PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What alignment would this character be?

Zhentarim
2016-06-16, 08:24 PM
Stats
lvl 1 ?? Human Ranger
20 str
12 dex
14 con
7 int
14 wis
12 cha

Creed of Humility (virtue feat): add both wis and cha bonuses to diplomacy checks.
Creed of Purity (virtue feat): +2 on fortitude saves, double onset of poision and disease.
Pesh Addict (regional trait): +1 bluff, sense motive, and knowledge (local). Sense motive is class skill.
Gnoll Killer (campaign trait): +1 attack and damage against gnolls. Trait bonus doubled for rangers.

Alex Stone was born to a family of pesh farmers in southern Katapesh. He was the youngest of 12 boys, but showed physical giftedness from an early age. He worked the fields and helped the rest of his family earn an honest living. One day, Alex saw gnolls coming over the horizon and hid under the farm porch. It was misfortune that his other family was coming home from the market that day at around the same time. Alex watched as his family was slaughtered by gnolls.

Zeruel
2016-06-16, 08:33 PM
Stats
lvl 1 ?? Human Ranger
20 str
12 dex
14 con
7 int
14 wis
12 cha

Creed of Humility (virtue feat): add both wis and cha bonuses to diplomacy checks.
Creed of Purity (virtue feat): +2 on fortitude saves, double onset of poision and disease.
Pesh Addict (regional trait): +1 bluff, sense motive, and knowledge (local). Sense motive is class skill.
Gnoll Killer (campaign trait): +1 attack and damage against gnolls. Trait bonus doubled for rangers.

Alex Stone was born to a family of pesh farmers in southern Katapesh. He was the youngest of 12 boys, but showed physical giftedness from an early age. He worked the fields and helped the rest of his family earn an honest living. One day, Alex saw gnolls coming over the horizon and hid under the farm porch. It was misfortune that his other family was coming home from the market that day at around the same time. Alex watched as his family was slaughtered by gnolls.

I'd say Lawful, if he's going to be a vengeful one, and Good for his background, being good-hearted. I mean, he was physically talented, so nothing other than being kind to his family forced him to stay there helping.

Xuldarinar
2016-06-16, 10:33 PM
Honestly I'd say 'not enough information'. Virtue feats certainly tell us one component, but nothing here screams Lawful, Chaotic, or Neutral. I mean, keeping to the virtue feats would best be served by Lawful alignment, but one could still hold them as Neutral or even as Chaotic.

Hand_of_Vecna
2016-06-16, 10:42 PM
Another vote for "more data needed". His youth makes "helping his family earn an honest living" not very meaningful as he probably didn't have many other options. Hiding from a massively superior force doesn't prescribe an alignment. His mechanical choices suggests that he's seeking revenge against gnolls. Seeking to redress legitimate grievances on your own behalf doesn't lead towards and alignment either.

Gildedragon
2016-06-16, 10:51 PM
if he finds a wounded and helpless gnoll that had nothing to do with the attack on his family what would he do?
what if the gnoll would die if left alone?

the only town around to get supplies is a gnoll-controlled city, they have never heard of your character, how does he behave in it?

Zhentarim
2016-06-16, 10:52 PM
After watching his family die alone, Alex vowed revenge against all gnolls. He vowed he would not rest until every gnoll on golorion was vanquished. He trained his body further by avoiding unhealthy food and drink, and he vowed himself to humility, as this was not his fight, but a task on behalf of all families everywhere. He spent time prowling the nightstalls for a chance to begin his mission and overheard a man named Garavel searching for volunteers to recover some land in gnoll country. Alex stepped out of the shadows, startling Garavel.
"I will cleanse that land."

Zhentarim
2016-06-16, 10:55 PM
if he finds a wounded and helpless gnoll that had nothing to do with the attack on his family what would he do?
what if the gnoll would die if left alone?

the only town around to get supplies is a gnoll-controlled city, they have never heard of your character, how does he behave in it?

Well, his first instict would be to slaughter it, but he would instead appraoch cautiously and in gnoll say,
"Do you repent for your deeds in the service of Lamashtu?"
(He assumes all gnolls serve the mother of monsters)

Hand_of_Vecna
2016-06-16, 11:13 PM
Well, his first instict would be to slaughter it, but he would instead appraoch cautiously and in gnoll say,
"Do you repent for your deeds in the service of Lamashtu?"
(He assumes all gnolls serve the mother of monsters)

Sounds Lawful Good then. A bit zealous, but basically treating Gnolls as combatants of an enemy state. Unless the campaign world frequently features Good and Neutral Gnolls, you should be fine. As written Gnolls are one of the worst humanoid races.

Psyren
2016-06-17, 08:45 AM
I don't think desiring genocide ("every gnoll on Golarion") is particularly Good. Sure, lots of gnolls are evil, but not all of them, and they have children and other noncombatants in their villages/warrens too. If this guy had the power to do so ("FAMILICIDE!"), would he slaughter them all? It's not like they're fiends, or chromatic dragons, or even drow.

I think he could train to fight gnolls and still be Good, and even actively hunt aggressors and combatants who are preying on frontier innocents, but his zeal could easily push him more to the neutral side of things. All it would take is one gnoll who is minding their own business, cowering in fear, or incapable of fighting at all (e.g. a child.)

Mystral
2016-06-17, 08:59 AM
Stats
lvl 1 ?? Human Ranger
20 str
12 dex
14 con
7 int
14 wis
12 cha

Sounds like neutral boring, propably with tendencies to boring generic.

I'm also getting flashbacks to full life's consequences.

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-17, 12:31 PM
I'm going to say Lawful Neutral. Offering repentance saves him from Lawful Evil, but he's pretty revenge motivated, a little too much for Good. The Lawful thing is really just a guess, he could be neutral or chaotic.