PDA

View Full Version : Red Dead Redemption Train?

171akup
2016-06-16, 09:10 PM
Ok so I recently got another copy of this game because other copies were lost/broke and so I am coming back and I am wondering what is the point of the train. I have seen that the only way you can rob the train is just kill everyone and loot the bodies and the train is just so slow for travel and I ask what is the point of the train? :smallbiggrin:

Temotei
2016-06-16, 09:19 PM
I think you get some sort of online achievement if you shoot birds with a handgun while on the train or something.

Also, western. Needs a train, obviously.

171akup
2016-06-16, 09:30 PM
Well Western also needs train robbery but that isn't in the game and I knew about the Dastardly achievement mostly because I had the bandanna and felt like acting the evil western villain out and found it. It was fun.

I would like to know more about things I can do with this train. :smallbiggrin:

Wraith
2016-06-17, 08:42 AM
The train is a plot element, especially when you get to Mexico. You said you'd owned the game previously so you might remember the heist - I won't spoil it for you any further, if you haven't.

There's also two achievements to get involving trains; part of the Hunting tasks involves, as Temotei said, shooting a bird while riding upon it, and the other requires you to be a complete Dastard. :smallbiggrin:

Mostly though, it's there just to screw around with. There's plenty of videos on youtube that show how to catapult horses a thousand feet into the air using it, and other similar pursuits.

If you want to get deep into the lore of the game, however, rather than being something to play with the train is a symbol of the time period in which the game is set and what that means to the characters.
RDR is set in 1912. The "Wild West" is almost completely gone as the USA has spread from coast to coast, and men like Langdon Ricketts and John Marston are relics of a now bygone age that represents lawlessness and freedom, newly supplanted by order and rigidity. That's the role of the train - iron tracks tying down the land like rivets as the new age spreads across the continent, as big and implacable as Marston's inevitable obsolescence. That's why Marston arrives into the game on a train and immediately blunders into trouble - it's no longer the world he knows and he has to adapt to it over the course of the game - and why there is, as a player, nothing that you can do to stop or alter it. :smallsmile: