View Full Version : [EMPIRE 2] A Secret Meeting (Invite Only)

Gengy
2016-06-16, 06:31 PM
((The following thread is an invitation only meeting for the EMPIRE 2 game. If you did not receive an invitation - unless you are QuintonBeck, because, well, GM can be doing GM things - please refrain from participating. We cannot stop you from reading, but we'd ask you not to. We just didn't want to blow up our PM inboxes, so this thread has been started.))

The following missive is found in Lady Aleuta's personal chamber, conspicuously left upon her pillow. It is a folded letter, sealed with wax marked with the fist of the Iron Gauntlet. When the letter is opened, a familiar iron coin falls out.

Please properly dispose of this letter after reading, for if the information herein contained fell into the wrong hands, it would be most unfortunate for both of us.

I deeply regret my inability to act in such a manner as to save the young Branwen Morrig's life. I trust that you will pass my condolence to the Lord Winter. I too have lost children to the Aktí woman.

But I must warn you that you have begun snooping about in affairs which you are terribly ill prepared to handle. Francesca Dumont's band of heretics are far more dangerous than you believe, a fact I know because I trained many of them myself and should have been illustrated to you by the swath of powerful bodies they have left behind over the last two decades. You may well be doing nothing more than painting a target upon your own back. "Dumont" is far more resourceful than you would ever be willing to believe.

I have already placed agents within striking distance of her and her leadership, embedded within her organization. I would gladly wield such a sword in the name of vengeance, but I will need more time. With proper preparation and luck, I could wipe every trace of her and her band of miscreants from the face of Arandi. The imposition of Aeldir agents, however, could easily undo all I've sought to accomplish.

Should you be willing to be patient and back my endeavors, there is a fountain in your city, not far from you, where the setting sun paints a great palette of colors across the sky. A certain coin should make its way into the waters. Perhaps then, if you wish, a more formal meeting could be arranged.

Thread carefully,
The Shrouded Lord,
Hochmeister of the Iron Gauntlet

P.S. Why've you no guards on the roof? There are assassins about, you know.

The signature appears to have been signed with blood.

The agent that had delivered the letter to Caer Bolberta, in the heart of Glaw Novo, was likely very surprised to find a return letter already on their person before they managed to leave the island of Tir Amser. The Spring Aeldir were not strong like the Summer Court. They were not as beautiful and imposing as the Autumn Aeldir. They could not inspire fear and power like the ancient Aeldir of Winter.

No. They were none of these things. And yet... somehow they had managed to survive through the Ages of Seasons, struggling to seat themselves upon the Rose Throne more than once. And the Age of Conflict, they had been just as crafty and clever as ever, keeping war from the peaceful purple forests of Glaw Novo by mostly making sure it happened elsewhere. They were equals to any other Aeldir, just in different ways, even if the rest of the world only saw small children with pointy ears. And what set them apart, more than the other Courts, was their ability to hide and sate their curiosity. Spys was a relatively new term for Arandi, but in truth, the Spring Aeldir had been spies for Ages and Ages.

The hardest part about following the agent of the Iron Gauntlet had nothing to do with tracking them. Spring Aeldir knew every nook and cranny within Glaw Novo that could be hidden in, and while it was very impressive that the agent had managed to slip the watchful attention of the guards more than once, the Spring Court were masters of 'The Game'. In the Geshem Expanse, the Gesh had taken to calling it 'Hide and Seek', and it was a children's game, with chasing and laughing. In Glaw Novo, it was just... 'The Game'. And there was no chasing, though there was laughing. The purple forests provided spots for hiding, and so that's what Spring Aeldir did for fun. They hid. They moved. They hid again. If they were spotted, they lost. If they spotted their fellows before that, though, they won. It was perhaps more complex than that, but in the simplest terms, it was and is just 'Hide' without the seek.

So the hardest part of tracking the Iron Gauntlet... messenger... was not keeping eyes upon the clumsy, tall, visitor from outside of Glaw Novo; it was not giggling as the Spring Aeldir moved out of their way, so that the agent could get closer to the castle built in the trees of Caer Bolberta; the home of Lady Spring. It was not moving from mirth, as they scanned the treetops for guards who did not wish to be seen. It was not laughing as they came in from the highest point of the stone works, and slipped into what was the most impressive guest quarters to leave their note next to a pillow that no Aeldir had ever used. Lady Spring was interrupted from her secluded meditations - much elsewhere in Caer Bolberta - as Aeldir do not 'sleep' in the way that non-Aeldir do. Her bodyguard, Eoghan, was grinning, right up until the moment that she said, "How do you know they weren't expecting this very thing to happen? I have been in seclusion; that is no secret. A skilled assassin might very well send in a decoy to attract attention, and then follow in their wake. Have we not done something similar in Ages past? And now - though I doubt this is the case - if they actually did wish to kill me, they would only need to follow the person who picked up the letter to bring it to me."

With that, she hastily scrawled a reply, and Eoghan himself made sure that it was slipped onto the agent's person before they could get off of the island.

Hochmeister of the Iron Gauntlet,

Your agent is not dead. Consider that my indication that a meeting is desired. But it will not be in the way you have indicated. No. Skilled though you likely are - moreso, I suspect, than the fairly obvious messenger that only managed to slip my guards attentions thrice - it would still be bothersome for you to travel all the way through Glaw Novo to the nearest fountain of water within Caer Bolberta. So instead, two months from now, I and my bodyguard will await you in the same clearing that I met the Green Man, many years ago. It is off the coast of my lands, near the docks of Ian Porffor. In this way, you may slip in and out of my lands as quickly as possible, once our discussions have reached a satisfying conclusion.

The Aeldir are more patient then you know. These next two months will go quite quickly from my perspective. My rage, however, will not abate. Though only a small babe, Branwen Morrig was Aeldir, even if only half. If you do not - personally - meet with me at the appointed time, all of the Iron Gauntlet will be hunted down. Old and new will matter to me as much as they did before reading your note: not at all. My death, should it come at the hands of some inept assassin, will not be the end of any retribution, but the beginning of something much worse. I almost welcome the idea of what it would mean for an assassin to slay a Season, for there would be even less of a chance of survival for anyone involved; not that there is much hope now.

You send a messenger to set up a meeting to try and stop me from launching a full scale investigation. I think you are mistaken; if there is to be a meeting, it will be to determine the degree of which the wrath of the Aeldir finds and seeks out those responsible for the death of a young babe. There is no stopping me. There is no asking for mercy. If your hands were on the weapon that slew anyone that the Aeldir considered an ally, do not bother to come. We will not support the acts of crass killers.

If however, you feel you personally are blameless, and wish to impart some wisdom upon me, I will hear it. I might even be convinced to be patient, but I cannot forestall the acts of Ambrose or the Winter Court without a significant reason. Come prepared with answers and information, or do not come at all. Know there are consequences for either choice, but the former will at least allow you to speak with me.

I care not either way,
Lady Spring
Aleuta Kellianth

Two months later...

The Docks of Ian Porffor
Glaw Novo, Arandi Calendar y. 136
A Secret Meeting

Ian Porffor was quiet. The docks were well known for being the place to perfect the secrets of Clinker Wood Ships, but just two days ago, Lady Spring had swept into town from Caer Bolberta, and ordered every military Snekkja ship to begin making maneuvers to the north and south. The Spring Boys who usually populated Ian Porffor - sailors and scouts for those Snekkja - were all sleeping aboard their ships far away, and the port and docks were near ghostly in the middle of the night.

Just up the hill from the docks themselves, overlooking the now empty wooden rails that jutted out into the ocean as places for ships to pull in to, was a small clearing and pavilion. In the middle of the day, the clearing is open and bright, surrounded by three sides by beautiful, blissful purple trees that swayed gently in the wind. The pavilion was well crafted wood, carved and majestic in the sunlight.

In the night, though, like now, the only light coming from the pavilion is a small Xungla Crystal held by Lady Spring herself. Aleuta sat with care upon the bench under the pavilion's roof, her feet swinging under her, not touching the ground. The bench was clearly meant to be made for a height that was uncommon in the Spring Courtlands; but it was ideal for meeting with important dignitaries from other nations. Aleuta, though, was annoyed.

Not at sitting on the bench; no. She had done so before. Mostly, meetings here were quite successful. The Green Man, for one, was a marked success that ensured that the people of Ian Porffor treated this pavilion with extreme care. She hoped that no one would know of tonight's meeting as much as the man from the Mysterious Isle. Aleuta had made every effort to inform only those that mattered. Lord Summer was told - almost as an after thought - as this was a matter of security for the island, and it would not be wise to not at least inform Turien Drustan that a self-professed leader of assassins was to be visiting Tir Amser. Lady Autumn was given a rough idea of the diplomatic hopes that Aleuta thought might come of this meeting; if anything happened at all.

And Lord Winter...

Well. Lord Winter was informed. He, more than any, had the right to know. Lady Spring did not have records to indicate if Balor Morrig had ever had progeny before, but it was thought unlikely, and no one was willing to ask the eldest of Aeldir. Also, Aleuta hoped that the special bodyguard she had requested would arrive in time, though Eoghan was hidden nearby in the event that did not occur. No silly ill-fitting armor for the Spring Boy tonight; or ridiculous spear. Eoghan wore personally tailored Splint Mail, and at his back, two Coldblood Alloy swords that were almost as tall as he; the whole day, he had spent trying to convince Aleuta of how foolish this was, and when she tired of him just doing his job as her bodyguard, she would let him know. As of yet, it had not happened. He amused her for some reason that should could not place.

Eoghan, for his part, was quite certain he was experiencing love for his Lady Spring, and he knew he would die before he saw her give her last breath. Not that he would tell her either of these things. And so, far from the pavilion itself, he watched the single light in the ghostly quiet town of Ian Porffor. He watched, and he waited, confident in his skill; but more confident in the skill of the hundreds of Spring Boys that would be returning in the morning... and in the special bodyguard that Eoghan too hoped would arrive.

Yet, Aleuta remained alone. And she was annoyed. She had something important that she was working on. It was taking her months of seclusion, and she was so close to being done. Every note of her work had been given to her Best Friend, in the event that this meeting went... in an unexpected and unwelcome manner. It would still take Gwyndulin months to sort through it all, ciphered in the way that it was. However, no matter how important Aleuta's private project was, the death of a half-Aeldir baby at the hands of the Iron Gauntlet was unacceptable; to be seen to do nothing in response would be extremely foolish. Especially when this matter concerned both the Rose Demesne and the League of Allied Provinces.

And so Aleuta was here, in Ian Porffor. If the so-called Shrouded Lord did not show, Aleuta's annoyance would blossom like a Violet Rose's first bloom: large and vibrant, it would be a thing of beauty. She would direct every asset available to her, to the Winter Court, to the Queendom of Aonvlea, and to the Demesne's allies within the Primus Imperium and Ambrose, and Arandi would only be able to stand by and watch. Death after death might come; to the leaders of Arandi, to the leaders of the Demesne, but the Spring Court would need to no longer contain a single Girl before it would stop trying to find the murderers of Branwen Morrig.

BootStrapTommy
2016-06-16, 10:12 PM
The crow fluttered down just inside the entrance to the pavilion, with a resounding caawww! It stared intently at Aleuta before fluttering back outside the structure landing upon a nearby tree. The bird stared into the pavilion at Aleuta almost mockingly, before letting at another abrupt cackle.

Visible through the tree, a single light burst into view up the beach, a lone campfire outside the town near the docks. The bird turned to look at the fire, then back to the Spring Lady, again calling to the Aeldir.

It was then that rang clear the notes of a distant harp, playing a slow and mournful dirge.

The Shrouded Lord sat on the beach next to his camp fire, plucking his harp. He was dressed head to toe in a hooded loose fitting black garb, his face hidden under a featureless black mask, which seemed iridescent in the moonlight. The Aeldir were beginning to remind him of an enemy centuries past, both haughty and cocksure. In his experience, those qualities got people killed.

TheDarkDM
2016-06-17, 01:12 AM
As fire flickered to life on the distant beach, a spectral figure approached the pavilion. Resplendent in white down to the wooden haft of his axe and leather grip of his sword, The Dullahan appeared as if from some distant nightmare. Like a pale shadow he ascended the steps and favored the Lady Spring with a deep bow.

<"My apologies, Lady Spring. There were some final arrangements that required my attention. Though it appears your guest has taken the liberty of choosing a second location for this meeting.">

Black eyes stared down at the beach, catching the light of fire and crystal both, a pair of warring stars in oiled mirrors.

<"Do you imagine he intends to remain down there all night?">

Gengy
2016-06-17, 08:35 AM
<"No apologies needed, Dullahan."> Any other time, and Aleuta would be moving very quickly away from Lugh Anann. Lord Winter's second was not a crass killer, but if there was someone alive on Arandi whom could possibly claim to have more blood on their hands than the Dullahan - supposed killings or real, it did not matter - Aleuta did not wish to meet them. In theAge of Conflict, he was the thing that went bump in the night, and there were still a few remaining members of the Spring Court whom were vocal about working so closely with the Winter Court... not because of Lord Winter, but because of the Dullahan.

Yet tonight, he was not the specter of fear for the minds of Aeldir; he was the specter of fear for the Aeldir. Lady Spring would stand by her bodyguard Eoghan any day, and was quite sure of the Spring Boy's skill... but she was quite relieved to see the Lugh Anann here tonight. <"And I do not call upon the Knight Winter for a guest. No, he is a... visitor. As to whether he will stand by his fire, and we by our crystal...?">

Aleuta had been considering the matter before the Dullahan arrived. So far, she had not yet moved. Her new Best Friend Gwyndulin would have stubbornly remained, not talking to the visitor, for as long as the night continued, until he left. She had... notions... about the imperious nature of her position, and the position of Lady Spring, that Aleuta hoped could be corrected. The absolute power that Lady Spring had once had was purposely put aside frequently; it had to be, as even though Lady Autumn was the diplomat of the four Seasons, Lady Spring still needed to remain friendly to others. Especially others whom viewed themselves as Kings and Queens, lords and masters of their realm. Gwyndulin didn't understand that yet, even though she had spent time with other world leaders. Perhaps it was because of her time underground with the Prevaz, or spent healing in the lands of the Crystal Union with Queen Lilia that Gwyndulin had a world-view that disagreed with Aleuta's own. Indeed; Gwyndulin would turn this into a match of whom could be the most stubborn, and refuse to move, even if it meant spending an unpleasant evening in the presence of the Dullahan and having the story of "nothing happened" being reported back to Lord Winter. And she would be right to do so. The meeting place should have been upon Lady Spring's terms, and to move would be to shift the dynamic of whom was in charge here. Aleuta was very tempted to start discussing with the Dullahan what it was like to have a family like other non-Aeldir, and if being wed to a Queen pleased the Knight Winter or not.

She was about to say something to start such a conversation, when she had another thought. Her real best friend - the one whom would remain within her heart of hearts, no matter the titles give to others - Kellianth would have gone done to the beach. She would have gone down unconcerned, with perhaps a skip in her step, still assured that any threat changing locations would cause could be surmounted by her own skill and the skill of the Dullahan. The beach, after all, was still Ian Porffor. Was still Glaw Novo. Was still Tir Amser. Their home. Their land. With a smile, Aleuta remembered that Gwyndulin never did much like Kellianth, even if the new Best Friend respected the old one; for Kellianth had been old. She had seen more Ages than many within the Spring Court could recall, and she had worked tirelessly, in the background, quietly - oh so quietly - towards her goals, not caring a whit about what anyone thought. She had been a force that had driven the Spring Court for Ages, even when just a Spring Girl herself.

Lady Spring, Aleuta Kellianth stood from her bench, and spoke once again to the Dullahan, the smile upon her lips growing slowly, <"Perhaps we are being inconsiderate. You or I are used to Tir Amser, and this night bothers us not at all. Perhaps, however, the so-called Shrouded Lord is unable to move from the fire not from the light it provides, but from the thing it gives that a Xungla Crystal does not: heat. He could be ever so cold elsewhere. Since he has been so kind to come to Tir Amser, and as you are here now, I see no reason as to why we should not humor him a little; lest we both stand here uncomfortably in the chill of the night while he stands warm near a fire.">

This was to say nothing of the fact that Aleuta had changed the meeting place once already; it was petty of the Shrouded one to change it again, but Lady Spring could overlook such pettiness. She walked down to the beach, trusting in the Dullahan to follow in her wake.

As she approached the fire, Lady Spring came to a halt, just outside of the firelight, and said in the Luskan Trade Language, "It is a lovely night. I would hate for it to end in death. If you are the one who calls himself Hochmeister, the Shrouded Lord, speak. If you are not him, then run. Run fast as you can, for the Knight Winter is my bodyguard this night, and he may very well enjoy a chase for his trouble of coming all this way. I hope, however, that we can be pleasant. Choose your words carefully. Tir Amser will not abide lies."

BootStrapTommy
2016-06-17, 11:00 AM
The crow sat by the fire next to him, interested in something which it pecked at angrily on the ground. The Shrouded Lord was aware of Aeldir long before they came into sight; even then his back was turned to them. When the Lady Spring spoke, the Shrouded Lord remained silent for a moment as he finished his song.

Finally he spoke, in the Aeldir Tongue. "I love the water. I was born in it, you know. It is a shame it has been over a century since I last took the time to enjoy its beauty. Such a powerful, patient thing. In time, water makes short work of everything. The rocks, the mountains, the land itself. The ocean was here long before any of us, and she will remain long after any of us are gone."

The Shrouded Lord finally turned to look at the Aeldir. "The one who set the conditions for bloodshed was you, my dear. I've had my eyes on you this whole time. By falling for such an obvious ruse and not following the procedures I requested, you put a great many persons at risk, including people we both care about. All in a vain attempt at pride. I offer my aid against a common enemy, and caution you to let me educate you upon the enemy before you act. You respond with blustering and threats of violence. Men could have died because of you."

He place his harp on the ground next to him, a gauntleted hand caressing the instrument. "But that is the Aeldir's thing, isn't it? The presumption of knowledge. A belief in your own infallibility. One would have thought age would temper such foolishness, not enforce it. I've fought worse than the Dullahan, my lady. He does not possess the knowledge to kill me. Sure he might destroy this face. But this face is only one of many I've worn over the centuries. Ultimately, that is what this is about. Knowledge, the truest weapon. Tell me, what do you actually know about the Iron Gauntlet?"

Gengy
2016-06-17, 11:56 AM
So many responses. So many points to make. Aleuta swallowed them all. Arguing with this man was pointless. It was obvious he saw himself as above it all, and though Aleuta very much doubted that there was anything that the Dullahan could not kill, it just wasn’t worth the time and effort it would take to correct him. At least, however, he spoke in the first tongue.

<”Not enough.”> Aleuta responded. <”Assassins for hire. Killers of kings and queens. Bold, yes, but too crass for the Aeldir. We were content to leave the Gauntlet be, so long as they listened to our warning: touch not the Aeldir. This… new faction your letter spoke of does not seem to care much for our warning. And so we feel compelled to show them. Yet here you are; I am assuming to try to tell me to have patience, but I am hoping you will tell me more than that.">

<"Now, I could stand here and try some kind of posturing match; blustering, as you say. I could try to care that people have almost died for you to come here. To try and care about your discomfort. To try and explain that Aeldir do not make threats, because a threat implies that it might not happen that way. Or I can ignore all of that, and tell you that you have a very limited time to tell me why in all of Arandi I should care about anything other than seeing everything related to the Iron Gauntlet burned to the ground.”>

Aleuta’s slow smile turned cold, as it no longer reached her eyes. The firelight flickered in them, as though there really was nothing more that she would like to do then see the Iron Gauntlet gone. <”And I am the friendliest of Aeldir. It is in… what is the phrase… my> job description? <”Anyone else, and your letter most likely would have been ignored. I don’t care how long you have been watching me. I only care about answers. Speak, and explain why I should not just let you watch me walk away.”>

BootStrapTommy
2016-06-17, 01:23 PM
The Shrouded Lord stood. "Blustering, indeed. There you go again. If this is how you treat those who offer their friendship, it is no wonder you've so many enemies." His tones was mocking. "I stand on your own shores, alone and unarmed. Yet you continue your threats. And that is exactly what they are. Threats. My people were here long before the Aeldir. Like the ocean, when the last Aeldir perishes, they will still abide. It is not within your power to change that, whatever you may think on the matter."

He laughed. "The Gauntlet walks among you, Lady Spring. They are your friends, your family, your adversaries. People you trust and ones you do not even see. I founded them with a sole purpose: to ensure the survival of my people. But we are not crass killers. Soldiers are crass killers," his eyes settled on the Dullahan, "we are a precise instrument. Why let thousands needlessly die, when one man's life would do?"

"The Iron Gauntlet did not kill the Lord Winter's son. Francesca Dumont's imposters did. But her agents, like mine, are everywhere. They could be watching us right now. That is why we now stand at the beach, so the waves might mask our words. Because rather than respect my request, which was designed to ensure the secrecy of this discussion from our mutual enemy, you've emptied a whole harbor. All for your pride."

"I came here to tell you that Dumont's followers are everywhere; they watch your moves and prepare accordingly. They are capable of turning your most stalwart companions against you, and there is little you could do to stop them. They are not merely assassins, they are chameleons and changelings capable of going completely unnoticed should they so wish. But I've men on the inside, loyal blades I put in place following Exarch Llywellyn's death, capable of cutting the head from the snake. I intended to offer, if you permitted me the time to prepare, to wield that sword in Branwen Morrig's name, because I already know where these heretics are. But that is slowly becoming a bitter pill to swallow, given your behavior."

The tone of his voice changed, as if his anger had suddenly dissipated. "And perhaps I just might swallow it. Should you so desire, my men might decapitate the beast, so that Rose Demesne and her allies might easily sweep up the remains. I fear without my help on the inside, the heretics will merely scatter and eventually regroup. But my assets are not yet fully in place, nor has the proper intelligence been collected on their targets. Given that chance, I can all but assure your success."

Gengy
2016-06-17, 01:40 PM
If the Shrouded Lord was as old as he said he was, he would have been alive when the Old Gods walked the earth. He should also have had more… finesse. If he was unable to anticipate the actions of someone he was trying to meet with – such as knowing she would change the location – then he was not nearly as skilled as Aeldir. It wasn’t just about knowing what you would do; it was about knowing what your counterparts would do. You could not write their fates, but you could write their options.

Still… There was no use for it. Whether what the Shrouded Lord said was true about his age (highly unlikely), what he was offering was worth discussing. And this was shaping firmly into a deal which was clearly in Lady Spring’s purview. And if he was willing to swallow his own pride, Lady Aleuta was willing to listen. <”Tell me what you would need from us.”>

BootStrapTommy
2016-06-17, 04:23 PM
The Shrouded Lord stood still and silent for a moment, before responding. "I would say your skills at subterfuge, yet my agent witnessed the extent of that while you were tested and distracted by my obvious messenger. I'd asked for what you had yet uncovered, but that distraction already provided me that opportunity. So I suppose what I need is your cooperation. Who better to organize this coalition of the heretics' enemies than the Aeldir? Temper your allies responses and offer your guiding hand, so that when we strike, we can do so in perfect unison. I will provide you with what information I possess and obtain, under the condition that you feed me what information you might yet obtain. And when the time comes, we will hopefully devise a plan to ensure that Dumont's thugs have nowhere to run." The crow let out a loud caawww, as if in agreement.

I had hoped to get a Luck 5 that, in conjunction with the Old Gauntlet (+Die to the assassination), I could almost assure that I succeeded in assassinating the New Gauntlet's leadership. But that would be round 21. What the Shrouded Lord is suggesting is that the Old Gauntlet join a coalition that could attack in unison next round (or 21, if you're feeling patient) presumably in a manner that would be most effective at addressing a multinational guild of assassins that may possess Pendrel. I feel like having double agents within the New Gauntlet is an obvious benefit to the effort.

The information sharing part probably would not provide you with any real mechanical benefit. Just an RP thing. But basically, I'm letting you know that the Old Gauntlet would aid you if you can organize a international effort to strike the New Gauntlet in unison.

Also, the Lady Spring's mental criticism of the Shrouded Lord is rather amusing, given she wanted to meet up in an open area surrounded by trees on a hill (hello acoustics and hiding places) to discuss an enemy organization that may possess mind control parasites capable of possessing bugs. :smallamused:

Also, he never claimed to be that old. He claimed the Pendrel were that old.

Gengy
2016-06-17, 05:32 PM
<"A coalition is already happening. Already, Ambrose and the Courts work together; Lady Autumn herself is discussing matters with representatives from the League. My own allies, far and wide, are eager to join the hunt."> Aleuta said carefully, gazing into the fire; a suspicion arising that she was not sure she liked the idea of. <"What we need is answers. Targets. Where would be the best place to strike? What would do the most harm to Dumont? If you wish us to wait, we must have something else to occupy our interests. Do you know of the political allies these heretics have garnered? Who protects them from the world at large? For if we want to take time to gather our forces for the final assault, the time can be best spent whittling down the resources available to our foes. And if you do not want suspicion cast upon yourself, these must be targets you are also willing to sacrifice.">

<"As I yet have no information to give, I need names. Places. Something that will be useful and help me guide those of Arandi searching. And if you know the name of the one whom ordered Branwen Morrig slain, I can assure you that particular pleasure will satisfy us for long enough."> Aleuta turned her eyes to look up towards the crow, and frowned as her suspicion grew. She had no proof, though. <"Failing that, some base of operations to raid. A tangible thing to be talked about by the world at large. Where there are mysteries hidden away, the only distractions are shining lights upon them.">

Once again, Aleuta's eyes fell upon the fire, but her head quickly turned to the shining light, up the hill, where the pavilion sat. There was perhaps something in those words... a shining light, indeed. Aleuta made some connections she had not before, and smiled at the thought, saving the idea for later. Something to discuss with the Dullahan, when their... visitor... left.

BootStrapTommy
2016-06-17, 09:34 PM
"They lost their only poltical support when they betrayed me. If they have garnered new support, I am unaware of it. Communication with my agents is difficult, but their approximate last locations are known. There is a great deal else, though since you chose to light so noticeable a beacon above our rendezvous, that will only be given under circumstances dictated by me, for the safety of my agents. Here and now is not those circumstances."

He paused for a moment, before continuing. "Were I a betting man, which I am not, I would begin my search in Nand or on the Marauder Isles. Whispers often speak of heretic activity in the former region, while the latter was oft spoken of by Lady Dumont herself. Maybe a former home? Or Kherson, perhaps, among the Aktí, as she often claimed? If those do not play out, tell your friends to keep their ears open for tales of unexplained disappearances. Dumont does not often recruit without force. She takes her soldiers often even if they are not willing."

Gengy
2016-06-18, 08:42 AM
Lady Spring considered this information carefully. The firelight crackled for a moment, as she turned what had been said already in her mind. She wanted to ask about other locations. Hess Tannan had been well known for being assassins and - worse - bug lovers; the Spring Court was often whispering about how they must be part of the Iron Gauntlet, even if the Alpha of Koya did not know it. The isles within the Sea of Coin, where so many murders had once taken place, getting closer and closer to Anceris for their last attempt at... what? What had it been? Some region underground? Something to do with the Nihoni, Aleuta was sure.

What had the Shrouded one said? "Sure he might destroy this face. But this face is only one of many I've worn over the centuries."

And the bird. The crow was acting strange, like it was a part of this conversation. Agents were everywhere, yes? The suspicions that Aleuta had been having continued to grow, until, with a single flash of insight, they snapped into clarity. Reports from the Spring Girl Cynfonni, in Anceris, that had talked about a place underground, once full of assassins, because of not one, but two races lives in harmony. The Emperor Spiridon de Altan had been threatened to stop bothering that place, and even some reports of distaste for Ancerin actions had come from the Undercity of the Exarchate. Lady Elona within Carraig Dún had been quite specific about the matter, even also talking about the two races involved; Elona was always as detailed as possible, hoping that somehow writing specific letters would mean she could get more Xungla Crystals, which was simply foolish. She got several each time a response was sent to her, and so far, Aleuta had not witnessed a Crystal running out of light. That, however, was not for the here and now. Too many things suddenly added up. Lady Spring had to know, so decided to gauge the Shrouded Lord's reaction with a simple question.

<"Will we need to look into Pendria?">

BootStrapTommy
2016-06-18, 11:14 AM
The Shrouded Lord began laughing. "Emperor Spiridon already saw fit to rid us of that problem."

Gengy
2016-06-19, 05:11 PM
Lady Spring was nearly sure now. The implications were staggering, though. However, the reports she'd received lined up with what the Shrouded Lord had said: there was a race of beings who claimed they had been upon Arandi for as long as (well, they claimed longer than) the Aeldir. Considering that Tir Amser had been the limits of the borders for all of the known Courts until the Age of Exploration truly got underway, the veracity of this claim was difficult to confirm or deny. The fact of this other race being symbiotic with a close relation to the Nihoni was indisputable, though.

The Pendral.

Worm-like things that co-existed with their hosts, so the reports from the east stated. Thinkers. Planners. And, yes, assassins. It added up. It also explained why the Shrouded Lord was so convinced that they would be hard to kill.

...but, again according to the reports, the Pendral had slain one or two key members of the government within Pendria in the past and then gained control of the region in only a short decade. They had then ruled through fear and careful co-existence. The Aeldir had lived Ages under war and conflict. If this Shrouded Lord were to become an enemy later on, then... underestimating the Aeldir and him thinking the occupants of Tir Amser were overconfident were advantages. Repressing a shudder, Lady Spring's gaze did not slide towards the Dullahan. She desperately wanted to avoid looking at the Knight Winter, whose reputation for resolving Balor Morrig's problems during those Ages were still a thing of nightmares. Now, he resolved problems for all of Tir Amser; though his loyalties were and would always remain to Lord Winter.

Her suspicions confirmed - at least in her mind - Aleuta began a new line of questioning in earnest. <"Very well. We shall not look into Pendria at this time. I believe I begin to understand, though, the enormity of what you are trying to tell me. So now I must know: does the mark upon a host always appear as the same shape - like some kind of racial banner mark - or is it different for each Pendral, such as a private signature?">

BootStrapTommy
2016-06-19, 06:22 PM
"Each is their own. Some bare no qualms about who knows who they are, so consumed by pride. Others all but pass without a trace. Each uses those methods most preferred to them, honed over years, decades, centuries. Many similar, but no two the same."

Gengy
2016-06-19, 08:56 PM
<"So there is no easy way for us - or you - to identify whom is among your... clan, and whom is not. That presents an issue for you. How do you hope to solve it?"> Lady Spring wondered aloud. It was, after all, not her concern if in the course of investigation, accidents occurred from overzealous investigators. Having people, though, within your own race that can claim one thing aloud, but know it is untrue; having your whole existence balanced upon the precipice of a lie? It was horrible to contemplate.

Far better to not have to deal with liars. Far easier to listen for the truths that had more than one meaning. Aleuta had tried to create contracts like those of the Ages past for non-Aeldir, but so far, everyone had mostly readily agreed. It... lacked the challenge, and claiming the reward for something so easy was not worth it. The here and now though, was far more interesting. This Shrouded Lord was far from an easy conversation, and they had not yet settled upon the terms, much less the price.

BootStrapTommy
2016-06-20, 11:42 AM
The Shrouded Lord stared intently into the fire. He let out a small laugh. "I did not say there was no easy way for my people to identity our numbers. Simply that it would be very difficult for those among your people to identify them. Without help."

Gengy
2016-06-20, 01:20 PM
<"I apologize. I believe you may have misheard me. I said that this posed a problem... for you. While much of your information is useful to me, I have yet to hear a proposal; something specific that you want done, in exchange for something we of the Aeldir can provide. Almost everything you have said so far only deals with things that have already been placed into motion. An exchange of information is beneficial, yes, but the lack of your information is not enough to make me care enough to try and discern between you and Dumont. At most, it is enough to give me pause to consider your ideas."> Lady Spring looked across the fire, privately happy to have had her suspicions confirmed.

<"So speak very plainly, and lay out your hoped-for terms. Include your ideas for what you propose we do to help you - that is what this is about, and make no mistake of that, even if helping you also helps us - to keep your people alive when Dumon't people die.">

Haughtiness aside, what the hell do you want here, Tommy? An exchange of information is going to happen. All (non-Secret) investigations are part of round openers. You get to read everything here. I'm not quite sure what you're angling for, so making it clear will help me figure out what the Aeldir can agree to.

BootStrapTommy
2016-06-20, 05:22 PM
Under his mask, an incredulous smile crossed the Shrouded Lord's face. He was beginning to think he had overestimated the Aeldir. The crow let out a loud, mocking caawww. Was it not obvious? "I've agents on the inside, Lady Spring. I'd prefer they not die if at all possible, especially not at the hands of those who seek the same ends. As it stand our goals now align, so I offer my aid in request for such consideration. But should you so willingly ignore the safety of my people, you become as great threat to my people's safety as the heretics. But why would you want that? That benefits you far less in almost every way. I am a dangerous enemy, but a powerful friend. I know more of our enemy than you do. And I've already the means to move against them, something you do not."

OoC, I'm offering to act with you, while satisfying my RP itch this round. But from an IC perspective, I'm converting OoC knowledge into IC knowledge (my control of the Old Gauntlet, as well as the dichotomy between the Old and New getting RP fleshed out to a limited degree, while setting the stage for future development of my faction identity for later) and attempting to communicate to you my placement of agents (to keep them from becoming collateral damage, because that would be a possibility and I cover my bases). Maybe that last thing wouldn't have been a problem, but I wanted insurance.

Gengy
2016-06-20, 06:49 PM
<"Then you are not so much as offering terms as you are asking for protection, or at least, an agreement of non-aggression. And are seeking to pay for it in information, with the hopes that mutual enemies will cause us to come to an accord."> It was not a question. Lady Spring seemed to be musing aloud. Her face - so young looking, so innocent, even when it appeared to be angry - lost any aggression in it as she let out a sigh, and began to rattle off an arrangement as though the effort of doing so was an every day occurrence. Which it was. <"Here then, are my terms.">

<"In exchange for accurate information, and aid in cleansing the world of everyone whom follows Dumont - host, Pendral, lackey, everyone - the Iron Gauntlet will be no more. Old or new. If you wish to continue to run your own governance in whatever manner you choose, that is fine with me. However, the killings from the Gauntlet will stop. No more coins. No more strangulations. If I or any Aeldir is ever able to confirm that another Arandi ruler has been slain by someone acting under orders of a member of the Iron Gauntlet - or a former member of the Gauntlet acting under the name of a new organization - then we will come to you. You will have just enough time to explain yourself and... clean house... of anyone breaking the accord we make today, and if you fail, we will come to you again, and it will be the last time we do so.">

<"You wish for your people's survival. I am suggesting that the Gauntlet turn from bloody Iron to clean Silver. Be not killers of kings and queens, but killers of killers. Make your mark be one that explains justice, not one that explains terror. Long have I wondered what would have happened if I had begun to contact the Gauntlet and wished for them to begin killing their own leaders, until there were no more who were willing to step into the role. I know that those were just idle thoughts on my part, but in a way, this is what we shall be doing. It will be the death of the Iron Gauntlet.">

<"The League and the Demesne will work together to co-ordinate a full scale investigation. I will happily act as a figurehead; and yes, as a target, if it comes to that. These are not terms, so much as things that are already in motion. However, with your information and support, we will specifically investigate certain locations. And you will receive requests to aid in at least two of those specific locations; areas that I deem may have a higher than normal Pendral activity, and will need someone from within your... clan... to identify those responsible, and those not.">

<"Questions asked to you about your race will be answered to the best of your ability, and as detailed as possible. Vague answers are useless. The more we understand about Pendral and their hosts, the better we can locate our mutual enemy.">

<"The information of your existence will be shared - carefully - to a select few members of other areas of investigations. This is done not to spread the secret, but to make it known that certain Pendral have the distinct honor of being let live. In exchange, please understand that it would be wise of you to recall as many of your own people; for Ambrose and the Winter Court will want to err on the side of caution, and in this case, that regretfully means quite a few 'accidents' are likely to occur in the next few years. In my authority as a Season, every effort will be made by the Spring Court to curtail needless deaths of any whom are not involved in the actions of Dumont... but by your own admission, this may be difficult to tell.">

<"I anticipate success of all of our investigators to narrow down Dumont's options in less than two years. Once we know her location, we will not hesitate to strike; on that day, I again suggest that measures are taken to save your people from being there, for I can assure you, all soldiers involved will be under orders to show no mercy. But, if she and her brood manage to elude us, we will continue for as long as it takes. In that instance, you and yours acting as insurance is welcome. If you wish to curry our favor, though, you will do what you can to see to it that someone from the Courts is there when Dumont dies... but we'd rather she were dead, then kept alive just so Aeldir hands can hold the blade.">

<"In short, we work as one, and the Pendral live. The Iron Gauntlet dies. Forever.">

In plain terms:

- Free exchange of information regarding Dumont, the Iron Gauntlet, and the Pendral
- The 'Old' Iron Gauntlet will receive some measure of amnesty from the coming doom and death to be rained down upon the 'New' Iron Gauntlet
- The 'Old' Iron Gauntlet will not retaliate if accidents occur; it is on the Shrouded Lord to protect his people, and the coalition against the gauntlet - once we have locations - will be killing with very little indiscretion. From an OoC standpoint, unless Quinton is feeling particularly vindictive, this shouldn't be an issue. But GMs will do GM things, and it's not the fault of the coalition.
- Anyone whom escapes the grasp of the purge against the new Gauntlet by the coalition can be freely slain by the old Gauntlet, and in fact, Lady Spring highly suggests (but will not make a requirement) that the old Gauntlet becomes a force for justice against those whom would be assassins. If they become killers of killers, then I can see the Spring Court working with the old Gauntlet to supply them with targets - known assassins - for them to cleanse. If you choose to go a different direction, that's fine, but... see the next thing.
- The Iron Gauntlet, as it's known right now, is done. It's dead. No more killing world leaders or their family members. Outside of the Shrouded Lands, if someone is assassinated, and the Iron Gauntlet coin is left near them, you'll be expected to aid in the investigation and show that it was not any of your people. If evidence points back to the Shrouded Lands, you'll be expected to deal with it, personally. If you fail, then the Aeldir and anyone who wants to help will come in and clean up. Everything.
- I suggest, that if you want to continue skullduggery and murders, you work out a new organization name and a new method of doing so. Coins, wishes, strangulations... if it smells like the Iron Gauntlet, you'll be held accountable; and that's not even a term of this agreement, so much as the after-effects of a Player taking over the control of a ring of very well known assassins.

Them's the terms. Some points are perhaps open to negotiation between you and I, but please understand, Lady Spring's patience is wearing thin... and also, the coalition will need a few days to make sure everyone in it has their investigation places set up. So I'd prefer to come to an agreement before the end of Wednesday night.

BootStrapTommy
2016-06-22, 11:28 PM
A sigh emanated from behind the Shrouded Lord's mask. "I believe I owe you an apology, Lady Aleuta. It would appear I mislead you to believe this was a negotiation. It is not. We offered our aid, aid given only with the terms that you possess the basic decency to not murder your own potential allies, like Emperor Spiridon chose to. We will provide that aid as you so desire, but nothing more."

The Shrouded Lord stepped closer to Lady Spring. "Tell me, Lady Spring, what do you think the young child Exarch of Carraig Dún, Aneira Penddraig, thinks of the Rose Demesne? Do you think she believes the Aeldir to be a meddlesome foreigners, like her uncle? Or do you think that perhaps she views the Aeldir as her father did, as a friend of the Nihoni people?"

Gengy
2016-06-23, 07:06 PM
Lady Spring let out a large, uncharacteristic sigh. The Shrouded one had completely ignored the deal. His own terms were unsatisfactory. And worse still... there was yet another child whose life was forever changed because of the actions of the Iron Gauntlet.

<"I think Aneira Penddraig would desire us to come to some form of agreement; something that would spare as many lives as possible."> She gazed upon the Dullahan, and spoke as if talking to the other Aeldir. <"Do you know, Knight Winter, that Kellianth Beagen spent over five Ages - in secret - moving pieces slowly and carefully towards the outcome she desired? I am almost sure that Lord Winter was aware of her machinations, but very few others were. It wasn't until the Age of Conflict dragged on for so long that she finally had had enough, and began to deal with things more directly. I am sorry to say that I miss her; her wisdom on this matter would have been much desired.">

<"I wonder if she would make a deal with a self-proclaimed assassin, even if he is the Ages long leader of some far away place. I wonder if she would accept the terms that this unknown leader proposed, or if she would try and do I have done, and try to wrangle every inch of purpose and glimmer of advantage from an agreement. I wonder if she'd prefer to make a start with such a simple bargain, and play the long game, or if she'd be as incensed and outraged as I, from the death of an Aeldir.">

The pain of not having her former best friend here did not quite cause Aleuta's face to show emotion, but she would not be smiling soon. She began to carefully pace back in forth in the sand, silently, expecting no response from the Dullahan. She weighed the options. She could just leave. She had the information she wanted. She did not need this Shrouded Lord further. Yet... Aneira Penddraig's father had not - quite - been a friend. Llywelyn Penddraig had, however, been an ally in the east. Aleuta and he did not always see eye to eye, but they had been able to work past their differences.

Her gaze rose up to meet the Shrouded one's figure once more, and Aleuta tried to let go of many things; the importance of being Lady Spring. The importance of being a Season for the Demesne. The importance of being a ruler in her own lands. She tried to see it from this other being's perspective. He just wanted to save his people.

She should have been able to get a high price for such emotions. But the Shrouded Lord was stubborn. Aleuta was quite certain that Lord Winter or Lord Summer would have killed him by now, if not by their own hands, then by ordering his death. She had to admit, she was still sorely tempted. She did not need his people. She did not want his people. They were, by all accounts, actually worms who burrowed themselves into a living host. It wasn't cute; it was down right repulsive.

Aleuta thought of Roethye Primus, and the way the High Queen had treated her as part of the family. How she had felt to have a family. And how she had felt when Roethye died. It twisted her gut. Roethye would be calling for blood. So would Breydice. And... Kellianth would have a clever trick in place already. A twist. A change. Something... unexpected.

<"Mercy."> With surprise, Aleuta realized it was her own voice that spoke. <"That is what this is about. I have in my grasp the capability of burning everything to ash, or only blazing the rotten trees.">

She considered the situation, and thought of the Pendral's words. She did not smile, but she did sigh yet again. <"Very well, Shrouded Lord. In exchange for the Aeldir not knowingly causing harm to your people, you will, as you have said, provide us aid as we so desire, and nothing more. I still very much recommend you heavily consider changing both your organization's name and it's ways. I can gift you mercy only once, and just as you think I do not know the cost of what it meant to change your plans for my own, you can be assured that you will never fully understand the cost of what my mercy means.">

<"Because what I said before still stands: We work as one, and the Pendral live. The Iron Gauntlet dies.">

- Free exchange of information regarding Dumont, the Iron Gauntlet, and the Pendral
- The 'Old' Iron Gauntlet will provide aid as the Aeldir of the Courts desire, and the Aeldir of the Courts will not knowingly cause harm to the 'Old' Iron Gauntlet.
- The 'Old' Iron Gauntlet will not retaliate if accidents occur; there are too many people in the coalition for the Aeldir to be held accountable if someone loyal to the Shrouded Lord doesn't get out of the way in time.
- After the initial purge, it is on the Shrouded Lord and his people to deal with anyone who is not actually loyal to them.
- The 'Old' Iron Gauntlet should get a new name. It really should. Something you can call your own, and separates you from the 'New' Iron Gauntlet. It could even be a way to help identify those loyal and those not. Because the League, the Demesne, and many other political powers want to end the Iron Gauntlet. If another group of assassins show up with a different name, well, they aren't the Iron Gauntlet, now are they? You can ignore this, though. If you want. It just will have consequences that neither of us is aware of; and the Aeldir cannot be held accountable.
- Don't kill Aeldir. The death of an Aeldir by a member of your order is the fastest way for this contract to be broken.

BootStrapTommy
2016-06-24, 06:52 PM
The Shrouded Lord's face drifted toward the sea, his eyes staring at the waves as they came in. He spoke as if he had not heard anything the Lady Spring had said. "I think Aneira is fond of the Aeldir, inspired by her father's respect for them and the tales told to her by her aunts, Lady Cerys and Princess Aures, and the royal tutor, Viceroy Llywarch. The Archduke of Nemeria, a most powerful ally of the Exarchate, even speaks highly of the Aeldir to his young peer."

His eyes turned back to Aleuta. In the flickering light they were visible under his mask, both an unsettlingly light blue, almost white. "The Pendrel are members of the United Nihoni Exarchate, Lady Spring. We have been loyal to them since Exarch Llywellyn saw fit to intervene on our behalf when Anceris began their misguided genocide against our people. We are grateful to the late Exarch, and our gratitude extends to the late Exarch's daughter and the nation he built. The Aeldir are in no threat from us, so long as they present no threat to Aneira Penddraig or her subjects, an event that yet remains extraordinarily unlikely. We only ever came here to help, Lady Aleuta. We only wish to clear our name."

"So I would be delighted by that. We will provide you with what aid you so require of us, as directed by you, and pass what info we can about the heretics, so that those responsible for the death of the Lord Winter's son and the Lady Penddraig's father can be brought to justice. And should the time come to strike, my agents will move as you wish them."

"As for the name," he said, almost as an afterthought, "It was ours before the heretics stole it, and we intend to reclaim it. But I suppose, should it be a sacrifice necessary to protect those we protect, that may just come to pass."

That's a yes.

However, I would not mind a chance to address a point of contention about this interaction, which contributed to much of this.

Aleuta does not seem like as consistent a character as you act like, and she acts in a manner that I find difficult to predict or deal with, and even more difficult to decipher. She does not act in the manner that a leader of merchants and spies should want to, but often to the contrary, which makes it difficult to figure out how to respond.

An example of this is the "I don't need these guys" attitude, which is bewildering both IC and OoC.

OoC, you could argue that the coalition is already big enough to succeed, but there are problems with that argument. First, I have as much right to act as anyone, so excluding me is unfair. Secondly, I possess more resources than any other player in the game, having double agents already in the organization within striking distance of the leadership, having more IC knowledge than anyone else (possessing the faction which trained them), and can obtain knowledge of the NIG's targets. I could kill them by myself, with good enough rolls, this very round, while the rest of you won't even know where they are until next round. Thirdly, the GM is an unknown player in this, and Aleuta just gave him the IC tools to complicate matters (not that he necessarily will).

So that leaves the IC. Explain to me what reasoning Aleuta has to believe that double agents within her enemy's organization in a position to strike and cripple the leadership, with first hand knowledge of their methods, training, and biology, who have their own score to settle and are willing to act with her, are not worth devising methods of protecting those resources, a condition that is arguably a no-brainer under almost any similar circumstance?

Because that is a huge struggle I've had with this. OoC, yes, the coalition is large enough to probably guarantee success.

But how does Aleuta know that? Honestly, she didn't even know they had Pendrel until the Hochmeister told her. She knew nothing of the NIGs leadership, location, size, structure, resources... She literally knows nothing about them, but she seems to think she has this in the bag.

Why would a spymaster, lacking anything resembling real, tangible intelligence, view the best resource she currently has access to as unnecessary and unwanted? She's the one who sent out letters requesting help!

The Spring Lady appears irrational and near suicidally overconfident from any outside IC perspective. Combined with her bungled failure at spycraft setting up the meeting, the Shrouded Lord is convinced she's insane, an idiot, or both.

Perhaps you could explain why it is I offered a valuable resource, as per the Spring Lady's own request, but she views it as not particularly useful, despite currently possessing no real intelligence?

Because without a solid IC reason, it looks to me like your OoC belief that the coalition will not fail is creeping its way IC. Which might be a folly, honestly, because I can tell you as a fact that Quinton is not above feeding you false information.

If I can understand why, it would make it easier for me to respond in the future.