PDA

View Full Version : Need a potion belt

Ydnar
2016-06-16, 08:29 PM
So I have a player who, for whatever reason, has the worst luck. Mummy rot, poisons, harsh hits, you name it this poor guy gets the dirty end of everything. I'd like to give him an option to have some kind of free action self-injection belt of potions made that he can use. The injections would have to be replenished of course, but I have no idea where to start with pricing this. Any ideas? :)

mabriss lethe
2016-06-16, 09:16 PM
I'd probably price it and set the mechanics as if it were an Oil Chamber from Dungeonscape. Requires a full round action to load, but only a swift action to activate. install it in preexisting hardware for 1000 gp, half that to take up an item slot.

Ydnar
2016-06-16, 09:20 PM
I'd probably price it and set the mechanics as if it were an Oil Chamber from Dungeonscape. Requires a full round action to load, but only a swift action to activate. install it in preexisting hardware for 1000 gp, half that to take up an item slot.

Dungeonscape I'm not familiar with at all. So for a belt or shoulder sash/belt how many potion slots do you think would be sensible? The swift action make perfect sense :)

Willie the Duck
2016-06-16, 10:14 PM
remember to ask yourself, "What will keep everyone else from doing the same?"

I would make it more of a non-duplicatable adventure prize. We had a minotaur barbarian in our campaign who saved the life of an awakened water weird who from then on lived in his armor from then on and used its actions to feed him potions as needed. Maybe you could do similar.

mabriss lethe
2016-06-16, 10:40 PM
Dungeonscape I'm not familiar with at all. So for a belt or shoulder sash/belt how many potion slots do you think would be sensible? The swift action make perfect sense :)

If you're using the oil chamber as a model then the cost is per potion "slot". I'd probably limit it to 2 or 3 potion slots. That should be enough to deal with a problematic encounter but not so many as to greatly alter game balance. The original chamber listed in the book is limited to 1 per weapon/shield or 2/suit of armor, so a Belt that can hold and administer 3 potions would be in line with that, and if you give it a cost reduction for taking up a belt slot, 1500 isn't a bad price. It's more expensive than a healing belt, (which would be my go to advice if all you want is the ability to heal hp damage), but that balances out the fact that it modifies action economy and is more flexible than the healing belt, being able to auto inject any potion effect as opposed to only healing HP.

EDIT TO ADD: I'm also pretty sure that there is something like this already in one of the books, but I can't for the life of me remember the specifics.

Jowgen
2016-06-16, 10:53 PM
Other than the Oil Chamber, things that sorta do what you want are the Potion Bladder (Drow of the Underdark), the Alchemical Capsules (Complete Adventurer), the Potion Belts (forgotten realms campaign setting), and lastly the bloodspikes (Magic of Eberron).

To give you player a unique temporary edge, I suggest having some random gnome tinker together an experimental combination of some of these (e.g. Potion Bladder with a Oil Chamber's swift release) and give it to the character for testing. You can have it work well but then eventually fail as to prove the concept impractical for wide-spread application, so that no one else ever has reason to use one.

Vizzerdrix
2016-06-16, 11:13 PM
Either races of faerun or the faerun campaign setting has a mundane potion belt. What if you load it up with the Eberon potion spikes? Could also then enchant it into a healing belt.

mabriss lethe
2016-06-17, 12:17 AM
Other than the Oil Chamber, things that sorta do what you want are the Potion Bladder (Drow of the Underdark), the Alchemical Capsules (Complete Adventurer), the Potion Belts (forgotten realms campaign setting), and lastly the bloodspikes (Magic of Eberron).

Potion bladder is the one I was thinking about.

Bohandas
2016-06-17, 12:27 AM
I would make it more of a non-duplicatable adventure prize. We had a minotaur barbarian in our campaign who saved the life of an awakened water weird who from then on lived in his armor from then on and used its actions to feed him potions as needed. Maybe you could do similar.

What edition was that? Those don't sound like the elemental weirds in MM2. Are those one of those creatures where they scrapped the previous edition creature but kept the name (as they did with gnolls, kobolds, and halflings)?

Darrin
2016-06-17, 05:36 AM
Masterwork Potion Belt is 60 GP, but it's only a free action to get the potion out of the belt. It's still a standard action to quaff it. To speed that up, you'd probably want to use spellvials (Magic of Eberron). They cost 50% more than standard potions.

A device that injects them as a swift action...? Hmm. Not sure how I'd price that. If you go with just an unseen servant that can force potions down his throat... then Collar of Perpetual Attendance (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c) is 2000 GP.

Ydnar
2016-06-17, 06:25 AM
You guys are awesome :) These suggestions rock! I could be overthinking things too. There's nothing stopping this player from simply buying a wand that can help is bad luck. He is a rogue after all :D

Willie the Duck
2016-06-17, 07:03 AM
What edition was that? Those don't sound like the elemental weirds in MM2. Are those one of those creatures where they scrapped the previous edition creature but kept the name (as they did with gnolls, kobolds, and halflings)?

Homebrew. First I've heard about gnolls being reimaged for 3e. What changed about them?

Bohandas
2016-06-17, 11:03 AM
Homebrew. First I've heard about gnolls being reimaged for 3e. What changed about them?

IIRC in 1e they were a combination of a gnome and a troll

Bronk
2016-06-17, 11:49 AM
There's also the Ready-Drink Helm from Dragon 294 (p80-81)... There's even a picture!

Willie the Duck
2016-06-17, 12:00 PM
IIRC in 1e they were a combination of a gnome and a troll

Ah, going way back for that. I was thinking a 2e vs. 3e difference. You're sorta right. In the original white box set, EGG described them (no picture) as "A cross between gnomes and trolls (...perhaps, Lord Dunsany did not really make it all that clear) with +2 morale. Otherwise they are similar to hobgoblins." and that's about it. They've been hyena men in holmes on in D&D and in 1e on in AD&D.

Gallowglass
2016-06-17, 12:11 PM
mechanical alchemical hypodermic hummingbird constructs operating as ioun stones, circling his head and darting in the inject him when a certain condition is met.

Thurbane
2016-07-07, 10:58 PM
mechanical alchemical hypodermic hummingbird constructs operating as ioun stones, circling his head and darting in the inject him when a certain condition is met.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/kolidascope/images/3/39/98672.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20101017002239

TheCrowing1432
2016-07-07, 11:59 PM
In MIC there is a 8000gp armor enchantment called Healing, which can heal you for 2d8+5 amounts of damage per day and happens automatically if you drop below 0.

Perhaps something like that could help?

sleepyphoenixx
2016-07-08, 03:44 AM
Aside from the stuff already mentioned there's also the Sipping Jacket (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/jacket-sipping) from PF that you could backport.