PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of the Scarlet Sun IC

Andrian
2016-06-16, 05:45 PM
For the past few days, the city of Magnimar has been in the grip of terror. A murderer stalks the city’s streets in the gloaming pre-dawn hours, and each morning it seems a new and freshly mutilated victim appears in an alley. There have been four bodies discovered to date—all worshipers of the goddess of healing and redemption, Sarenrae. The city guard desperately wants to catch the murderer, yet he is a cagey and elusive foe. In order to expedite the search, they have turned to you—known allies of Magnimar and strong heroes of the people—to aid them in stopping the culprit before he slays again.

http://i.imgur.com/6r94REh.png

You have been summoned by a member of the city guard named Kasadei, a no-nonsense woman who knows how to carry a weapon. Though she works for the law, she also has contacts among the criminal element - trading looking the other way on petty crimes in exchange for information. However. In this investigation, she's turned up empty. It seems that none of the local criminal organizations are responsible for these crimes, and some of them are unhappy with having a newcomer on their turf. With tensions rising, it's important to catch this serial killer before they can take any more lives.

"Alright, I've called the four of you in because I've heard you might have the skills we need to solve this case," Kasadei says once you're all assembled in her cramped office. "These have been some particularly brutal murders, all connected by a common theme. There have been four killings in all. All have taken place in the early dawn hours in the alleyways near the northwestern waterfront. It's in the Shadows, if you know where that is. Nasty part of town in the best of times, but worse these days, for obvious reasons."

"All four victims were worshippers of Sarenrae from out of town, taking what I'm told is called a dawnwalk. I'm sure Tolm can tell you more about that if you're curious. Each body was found with multiple stab wounds, and with the heart of the victim cut out."

"We've tried using magic to get more information from the victims. Apparently all of them were attacked from behind, so we don't have much to go on. Some of them noticed that everything went eerily quiet just before they were attacked, and one even got to see the dagger that killed her, and said that it had a symbol of a white feather dipped in blood on it. Any of you know what that symbol represents?"

Knowledge (Religion) rolls will give you information on the symbol for anyone who has the skill and wants to roll.

kamenhero25
2016-06-16, 06:41 PM
Aaron looks a bit out of place among the guards. He stands nearly a head taller than most people in the room and he has the look of someone who's always watching for someone trying to stab him in the back. Given the scars running along his arms and the painful looking on across his left cheek, perhaps people have tried more than a few times. The massive ax over his shoulder certainly seems to have seen quite a bit of use as well, though it's remarkably well polished and cared for.

"I can't say I recognize that symbol," he says in a low, surprisingly soft voice. "If I didn't know better, I'd think it was those Skinsaw lunatics from the Islet. But daggers and bloody wings aren't their thing. They prefer razor blades."

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-16, 10:26 PM
Tolm scratches at his chin, tattooed fingers poking out of a ratty glove. "Feathers, feathers..." he mutters, "Bloody feathers..."

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-17, 01:59 AM
Tolm scratches at his chin, tattooed fingers poking out of a ratty glove. "Feathers, feathers..." he mutters, "Bloody feathers..."

He shrugs. "I've got nothing. We should probably stab them extra thoroughly, though - just in case."

Gunhaven
2016-06-17, 05:04 AM
Angron chuckled at the request and continued to do so until the meeting began, saying to Kasadei "It's good to see your tactic paying off, Officer. I can't let murders happen wherever in MY city though." as people filtered in. The six foot even guard was obviously not human from first glance. His hair was the gray or worked iron, layered in a haphazard manner across his head. His skin was a coppery hue, covered in the outfit of one of the guard; albeit a bit outdated compared to their host. Strapped to his back was a greatclub that's seen plenty of use over the years, the barely visible sheen of enchantment keeping it together. Finally a pair of icy blue eyes seem to shine with a fury at what's happening to his city.
Once they knew what they were dealing with he clenched his fist and said "I haven't bled for this city since the beginning to seem some thug bleed us dry. You know, though, that I'm not trained in the religious arts. I simply perform Gorum's work and heal my comrades as needed in our glorious battle. If we can't find anything then I recommend we head to a temple to ask a proper priest." Then, realizing that maybe people don't enjoy the odd gladiator fight, he adds "Name's Angron. I remember when Kasadei here was a young upstart in the Watch. You folks, though, may know me better from my work in the arena."

RubyRose3141
2016-06-17, 08:08 PM
Chelsea seems relatively comfortable in the cramped space. She listens to Kasadei with interest, and quickly scratches down a few notes once the woman has finished speaking. A bloody feather… That was new. Sharp eyes dart from person to person as her new associates each spoke. She wasn't sure what to make of any of them just yet, though they'd certainly make for a... rather interesting group.

1d20+10

Andrian
2016-06-17, 08:21 PM
"None of our investigators could turn up anything about the symbol either," Kasadei replies. "I'm sure if you can catch the killer, we'll be able to question them and get the information out of them. In the meantime, we've been planning to try and lure the killer out of hiding and into an ambush. That's one reason I called you four here, especially you, Tolm. We need someone to serve as bait to lure the murderer out. Think you could go for a dawnwalk tomorrow in the Shadows?"

RubyRose3141
2016-06-17, 08:56 PM
Chelsea frowns slightly, then seems to perk up, a little light going on in her eyes. "Wait! I have seen this... It's a demon lord's symbol. Shax. Primarily deals with murder, lies..." Those pleasant sorts of things.

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-17, 08:56 PM
Tolm leans back, fingers tapping away at his thigh. "Let me see if I've got this right. You want me to walk around in one of the most dangerous parts of the city, in the mostly-dark, dressed up like the victims. You want me to be bait."
Tolm nods to himself. "Sounds fun! I assume you have a plan besides 'find another body in the morning'?"

Andrian
2016-06-17, 09:21 PM
Upon hearing Chelsea's report, the guardswoman nodded and jotted down the information on the pad of paper in front of her. "That might be an important clue. Certainly might tie in as part of the killer's motive."

Kasadei smiles at Tolm's enthusiasm. "Yeah. You'll have backup. These three..." she indicates the other adventurers, "will be hiding around your location, ready to take down the murderer before they can finish the job. Plus, the killer has been going for soft targets. They won't be expecting someone who can put up a fight."

She looks around the room. "I won't pretend it's not going to be dangerous, but it's something we need to do. A number of the city guard, including myself, will be stationed a little ways away. We'd be closer, but I don't think we'll be able to conceal my men properly without giving the game away. You four will have a better chance of actually luring the killer into the open if we're not around. Still, we'll be there to back you up, especially if things go south."

kamenhero25
2016-06-18, 12:05 AM
"The guardswoman makes a good plan," Aaron says with a small nod. "The best place to stab someone is in the back. And that's real easy when they're looking at someone else. Besides, it not all that hard to set up a good ambush when you're creepin' around the back alleys."

Gunhaven
2016-06-20, 06:50 AM
Angron pondered for a moment before he said "I'm not one for stealth myself. Could one of us more sneaky folk keep a lookout and alert us when the killer is present? That way I, and others who aren't stealthy, can wait in a room and pin it down when the killer appears. I should then be able to call upon Gorum to make the battle go in our favor."

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-20, 07:38 AM
"I'm fine with that, I guess. Just as long as you guys are actually suscessful in the 'keeping me from getting shanked' s ide of things."

RubyRose3141
2016-06-20, 06:54 PM
“That should be feasible.” Chelsea agrees with a slight nod. “It’s no greater risk than bringing those who are less skilled and hoping that all of us aren’t given away.”

Andrian
2016-06-20, 07:47 PM
Kasadei smiled in satisfaction as her plan was accepted. "Good. Glad that's settled, then. In the meantime, I suggest you ask around and see what you can find out. Maybe you lot will be able to turn up some information that we couldn't."

You have the rest of the day to talk to the townspeople or otherwise look for clues. Feel free to split up or stick together as you choose. You can roll Diplomacy checks to gather information, if you'd like.

kamenhero25
2016-06-20, 09:31 PM
Knowledge Local: [roll0]

Aaron uses a few 'friends' to point the party toward some people who might have information on the string of murders. He certainly has more than a few contacts in low places.

Gunhaven
2016-06-20, 09:58 PM
Angron pulls out his Tome of Epics, or as he likes to call it his "Book of Glorious Arena Matches" and thrums through it while mumbling to himself. Once he's sufficiently versed and practiced he accompanies any allies that remain nearby. For the most part he's friendly, if willing to use his position as a guard to sway opinions if talks are going south. After all he's gotten his hands dirty long before most of these whelps were even a thought in their parent's head and knows where to dispose the bodies.
Consulting Tome of Epics. Ideally I'd have done it in the morning but I didn't technically have it until the meeting started. It takes an hour otherwise for +2 Perform (Oratory and Vocal) as well as Know (Nobility) for heroic lineages.
Diplomacy Check: [roll0]
Intimidate Check: [roll1]
Sense Motive Check: [roll2]
None of this includes other things like Aid Another.

RubyRose3141
2016-06-21, 10:05 PM
Chelsea wastes no time after their group is dismissed, eager to learn as much as she can before their plan is actually put into action. She’s clearly more in her element now, with more than a little experience under her belt. For the most part she’s content to search on her own, checking in with her more regular sources of information first, and meeting with the rest of the group later to consolidate information and perhaps gain a little more insight into her new colleagues. After all, this would likely be the best chance she would get before this became serious, and she would rather know that she could trust them to watch her back before then.

Diplomacy:1d20+10+1d6
Sense Motive:1d20+10+1d6

Andrian
2016-06-23, 04:52 PM
Aaron and Angron interview a number of the townspeople, and are fortunate enough to land on some worshipers of Sarenrae. They are almost up in arms over the killings, and keep talking about how the guard needs to do a better job protecting the city from evils such as this. Though there is no temple of Sarenrae, Aaron does know of one old priest who has been around for a long time.

"It's a shame," the priest says wistfully. "That we followers of the Dawnflower are still finding ourselves victims to criminals after all these years."

Chelsea strikes out on her own investigation, and her trail soon leads in a very different direction. Her interviews with the townspeople soon turn up stories of flapping sounds outside their windows or of scratching noises on the roofs. Then she stumbles across a dwarven vagrant called Antbeard who is very interested in telling her what he saw.

"It were a demon, I say!" the old dwarf exclaims. "A huge, red demon, flyin' over the town with someone caught in its talons! I sawr it only a few nights ago!" Antbeard gestures, making hideous faces and pretending to fly. "Carried the poor soul through a hole in the roof of an old shrine tae the south of here, it did!"

kamenhero25
2016-06-23, 06:56 PM
"All these years?" Aaron asks. "This has happened before? I hadn't heard anything about that before..."

Andrian
2016-06-24, 05:38 AM
"Ah, you're too young to have heard about it," the old priest replies. "About 80 years ago, a man named Volsten tried to build a shrine in the Shadows. He figured that such a place could use the light of the Dawnflower more than anywhere else. Alas, it seemed not even Sarenrae's light could protect him when thugs attacked him and his two acolytes. The three died in the streets and were buried in the graveyard behind the shrine. The place was abandoned after that, and we haven't had a decent place to worship the goddess since."

(By the way, I didn't mention this before, but it's very important. The Shadows is called thus because it's literally almost always in shadow. There's a huge section of ancient, ruined bridge overhead called the Irespan that blocks out the sun.)

kamenhero25
2016-06-24, 07:32 PM
"That sounds like something that we should take a look at. Have there ever been similar occurrences? Maybe at an oddly specific time of year or spaced the same amount of time apart. We have reason to think that the recent killings are religiously motivated, and ritual is important is such things."

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-24, 09:29 PM
Having accompanied Chelsea, Tolm listens to the Dwarf, raising a finger to interject. "Just a minor question, but if it was dark, how did you the beasty? How low was it flying? How far away's the temple?"

Gunhaven
2016-06-24, 10:23 PM
Angron chuckled at the comment before growing serious once again. His tone was one of the guard, gathering the requisite information. "I remember when that happened now that you mention it. Of course I remained near Seacliff Spire, before it was destroyed, most of the time. You remember that time?" He cracked a grin at his little comment about the history of the city as he continued to speak. "Us devout always have trouble with thugs that don't believe. Why do you think I joined the Watch in the first place, back when it was the guards who helped protect the pilgrims to this fine place? It's best we stick together so that we can fight back against that which would silence us." He wrapped an arm around the old priest as if the two were a pair of old pals and grinned at the man.

Andrian
2016-06-25, 09:18 AM
"That sounds like something that we should take a look at. Have there ever been similar occurrences? Maybe at an oddly specific time of year or spaced the same amount of time apart. We have reason to think that the recent killings are religiously motivated, and ritual is important is such things."

Angron chuckled at the comment before growing serious once again. His tone was one of the guard, gathering the requisite information. "I remember when that happened now that you mention it. Of course I remained near Seacliff Spire, before it was destroyed, most of the time. You remember that time?" He cracked a grin at his little comment about the history of the city as he continued to speak. "Us devout always have trouble with thugs that don't believe. Why do you think I joined the Watch in the first place, back when it was the guards who helped protect the pilgrims to this fine place? It's best we stick together so that we can fight back against that which would silence us." He wrapped an arm around the old priest as if the two were a pair of old pals and grinned at the man.

The priest looks rather disgruntled at the arm being slung around his shoulder."N-no... I can't think of any more crimes against the followers of Sarenrae... Aren't the ones we've been dealing with enough?" he answers to Aaron. Then, turning to Angron, he adds, "And I've never felt the city guards have done a very good job of protecting the faithful. This latest rash of murders proves it!"

Having accompanied Chelsea, Tolm listens to the Dwarf, raising a finger to interject. "Just a minor question, but if it was dark, how did you the beasty? How low was it flying? How far away's the temple?"

The dwarf taps his temple sagely. "I'm a dwarf, laddie! We can see just fine even in the pitch dark!" Antbeard crosses his arms. "As fer how low it were flyin', I'd say it were only just above the chimney tops. And I can give ye directions tae the shrine if ye'd like." He draws a crude map in the dirt and gives some directions to the abandoned shrine.

RubyRose3141
2016-06-25, 08:40 PM
Well, this was turning into a very interesting case. Normally, Chelsea would have been more apt to disbelieve such wild stories as this, but quite a few pieces were falling into place. She offers Tolm a slight smile at his questions as well, and the answers only affirm the idea that this may very well be worth looking into. If this creature was often flying low, the sounds that others had heard made sense. And considering that they already had reason to believe the culprit was some sort of demon worshipper, it wasn’t quite so far fetched.

Chelsea takes down the directions to the old shrine, then nods slightly. “Thank you, you’ve been a great help.” She tells the rather enthusiastic dwarf. For as eccentric as he seemed, he may have given them a good lead.

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-25, 08:57 PM
Well, this was turning into a very interesting case. Normally, Chelsea would have been more apt to disbelieve such wild stories as this, but quite a few pieces were falling into place. She offers Tolm a slight smile at his questions as well, and the answers only affirm the idea that this may very well be worth looking into. If this creature was often flying low, the sounds that others had heard made sense. And considering that they already had reason to believe the culprit was some sort of demon worshipper, it wasn’t quite so far fetched.

Chelsea takes down the directions to the old shrine, then nods slightly. “Thank you, you’ve been a great help.” She tells the rather enthusiastic dwarf. For as eccentric as he seemed, he may have given them a good lead.
Tolm nods and passes the man a piece of gold. "Thanks for the tip. We'll take a gander."

Gunhaven
2016-06-26, 04:38 PM
Angron looked temporarily offended at the comment and said "We aren't Riddleport or Korvosa at least. Besides, doesn't Sarenrae have a temple here? That's a lot better than what Our Lord in Iron has. Closest He's got is the Arena as far I can tell." He remained right next to the man as he spoke, apparently not phased by any discomfort he's causing.

Andrian
2016-06-27, 05:24 AM
The old priest shakes his head. "No, there's no temple to Sarenrae here. Ever since that shrine was abandoned, we've had no place to worship the Dawnflower." He attempts to extricate himself from Angron's embrace. "Anyway, I must be going. I like to do my devotions before sunset, and it's getting late."

kamenhero25
2016-06-27, 05:24 PM
"Aye, and I want to see this abandoned shrine while we still have the light. Come on Angron." Aaron gestures for the other man to follow.

Gunhaven
2016-06-27, 06:10 PM
With a nod, Angron says "A good start. It was a pleasure talking to you, citizen." Angron will finally leave the old man alone at head out to check the shrine with some measure of bravado as if there was nothing to fear with the area.

Andrian
2016-06-29, 04:31 PM
The party regroups at the old shrine, quite by accident. The sun has all but set by now, and it's practically dusk as the group of adventurers arrives at the abandoned building. The windows have long since been smashed in, leaving glittering shards of stained glass on the floors inside. Overhead, the Irespan looms, dark and forbidding.

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-29, 06:14 PM
The party regroups at the old shrine, quite by accident. The sun has all but set by now, and it's practically dusk as the group of adventurers arrives at the abandoned building. The windows have long since been smashed in, leaving glittering shards of stained glass on the floors inside. Overhead, the Irespan looms, dark and forbidding.
"Heh. Fancy meeting you guys here," Tolm says. "We're here because of some 'demon'. You?"
Casting Light on an arrow, he tosses it through one of the windows.

kamenhero25
2016-06-29, 07:27 PM
"Last time there was a murder of a Sarenite priest, he was trying to build this place. If some demon cultist was behind the killings, that seems to be the kind of thing he'd be attracted to. We figured that it would be best to get a good look at the place and see if there was anything useful."

Gunhaven
2016-06-30, 03:51 PM
Angron nodded once before he got out his Any Tool and began to fiddle with it. As he worked he said "Good thing we're all well rested, right? Now then, that should do it." One final pop and the tool was transformed into a shovel, which Angron casually rested on his shoulder as he strode toward the shrine. He kept an eye and ear out, trusting in Gorum to protect him in case of trouble.
Fiddling with the Traveler's Any Tool (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/traveler-s-any-tool) to make a shovel.
Then casting Guidance and having a look around/ear open in case of danger: [roll0]

RubyRose3141
2016-07-01, 09:27 PM
The young woman was more than a little surprised that their entire group had crossed paths here, though it was likely a good sign. "Seems that we're likely in the right place." She notes. After all, what were the chances that two false leads would bring them to the same location?

As Angron heads into the ruins of the old shrine, Chelsea follows closely after. If this was the right location, then it was far too dangerous to let him just wander in on his own. And an extra set of eyes never hurt anyone.
[roll0]

Andrian
2016-07-16, 03:17 AM
The doors to the shrine are unlocked, and in some cases missing. Inside, the floor is covered in broken glass. There are a number of pews as well, some of which are broken. There's also a large hole in the roof, matching Antbeard's story. Around the back of the shrine, you find a graveyard, and Chelsea can tell that the graves have been freshly dug up. Behind some ivy, Angron finds a door which appears to be in excellent condition. If tried, the door is found to be locked.

GreyStormcrow
2016-07-17, 05:52 PM
After scoping out the inside through the broken window, Tolm tries the door. "Locked? Anyone remember to bring a set of picks?"
He smirks. "Oh - wait. I did. "
He mutters a few words under his breath. Then, bring his arms back, he slams them forward, sending a blast of flame smashing into the wooden door.
Burning Hands. The door is at the very beginning of the cone. The door will catch fire if it survives.
Damage: [roll0].

kamenhero25
2016-07-17, 08:44 PM
Aaron rolls his eyes. "You do realize that I have lockpicks in my pocket right? Perhaps you should try not setting the building on fire and waiting for the man who actually knows how to open locks to give it a try."

RubyRose3141
2016-07-17, 09:37 PM
Chelsea is both excited and concerned by the scene they find within the old shrine. On one hand, it seemed that they likely had found a solid lead. On the other, that wasn't exactly good news from every angle. "Careful." She advises. "If that hole in the roof is any indication, our dwarven friend's 'demon' has definitely been here. And the graves behind the building were only recently dug up." Meaning that this place probably wasn't as abandoned as they'd been led to believe, and Chelsea wasn't eager to draw any extra attention to their presence here. They had planned to try and get a drop on the killer, after all, and not the other way around.

Gunhaven
2016-07-17, 11:02 PM
Angron chuckled quietly as the door was bombarded with flames before clearing his throat. He speaks in an authoritative voice, like a stern father, "In the name of the City Watch, I decree that this is a crime scene." He put away the shovel and got out his greatclub as he inspected the damage done by the cone of flame. While still facing the door he says "The picks may have been better. Who knew what laid on the other side? But with Gorum's blessing all damage can eventually be mended."

kamenhero25
2016-07-18, 08:10 AM
"Dug up graves... necromancy most likely. No better way to target Sarenrae's faith than with the creatures she despises most. And I'm sure demon cultists have little care for making use of the resources at their disposal." He slings his oversized ax over his shoulder and absently checks the numerous pouches on his bandoleer, checking through a number of vials full of strangely colored liquids. "Well, let's see what's behind door number one then."

GreyStormcrow
2016-07-18, 09:04 AM
Aaron rolls his eyes. "You do realize that I have lockpicks in my pocket right? Perhaps you should try not setting the building on fire and waiting for the man who actually knows how to open locks to give it a try."

"Sure - but where's the fun in that?"