PDA

View Full Version : Looking for comics...

nothingclever
2007-06-29, 12:29 PM
I'm looking for comic book series that are similar to the Punisher that have plenty of killing and are based around one character who doesn't have a bunch of terribly cliche emotional issues or at least doesn't show them. Basically I'm looking for any kind of modern, on-going, mercenary/vigilante comic with some good action. I'd prefer if it were from Marvel since that's what I've started out reading.

Any kind of suggestions would be appreciated and I'm sure other people are interested in the same genre. I just need the name and a brief summary of what it's about so if you've read any good ones lately please post here.

Dalenthas
2007-06-29, 12:44 PM
Am I to assume you mean other than Punisher War Journal? I'm fairly sure Punisher is the only sociopathic killer that Marvel uses as a hero.

nothingclever
2007-06-29, 01:39 PM
Am I to assume you mean other than Punisher War Journal? I'm fairly sure Punisher is the only sociopathic killer that Marvel uses as a hero.
Well hero or villian would good either way. I've read pretty much all of the Punisher. If not in Marvel, characters from any other company would be good.

Dihan
2007-06-29, 02:05 PM
You could try Deadpool if you want an insane mercenary...

Wojiz
2007-06-29, 02:43 PM
Deadpool isn't what I'd call insane, really, but his comics are a good read.

Dihan
2007-06-29, 02:58 PM
Deadpool's entire body - including brain - is in a constant cycle of death and regeneration, he even has immunity to telepathy... I think of him as insane... He did wear Marvel Girl's costume once...

nothingclever
2007-06-29, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I've read all of Deadpool as well and although I liked it in the beginning it got bad fast because of all the emo drama. He kept whining about his cancer and saving the world from an alien that would bring world peace by taking away free will. I did enjoy all the comics involving Taskmaster though.

Deadpool is a tad emo though.

But to be fair, its mostly because Cable is messing with his head.

jazz1m
Hmmmm....I would probably tell you to go the DC and pick up some Vertigo covers, you'll probably find some better action/violence/storyline in my opinion.

Preacher - God leaves heaven due to the birth of a creature that is both completely evil and completely good and Jesse Custer (a preacher) is looking for God and fighting off bad guys.

[edit] Marvel has a new series call Criminal that is basically, well, about crime and the people involved. Kind of a mixture of sin city and the sopranos.

meh, I can't really think of anything that fits your bill completely.

Hushdawg
2007-06-29, 03:48 PM
Check out the new series of MoonKnight, Ghost Rider and Blade

You may also want to look at Deadpool as others have suggested, actually I've enjoyed the Deadpool and Cable title for a bit. Other than that, Hulk lately has been very ruthless. You may want to look at the Planet Hulk TPBs that have started coming out and see if World War Hulk is good for you, it seems to be an all-out ruthless battle to the end.

Rob Knotts
2007-06-29, 05:14 PM
I haven't read it myself (my current comics budget isn't what it used to be), but from what I've heard from friends you might take a look at DCs The Losers (the 2004 version, not the WWII version).

jazz1m
2007-06-29, 07:46 PM
The Losers is top-knotch, but not necessarily what he's looking for (vigilante, marvel, one main character)

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-06-29, 07:52 PM
It's not Marvel and there isn't exactly one specific main character, but check out 100 Bullets. I'm a big fan of the series. There's usually one major protagonist per standard story arc, usually following someone's bloody quest for revenge. No magic, no superpowers- just guns, dirty fighting, and an incredible story.

nothingclever
2007-06-29, 08:14 PM
Check out the new series of MoonKnight, Ghost Rider and Blade

You may also want to look at Deadpool as others have suggested, actually I've enjoyed the Deadpool and Cable title for a bit. Other than that, Hulk lately has been very ruthless. You may want to look at the Planet Hulk TPBs that have started coming out and see if World War Hulk is good for you, it seems to be an all-out ruthless battle to the end.
I'm reading Moon Knight at the moment and it seems awesome. Thanks for mentioning it.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-06-29, 08:21 PM
It's not a comic, but there's always this:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2594910/1/

totally sweet action, not much emo. heck, the Punisher is a big supporting character.

Lemur
2007-06-29, 08:43 PM
It's hard for me to think of things which meet all of your criteria. However, two things come to mind, which may sound familiar if you watch a lot of movies (I don't, but still). The first is Frank Miller. You'd probably enjoy stuff written by him, particularly Sin City. The second is a comic called A History of Violence.

Finn Solomon
2007-06-29, 09:52 PM
Preacher has a ton of blood and gore, and Jesse Custer is as far from an emo as you could possibly get.