PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun: pirate scenario

MaxWilson
2016-06-16, 05:29 PM
One of my players is running a solo campaign on the side. (That is, one player and one DM.) He's collected five NPC henchmen (rolled on 3d6), and is off hunting pirates. I've told him to prepare next session to face successive waves of six pirates (using Cultist stats) as his portion of the sea battle/boarding action. If his guys manage to survive three successive battles (taking down six pirates each time), I'll promote them to first level. If they manage to handle their own six and then also save the embattled section next door (for a total of twelve pirates) he'll also win reputation with the captain of his privateer and some extra XP.

Right now he's got a wannabe 0th level druid, a 0th level warlock (who is also a 9 year old little girl), a 0th level ex-wizard (who will become a wizard once more once he gets the hang of things again), a 0th level Barbarian, a 1st level Rogue, and the PC (2nd level Fighter w/ Mobile feat). The 0th level folks have their armor and weapon proficiencies (+1 proficiency bonus) but nothing else, and only half HP. He gets the next few days to prepare his battle plan and buy equipment and stuff; and it's very important to him to keep all these people alive because he really wants hirelings for this campaign instead of being on his own.

So, just for fun: if you were in his position, what would be your battle plan for bringing everybody through multiple battles alive?

JackPhoenix
2016-06-16, 06:04 PM
Is that a battle between two ships? Do anything you can to slow the pirates down. Oil (but watch for fire!), caltrops... marbles likely won't work, because ship's deck is moving.. Nets could work, but you'll want two-man team on each one, one throws, the other uses Help to negate disadvantage... they'll have hard time hitting as it is, you don't want more penalties.

Cultists lack ranged weapons... the weak characters should shoot at them from the rigging (or anywhere the enemy can't get at them). With half HP, they are at risk of getting insta-killed even by 1d6+1 damage, so you want to keep them out of melee... that's a job for the fighter and the rogue. If the PC is proficient in Athletics, pushing or grappling and dragging pirates overboard is a viable option, because you (depending on stats and weapon used) likely can't kill them in one hit. Hm... can you Shove (push) enemies from a distance using a reach weapon? Barbarian is the only one proficient in its use, but shove uses skill and not weapon proficiency anyway. Are the NPC's proficient in any skill?

INDYSTAR188
2016-06-16, 09:28 PM
Is that a battle between two ships? Do anything you can to slow the pirates down. Oil (but watch for fire!), caltrops... marbles likely won't work, because ship's deck is moving.. Nets could work, but you'll want two-man team on each one, one throws, the other uses Help to negate disadvantage... they'll have hard time hitting as it is, you don't want more penalties.

Cultists lack ranged weapons... the weak characters should shoot at them from the rigging (or anywhere the enemy can't get at them). With half HP, they are at risk of getting insta-killed even by 1d6+1 damage, so you want to keep them out of melee... that's a job for the fighter and the rogue. If the PC is proficient in Athletics, pushing or grappling and dragging pirates overboard is a viable option, because you (depending on stats and weapon used) likely can't kill them in one hit. Hm... can you Shove (push) enemies from a distance using a reach weapon? Barbarian is the only one proficient in its use, but shove uses skill and not weapon proficiency anyway. Are the NPC's proficient in any skill?

I was going to say something like this. I would try to find advantageous places of cover for the crew; behind the crates/barrels on the deck, on the forecastle, or even up the rigging in a crows nest.

Could the Barbarian wait for opportunities to bullrush an enemy off the deck and then get back to cover? Maybe they could swing the sail's yardarm (depending on the ship) to knock enemies prone. Or they could drop the rigging on a group of the enemies to restrain/prone a large number of them.

Edit: if these were my players I'm pretty sure they would then light the rigging/sail on fire. And not because its a good idea.

JeffreyGator
2016-06-17, 12:20 PM
I would consider giving the 0th level casters 1 cantrip each.

(if you agree with this firebolt for the wizard, minor illusion for the lock and frostbite on the druid
This gives the wizard a more reliable damage and some flexibility for the others.

Definitely put the zeros behind cover and ideally unapproachable.

Equip the lock with a light crossbow, the druid with javelins (or daggers/sling) if dex > str. (or everyone has a light crossbow since +1 proficiency isn't much better than average +1 or +2 damage)

This scenario is all about controlling action economy. You never want to let more than 2-3 cultists get attacking actions and need them centered on the level 2 fighter and missing. Best scenario is to block a doorway or a boarding plank with high ac and shield and go defensive while the ranged menagerie kills stuff coming toward you. One of the zeros helps the rogue so the rogue can SA for d8+d6+stat every round.

With second wind the fighter can take 7 or so average cultist hits and they should only hit 30% of the time less than 10% if they get disadvantage either from dodge 7 more if the fighter short rests between fights. More yet if you can have bought healing potions.

Your crew is killing 1-2 cultists per round from range and so for you to survive 12 rounds of attacks you need to be able to absorb quite a bit.
If only 2 can attack you per round because of terrain you are going to be fine with attacking on your own to kill faster. 24 attacks x 30% is right around your 7 hit threshold. If the fighter is defensive and 4 attackers come per round 90% missing means 5 hits total.

Regitnui
2016-06-17, 12:34 PM
The ideal scenario for ship-to-ship combat is to sink the opposition before boarding. :smallcool:

That's not the question, though. Assuming the cultists are going to be the aggressors, you want to a) limit the numbers they can get onto the ship at any one time, and b) use as much ranged damage as possible. A swords and axes fight might look courageous, but it's really one step short of defeat for a crew, especially a small crew. So, try to prevent them boarding you with more than one bridge, and you make that bridge route as costly as possible. Oil on their gangplank, ranged attackers from behind cover, caltrops, marbles, loose ropes and whatever else you can conjure up on short notice. A cannon, even if it is only capable of firing every other round, could be a powerful asset.

MaxWilson
2016-06-17, 02:17 PM
Yes, it's a battle between ships.

Having the proto-Barbarian push enemies off the ships is a great idea! We'll see if my player thinks to try it. I'd make it a twenty-foot fall, onto water so no damage, but danger of drowning and will delay the cultist in question for 1d3 rounds.

Edit: if these were my players I'm pretty sure they would then light the rigging/sail on fire. And not because its a good idea.

Heh. I know what you mean. :)