PDA

View Full Version : [EX3e] - Glorious Chiaroscuro - IC

HalfTangible
2016-06-16, 10:05 PM
http://exaltedonline.pbworks.com/f/1237565774/Chiaroscuro.png

OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?490596-EX3e-Glorious-Chiaroscuro-OOC)

---

In the southern threshold where the inland sea touches the sandy shore stands a city of glass towers and shadows. It is a place of ancient heritage and glorious legacy, and one of the greatest cities in the south of Creation. In ancient times, it is said, the city was enslaved to mad Anathema demons that stole their power from the sun for their own twisted ends. Though these Solar Anathema are officially banned from the city, in practice they are allowed shelter and safe harbor as long as they keep to themselves. In more modern days, it is under the control of the Delzahn, a people split between city-dwellers and wandering tribes.

From the highest Khan to the lowest slave, all of the Delzahn of the south bow to the will of the Tri-khan. He is a strong and canny ruler that has played the Realm, the Guild and every other power that sought to control him into leaving the Horde independent.

He is dead.

And he appointed no heir.

In the void left by his untimely demise, the city's people begins to fight amongst themselves. The Tri-khan's clever maneuvering and political machinations had kept Chiaroscuro from becoming a puppet of the Realm or the Guild, but with the man's death, there is a power vacuum.

A group of Dragon-Blood, the heroes of the (in theory) world-encompassing Realm have come to the city. Seeing an opportunity to bring the Immaculate faith back to the city, the harbor is occupied, and the absentee Empress' minions push for Molon Khan, a man sympathetic to the Realm, to take the place of the dearly departed Tri-Khan. It's no secret that the Realm's influence would be a disaster for the Anamthema who hide there, but one of the Dragon-Blood commanders (a water aspect named Still River) has lived in the city almost her entire life, and by all accounts cares deeply for Chiaroscuro and its people.

The Guild, similarly, has an interest in the city. While the Tri-Khan has allowed them relatively free reign to trade in the city, it's common knowledge that the move was unpopular and that the Realm in particular was furious about it. It is an open secret that in order to maintain their high profits, the Guild is backing Nayan Khan, a shrewd merchant with a long and colorful history. Nayan is generally seen as a good man (if stingy), but the Guild will undoubtedly influence his policies.

From the southern deserts comes one of the Delzahn nomad Khans, proclaiming that the new Tri-Khan shall be one who is not tied down by the politics of the weaklings in the city (him, obviously). Maral Khan is brilliant has won many great battles for the Delzhan tribes (it is rumored that he has been blessed by Ahlat personally) but he lacks the tact necessary to be a political officer. He comes at the head of six cohorts, and makes camp outside the city. It is not a siege by any stretch of the imagination, but it is clear that he intends to make good on his authority, with or without the city's approval. A new Tri-Khan must be appointed soon, or he may very well decide a siege is the best option.

Grandmother Bright is... Grandmother Bright.

Within the city's seedy underbelly, whispers crawl that the Tri-khan's death was no accident, no mere circumstance; the man had been relatively young and strong as a bull. He would not have simply keeled over. They whisper amongst themselves and try to work out what to do in regards to the Khans; there is fierce divide over which to lend support, if any.

And perhaps worst of all, some believe that the city's shadowlands, long held at bay by salt lines and old magic, have begun to grow...

Into this chaos, you step. A hero from a forgotten age, reborn into power both ancient and incredible. You are a Chosen of the Unconquered Sun, here in Chiaroscuro just as these events unfold. With the sun itself at your back, what will you make of the glorious city of Chiaroscuro? What mark will you leave on Creation?

---

[Harbor Markets]

Tempers and tensions throughout the city have both been burning strong and hot for weeks now, but the markets have felt it most of all. The Guild is doing everything in its power to make the Dragon-blooded feel unwelcome; though they never directly engage the Realm, prices jump sharply whenever one of the Terrestrials walk by. The Realm and Guild have occasional brawls and shouting matches in the streets, but no blood has been spilled as of yet. The Tri-Khan's former soldiers act as mediators as much as possible, but they have also gotten into scuffles with the upstart foreigners.

Suddenly, there was a loud fwoosh, a louder scream, and suddenly both Realm legionaries and Guild guardsmen are drawing their blades and shouting challenges. A riot is about to break loose.

And unfortunately for you, you were shopping nearby at the time.

What do you do?

---

((Despite what this says you do not necessarily have to be there to shop. That's just the default I'm going to assume.))

Ionbound
2016-06-16, 11:25 PM
Alena wanders through the market, looking for the best deal on fire dust and, to a lesser extent, arrows, though her slitted eyes and the barest suggestion of green scales causing the prices to rise as she approached the stalls, either the assumption she was a lesser dragon-blood or the stigma of her mutation marking her as one that it was okay to scam. She sighs as she sees the third 300% mark-up on the already reasonably precious and expensive dust, but as a fwoosh and scream ring out, her head snaps to alertness and her hands drop to her sides, wrapping around the handles of her two flames pieces, bow slung over her back likely useless in such short quarters.

As she sees the Realm legionnaires and Guild guardsmen reaching for their weapons and looking to fight with one another, she groans as she realizes she would have to do something she hated: Talk the two into not brawling in the streets. She takes a deep breath and calls out, "Hey! No need for a fight. Whatever that was, I doubt it was either one of you! It'd be better to figure out who shot! Calm yourselves!"

Charisma Roll: [roll0]

HalfTangible
2016-06-16, 11:35 PM
The Legionaries and the Guardsmen both turn at the sound of the young woman's voice. They don't seem to calm down, but Alena has bought some time. At the sight of her green scales and slitted eyes, their commanding officer (a man in red jade armor with flaming red hair) sneered.

"This is none of your concern, mutant." The dragon-blood growled, pointing his blade at the guardsmen. "These traitors to the Realm are ours to contend with."

The guild officers' commander - a green haired woman in an armored buff jacket - laughed. "Your Empress does not rule here, lizard lover."

"The Empress rules all, coin grubbler!" The man shouted. "You'll learn that soon enough."

The already sweltering heat of the day began to boil just a bit hotter.

ChaosArchon
2016-06-16, 11:36 PM
As the riot begins to inflame its participants, Aivas' years of training kick in. With a whistle that could pierce the heavens, he rallies the local guards. With the mighty clash of cloven hooves he moves his horse near the two clashing sides as they eye eachother with blood in their eyes.

"Guards, atttteention! Any side makes a move and I authorize you in the name of the late Tri-Khan to detain them. If they resist, you have permission to use force."

Readying his local forces, not sure theres a roll for that but if so just say the word

Kell_tamer
2016-06-16, 11:42 PM
Tepin pokes her head out from the tea shop she stopped at. The girl clearly not from around there walks out.

"Please... please... This violence isn't necessary! Chiaroscuro needs order, not chaos and bloodshed!"

The young exalt places herself between the factions. "Bloodshed will only result in resentment, that resentment will result in violence. It will just be a cycle..."

The eyes of the crowds turn to her, drawn to her as she speaks. Her words carry an authority on it, but it is gentle and kind. Compassion will rule the day here.

"Let this not be a massacre, this glorious city and its people deserve better..."

Performance Persuade action, thanks to harmonious presence i get 3 dice automatically added, I spend 4 motes on respect commanding attitude (that is reduced from 5 thanks to above charm) 1 mote on Masterful Performance (see above charm granted motes off) which gives an auto success and reroll ones, ones can't be used against me. and impassioned orator technique... 1 mote, double 9s.

so Charisma 4 Performance 4, 3 extra dice, 1 auto and reroll 1s and double nines for 6 motes. Assuming a 1 point stunt gives me 2 dice.

Regular roll of 13 dice first (1 sux already)
[roll0]
Rerolls if any (Just go left to right)
[roll1]

HalfTangible
2016-06-17, 12:05 AM
Nah, you've got enough influence/backing that just rallying them like this is trivial.

The local Delzahn guards - previously paralyzed by indecision - snapped to attention at Aivas' command and moved to the group of legionaries and guardsmen.

The green haired merchant frowns at the guards around her before noticing Aivas. Her hand falls down, away from her firepiece. The dragon-blood sheaths his sword. Their subordinates keep their weapons drawn.

"Lord Aivas. Smooth Silk, am I. As local representative of the Guild, I offer my apologies for this... disruption." Silk's displeasure was palpable. "However, I'm afraid we cannot stand down. Field and his men-"

And then Tepin shouted her proclamation. There were some polite mumurs of assent. Several onlookers clapped.

The Dragon-blood (Field, presumably) raised an eyebrow at the woman's voice and the apparent approval her words had stirred. Without another word, he turned to his men. "... She's right. Sheathe your- you already sheathed your weapons." He growled.

The soldiers looked amongst each other, murmuring.

Silk sniggered. "Such lack of discipline."

He ignored the Guild merchant, turning to the Khan. "Lord Aivas, one of the Terrestrial exalted was poisoned at Silk's... establishment, and was charged exorbitantly for the privilege. She has been hallucinating for the past 3 hours and shows no signs of stopping."

"And you just killed one of my soldiers."

He turned his nose up at her. "By mistake, after you not only insulted the Realm, but attempted to take me prisoner for demanding a refund, of all things."

"What the hell is... going... on... nothing, apparently."

From the nearby harbor came a woman clad in blue jade armor. She had short navy hair and a slightly blue tint to her skin, but carried no weapons. She blinked as she looked between the guards, the Guildsmen and the Realm legionaries. Some of the last began muttering amongst themselves.

"... Well. Is this all... under control?" She looked to Lord Aivas. He would recognize her as Still River, ostensibly in command of the Dragon-blooded here.

tonberrian
2016-06-17, 02:43 AM
Asheela notes the commotion, but also notes how quickly it seems to falter. She continues her shopping, looking for reagents and tomes of lore and other such oddities.

Beans
2016-06-17, 09:41 AM
Eo, whiteleaf cigar wafting smoke from under her conical hat, watches the small girl with interest. Someone to keep her eye on, to be sure. She shifts the weight of her woven shopping-basket, hanging from the leather-wrapped cane over her shoulder.

Ionbound
2016-06-17, 10:10 AM
Alena sighs inwardly and strolls away from the commotion, shaking her head and grumbling inwardly to herself about stupid, pig-headed Realm idiots that don't recognize someone trying to help when they see one and wanders away from the scene, continuing shopping with perhaps even less patience than she had had before.

Mono Vertigo
2016-06-17, 11:06 AM
"Shopping" was perhaps not the best definition of what Chinoe was doing, though she ended up with more supplies than she'd started with, and exchanged money (though, again, thanks to the magic of nimble fingers, the convenience of a distraction, and coins substituted at the last second, not only has she actually spent less money than she should have, but she might even have gained some).
The shady (and shades-wearing) woman is biting into a freshly-stolen orange (or maybe she'd actually bought that one, it's hard to keep track of everything) as she walks besides Eo. "What's that ruckus about poisoned Terrestrials?", she asks, trying not to spit out juice.

ChaosArchon
2016-06-17, 09:45 PM
Aivas lowers his spear, the red jade gleaming in the sunlight and motions for his men to stay alert but also lower their weapons. He had an audience, and it would be best to address his fellow actors first. He nods his head in respect, he may not agree with Still River's faith on several key issues but he did recognize she was an admirable commander of her men,"Commander Still River, great to see you again! You have to take me up on my offer of drinks sometime, one commander to another," he says with a direction sized grin on his face, as he continues the grin shrinks to only become kingdom sized,"It seems your cousins lack your discipline, one of Field's soldiers seems to have been "poisoned" by a hallucinogen while in a brothel. Now I would never impugn the honor of a Dragon but perhaps the fault lies in the soldier rather than the Guild." He then looks to Field and Silk,"Now it seems that in the name of protecting the peace, perhaps a detente of sorts could be reached? I suggest Field repays the Guild for the loss of one of their men and in return the Guild will no longer offer such hallucinogens to Field's soldiers. Seem fair? Excellent!"

Without waiting for a reply, Aivas trots over to Tepin and grins,"I like your style lady, can I invite you to some tea?" He then looks around,"Also lady who tried to help but got shouted at, you want some tea too?" he shouts to the crowd in general, looking for Alena.

activating Masterful Performance Exercise (-2m) which grants 1 success and rerolls any 1s til 1s no longer appear. activating x5 Solar Performance Excellencies (-1m ea, total 5m) (-7m from personal essence cuz showing a caste mark would only worsen matters :smalltongue:) (6/13 Personal Essence remaining)

rolling Cha (4)+Performance (3)+Excellency dice (5): [roll0]

stunt (im guessing 2 but will roll all 3 just in case): [roll1]

Kell_tamer
2016-06-17, 10:06 PM
Tepin looks around a bit before pointing to herself at the invitation. "Um. Sure..."

She looks over to the crowd for the other woman that tried to help.

Ionbound
2016-06-17, 10:19 PM
Alena looks up at the invitation, then looks around to make sure Aivas isn't referring to anyone else, then nods and says, "...Sure. Tea sounds good right about now, actually." She sighs sadly and strolls over to Aivas and says, bowing respectfully, "Greetings. My name is Alena. You are...?"

HalfTangible
2016-06-17, 10:37 PM
Aivas lowers his spear, the red jade gleaming in the sunlight and motions for his men to stay alert but also lower their weapons. He had an audience, and it would be best to address his fellow actors first. He nods his head in respect, he may not agree with Still River's faith on several key issues but he did recognize she was an admirable commander of her men,"Commander Still River, great to see you again! You have to take me up on my offer of drinks sometime, one commander to another," he says with a direction sized grin on his face, as he continues the grin shrinks to only become kingdom sized,"It seems your cousins lack your discipline, one of Field's soldiers seems to have been "poisoned" by a hallucinogen while in a brothel. Now I would never impugn the honor of a Dragon but perhaps the fault lies in the soldier rather than the Guild." He then looks to Field and Silk,"Now it seems that in the name of protecting the peace, perhaps a detente of sorts could be reached? I suggest Field repays the Guild for the loss of one of their men and in return the Guild will no longer offer such hallucinogens to Field's soldiers. Seem fair? Excellent!"

Without waiting for a reply, Aivas trots over to Tepin and grins,"I like your style lady, can I invite you to some tea?" He then looks around,"Also lady who tried to help but got shouted at, you want some tea too?" he shouts to the crowd in general, looking for Alena.

activating Masterful Performance Exercise (-2m) which grants 1 success and rerolls any 1s til 1s no longer appear. activating x5 Solar Performance Excellencies (-1m ea, total 5m) (-7m from personal essence cuz showing a caste mark would only worsen matters :smalltongue:) (6/13 Personal Essence remaining)

rolling Cha (4)+Performance (3)+Excellency dice (5): [roll0]

stunt (im guessing 2 but will roll all 3 just in case): [roll1]Silk snorted. "And the murder of my guildsman goes unnoted, of course."

Field bristled. "You listen here, none of-"

"Silence."

The soldiers immediately complied. River saluted to Aivas. "Aivas Khan." She then turned to her commanders. "I'll deal with this and report in to you as soon as I'm sure what happened. Sorry to waste your time. You lot!" She yelled, the Realm soldiers snapping to attention. "My ship. Now."

Kell_tamer
2016-06-17, 10:49 PM
Tepin blinks and snaps out of the sudden topic change.

She rushes over to the guildswoman. "Miss, miss, please forgive me. was caught off guard by the peace keeper. But have proper arrangements been made? Funerary and the like?"

Tepin knew that if it wasn't handled right, a hungry ghost might rise. "Do you need that done?" She genuinely seems concerned.

HalfTangible
2016-06-17, 11:01 PM
Tepin blinks and snaps out of the sudden topic change.

She rushes over to the guildswoman. "Miss, miss, please forgive me. was caught off guard by the peace keeper. But have proper arrangements been made? Funerary and the like?"

Tepin knew that if it wasn't handled right, a hungry ghost might rise. "Do you need that done?" She genuinely seems concerned.

Silk raised an eyebrow at the girl's foreign garb, but quickly masked it as she turned and clasped her hands together. "I'm afraid not, your worship. Poor Sandy had only just started with us - she had little money of her own and no family we know of. Funerary rights cannot be arranged, but if you are offering to properly sanctify her body so a ghost does not arise, we would be most grateful..."

Get the priestess to "sanctify" the body for free.
Manipulation (3) + Larceny (2)
[roll0]

HalfTangible
2016-06-17, 11:02 PM
I'm an idiot.

[roll0]

Beans
2016-06-17, 11:04 PM
"Shopping" was perhaps not the best definition of what Chinoe was doing, though she ended up with more supplies than she'd started with, and exchanged money (though, again, thanks to the magic of nimble fingers, the convenience of a distraction, and coins substituted at the last second, not only has she actually spent less money than she should have, but she might even have gained some).
The shady (and shades-wearing) woman is biting into a freshly-stolen orange (or maybe she'd actually bought that one, it's hard to keep track of everything) as she walks besides Eo. "What's that ruckus about poisoned Terrestrials?", she asks, trying not to spit out juice.

Eo watches Aivas invite the Eastern child to tea, and then the Wyld-touched woman. She glides toward an alley, smoke trailing in her wake.
"I shall ask my fellow concerned citizens. Come if you wish, but after a few choice words, I propose we retire for tea---our brave guard captain and his new friends may wish to hear such things as I may discover."
Hat low over her sharp eyes, the small woman slips through the back-ways. She knows how to listen, and she knows how to talk. Sometimes half of talking is listening, and half of listening is talking. Sometimes you hear things in between the clink of silver into another's palm, and sometimes you hear it as the steel slides from your belt---though in Eo's case, she prefers the honey approach to the vinegar.
A woman with a pale birthmark on her tanned forearm blanches as Eo reminds her of the considerable tab she's run up as a patron of the Eclipse's negotiable affection. As Eo mentions the possibility that for certain information, her gratitude might cause her to reconsider the cost of certain services, the woman nods all too eagerly.

[roll0]
MNP 4 + Larceny 5 + 1 (Specialty: Larceny, Crimelordery) + 2 assumed dice from a 1st-level stunt.

Kell_tamer
2016-06-17, 11:07 PM
Tepin nods. "It would be my honor to do so." She gives a polite bow.

She looks back to Aivas "Take you up on the tea later?"

ChaosArchon
2016-06-17, 11:12 PM
Aivas nods and looks at Alena and Tepin,"How about tea at lunch tomorrow. White Lotus Tea House." Confident they heard him he leaves the market but not before nodding in thanks to Still River's handling of her side.

tonberrian
2016-06-18, 07:09 AM
"Oh, excuse me, Miss... Alena, was it? I couldn't help but notice your troubles with the salesfolk. If there's something you need, perhaps I could help? I run a shop of my own, down in the Plaza."

HalfTangible
2016-06-18, 09:54 AM
River smiled at Aivas as he shook her hand. "I'd like that, commander. For now I have a job to do."

She then nodded to the Guildswoman. "That seems... reasonable enough. I'll need to learn the exact details of this encounter first, but-"

"Bah!" Silk spat. "Of course you do. A woman dies and all you think about is your Realm."

"... I'll come back later, then." She said dryly.

While Terrestrials are nothing new to Chiaroscuro, they haven't been a problem until recently. With the exception of the occasional Wyld Hunt (which aren't anywhere near as common as they should be in a city with this many Anathema), the Realm has generally preferred a hands-off approach to any issues in the city.

With the Tri-Khan's death, however, the Realm has become more aggressive in its behavior. This legion of the Realm had been sent ostensibly to keep order, but the longer a Tri-Khan went without appointment the more agitated they became. This is the first time a Terrestrial has been targetted directly, but Realm soldiers have been drugged at different stores for weeks with varying degrees of lethality (mostly just hallucinogenics).

While you find no solid proof of the Guild's motives, the general consensus among those you speak to is that the Dragon-Blood legion could potentially be kicked out of the city if the Delzahn and the Guild's mercenaries work together to drive them out. As a result, many more... independent Guild merchants have taken it upon themselves to provoke the Realm into starting a fight.

Still River has, astoundingly, kept her men in line through those periods and made certain any crime that the Dragon-Blood committed had been seen to. In last the last few days, however, she has not been keeping as close an eye on her soldiers as she should. You're not sure why, but you do hear one rumor that she's visibly frantic when not in public.

Mono Vertigo
2016-06-18, 10:06 AM
Chinoe Smoke-in-the-Rain jogs behind Eo, leaving orange peels in her trail. "Aww yeah, another occasion for more tea. Hey, wait for me!"
With the orange juice stains on her (obviously higher quality than she should afford, and therefore "borrowed") silk top and gloves, a pallor uncharacteristic of this region, and her exaggerated facial expressions, Chinoe's demeanor and appearance does not complement her partner's very well, if not by contrast. The jester to a baron, a prince.

Ionbound
2016-06-18, 01:18 PM
Alena nods, making a slight bow of greeting, to the other woman and says, "If you're not going to jack up the prices on me, sure..." She follows the woman towards her shop, hoping to be able to get some amount of spare Fire Powder for her Flame Pieces

tonberrian
2016-06-18, 10:37 PM
Alena nods, making a slight bow of greeting, to the other woman and says, "If you're not going to jack up the prices on me, sure..." She follows the woman towards her shop, hoping to be able to get some amount of spare Fire Powder for her Flame Pieces

Asheela leads Alena to the Plaza, past an enormous structure housing what looks to be a tyrant lizard. She opens the door, marked with half-cleaned graffiti of a crudely drawn Twilight caste mark. "Don't mind Roshan, he doesn't bite unless I tell him to. What brings you to Chiaroscuro, Alena?"

Ionbound
2016-06-18, 10:45 PM
Alena looks down, looking unhappy, and says, "I...It's a long story. Tell me, have you ever heard of the city of Thorns?"

tonberrian
2016-06-18, 11:14 PM
Asheela tuts quietly. "The Mask of Winters? Nasty business, that. I take it you were a survivor?" She makes motions, gathering up some firedust for sale.

HalfTangible
2016-06-18, 11:58 PM
Tepin nods. "It would be my honor to do so." She gives a polite bow.

Silk bore a clever, self-satisfied smirk as she bowed. "You are most kind, my humble priestess. Please, follow me. The girl's body is interred nearby." She led Tepin about a block away from the harbor, to a small corner store.

The first floor of the store was a small restaurant, largely empty today. One of the patrons was eating some kind of shellfish, while the rest waited impatiently. On the second floor of the building was a room that clearly was normally used as a brothel; silk curtains hung from the ceiling while luxrious pillows and beds dotted the room. A strange smell Tepin couldn't quite identify (though Silk certainly seemed to like it) hung in the air; it was fading, implying that whatever had caused it had only stopped recently.

'Interred' would be overstating it; a badly burned corpse had been set on a table in the middle of the room. Silk hadn't even bothered to cover it up, it just smoldered a bit. She'd been killed in the last hour or so.

Ionbound
2016-06-19, 09:53 AM
Alena nods and says, "You could say that...Though I suspect I only survived due to my cowardice. I...It was awful. I fled the city after...One of my oldest friends...His skeleton ripped his own flesh from his bones. After that...I had to leave. But not without putting out one of the eyes of Winter's colossus on my way out." She sighs, and continues, "Anyways, I'm here to try to get an army to retake Thorns, no matter what." She sighs again, continuing, "Which is seeming less and less likely."

Kell_tamer
2016-06-19, 11:10 AM
Tepin looks over the body. A shame it came to this. She pulls from a small pack of hers a small incense burner. She sets up a make shift funerary set up and begins praying in old realm.

The prayer is to the Sun, the Moon, the Stars and the world. It asks for blessing and guidance to the next life. "Sun once blessed, moon once guarded, stars once guided, world once sheltered.... One of your children has fallen... one of your children seeks rebirth, lead soul from body to life renewed... Let peace overcome and heart be fulfilled..."

Her hand touches the forehead of the girl upon conclusion of the short prayer, and the flames of the sun leap forth. It consumes the body and releases the soul back to reincarnation.

spending a mote of peripheral to burn the body, and send the soul to lethe.

I am also able to take the strongest intimacies of the deceased as my own to deliver them to someone important, an important object, or someone who caused great pain.

tonberrian
2016-06-19, 05:33 PM
Alena nods and says, "You could say that...Though I suspect I only survived due to my cowardice. I...It was awful. I fled the city after...One of my oldest friends...His skeleton ripped his own flesh from his bones. After that...I had to leave. But not without putting out one of the eyes of Winter's colossus on my way out." She sighs, and continues, "Anyways, I'm here to try to get an army to retake Thorns, no matter what." She sighs again, continuing, "Which is seeming less and less likely."

"Well. I can't help you find an army, but I do have some firedust in stock. Asheela sets out some of her firedust, at a very reasonable price - the new customer discount. "I'm Asheela, by the way. In addition to firedust, I also study all things arcane and ancient, and I'm a decent hand at healing as well. If you need something translated or a tonic for measles, I can probably help."

Ionbound
2016-06-19, 07:08 PM
Alena blanches when she sees the price of the fire dust and mutters, "I can't afford even this..." She sighs, shakes her head, and says, "I'm sorry for wasting your time. And I'm sure your talents as a healer would be more useful here than on a suicidal mission."

Beans
2016-06-20, 10:01 AM
Chinoe Smoke-in-the-Rain jogs behind Eo, leaving orange peels in her trail. "Aww yeah, another occasion for more tea. Hey, wait for me!"
With the orange juice stains on her (obviously higher quality than she should afford, and therefore "borrowed") silk top and gloves, a pallor uncharacteristic of this region, and her exaggerated facial expressions, Chinoe's demeanor and appearance does not complement her partner's very well, if not by contrast. The jester to a baron, a prince.

Eo smiles at her companion's antics; in comparison to Chinoe's silliness, she appears even more to be a smoke-ringed smile beneath a sun-hat. "Most beloved Chinoe, the day you cease to delight me will be the day the sun turns cold and the stars fall from heaven. Is there any way you wish to pass the time we have before the good Khan-General, the little lady, and the scaled girl take their tea?" She turns to the thief with a sweet smile, adjusting the mostly-buttoned shirt of her simple, easy-breathing suit. This is yet another layer to the endless game between the two of them, a game whose layers are themselves games. Except shuffleboard, Eo's terrible at that one.

tonberrian
2016-06-20, 12:44 PM
Alena blanches when she sees the price of the fire dust and mutters, "I can't afford even this..." She sighs, shakes her head, and says, "I'm sorry for wasting your time. And I'm sure your talents as a healer would be more useful here than on a suicidal mission."

"I don't normally take on charity cases, but do you have a place to spend the night? Because I know a guy, if you need it."

HalfTangible
2016-06-20, 03:50 PM
Tepin looks over the body. A shame it came to this. She pulls from a small pack of hers a small incense burner. She sets up a make shift funerary set up and begins praying in old realm.

The prayer is to the Sun, the Moon, the Stars and the world. It asks for blessing and guidance to the next life. "Sun once blessed, moon once guarded, stars once guided, world once sheltered.... One of your children has fallen... one of your children seeks rebirth, lead soul from body to life renewed... Let peace overcome and heart be fulfilled..."

Her hand touches the forehead of the girl upon conclusion of the short prayer, and the flames of the sun leap forth. It consumes the body and releases the soul back to reincarnation.

spending a mote of peripheral to burn the body, and send the soul to lethe.

I am also able to take the strongest intimacies of the deceased as my own to deliver them to someone important, an important object, or someone who caused great pain.
Defining: Fallen Feather (Affection) - My boyfriend for the last week or so. I'm in love...
Major: Smooth Silk (Fearful respect) - Just work hard, earn your keep, and did not screw her.
Major: Mother (Disgust) - A complete and total %$#^. Let her rot.

Smooth Silk said nothing for a few brief moments.

Then she chuckled.

"Well." She smirked, tossing her hair behind her head. "It seems I've got a tiny little Anathema in my parlor. Isn't that interesting?" Her tone was nonchalant, but there was an almost predatory grin on her face now, like a cat eying a canary. "And so near a legion of dragon-blooded."

Kell_tamer
2016-06-20, 04:16 PM
The zenith tilts her head. "Are you considering turning me over to them?"

She has a cocked eyebrow. She wasn't afraid of this woman. Not with what she could do. Still she would prefer not to resort to it.

HalfTangible
2016-06-20, 04:23 PM
The zenith tilts her head. "Are you considering turning me over to them?"

She has a cocked eyebrow. She wasn't afraid of this woman. Not with what she could do. Still she would prefer not to resort to it.

"Oh I could, I suppose." She admitted, looking down at her fingernails to inspect them. "I wouldn't have any qualms over it, either. It's an open secret that Anathema run freely in this city, but as long as they keep their heads down they are tolerated."

"But... that is boring, pointless and benefits my enemies. I have a much more profitable idea."

"Tell me, little girl, how much do you understand of this business with the selection of a Tri-Khan? Do you understand why this girl died?"

Ionbound
2016-06-20, 04:44 PM
"I don't normally take on charity cases, but do you have a place to spend the night? Because I know a guy, if you need it."

Alena nods and says, "I'd appreciate that. I've traveled a long way to get here and...I'm rather sick of sleeping on the ground."

Kell_tamer
2016-06-20, 06:27 PM
Tepin shakes her head. "I know very little of chiaroscuro itself. I know even less of the guild."

She narrows her eyes. What she had done as a gesture of kindness was turning into something much more. She remained quiet for now though.

HalfTangible
2016-06-20, 06:57 PM
Tepin shakes her head. "I know very little of chiaroscuro itself. I know even less of the guild."

She narrows her eyes. What she had done as a gesture of kindness was turning into something much more. She remained quiet for now though.Silk smirked. "Of course not."

"The Tri-Khan - the king, basically - recently died without an heir, which leaves the Khans of this land in a precarious position. I'll spare you the exact politics, but the long and short of it is that the various Khans are currently deciding who they'll support taking the throne. Various powers have their own favorite candidates, including the Guild. If you want me to keep your secret, I want you to lend your power to ensuring the Guild's Khan gets into that palace and made Tri-Khan."

Her eyes narrowed. "Because the Guild's back-up plan in case the Realm takes over is to give them the names of every Anathema we know of in this city. Without the Tri-Khan acting to prevent their overreach, the Dragon-Blooded will lead a Wyld Hunt to take them out directly, which the Delzahn will be furious with, and a civil war will likely break out. Chiaroscuro is more useful to the Guild intact, but we can profit off a war if we must."

"And I promise you, my dear child, no matter your power, you cannot stand up to a Hunt for very long."

"I know that the Blasphemous are very good at getting people to worship their false idols. Do that for me. Get them to rally around you, support the Guild's candidate, and I promise you'll be safe regardless of the outcome of this... debacle."

Manipulation 3 + Larceny 2 + Specialty 1 (Blackmail)
[roll0]

Kell_tamer
2016-06-20, 09:18 PM
Tepin narrows her eyes and folds her arms across her chest at this threat. It at first shook her but she realized she had power here.

"I see why she was afraid of you. I also know you are bargaining that from a point of desperation."

Tepin looks at the guildsman. "You are concerned you can't get another solar to back you. So you deployed your blackmail upon the first one to show itself. Not a good opening gambit."

Tepin's face softens. "So regardless of how you respond next, I'm willing to ignore that threat against not just me, but everyone in this city."

She even returns to a smile. "Perhaps even discussing matters over tea with the general from earlier. After all, wouldn't you rather have the ear of someone who has power and a stake in this?" Tepin plays upon the guildswoman's clear desire to get someone she can work with on the throne, and playing an invite from the general would aid that.

My charm is still up so 3 extra dice. I will be using Listener Swaying Argument, which can grant me up to 3 non charm dice (1 for every 2 points by which the target boosts their resolve) AND gives me an auto success that costs 2 motes thanks to my previous charm, and using 2 motes of peripheral to buy 2 extra dice for 5 dice, Charisma 4, Presence 5, Stunt 2, Charms 5 (Potentially +3 non charm) and one auto. No anima flare from mote use.
Base pool
[roll0] +1 auto
Boosted pool if resolve boosts it with non charm dice.
[roll1]

HalfTangible
2016-06-20, 10:32 PM
Tepin narrows her eyes and folds her arms across her chest at this threat. It at first shook her but she realized she had power here.

"I see why she was afraid of you. I also know you are bargaining that from a point of desperation."

Tepin looks at the guildsman. "You are concerned you can't get another solar to back you. So you deployed your blackmail upon the first one to show itself. Not a good opening gambit."

Tepin's face softens. "So regardless of how you respond next, I'm willing to ignore that threat against not just me, but everyone in this city."

She even returns to a smile. "Perhaps even discussing matters over tea with the general from earlier. After all, wouldn't you rather have the ear of someone who has power and a stake in this?" Tepin plays upon the guildswoman's clear desire to get someone she can work with on the throne, and playing an invite from the general would aid that.

My charm is still up so 3 extra dice. I will be using Listener Swaying Argument, which can grant me up to 3 non charm dice (1 for every 2 points by which the target boosts their resolve) AND gives me an auto success that costs 2 motes thanks to my previous charm, and using 2 motes of peripheral to buy 2 extra dice for 5 dice, Charisma 4, Presence 5, Stunt 2, Charms 5 (Potentially +3 non charm) and one auto. No anima flare from mote use.
Base pool
[roll0] +1 auto
Boosted pool if resolve boosts it with non charm dice.
[roll1]

Silk's grin faltered as the girl stabbed right to the heart of the issue. There were a few dozen things she could've said, but her mind was drawing a blank right now. Something about that girl's smile looked dangerous. The kind of smile you give when you know you have your enemy outclassed.

Silk had worn it more than once.

"I..." She hesitated. "I don't need Anathema, persay, it's just..." She bit her lip. In truth, Wyld Hunts would happen regardless of what the Guild said or did. Ratting out an Anathema herself would likely just get her some leniency in trying to wrest control from the realm. "...Alright, fine, I'll talk to this general or whatever."

Kell_tamer
2016-06-21, 12:08 AM
Tepin gives a polite bow to this. "Well then Let us find the good general to discuss things."

She makes her way out of where she had just performed her funerary services.

It isn't long before she's asking around for the general, just to find out where she can find him.

tonberrian
2016-06-21, 12:55 AM
Alena nods and says, "I'd appreciate that. I've traveled a long way to get here and...I'm rather sick of sleeping on the ground."

"All right, follow me." Asheela, after locking up the shop again, takes Alena out to an inkeeper that owes her a favor.

Mono Vertigo
2016-06-21, 11:12 AM
Eo smiles at her companion's antics; in comparison to Chinoe's silliness, she appears even more to be a smoke-ringed smile beneath a sun-hat. "Most beloved Chinoe, the day you cease to delight me will be the day the sun turns cold and the stars fall from heaven. Is there any way you wish to pass the time we have before the good Khan-General, the little lady, and the scaled girl take their tea?" She turns to the thief with a sweet smile, adjusting the mostly-buttoned shirt of her simple, easy-breathing suit. This is yet another layer to the endless game between the two of them, a game whose layers are themselves games. Except shuffleboard, Eo's terrible at that one.

"Entertaining is what I do. Among others. I am a woman of many talents." Chinoe nonchalantly throws away the remaining peels, and readjusts her glasses. "I know how to pass the time. I bet I can steal something, anything on your person, without you noticing. What'cha bet?"

Beans
2016-06-21, 11:48 AM
"Entertaining is what I do. Among others. I am a woman of many talents." Chinoe nonchalantly throws away the remaining peels, and readjusts her glasses. "I know how to pass the time. I bet I can steal something, anything on your person, without you noticing. What'cha bet?"

Eo tilts her head, blowing smoke over her shoulder. "An intriguing proposal to be sure, most dear one. As for what I offer toward the bet... what do you want? Money is the quickest answer, and therefore the least interesting." She tilts her hat up to let Chinoe see her eyes.
"Items are perhaps slightly more interesting---but I can tell you right now that I have very few plans to relinquish my cane, khopesh, or hat. Perhaps favors of physical intimacy? I myself am no stranger to making wagers for kisses---or more. Or..." She smiles, grinding out the cigar stub. Stepping forward, she brings her face closer to the thief's; her breath smells of cloves and half-truths. "Perhaps you want information? Close as we are, we both know each does not tell the other everything."

Mono Vertigo
2016-06-21, 03:13 PM
"Your mouth, or your secrets? What a dilemma!"
The bespectacled thief leans closer, smirking, sucking the last of the orange juice from her fingers.
"I could perhaps steal that smoke. Gotta live up to my namesake. Compared to you, I don't smoke nearly enough. Dang. That fruit was so overripe, this guy really sells lousy products, he should be happy I'm helping get rid of his poor quality merchandise. Gave up on hoping for rain on a regular basis ages ago. Say, which one would you like most? My mouth, or my secrets? Nah, don't tell, that's no use."
She brandishes a hand, holding...

Rolling for fun. Manip + Larceny + 1-point stunt + 4-motes Excellency, aiming to steal a piece of Eo's clothing, ideally underwear:
[roll0]

Beans
2016-06-21, 03:43 PM
Eo had her eyes closed to make it fair. As Chinoe holds up a pair of rather modest undergarments, Eo opens one eye.
"... As impressive as the feat itself was, I am afraid I felt that. But the feat itself is no mean one, and so... perhaps a fair exchange. A secret for a secret and a mouth for a mouth---does that sound fair?"
Not entirely waiting for an answer, she puts her hands on Chinoe's shoulders, leans up, and initiates smooch-combat.

Mono Vertigo
2016-06-21, 04:27 PM
Chinoe shakes her head, disappointed in herself.
When she has the occasion to catch her breath, she replies: "Are you as eager to share your secret as you are to share your mouth? Go ahead."

ChaosArchon
2016-06-21, 04:54 PM
As he leaves the market, Aivas leaves a message with the most senior guard that he wishes for the local guards to independently investigate the incident and report back to him. After that he heads off to return home, smiling at various people he passes by while other various people either wave or flee. It wasn't until he was almost at the gates of palace that he realized where he was going. He looks at the palace beyond the gates and cannot bring him to pass the gates, at least not today.

In a worse mood than he began the day with, he sets off to retire at his estate. Thankfully the estate is not too far and his tired horse reaches it shortly.

As he reaches the gate he steps off his mount and begins leading the horse by the reigns. At the gate, clad in dark blue armor and armed with a spear and shield each, are the Tazali twins. "Good men, Aivas thinks,"If a little overeager but they still have time to mature." As he approaches, Yang snaps to attention while her brother Rauze hastily follows suit.

"Good to see you sir," says Rauze clad with almost childlike glee.

Aivas grins, even a few hours in the market was far too long away from his people. He nods at the twins,"At ease, any trouble since I left?"

Yang, with a face that is trying her best to remain professional and not join her brother in his Creation-sized joy replies quickly,"No sir! I mean general! Err... no problem at all general Aivas sir!"

Aivas laughs,"I told you both, you're Cobalt Raitons now, just Aivas will do. Now do either of you know where Commander Lina is?"

Rauze, not to be outdone by his sister reports before she could even open her mouth,"In the study s...Aivas."

Aivas smiles,"Well back to your duties then, and remember that dinner is in five hours so don't be late this time." With that he begins heading to the study and walks towards the estate proper, enjoying his stroll on the grounds. The greens were immaculately trimmed, their freshly watered surface gleaming in the sun as their daffodil brethren sway in the wind. As his eye travels he looks over the walls of the estate, brick painted white long ago and now clearly showing its age. Despite the physical appearance though, Lina ensured their structural integrity remained undiminished and had been sure to be especially vigilant of such matters since Cyrus' death.

Finally he arrived at the house proper, a small mansion that prior to being given to the Tri-Khan's generals had been owned by a fairly wealthy Guild merchant who the first Tri-Khan more than remunerated him for his "donation". Its roof was made in the Realm style with the four corners housing small shrines to various household gods and ancestors, marble colored green to give the appearance of being made of jade. Over all an over the top display of wealth that gave Aivas a none too small sense of satisfaction he had turned the house into a barracks save a few personal rooms.

As he entered the house he quickly walked up two floors to the room where he kept a small study. As he entered he could smell the overwhelming aroma of ancient scrolls and books containing all the knowledge he could during his conquests. In his favorite chair, a red velvet one which was immensely comfortable after long nights of study, sat Commander Lina.

His second in command Lina was a force of nature on the battlefield, proficient in everything from axes to zweihänder and braver than any man, woman, or god he had ever met. She was one of the few soldiers who had been part of the last stand where he Exalted. As she looks up, she pushes her black hair out of her eyes,"Hello Aivas, I heard you had quite the adventure in the markets," she says with a small smile.

Aivas laughs,"Yes it could have been quite the brawl had not a small brave girl stepped up and calmed the crowd of warriors." He looks around the bookshelf infused room before continuing,"Listen I need you to do something for me, I need you to personally investigate what happened. Still River is an honorable commander, but she has her biases. Not that we don't either but it wouldn't hurt to look into it eh?"

Ionbound
2016-06-21, 05:46 PM
"All right, follow me." Asheela, after locking up the shop again, takes Alena out to an inkeeper that owes her a favor.

Alena nods and smiles as she follows Asheela to the inn, happy at the display of kindness from the shopkeeper.

Beans
2016-06-21, 07:44 PM
Chinoe shakes her head, disappointed in herself.
When she has the occasion to catch her breath, she replies: "Are you as eager to share your secret as you are to share your mouth? Go ahead."

Eo, cheeks flushed, pulls back and shakes her head with a smile. "Not out in the open, my most endeared Chinoe---once we're behind closed doors. This is a secret I wish only you to know."

Mono Vertigo
2016-06-23, 03:56 PM
"Wiser, indeed. Let's hurry, so we don't miss the entertaining meeting at the teahouse..."

HalfTangible
2016-06-23, 04:19 PM
((Sorry this is a bit rushed I wanna keep things moving aaaaah))

[Tepin]

Tepin is able to fairly quickly find out who Aivas is, given she has his description. Silk, as it turns out, knows exactly where he lives, and the two set off to his manor.

They could have waited until the next day, but Aivas neglected to set an actual time for tea.

Lina comes back to you after a few hours with her report, based largely off of citizen testimony. She also brings a report from Still River.

From the two, you gain a basic picture of what happened.

The day before the confrontation you witnessed, one of the dragon-blooded (a water aspect by the name of Sea Breeze) who had the gall to eat at the overpriced restaurants that the Guild still had open to them collapsed and began vomiting. She was quickly taken back to the Realms' ships, and while she has not died, she has been both delirious and unable to walk since.

Blazing Field, enraged, had gone to find the restaurant in question to make inquiries. According to River's report, Field claimed that he found the murder victim laughing about the dragon-blood she'd laid low. Lina's report states that Field had made forceful inquiries, and that the patrons' laughter had been at jokes made at his expense. The girl he killed had been the woman who served Sea Breeze.

While many of the citizenry think that the Dragon-Blooded just overreacted to food poisoning, what you know of the Terrestrials suggests no mortal cooking is so awful that it can lay a Dragon-Blood down for a day and a half. Deliberate poisoning seems likely.

River adds that Field will not be setting foot in Chiaroscuro again.

Lina, however, reports that River is extremely distracted by something. Tensions have been high ever since the legions arrived, but recently River hasn't been keeping as close an eye on her soldiers as she should. There are whispers in her ranks that she first became this neglectful after recieving a letter from the Isle. She has been frantic ever since.

River signs her report with a little heart.

tonberrian
2016-06-23, 04:31 PM
The smoke lies thick in the Roaring Lion's common room. It's a small, comfortable inn, run by a man named Karash. Two summers ago his son came down with measles. Finances were strained, and Asheela offered tonics and treatment for only a favor. That favor has long been repaid, but Karash and Asheela have traded favors and services between them so often since that neither is sure which owes each other more.

"Karash, do you have any rooms free? I was hoping you could put this woman up for the time being."

Kell_tamer
2016-06-23, 09:14 PM
Tepin makes her way to the residence. And assuming there are guards she tries to politely inquire for an audience. She is of course willing to wait! But she is oh so friendly.... and charming... and kind of adorable...

HalfTangible
2016-06-23, 09:30 PM
The smoke lies thick in the Roaring Lion's common room. It's a small, comfortable inn, run by a man named Karash. Two summers ago his son came down with measles. Finances were strained, and Asheela offered tonics and treatment for only a favor. That favor has long been repaid, but Karash and Asheela have traded favors and services between them so often since that neither is sure which owes each other more.

"Karash, do you have any rooms free? I was hoping you could put this woman up for the time being."

Karash raised an eyebrow as Asheela came in. She usually meant trouble, but she'd saved his hide too many times to turn down anything she asked (also his son).

"C'rtainly, little lady," he said, shutting the book he'd had open. "No one's tryin' to visit Chiaroscuro while the city's like i'tis. Room 4's open, at least fer a while. Nice 'n cozy fer the both of ye."

Ionbound
2016-06-23, 09:57 PM
Alena blinks and says, "The both of us?" Then she shakes her head and smiles graciously, saying, "Thank you, sir. I promise I'll take good care of the room."

tonberrian
2016-06-23, 10:12 PM
"What? No nonononono. Just Alena. I'm not... The room is only for Alena, until she gets some feet under her. Put it on my tab."

Beans
2016-06-23, 11:21 PM
"Wiser, indeed. Let's hurry, so we don't miss the entertaining meeting at the teahouse..."

Eo pulls out another cigar and, as she starts to zip along, cuts it and lights up.
If she weren't an Exalt, she might have a problem thanks to those cheap stogies.

HalfTangible
2016-06-24, 03:11 PM
Alena blinks and says, "The both of us?" Then she shakes her head and smiles graciously, saying, "Thank you, sir. I promise I'll take good care of the room."

"What? No nonononono. Just Alena. I'm not... The room is only for Alena, until she gets some feet under her. Put it on my tab."

"More's the pity. Always nice to have ye in, Asheela." He nodded to Alena. "Just don' break down any o' the walls and ye should be fine. Ther's breakfast if'n yer an early riser. Usually the wife makes muffins."

Room 4 was actually pretty cozy and comfortable, as Karash had said. There was a window looking out to the city streets, and a bed already made for its new customer.

Ionbound
2016-06-24, 09:17 PM
Alena smiles at the thought and says, "Thank you, sir. I'll see you tomorrow morning." Once everyone leaves, she smiles and stretches out on the bed, enjoying being on an actual bed once again, and eventually goes to sleep.

The next day, she wakes up early enough for muffins, which she accepts graciously if they're offered but doesn't ask for, and makes her way towards the tea cafe at the appointed time.

ChaosArchon
2016-06-25, 08:38 PM
Tepin makes her way to the residence. And assuming there are guards she tries to politely inquire for an audience. She is of course willing to wait! But she is oh so friendly.... and charming... and kind of adorable...

As Tepin reaches the gates of the estate she sees a curious sight... a distinct lack of guards. As she and Silk advance on the grounds they can hear a cacophony of shouting ahead of them. Following the noise, they find their selves in the dinning hall...or what's now left of it.

She sees an almost comical struggle unfolding as dust flies through the air and the Colbalt Raitions wrestle with one another. The twins seems to be engaged in a light tap and go match an uncharitable eye would liken to a game of Tag, while Lina and Rachael combat eachother with a speed and ferocity usually reserved to prize fights for boxing matches. Meanwhile a steadily growing dogpile seems to be forming in the center of the room, with recruit and veteran alike pouncing on some figure. And then in an instant they are all thrown off and in the epicenter of the mansplosion stands a laughing Aivas.

More combat can be seen in the hall, but it all shares one trait in common; that the combat is merely for fun rather than genuine violence. As the two ladies walk into the hurricane of blows, they see one figure not taking part in the brawl. An older man, with a necklace whose beads each were the size of a grown man's fist, he sips on his mug of beer and waves at the two new faces. "Welcome to a Colbalt Raition dinner. Name's Makarov, how can I help you ladies?"

Kell_tamer
2016-06-26, 11:19 AM
Tepin shuffles in and gives a bow. "Hello Makarov, I am Tepin, and this is Smooth Silk." She gestures to the Guildswoman.

Turning back to the gentleman. General Aivas and we met earlier. He had invited me for tea, but sadly had neglected to provide a time. I had very much wished to speak with him, as I am an outsider here. I had hoped though that I might help with keeping peace in this troubled time."

She smiles. "Is the General in?" Tepin was young, but carried herself with a dignity that is usually reserved for long lived wisemen.

ChaosArchon
2016-06-26, 01:06 PM
Makarov chuckles,"I think you know the answer to that. He isn't exactly hiding is he. Oi boss! Lady here to see ya!"

Somehow the old man's shout rings out in the hall loud enough for Aivas to hear. The man strides towards the entrance, moving from side to side as other Colbalt Raitions try to tackle him. When he arrives, a new brawl has broken out and even more dust is kicked up. The giant man looks at Tepin and Silk,"Great to see you both again! What can I do for you?"

Kell_tamer
2016-06-26, 04:02 PM
Tepin blushes a bit embarrassed about running off earlier. "Well general, you mentioned tea tomorrow, and well, we never set up a time. Being I'm not from around here, i don't know of any customs regarding time for that."

She gestures to Silk. "And the guildswoman here wishes to discuss the matter of the new Khan, at least in regards to garnering favor."

Beans
2016-06-27, 01:39 PM
Closing the door of their lodgings, Eo locks the door and makes sure the windows are covered. When she's sure they have privacy, she turns to Chinoe. Off comes the hat and the buff jacket; she looks at her friend and fellow Solar, smiling softly.
"Here is what your efforts won, dearest Chinoe."
Running her fingers under the leather wrap on her cane, a change washes over her features. Small elements of facial structure shift, but what's most alarming is the color. Light-tan skin goes porcelain-white; her eyes and hair turn as orange as the rind of a brilliant tangerine. Strangely, those bits that tend to be pink on most people---the lips, inside the mouth, the corners of the eyes---seem to be a pale orange, as if her blood shares the color of her eyes and hair.
"Why I am this way is not known, even to myself. But it is a truth, and one I reveal to you alone."

Mono Vertigo
2016-06-27, 03:43 PM
"That is your real appearance? Unusual, for sure."
Chinoe gazes at Eo, eyes peeking up above her shades. Tilts her head, waits a little, before even approaching her partner. No disgust or surprise shows on her face, only hesitation.
"What a dilemma. I have to reciprocate now, as promised! But what secret shall I pick? I suspect you wouldn't consider the secret of my childhood pet of sufficient value. Its name was Bigface, it was a pond carp. I was, like, 5. Don't judge me."
With an uncharacteristic seriousness, she finally replies: "In this very city, not long ago at all, Chekai, agent of the Realm, was entrusted a lot of power. The kind of power that allows you to do big things. What she planned to do with this city's finding all the Anathema crawling in the safety of the underground, and kill them. No trial or anything, a preemptive strike, just in case. Coulda worked, coulda not, the results woulda been awful either way. She never realized she was being watched, let alone endangered, by somebody. Somebody couldn't reason her, so somebody had to take drastic measures. Anybody could claim she's alive or dead, or where her body is hidden, or even brag about having done the deed, but only somebody knows the truth.
I'm not just anybody, you know."

Beans
2016-06-28, 08:37 AM
Eo watches Chinoe's hesitation carefully. She seems to shift a tiny bit in relief when there's no sign of disgust or even surprise. As Chinoe starts to tell her secret, the pale Eclipse's eyes widen fractionally.
"I had heard whispers of this Chekai, though I had not known her intentions... and that you know this, and what it tells me about you..." Smiling, she actually giggles. "It only stokes my interest in you, Chinoe, in several contexts." She steps closer, one soft white hand running a finger over her partner's arm. "I am sure we will have much to learn of each other in the fullness of time. A question for the moment, however---how ever shall I convince you to return my undergarments?"

Mono Vertigo
2016-06-28, 12:52 PM
Just like dirt washed away in the rain, Chinoe's serious facade melts away in an instant, and she does not bother referencing it again.
"I dunno, I was thinking about starting a collection of something, and as it stands, I can easily get my hands on underwear. But that's kinda unchallenging for me, and I'm not actually that crazy about keeping others' underwear."
The thief hands it back, grinning. "I'll get a better idea once we meet our new friends later. But for now..."

ChaosArchon
2016-06-28, 04:59 PM
Aivas laughs a booming laugh,"Oh how silly of me! Of course I forgot to add a time! I had planned for us all to meet at noon at the White Lotus tea house but that won't help much if nobody knows the time to meet." He looks at Makarov,"Would you please find the young woman who I also invited and inform her of the time? Given her unique appearance I should think she'd be quite easy to locate by unkind rumors alone. Here's some coin to "convince" people to be more...verbose."

Aivas then gives a slight nod to the Guildlady,"Now how can I help you Factor Silk?"

again, not totally sure what title Silk owns but i could have sworn local guild leaders were called factors?

Beans
2016-06-29, 09:16 AM
Eo takes and puts away the garment. "For now?" Turning back to Chinoe, she smiles, eyes bright. "Do go on."

HalfTangible
2016-06-29, 05:40 PM
Aivas laughs a booming laugh,"Oh how silly of me! Of course I forgot to add a time! I had planned for us all to meet at noon at the White Lotus tea house but that won't help much if nobody knows the time to meet." He looks at Makarov,"Would you please find the young woman who I also invited and inform her of the time? Given her unique appearance I should think she'd be quite easy to locate by unkind rumors alone. Here's some coin to "convince" people to be more...verbose."

Aivas then gives a slight nod to the Guildlady,"Now how can I help you Factor Silk?"

again, not totally sure what title Silk owns but i could have sworn local guild leaders were called factors?

... well they are now.

Silk turned to glare at little Tepin. "You said you had a general you wished to speak with; You didn't tell me it'd be Aivas." She muttered. "What am I supposed to do with this?"

She looked back to Aivas, a slight smile on her face. "My good lord, as a representative of the Guild, I seek only to enrich Chiaroscuro and yourself with the mighty mercantile majesty of my merchantry. To that end, I seek supporters for the Guild's candidate to become the next Tri-Khan, Nayan."

"Unfortunately," She continued, smile fading, "You are one of those candidates, so speaking to you on that front would likely be a waste of our time."

ChaosArchon
2016-07-03, 12:58 AM
Aivs grins,"Would it? I have a proposal for you Factor Silk. Chiaroscuro has enjoyed a prosperous relationship with the Guild. Under the..." He pauses a moment then speaks again, "Forgive me, ny heart lies intered with Ceres in his coffin and I must pause til it come back to me."

He takes up a mug and takes a sip and then continues,"As I was saying, under reign of Ceres, our city and the Guild enjoyed a profitable relationship. I see no reason for that to cease. I know you were not wholly pleased the result of the riot today and I apologize for that. I made a choice that appeared the most beneficial for our relationship. But alas the politics of late mean too obvious a bias could lead to civil war. I hope you understand." he says with a smile.

"If you shift your support to me, I promise I will uphold Ceres' deals and more. After all partnership works both ways, you support my claim and once TriKhan I can support yours. So, what do you say?"

Activating Masterful Performance Excercise and x5 Solar Performance Excellency

Cha (4)+ Performance (3)+ Excellency (5): [roll0] +1 sux, reroll all 1s

Mono Vertigo
2016-07-03, 09:39 AM
Two short women enter the previously mentioned tea house. One of them, with a mass of dark red hair and tiny shades, looks around with growing disappointment. "Are we early?", she asks Eo, "Everyone's not here. Ugh. Life never rewards me when I'm trying not to be late! Oh well. Let's wait with some tea. Classic green tea for me."

HalfTangible
2016-07-03, 12:58 PM
Aivs grins,"Would it? I have a proposal for you Factor Silk. Chiaroscuro has enjoyed a prosperous relationship with the Guild. Under the..." He pauses a moment then speaks again, "Forgive me, ny heart lies intered with Ceres in his coffin and I must pause til it come back to me."

He takes up a mug and takes a sip and then continues,"As I was saying, under reign of Ceres, our city and the Guild enjoyed a profitable relationship. I see no reason for that to cease. I know you were not wholly pleased the result of the riot today and I apologize for that. I made a choice that appeared the most beneficial for our relationship. But alas the politics of late mean too obvious a bias could lead to civil war. I hope you understand." he says with a smile.

"If you shift your support to me, I promise I will uphold Ceres' deals and more. After all partnership works both ways, you support my claim and once TriKhan I can support yours. So, what do you say?"

Activating Masterful Performance Excercise and x5 Solar Performance Excellency

Cha (4)+ Performance (3)+ Excellency (5): [roll0] +1 sux, reroll all 1s

Silk frowned and placed her hand to her chin. For a while, she seemed to be considering his offer. Eventually, however, she sighed and shook her head. "Look. I have no desire to speak ill of the dead, but Ceres' arrangement with my superiors was not a happy one. He played too nice with the Realm, and kept many of our... more profitable endeavors out of his city."

"My bosses want a Tri-Khan who they know will respond more favorably to them, and they know Nayan will. When he does, the Guild will feel safer in investing more heavily in the city. Its harbor can be used to ship more goods further out."

"The people will be wealthier, safer and fatter under him than under you, or that moron the Realm is backing."

"If you truly wish to work with us once you gain power, you have two options that I can see. One: kindly step down, and support Nayan. You'll maintain your rank, of course, and if stories of the Anathema's unnatural lifespan are true you will have another opportunity before long."

"Two: Show me you intend to foster ties with the Guild once you become Tri-Khan. I even have an idea of how to show me so."

Narrow success

Attempting to convince Aivas to either step down or prove his sincere intentions to the Guild.

Manipulation 3 + Socialize 2 + Specialty: Cut a deal

[roll0]

Ionbound
2016-07-03, 03:24 PM
As Tepin enters the tea shop, she might note the mutant woman that Aivas invited to tea after the fiasco in the square already sitting in one of the seats, calmly looking around the restaurant, waiting for Aivas to arrive in silence and calmness.

Beans
2016-07-04, 02:18 PM
Two short women enter the previously mentioned tea house. One of them, with a mass of dark red hair and tiny shades, looks around with growing disappointment. "Are we early?", she asks Eo, "Everyone's not here. Ugh. Life never rewards me when I'm trying not to be late! Oh well. Let's wait with some tea. Classic green tea for me."
Eo adjusts her hat and shrugs. In the meantime since their embrace, she has re-engaged her Hearthstone's effect to look once again like a citizen of normal coloration. "All the better to be more unobtrusive, dearest Chinoe." She pulls out a chair for her friend at a small out-of-the-way table.

HalfTangible
2016-07-05, 10:17 AM
Tea Shop

A dragon-blood does not go unnoticed, even if she wants to. Still River entered the tea shop, wearing the same jade armor she had worn in the riot yesterday polished to a mirror shine. She glanced about the shop before her eyes settled on Alena. There was a brief flash of recognition before she moved to sit across from the mutant.

She looked up to the girl's eyes. "You were in the square yesterday. Aivas invited you too." It wasn't a question.

Ionbound
2016-07-05, 10:59 AM
Alena nods to River, smiling at the sight of the Dragonblood in spite of herself as she says, "That was me, yes. I do suppose I stand out a bit, don't I...But I don't think we've been properly introduced? My name is Alena."

HalfTangible
2016-07-05, 11:21 AM
Alena nods to River, smiling at the sight of the Dragonblood in spite of herself as she says, "That was me, yes. I do suppose I stand out a bit, don't I...But I don't think we've been properly introduced? My name is Alena."

"Still River." She said, glancing at the door. Their tea arrived before Aivas did. She put in several scoops of sugar too many and began to stir, frowning.

"As I hear it, you tried to calm the crowd, and prevented an actual fight from breaking out. Thank you. This entire situation has been difficult and tense for us all."

She took a sip of her tea. "However, I'm very curious; see, I've been in charge of the Realm's forces here for about... 40 years or so, I don't really keep track. (albeit many more forces now than most of that time) If you haven't heard of me, you're probably not from around here. Where exactly are you from?" Her eyes fell to the girl's scales for a brief moment before looking back up.

Ionbound
2016-07-05, 03:20 PM
Alena nods and says, "I see. Thank you...And yes. I'm not from here, but...I doubt I'm from where you think I'm from. I was born in Thorns. Lived there until...Well...Until everyone died. I managed to escape from the city when it became apparent loss was imminent, though I did manage to kill an Anathema on my way out. I...Ended up wandering into the Wyld afterwards, though, which is why I look like this. But now I'm here!"

ChaosArchon
2016-07-07, 10:50 AM
Aivas frowns, well nothing worthwhile was easy. He looks at Factor Silk for a moment for speaking, appraising her stance. "Fair enough, what did you have in mind."

HalfTangible
2016-07-08, 12:39 AM
Alena nods and says, "I see. Thank you...And yes. I'm not from here, but...I doubt I'm from where you think I'm from. I was born in Thorns. Lived there until...Well...Until everyone died. I managed to escape from the city when it became apparent loss was imminent, though I did manage to kill an Anathema on my way out. I...Ended up wandering into the Wyld afterwards, though, which is why I look like this. But now I'm here!""Ah. Wyld taint. Pity."

"I had..." She hesitated. "Friends, in Thorns. But I didn't live there. I'm sorry for your loss."

River's eyebrow was raised in a disbelieving glance. "I'm sorry... you fought one of the Anathema that destroyed Thorns and not only survived, but killed it? And this was before your trip into the Wyld? How did you accomplish such a feat?"

Aivas frowns, well nothing worthwhile was easy. He looks at Factor Silk for a moment for speaking, appraising her stance. "Fair enough, what did you have in mind."

Silk smirked. "Oh, nothing too drastic. Simply enflame the Realm here against you. Destroy their temples, kill one of their commanders, something to show that they aren't welcome here. Still River hasn't openly denounced you as of yet, and that concerns my employers."

ChaosArchon
2016-07-08, 10:48 AM
Aivas looks Silk in the eyes as his smile drops,"Senseless violence will only hurt this city even more. How about this, I'll reduce the port tariffs on Guild goods from 15% to 7.5% for a year and a day to give you a promise of things to come. In return, you will simply not try to start any more trouble with the Realm. Won't even have to support my claim, but I will say this a city in flames is hardly a profitable one compared to one at peace."

HalfTangible
2016-07-08, 06:26 PM
Aivas looks Silk in the eyes as his smile drops,"Senseless violence will only hurt this city even more. How about this, I'll reduce the port tariffs on Guild goods from 15% to 7.5% for a year and a day to give you a promise of things to come. In return, you will simply not try to start any more trouble with the Realm. Won't even have to support my claim, but I will say this a city in flames is hardly a profitable one compared to one at peace."

"Unless I have very greatly misread your rank, you do not have the power to grant such a gift." She growled. "By 'enflame' I am not suggesting you start a war with the Realm, I'm suggesting you anger them until they denounce you. At that stage, I will lend you the Guild's support in place of Nayan."

Kell_tamer
2016-07-08, 06:35 PM
Tepin clasps her hand over her mouth at the suggestion of murder and the desecration of temples. "That is how the guild operates? Murder? Destruction? I thought you were civilized!"

HalfTangible
2016-07-08, 06:42 PM
Tepin clasps her hand over her mouth at the suggestion of murder and the desecration of temples. "That is how the guild operates? Murder? Destruction? I thought you were civilized!"

"I am - I find the idea abhorrent, actually." She growled. "But the Realm is not, Delzahn are not, the Guild is very desperate, and my superiors will require something... very substantial to change plans this close to the deadline."

"Show the Realm they are not welcome in your city any longer and I will ensure the Guild's support to your claim." She clasped her hands behind her back.

Ionbound
2016-07-09, 09:22 PM
"Ah. Wyld taint. Pity."

"I had..." She hesitated. "Friends, in Thorns. But I didn't live there. I'm sorry for your loss."

River's eyebrow was raised in a disbelieving glance. "I'm sorry... you fought one of the Anathema that destroyed Thorns and not only survived, but killed it? And this was before your trip into the Wyld? How did you accomplish such a feat?"

Alena winces at the memory and says, "I-I see. I wish I could say that they at least died cleanly, but...I'm sorry."

She takes a deep breath, composing herself, then brightens slightly as she says, "As for how I killed one of them, well...Not even an Anathema can survive getting their head blown off by a series of flame shots. He was a massive man, with a daiklave and the heaviest armor you can imagine. But he was slow. Apparently even with all his strength, it wasn't enough to move faster than me in all that. I blew his helmet off, then he tried to cut me in half, overhead. I dodged, and before he could get his sword out of the ground, I had burned his face off with another couple shots. Followed by the rest of his head. I don't even know if he knew what pain was before he met his end."

ChaosArchon
2016-07-10, 10:14 AM
Aivas stares at Silk for a moment and then speaks,"Hmm you're correct, I suppose I can't have the tariffs modified currently. But should you support me I can do that and so much more. Now your puppet certainly could do that as well, in fact he would likely do more than I in that respect. But there's a difference between he and I, isn't there. Should you support me he may quietly whine but do no more than that. I...I will raise such a hell the likes Creation has never seen. I will do this not out of jealousy or avarice, but because you have blatantly shown you do not care about this city beyond how it lines your pockets. You would incite the Dragons to torch the city down if it meant you could claim insurance on it. So I give you a new offer. You have two options, one kindly step down and support me. You will keep your rank of course, and if the rumors of the Guild's machinations are true, I'm sure you'll have another chance to create your own puppet kingdom. Option two is you show me how you intend to genuinely help and foster meaningful ties with the people and city of Chiaroscuro. In fact I even have an idea of how you could do so."

HalfTangible
2016-07-10, 10:56 AM
Alena winces at the memory and says, "I-I see. I wish I could say that they at least died cleanly, but...I'm sorry."

She takes a deep breath, composing herself, then brightens slightly as she says, "As for how I killed one of them, well...Not even an Anathema can survive getting their head blown off by a series of flame shots. He was a massive man, with a daiklave and the heaviest armor you can imagine. But he was slow. Apparently even with all his strength, it wasn't enough to move faster than me in all that. I blew his helmet off, then he tried to cut me in half, overhead. I dodged, and before he could get his sword out of the ground, I had burned his face off with another couple shots. Followed by the rest of his head. I don't even know if he knew what pain was before he met his end."River nodded. "I did not expect their deaths to be clean. But I hope they died fighting."

She raised an eyebrow at the description of how she killed him. "... The Anathema... was slow. And fought you alone in the middle of his master's takeover of an entire city." Her tone indicated a dry disbelief.

Aivas stares at Silk for a moment and then speaks,"Hmm you're correct, I suppose I can't have the tariffs modified currently. But should you support me I can do that and so much more. Now your puppet certainly could do that as well, in fact he would likely do more than I in that respect. But there's a difference between he and I, isn't there. Should you support me he may quietly whine but do no more than that. I...I will raise such a hell the likes Creation has never seen. I will do this not out of jealousy or avarice, but because you have blatantly shown you do not care about this city beyond how it lines your pockets. You would incite the Dragons to torch the city down if it meant you could claim insurance on it. So I give you a new offer. You have two options, one kindly step down and support me. You will keep your rank of course, and if the rumors of the Guild's machinations are true, I'm sure you'll have another chance to create your own puppet kingdom. Option two is you show me how you intend to genuinely help and foster meaningful ties with the people and city of Chiaroscuro. In fact I even have an idea of how you could do so."

Her eyes narrowed. "Your mockery is noted."

"Funny you should mention the city getting torched down. How much do you trust Still River?" Her arms folded. "You shouldn't. If anything, my plan is the act of a saint compared to what that bitch has cooking."

"But I'm being rude; go on, name your price."

ChaosArchon
2016-07-10, 11:47 AM
As Silk claims knowledge of River posessing some nefarious plan, Aivas examines her closely. Was this some spurious claim made to entice Aivas to side with the Guild? Or perhaps she truly believed the Realm had violence planned for his city.

He watches her breathing, noting how her breath is held, and how her pupils dilate and contract.

Per(3)+Stunt (2) vs Silk's Guile [roll0]

HalfTangible
2016-07-10, 11:55 AM
As Silk claims knowledge of River posessing some nefarious plan, Aivas examines her closely. Was this some spurious claim made to entice Aivas to side with the Guild? Or perhaps she truly believed the Realm had violence planned for his city.

He watches her breathing, noting how her breath is held, and how her pupils dilate and contract.

Per(3)+Stunt (2) vs Silk's Guile [roll0]

As far as Aivas can tell, she's not lying. However, Aivas can tell she is very nervous that he'll take it as a lie and cut her head off.

Ionbound
2016-07-10, 05:04 PM
Alena frowns as she says, "We weren't in the city. He was pretty much a border guard, the last guy standing between myself and escape, and he was cocky as heck besides. And yes, he was slower than me. My dad was a dragon-blood, I'm not exactly a normal mortal. And while he was certainly faster than anyone else in that kind of armor, he was still slower than an unarmored woman with a couple light weapons. So yes. That's what happened."

Kell_tamer
2016-07-12, 02:14 PM
Tepin's eyes go back and forth between the two individuals. This could get ugly...

The fact it was all accusations of who is more murderous than who was disquieting. "So.... everyone getting along is out of the question here I take it...." Her shoulders visibly slump.

HalfTangible
2016-07-12, 04:02 PM
Tepin's eyes go back and forth between the two individuals. This could get ugly...

The fact it was all accusations of who is more murderous than who was disquieting. "So.... everyone getting along is out of the question here I take it...." Her shoulders visibly slump.

Silk looked at her, surprise evident on her face. "One, I said that when I came in so that shouldn't surprise you. Two, we're negotiating."

Alena frowns as she says, "We weren't in the city. He was pretty much a border guard, the last guy standing between myself and escape, and he was cocky as heck besides. And yes, he was slower than me. My dad was a dragon-blood, I'm not exactly a normal mortal. And while he was certainly faster than anyone else in that kind of armor, he was still slower than an unarmored woman with a couple light weapons. So yes. That's what happened."

"... Alright. I didn't mean any offense." She said, leaning back in her chair. "So, if I may change the subject, why did you come to tea with Aivas?"

Ionbound
2016-07-12, 04:22 PM
Alena nods and replies, "Mostly because he invited me. What would I do, simply not show up? That would be rude." She pauses, thinking for a moment, then asks, "You wouldn't happen to know the commander of Realm forces in this city, would you? I'd like to arrange a meeting with them, if it would be possible..."

HalfTangible
2016-07-12, 04:36 PM
Alena nods and replies, "Mostly because he invited me. What would I do, simply not show up? That would be rude." She pauses, thinking for a moment, then asks, "You wouldn't happen to know the commander of Realm forces in this city, would you? I'd like to arrange a meeting with them, if it would be possible..."She shrugged. "I more meant what you want out of this meeting, but that is fair."

Still River raised an eyebrow at that. "Um, no offense, but... You are a mortal with little social standing, and she is a commander. That's an extremely busy job, especially now with the Tri-Khan's funeral coming up. I doubt that there's room in her schedule for such a thing. The fact that you survived Thorns would normally merit her personal attention, 'tis true, but this city is a step away from civil war. Thorns is important, but its situation will likely not change any time soon. Chiaroscuro is important and urgent."

"If there's something you want to tell her, though, you could just tell me and I'll make sure she hears about it."

Ionbound
2016-07-12, 05:28 PM
Alena sighs and says, "Ah...I didn't really hope so. I just...I would like to know if there are any plans to try to retake Thorns. I...Even if I don't get to know the specifics...I was a captain there. I want to help, if I can."

HalfTangible
2016-07-12, 08:38 PM
Alena sighs and says, "Ah...I didn't really hope so. I just...I would like to know if there are any plans to try to retake Thorns. I...Even if I don't get to know the specifics...I was a captain there. I want to help, if I can."

Still River steepled her fingers and looked towards the outside. She was quiet for a few long moments.

"... The Realm..." She hesitated. "... is considering options in regards to retaking Thorns. But it will likely be a longer game than you hope. I'm sorry."

Ionbound
2016-07-12, 09:43 PM
Alena frowns and rubs her temples saying, "I-I see." She bites her lower lip, looking sad as she says, "Which means really, nothing will be done, will it. By the time that the Realm is ready to move, there will be no one left to save, and it'll be deemed pointless." She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, then says, "I guess that gives me something to talk to Aivas about, doesn't it." She chuckles weakly at the idea, then shakes her head sadly.

ChaosArchon
2016-07-12, 09:44 PM
Aivas pauses, if Still River really was planning on calling a Wyld Hunt or worse then the damage to the city during their struggle could be incalcuable...

"Factor Silk, if you what you say is true...do you have any proof they are planning violence?"

HalfTangible
2016-07-12, 10:30 PM
Alena frowns and rubs her temples saying, "I-I see." She bites her lower lip, looking sad as she says, "Which means really, nothing will be done, will it. By the time that the Realm is ready to move, there will be no one left to save, and it'll be deemed pointless." She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, then says, "I guess that gives me something to talk to Aivas about, doesn't it." She chuckles weakly at the idea, then shakes her head sadly.

River looked away. "... As far as my superiors are concerned, we've already passed that point. The Anathema are not known for their kind and loving nature, these new Underworld ones even less so."

"Some of the Realm's generals want the city retaken, for morale purposes if nothing else, but the cost in men and resources doesn't make the attempt worth it when there's no one left to save. Even if we could retake Thorns, we'd have a giant hole to the Underworld to close before it was safe for anyone to live there, and I'm not even sure how we'd do that."

"I only command the forces in this city; that's not enough to retake it on my own."

"Aivas is a good man. He'll want to help. It may not be the smartest idea to go, but he WILL want to help."

".... Alena, wasn't it?" She hesitated, "... You said you were a guard captain. What were your orders when the Mask of Winters attacked?"

Aivas pauses, if Still River really was planning on calling a Wyld Hunt or worse then the damage to the city during their struggle could be incalcuable...

"Factor Silk, if you what you say is true...do you have any proof they are planning violence?"

"We intercepted River's most recent orders from the Blessed Isle, as an immediate reply to her request for reinforcements to 'quell civil unrest'." Silk raised a finger. "Understand, I don't have them on me (they had to be sent to her after we got it) and the subjugation of this city is not directly stated as their goal. They claim that what they want is for Still River to find a peaceful solution."

"However, their suggested 'peaceful solution' is for River to make her puppet Tri-Khan through force before the Realm's ships arrive. If the city is still in chaos, which seems likely in that scenario, then they'll..." She coughed. "'Reevaluate the Delzhan tribes as strategic allies', as they put it."

"You know as well as I do that the Realm has always been dissatisfied with Chiaroscuro's status. It's technically part of the realm, but only in name; Ceres did an admirable job of keeping their hands out of his business. The chaos from a lack of a unified leader is a legitimate enough Casus Belli for the Realm to insert their own puppet. And I guarantee it will not be someone friendly to the people."

"And the Guild is unhappy for the same reason; Chiaroscuro has played at being nice with us, but always pushed the Realm in when things didn't go the way they liked. With the news that the Realm may take an even greater interest in Chiaroscuro - and thus hurt our bottom line even more - they've ordered me to get this city under Guild control by any means necessary."

She took a step forward. "The Realm planned to arrive five days hence, immediately after Ceres' funeral. That'll be your last chance to rally support around one Tri-Khan."

Ionbound
2016-07-12, 11:42 PM
Alena sighs and shakes her head, saying, "When I left, at least, there were people left alive. Perhaps not many, but some." She sighs, shaking her head as she says, "As for my orders, the last one my commanding officer gave before he was cut down was to defend the gates of the city. Unfortunately, when that mission fell apart, there was no one left to give orders. Shortly after that the proper siege started...That's about the same time I left. The last thing I remember was them releasing pigs into the city that...That..." Alena chokes up slightly, then takes a deep breath before continuing, "When someone ate them...Their skeleton started moving of it's own accord...Ripping their flesh off. I commanded anyone that would listen to not eat them, but..." As she continues, she looks more and more haunted until she's on the edge of tears, "Th-They were so hungry...I-I just couldn't...I couldn't stop them." She shudders as she seems to look off into the distance, then shakes her head, saying, "That's about when I left. When it was clear that there was nothing left to defend."

Beans
2016-07-14, 08:39 PM
Eo gets her tea, thanking the waitress with a smile. As she hears the Wyld-scathed woman speak with the Dynast, she tries to pick up what she can of their conversation.

She also lets her hand creep toward Chinoe's.

PRC 3 + Awareness 2 = 5 to listen in
[roll0]

DEX 3 + Stealth 0 = 3 for sneaky date shenanigans
[roll1]

Mono Vertigo
2016-07-17, 09:40 AM
Mirroring Eo's moves, Chinoe discretely stretches toward the same discussion, though she wants instead to figure out what is the Wyrd-touched woman's position in her society, judging from her stance and tone.
"Tell me they're talking about something interesting", she asks in a whisper, "also that this is what I think it is, and not a spider."

Per + Soc. [roll0]

HalfTangible
2016-07-17, 12:03 PM
Alena sighs and shakes her head, saying, "When I left, at least, there were people left alive. Perhaps not many, but some." She sighs, shaking her head as she says, "As for my orders, the last one my commanding officer gave before he was cut down was to defend the gates of the city. Unfortunately, when that mission fell apart, there was no one left to give orders. Shortly after that the proper siege started...That's about the same time I left. The last thing I remember was them releasing pigs into the city that...That..." Alena chokes up slightly, then takes a deep breath before continuing, "When someone ate them...Their skeleton started moving of it's own accord...Ripping their flesh off. I commanded anyone that would listen to not eat them, but..." As she continues, she looks more and more haunted until she's on the edge of tears, "Th-They were so hungry...I-I just couldn't...I couldn't stop them." She shudders as she seems to look off into the distance, then shakes her head, saying, "That's about when I left. When it was clear that there was nothing left to defend."River looked away. "... I'm sorry, Alena. We don't have to talk about it..."

Eo gets her tea, thanking the waitress with a smile. As she hears the Wyld-scathed woman speak with the Dynast, she tries to pick up what she can of their conversation.

She also lets her hand creep toward Chinoe's.

PRC 3 + Awareness 2 = 5 to listen in
[roll0]

DEX 3 + Stealth 0 = 3 for sneaky date shenanigans
[roll1]

Mirroring Eo's moves, Chinoe discretely stretches toward the same discussion, though she wants instead to figure out what is the Wyrd-touched woman's position in her society, judging from her stance and tone.
"Tell me they're talking about something interesting", she asks in a whisper, "also that this is what I think it is, and not a spider."

Per + Soc. [roll0]

You can both tell that whatever the two are talking about, it's upsetting the Wyld-touched woman. The woman in armor's attempting to be sympathetic.

Chinoe can hear that their names are Alena and Still River.

Eo takes Chinoe's hand before the latter notices.

Ionbound
2016-07-17, 12:44 PM
Alena nods to River and says, "I-it's okay. Thank you for telling me, at least." She sighs and rests her elbows against the table, putting her head in her hands as she tries to resolve what she just found out.

ChaosArchon
2016-07-17, 01:04 PM
Aivas sighs,"I need to reflect on this, thank you for the visit Factor Silk, Tepin. Silk I will send a messenger once I make a decision."

HalfTangible
2016-07-17, 01:06 PM
Aivas sighs,"I need to reflect on this, thank you for the visit Factor Silk, Tepin. Silk I will send a messenger once I make a decision."

Silk nodded and turned to leave. "Send it to any guild-run business, they'll get it to me within the day."

Kell_tamer
2016-07-18, 08:28 AM
After Silk leaves, Tepin lets out a bit of a sigh. "I completely judged her wrong....." She shakes her head. "You do a favor, then get blackmailed, then find out the person you helped is not above really barbaric means..."

She shakes it off. "I'm sorry general. my problems aren't yours. She smiles. "Would you still like to get that tea?"

ChaosArchon
2016-07-18, 02:07 PM
Aivas grins,"Of course! At noon tomorrow then Tepin! I hope to see you in better cheer than tonight," and with that Aivas returns to cavorting with his crew, and in the afternoon strides to the White Lotus tea house only slightly late and begins looking for Tepin and the Wyld-touched lady.

Sith_Happens
2016-07-18, 03:29 PM
White Lotus Teahouse, Noon

Given the nature of the previous day's altercation, word of it had of course traveled quickly. Furthermore, it had come to Kalek Zafar's attention through certain reliable sources that, in the course of these events, Aivas Khan had invited some rather interesting characters to tea. Knowing his friend's habits well, the former statesman arrives at the White Lotus at precisely noon. Not seeing Aivas there, he instead spots a different familiar face and approaches her table.

"Commander."

Kalek gives Still River a respectful bow.

"Is Aivas not supposed to be here? I will admit I had to guess at the time and place, but I am quite sure that he had recently arranged to meet certain persons of interest over tea."

HalfTangible
2016-07-18, 04:25 PM
White Lotus Teahouse, Noon

Given the nature of the previous day's altercation, word of it had of course traveled quickly. Furthermore, it had come to Kalek Zafar's attention through certain reliable sources that, in the course of these events, Aivas Khan had invited some rather interesting characters to tea. Knowing his friend's habits well, the former statesman arrives at the White Lotus at precisely noon. Not seeing Aivas there, he instead spots a different familiar face and approaches her table.

"Commander."

Kalek gives Still River a respectful bow.

"Is Aivas not supposed to be here? I will admit I had to guess at the time and place, but I am quite sure that he had recently arranged to meet certain persons of interest over tea."

River immediately moved over before giving him a smile. "Vizier. Always good to see you. And yes, he's supposed to be here by now, but-"

the afternoon strides to the White Lotus tea house only slightly late and begins looking for Tepin and the Wyld-touched lady.

"-oh, there he is." River rolled her eyes. "I'd call it fashionably late, but it's hardly fashionable. Good to see you, Aivas." She pointed to the Wyld-touched woman. "This is Alena. She's seeking help for her home."

"... Thorns."

Sith_Happens
2016-07-18, 07:50 PM
Kalek turns his attention toward Alena and extends a hand.

"Greetings, I am Kalek Zafar, advisor to the late Tri-Khan, may his soul find rest. My deepest condolences regarding the state of your homeland."

Kell_tamer
2016-07-19, 05:41 PM
Tepin stands. She is dressed in a simple skirt with colorful diamond patters on the extended loin cloth, above her exposed abdomen is a wrap over her chest that comes to an intersection underneath a colorful shawl with sun and sky motifs. She wears a sun themed headdress atop her brow. She gives a very polite bow. "Hello again General." She turns and bows to Kalek. "And Greetings to you as well Kalek. I am Tepin"

She smiles briefly before turning back to Alena. "What has happened to your city? If there is anyway I can help, well the Sun would never forgive me if I did nothing to aid..."

Beans
2016-07-19, 08:02 PM
Sneakily holding Chinoe's hand, Eo casts an eye over the new arrivals--the vizier, the small girl, and the captain.

She looks to her companion.
"Shall we let them settle in first, or shall we spring to the occasion of being good citizens?"

ChaosArchon
2016-07-19, 08:39 PM
Aivas flashes a smile at Still River but the smile vanishes as he remembers what Silk had told him last night. Perhaps after this tea he would do some investigation into the matter himself, but right now there were people to meet and words to exchange. He is dressed in his usual black buff jacket, opened to the air as if to provoke any who wished to try and stab him for it would do them no good. Sun shines off his teeth as he laughs,"It seems this tea is a far bigger occasion than I had planned. It's good to see you River, and you too Kalek. I was wondering where you were amid all the "fun" yesterday had in store."

At the mention of Thorns his smile vanishes,"I'm sorry to hear that Miss Alena. Ceres and I had heard of what happened in your homeland and were shocked. Alas right now...well for the moment I'm afraid we cannot do much more than offer you our most deep condolences."

He then sits down dejected for a moment before forcing another smile on his face,"But let's not let the tea go to waste eh! White Lotus' tea is world famous, it has exotic recopies from the far West. All the way from isle of Paraida."

Ionbound
2016-07-19, 09:22 PM
Alena forces a smile as well as she sits down for tea, saying, "Agreed. It's...A long, sad story. But my home is occupied by death itself." She sighs and shakes her head, saying, "Anyways, tea. I-I can't wait to try it..." She trails off, regretting her lack of funds.

Sith_Happens
2016-07-20, 02:37 PM
Kalek turns his attention toward Tepin and returns her greeting.

"Ah, and you must be the other guest of honor. Truly, the description I was given does not do you justice."

"It seems this tea is a far bigger occasion than I had planned. It's good to see you River, and you too Kalek. I was wondering where you were amid all the "fun" yesterday had in store."

"Unfortunately, unlike certain of my coworkers I am a busy man and can't always happen upon the scene whenever something interesting occurs."

The implied jab at Aivas' work ethic is clearly meant in jest.

"I had an opening today, though, and as such decided to invite myself to this little gathering. Any friends of yours are friends of mine, after all."

Kalek sits down in the nearest chair and asks the first available waiter for a cup of Island green tea.

Kell_tamer
2016-07-21, 02:37 PM
Tepin's already reddish brown cheeks turns redder. "Th-thank you."

She turns back to Alena. "I am sorry to hear of it. Please know that I will gladly offer my services in aid to you if you but ask..." She gives a polite bow.

Ionbound
2016-07-21, 07:18 PM
Alena smiles to Tepin and says, "Thank you for the thought, but...I'm afraid doing anything would be impossible right now...Retaking the city would require, at the least, the Realm's full support. Which is...Apparently not going to happen."

She takes a deep breath, then shakes her head and says, "In any event, let's move on from that. I don't suppose you had a reason for inviting me here, Aivas? Other than...Well, just for tea time. I don't exactly have a winning personality."

HalfTangible
2016-07-21, 08:09 PM
Alena smiles to Tepin and says, "Thank you for the thought, but...I'm afraid doing anything would be impossible right now...Retaking the city would require, at the least, the Realm's full support. Which is...Apparently not going to happen."

"I know it seems like the Dragon Blooded are all-powerful," River said quietly, stirring sugar into her tea. "But if that were true Thorns wouldn't have fallen in the first place. You'd need someone higher ranked than me, with more men."

"And the fact that you got out of that city alive," She added, "is going to be interesting news to my superiors. I'll pass it along, maybe it'll get them to reevaluate their position."

River turned to Aivas. "Yes, what did you invite us all here for?"

Mono Vertigo
2016-07-22, 10:25 AM
Sneakily holding Chinoe's hand, Eo casts an eye over the new arrivals--the vizier, the small girl, and the captain.

She looks to her companion.
"Shall we let them settle in first, or shall we spring to the occasion of being good citizens?"

Disappointed she couldn't read much more from their speech and interactions, Chinoe replies with an exaggerated sigh: "That second thing. The, what'cha said? Good citizens? That thing."
The thief holds her hand a bit tighter before releasing.

Beans
2016-07-22, 11:54 AM
Eo stands, gliding over toward the important gathering; she is a gleaming smile beneath the brim of a wide conical hat, wafting in the residual cinnamon scent of whiteleaf cigars.
"Milord Aivas, I must apologize as I intrude on your harmonious gathering---but nevertheless, its necessity outweighs my hesitation to overstep certain bounds. I bring information I deemed better laid before you than left to flit about unattended. That part of it which I can dispense in the company of your..." Her eyes flick over the gathering, "... illustrious compatriots... concerns certain activities of the Guild. Other parts---and I mean no offense to those I must regretfully exclude---I cannot in good conscience express but to the ears of milord Aivas alone."

ChaosArchon
2016-07-22, 07:57 PM
Aivas grins at Kalek's jab, but otherwise stays silent for a little. As the requests asking why he brought them here pile in, he grins,"To be perfectly honest? I thought it just a good opportunity to praise the two civilians who helped stop yesterday from devolving into an all out brawl. Chiaroscuro is a powder keg right now and I will not allow Ceres' legacy to implode so shortly after his passing, I will not allow his life and his ancestors' to be for naught."

Finishing his little speech, he raises his tea cup to the ceiling and toasts,"To Tepin. To Alena. To Ceres." As he drains the tea, he detects the faint hint of salt water the Paradian tea is well known for and sighs contently.

As the large hatted person approaches he raises an eyebrow,"Well for now let's see what you have to say about the Guild miss...?"

Kell_tamer
2016-07-23, 10:16 AM
Tepin again blushes. But she drinks her Tea after toasting the others all the same.

Mono Vertigo
2016-07-24, 01:42 PM
The other half of the pair watches Eo with bemused eyes, looking up above the small round shades. She's got the start of a hang on the situation, she thinks. Right now, her presence would only undermine her. You gotta know when to vanish, sometimes.
Chinoe finishes her tea with a long sip, while the other one finishes her introduction, savouring its flavour with more hurry than would be recommended. At the instant she puts the empty cup back on the table, and her presence is no longer a problem. Her attitude has changed very subtly; she's become part of the furniture, an abstract idea of a client, an utterly uninteresting shape despite the wild hair and mismatched clothes, a figure whose rough angles don't manage to catch one's eyes.
Strolling very calmly with her hands in her pockets, she approaches the large group of strangers with the confidence of somebody who belongs right there. First, let's listen and watch closely.

Easily-Overlooked Presence Method, I choose you!

Beans
2016-07-25, 09:27 AM
Eo smiles again. "If it is wished, you may call me Eo. As for my information..." She pauses, fingers shifting on the head of her cane.
"As I'm sure you are all aware, the Realm takes the current lack of a Tri-Khan as a serious concern. The recent drugging incident is the first known direct targeting of one of the most-esteemed Dragon Heirs, but there have been multiple incidents of Realm soldiers undergoing various degrees of unwitting intoxication, though largely by hallucinogens.

While concrete proof of the Guild's motives is not yet held, I have determined a general consensus of opinion that the Guild forces and Delzahn could compel the Realm's troops to leave, if they should cooperate on such a task. Thus, a considerable number of the Guild's merchants are making an effort to goad the Realm into initiating direct conflict, presumably that they might cast themselves as innocents and elicit greater sympathy and support from the Delzahn and the general public." She shrugs.
"As I said, I am sure that to many of you, at least some of this information was understood if not obvious. I would, however, rather risk wasting a few minutes of your valuable time than allow the more worrying possibility that withholding my news could lead to this fair city's detriment." Always the porcelain smile beneath the hat's brim; she's even short enough that looking under that hat to see her eyes is a little difficult without being obvious about it.

With the Tri-Khan's death, however, the Realm has become more aggressive in its behavior. This legion of the Realm had been sent ostensibly to keep order, but the longer a Tri-Khan went without appointment the more agitated they became. This is the first time a Terrestrial has been targetted directly, but Realm soldiers have been drugged at different stores for weeks with varying degrees of lethality (mostly just hallucinogenics).

While you find no solid proof of the Guild's motives, the general consensus among those you speak to is that the Dragon-Blood legion could potentially be kicked out of the city if the Delzahn and the Guild's mercenaries work together to drive them out. As a result, many more... independent Guild merchants have taken it upon themselves to provoke the Realm into starting a fight.

Ionbound
2016-07-25, 11:28 AM
Alena smiles, now hugely regretting not ordering tea as she has nothing to toast with, instead opting to salute Aivas out of respect and politeness.

Sith_Happens
2016-07-26, 05:51 AM
As Eo approaches the table, Kalek takes note of the newcomer's distinctive attire. Searching the back of his mind, it takes him only a moment to recall the reports he'd been receiving of a certain newly-popular prostitute known to be running a rather unusual extortion scheme on the side; not normally the sort of person he'd need to pay much attention to, but according to his source she had already attracted the attention of some major players and so he had decided to stay updated on her activities. That she's now decided to interrupt a gathering of some of Chiaroscuro's most important officials means she's either very bold or very foolhardy.

Listening to the woman's story, Kalek mulls the matter over in his head. It certainly fits with what he knows himself of the Guild's recent behavior, and most certainly does not bode well for the overall state of affairs within the city. Of course, a more immediate dilemma stands out to him just as strongly: this "Eo" is in no way the type to divulge such information freely, yet divulge it she has... So what's in this for her? The vizier decides that the best course of action is to ask her directly and carefully dissect her answer.

"If you and your sources speak the truth, then such news is concerning indeed and we thank you for bringing it to our attention. Tell me, is there anything you were expecting in return for this most generous tip?"

Read Intentions with 4m Excellency to determine Eo's current goal for the scene:

[roll0]

Beans
2016-07-26, 06:45 AM
To be safe (given you're rolling 3x more dice than Eo's Guile rating), Eo spends 1m on Shadow Over Day, raising her Guile to 6.
You got 5 successes, so no insight for you this time!

Eo turns to Kalek, tilting her head to give him the first clear look at her eyes he'll have gotten this whole time. Dusky orange, they---and her face---betray nothing.
"Only that something be done about it. When war's bloody fires burn, most esteemed advisor of great men, who is it that inevitably burns first?" She pauses. "The poor, milord. The people at the bottom of the pile, the people living day by day, sliver by sliver of silver. The fires may lick up and up, scorching your robes and singeing your face. But whence comes the smoke that may sting your eyes, the burning stench that may assault your nose? My people, milord---my mothers and fathers, my husbands and wives, my daughters and sons, my brothers and sisters. Use what meager knowledge I offer and bring to heel the red banners of slaughter. Peace is my price."

Sith_Happens
2016-07-26, 12:47 PM
Kalek listens to Eo carefully, weighing her every inflection in his mind. Whether by Fate or coincidence, it is at the moment she finishes that a waiter finally brings him his tea, the cup of which he belatedly raises in toast.

"In that case, allow me to add to my friend's earlier toast. To our two lovely peacekeepers--"

He motions the cup in Tepin's and Alena's directions.

"To Tri-Khan Ceres, may his journey to the Dragons continue onward--"

A calculated choice of euphemism; there is a Dragon-Blood present, after all.

"And to the help of the people in shepherding this great city."

Kalek motions toward Eo before taking the first sip of his beverage. While he still has his suspicions, he mentally concedes the possibility that the oddly-dressed woman may indeed want nothing more than to see her new haunting grounds do well for themselves. Key word "possibility."

While I'm 99% sure that in-character a failed Read Intentions action just means you can tell you haven't gotten a bead on the target, after a speech like that I've decided that Kalek is partially receptive to the idea that in this case absence of evidence just might be evidence of absence.

...Actually, now that I think about it I'm gonna do another Read Intentions, this time asking "Is there any truth in her words," i.e.- Kalek is trying to glean the most relevant Intimacy to what Eo just said. Of course since she does in fact have such an Intimacy that does lend itself towards the answer to the question being "Yes," it might actually be in her best interests to waive her Guile on this one.:smallwink:

[roll0]

EDIT: Yeah, you ain't beating this one.:smalltongue:

Mono Vertigo
2016-07-29, 03:03 PM
Chinoe walks back a few steps, her arms playfully crossed behind her back, in order to avoid having an elbow accidentally shoved into her.
How about following all these fine folks for a bit, after Eo's done with the talking?

HalfTangible
2016-07-29, 03:33 PM
River raised her teacup, smiling at Aivas. "To Ceres Khan. A good man, lost too early."

Eo smiles again. "If it is wished, you may call me Eo. As for my information..." She pauses, fingers shifting on the head of her cane.
"As I'm sure you are all aware, the Realm takes the current lack of a Tri-Khan as a serious concern. The recent drugging incident is the first known direct targeting of one of the most-esteemed Dragon Heirs, but there have been multiple incidents of Realm soldiers undergoing various degrees of unwitting intoxication, though largely by hallucinogens.

While concrete proof of the Guild's motives is not yet held, I have determined a general consensus of opinion that the Guild forces and Delzahn could compel the Realm's troops to leave, if they should cooperate on such a task. Thus, a considerable number of the Guild's merchants are making an effort to goad the Realm into initiating direct conflict, presumably that they might cast themselves as innocents and elicit greater sympathy and support from the Delzahn and the general public." She shrugs.
"As I said, I am sure that to many of you, at least some of this information was understood if not obvious. I would, however, rather risk wasting a few minutes of your valuable time than allow the more worrying possibility that withholding my news could lead to this fair city's detriment." Always the porcelain smile beneath the hat's brim; she's even short enough that looking under that hat to see her eyes is a little difficult without being obvious about it.

River's eyes narrowed as she pondered this news for a moment. She then nodded. "Thank you."

Sith_Happens
2016-07-29, 08:57 PM
"Just so you all know, if we are to discuss this matter further than I'm afraid that this is hardly the place to do so. Too many other ears around. Though perhaps Aivas has more he would like to say to Miss Telpin and Miss Alena first?"

ChaosArchon
2016-08-03, 06:13 PM
Aivas sits silently during the initial rush of discussion, drinking his tea and allowing the others to voice their opinions. As he feels the talking die down he nods,"Thank you Ms. Eo for this information...it's truly a noble gesture. Please, join us and perhaps afterwards we can talk about the information you wanted to tell to me alone. Now I must amend my speech," and raises his teacup,"To Tepin. To Alena. To Eo. To Ceres!"

Beans
2016-08-03, 06:36 PM
Eo smiles, her tea in her hand---was it there the whole time?---as she raises her cup in toast.
"To include my name in your invocation is an honor beyond my meager scale. Any help I can give to the safety and prosperity of the city, I offer up gladly."
She sips, stepping back.
"As for our more private chat, milord Aivas---whenever you should find the time. I need not tag along unless you wish it."
She does, she reminds herself, have no fewer than three people she needs to see. "Perhaps we can arrange for a time of... such privacy as befits this information."

HalfTangible
2016-08-04, 04:21 PM
Eo smiles, her tea in her hand---was it there the whole time?---as she raises her cup in toast.
"To include my name in your invocation is an honor beyond my meager scale. Any help I can give to the safety and prosperity of the city, I offer up gladly."
She sips, stepping back.
"As for our more private chat, milord Aivas---whenever you should find the time. I need not tag along unless you wish it."

"Thank you for this information." River said quietly. "It seems I need to go ask for my apology back."

She does, she reminds herself, have no fewer than three people she needs to see. "Perhaps we can arrange for a time of... such privacy as befits this information."

River's eyes narrowed at her at that. "This space is too public to discuss political matters such as who shall become Tri-Khan. Perhaps we can discuss the matter of Ceres' funeral rites?"

Mono Vertigo
2016-08-05, 05:41 AM
Chinoe nods to herself. An alliance of sorts, then. That's a good development.
No need to borrow any of their belongings, then. Unnecessary risk of alienating them.
What the thief does, instead, is very carefully watch their appearance and mannerisms: Tepin, Kalek, Aivas, River...
It might be necessary to impersonate them later. To tweak their reputation. Or protect them. Or protect everyone else.

Sith_Happens
2016-08-08, 09:31 AM
"Thank you for this information." River said quietly. "It seems I need to go ask for my apology back."

Kalek casually looks Still River dead in the eyes.

"With all due respect, I must ask that you please do no such thing. Causing another altercation like yesterday's will only result in more trouble for you and your men, to say nothing of the potential blow to public order when we've all been working day and night to maintain it. If it reassures you, I'm sure Aivas will back me up when I say that Chiaroscuro continues to take its relationship with the Realm very seriously and any attempts to interfere with such will be dealt with."

Rolling persuade, Charisma + Presence + Stunt + HPM, and let's go ahead and take advantage of that lovely HPM mote discount to get another +3 for 2m:

[roll0]

River's eyes narrowed at her at that. "This space is too public to discuss political matters such as who shall become Tri-Khan. Perhaps we can discuss the matter of Ceres' funeral rites?"

"Of course. The arrangements are already well underway, but if there's anything you have in mind I am sure something can be worked out."

HalfTangible
2016-08-08, 08:34 PM
Kalek casually looks Still River dead in the eyes.

"With all due respect, I must ask that you please do no such thing. Causing another altercation like yesterday's will only result in more trouble for you and your men, to say nothing of the potential blow to public order when we've all been working day and night to maintain it. If it reassures you, I'm sure Aivas will back me up when I say that Chiaroscuro continues to take its relationship with the Realm very seriously and any attempts to interfere with such will be dealt with."

Rolling persuade, Charisma + Presence + Stunt + HPM, and let's go ahead and take advantage of that lovely HPM mote discount to get another +3 for 2m:

[roll0]

"Of course. The arrangements are already well underway, but if there's anything you have in mind I am sure something can be worked out."

River's eyes narrowed for a brief moment, until about halfway through his speech. Something about that had shook her. "... It's an expression." She said quietly, looking away. "But you're right, Kalek. I'm sorry. I just... these are my men."

"Is everything going well?" She placed a finger on the table. "I want to help in any way I can, and if possible say a few words to send him off. Ceres... wasn't my favorite person in the world, but we got along, for the most part."

I don't remember if I ever said how long we've got to the funeral. Let's say... five or six days?

Sith_Happens
2016-08-10, 11:18 AM
"Aivas and I discussed the matter with Ceres' family some time ago and we decided on a large but traditional ceremony, in emulation of that of the first Tri-Khan. Needless to say the arrangements have been keeping me quite busy. As for your request I would be honored for you to speak on his behalf, though I have been vetting all such speeches in advance so I recommend you get yours to me sooner rather than later."

Kalek gives Still River a friendly smile before taking a sip of his tea.

Ceres did have a family, yes? Though obviously not much in the way of children or else the current political situation would be either much more or much less stable.

ChaosArchon
2016-08-10, 05:36 PM
Aivas nods,"Yes it should be in five days...wow it used to be two weeks until his funeral...," Aivas quiets down and almost looks as if he's physically smaller now. He remains so for a minute before his mood appears to lift,"Anyway yes, I'm sure it would do the city some good for a Dragon to speak at his funeral. Perhaps we could even have Silk say a few words, as a show of solidarity and stave off any unpleasantness. Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the tea, it's on me. I have other matters I must attend to." He then leaves (money? what currency are we using? jade scrip?) on the table and marches off but not before giving Eo a meaningful look.

Beans
2016-08-11, 07:40 AM
Eo bows as he leaves, then bows again to the others. "And I must also make my exit. Good day to you all, and ten thousand blessings."
She... is she actually giving Tepin a wink? Unfortunately, yes. It is so dumb. Eo is trash.

She glides for the door a little after Aivas leaves.

Sith_Happens
2016-08-11, 11:08 AM
As soon as Eo is out of the building, Kalek gently taps on the table in a specific short pattern, indicating to the demon hovering invisibly nearby that he has instructions for it and to listen closely. He speaks softly, though not so softly that the others at the same table can't hear him.

"Agata, tail this 'Eo' for the remainder of the day and through the night, then return to me at dawn tomorrow to report on her activities. Stay ephemeral at all times and do nothing that might give away your presence. If you have strong reason to believe she has somehow noticed you regardless, return to me immediately and notify me of such. If she attacks Aivas or presents any other obvious, immediate threat to him while he is in her presence, return to me immediately and notify me of such. Begin now."

Kalek takes another sip of tea before addressing the remaining guests.

"Sorry about that, one can't be too careful given the current climate. Anyways, I think it about time that we move to one of the meeting rooms in the palace. Miss Tepin and Miss Alena, you may accompany us there; if Aivas has extended you his trust then so will I, and it may be we decide that we have use of your skills."

The vizier quickly finishes his tea, then stands from his chair and waits for the others to do the same before leading the way.

Kell_tamer
2016-08-16, 09:40 PM
Tepin shuffles awkwardly in her seat a moment before getting up. "It was a pleasure to meet all of you..."

She shuffles off.

Ionbound
2016-08-16, 09:46 PM
Alena nods and smiles awkwardly as she stands up, lacking tea to finish, and says, "Of course. There are some things that I'd like to speak with Aivas about, and they're...Likely more private matters than should be talked about in a place like this." She subtly winks at Aivas as she follows Kalek.

Sith_Happens
2016-08-17, 09:05 PM
The Palace

Just as promised, Kalek eventually leads the three women into the palace, and specifically to a medium-sized chamber therein that more closely resembles an opulently-decorated lounge than a meeting room. Positioned at its center is a long, low table meant for the serving of refreshments, surrounded by all manner of poshly-cushioned chairs and sofas. Kalek immediately seats himself at the head of the table, waiting for his companions to sit down as well and for a servant to close the doors before he speaks.

"Anyways, now that we're here I believe the first order of business is what to do regarding the Guild's alleged machinations as described to us at the teahouse. Still River, your thoughts? You are the target, after all."

HalfTangible
2016-08-19, 08:33 PM
Still River was quiet as her name for a few moments as she considered, steepling her fingers.

"... I do not wish to start a brawl in the city's streets, for many reasons." She glanced at Kalek. "But as the others here can attest, my hold on my troops is not absolute. Some live here as I do, others come from across the seas. And most do not trust me, even with my rank.*"

"I know that Chiaroscuro's dealings with the guild have been... amicable, if not entirely without caution. Ceres was a brilliant political man." She frowned. "But they do not deal well with the Realm. If they are not only willing but able to poison the dragon's chosen I have no doubt whatsoever that they will try again."

"And if Silk is anyone to judge by, they'll not be cautious or subtle next time."

*Roll lore, in particular on the Realm.

Beans
2016-08-20, 10:23 AM
Eo finds a spot to await should Aivas want to talk to her immediately. In the meantime, she starts juggling her options as to which potential criminal ally she should meet with first.

Mono Vertigo
2016-08-23, 05:45 AM
Somewhere in Eo's shadow, appears an extra unseen presence, nonchalantly whistling louder as she stops evading awareness.
"That was really good tea back there. Gotta go back sometime. What's your plan, boss?"

Sith_Happens
2016-08-29, 01:06 PM
The Palace

"'Poison' with harmless hallucinogens, I feel that bears reminding. Anyways, as I said earlier it would be unwise to risk escalating the situation, so here are my thoughts: I will ask Aivas to step up policing in key areas and make sure that any threats to public order are cracked down upon as visibly as possible, which should send the implicit message to the Guild that any overt action against the Realm will be opposed by the city. Given how cautiously they're accustomed to operating here in Chiaroscuro I am quite certain they'll get the message. In the meantime, should any of their covert actions intensify beyond the merely embarrassing I respectfully ask that you bring the matter to our attention and let us deal with it. It's important that you keep your own hands clean, after all."

Kalek pauses briefly in thought.

"...Oh, and I suppose if it will help your own position then feel free to claim this was all your idea and regale your troops with an account of how you browbeat us into cooperating. Is that acceptable?"

No roll because IMO this suggestion is basically just elaborating upon Kalek's previous persuasion that already succeeded.

HalfTangible
2016-08-29, 01:29 PM
The Palace

"'Poison' with harmless hallucinogens, I feel that bears reminding. Anyways, as I said earlier it would be unwise to risk escalating the situation, so here are my thoughts: I will ask Aivas to step up policing in key areas and make sure that any threats to public order are cracked down upon as visibly as possible, which should send the implicit message to the Guild that any overt action against the Realm will be opposed by the city. Given how cautiously they're accustomed to operating here in Chiaroscuro I am quite certain they'll get the message. In the meantime, should any of their covert actions intensify beyond the merely embarrassing I respectfully ask that you bring the matter to our attention and let us deal with it. It's important that you keep your own hands clean, after all."

Kalek pauses briefly in thought.

"...Oh, and I suppose if it will help your own position then feel free to claim this was all your idea and regale your troops with an account of how you browbeat us into cooperating. Is that acceptable?"

The vizier then shifts to address his other two guests.

"Miss Tepin, Miss Alena, any thoughts to add? You have already defended the peace of Chiaroscuro once, so I wonder if you might be willing to continue doing so. If you require compensation then that can be arranged."

No roll against Still River because IMO this suggestion is basically just elaborating upon Kalek's previous persuasion that already succeeded.

"'Harmless' hallucinogens that have not worn off a day afterward in the blood of those chosen by the dragons; I doubt that simply rendering one of us bedridden was their intended goal." She pointed out, raising an eyebrow. "I don't boast to my troops. Let them think what they will of me. But thank you Kalek, I can accept that."

Beans
2016-08-29, 01:40 PM
Somewhere in Eo's shadow, appears an extra unseen presence, nonchalantly whistling louder as she stops evading awareness.
"That was really good tea back there. Gotta go back sometime. What's your plan, boss?"

Eo smiles as she glides along. "I have someone to meet---Mr. Mask, or at least his representative, as the latter contacted me earlier. I'd like to see what the seemingly-inscrutable assassin wants. I hope you'll come along, of course."

Sith_Happens
2016-08-29, 01:44 PM
The Palace

"No need to thank me, just doing my job. Your comment on the strength of the drugs used so far has been noted."

Kalek then shifts to address his other two guests.

"Miss Tepin, Miss Alena, any thoughts? You have already defended the peace of Chiaroscuro once, so I wonder if you might be willing to continue doing so. If you require compensation then that can be arranged."

ChaosArchon
2016-08-29, 03:36 PM
Aivas strides into alleyway where Eo was waiting for him, his buff jacket swaying slightly as he walks. He then looks at Eo imploringly,"So, what information did you have that couldn't be said in public Miss Eo?"

Ionbound
2016-09-01, 10:34 AM
Alena had been sitting quietly, listening to the discussion of dragons being poisoned with a concerned expression, but nods to Kalek when he offers employment and says, "I would be happy to." She pauses for a moment, then swallows, struggling to keep emotion out of her voice as she says, "T-thank you for taking this lost wanderer in. I promise you, I will defend Chairoscuro with my life."

Sith_Happens
2016-09-06, 11:02 AM
Sorry for the delay, was waiting for Kell_tamer to post something first but he told me via PM that Tepin will need more prodding before she says anything.
Kalek turns a curious eye towards Alena and quickly takes her measure.

"Well, that is certainly more than I could have hoped for. I take it from your bearing and your weapon that you're a soldier by training? I'll discuss with Aivas where he thinks you're most needed, come to my office this time tomorrow and I'll have a fairly standard mercenary contract waiting for you."

Kalek's gaze then shifts to examine the priestess.

"Miss Tepin, anything to say? From your garb I assume you've come to Chiaroscuro for religious purposes, yes?"

Profiling Alena and Tepin since it's been more than long enough that I can:

Vs. Alena: [roll0] Yup

Vs. Tepin: [roll1] Nope

Kell_tamer
2016-09-06, 12:05 PM
Tepin had been lost a bit in thought and the addressing caught her attention suddenly. "Oh. Yes. I am here as a priest of the sun. My people still worship him and wish to spread the teachings."

She blushes. "I am terribly sorry. I didn't mean to come off as aloof. When a lot like this happens I tend to get a little lost in thoughts over it."

She gives a polite bow. "One of his teachings is to help defend those who need defending, while also striving for peace. It would be remiss of me not to help." Her face comes back up with a warm genuine smile.

Sith_Happens
2016-09-06, 01:39 PM
Kalek bows his head back.

"Oh no, my apologies for pressing you to speak before you were ready. Anyways, I appreciate any aid you can provide and will leave you to your own devices to render it. At the very least your presence will certainly be interesting, sun-worshippers are quite rare these days after all. Though should any light-skinned monks bother you about following established festival days I do have to ask that you try your best to not make a scene."

The vizier directs a deferential nod towards Still River.

I suppose this is probably a good time to elaborate a bit on Kalek's attitude toward the Immaculate Philosophy, given how long Still River has presumably had to learn of it: though skeptical at best of its theological claims in general and of Dragon-Blooded spiritual primacy in particular, he's quite able to appreciate its teachings as a tool of social order. In particular he's actually quite the fan of the Immaculate Calendar and is well-known to follow it himself as a matter of personal preference, though he's also not averse to the occasional private prayer when it suits him.

Kell_tamer
2016-09-06, 03:54 PM
Tepin gives a polite bow. She really liked doing that it seemed, or she may just be nervous in a new area. "I appreciate that advice, and will do my best to not disrupt the beliefs of anyone here." The girl was idealistic. Probably a bit naive as well. Though she didn't exactly seem helpless... she was not some waif of a priest, her limbs indicated someone used to physical activity. Hopefully she wouldn't have to exercise any of said physical activity.

Beans
2016-09-06, 05:12 PM
Aivas strides into alleyway where Eo was waiting for him, his buff jacket swaying slightly as he walks. He then looks at Eo imploringly,"So, what information did you have that couldn't be said in public Miss Eo?"

Eo turns to see him. "Such things concern Still River. If you have a place of security where I could relate this information, I would happily enlighten you."

Ionbound
2016-09-06, 10:50 PM
Alena nods to Kalek and says, "I suppose you could say that I'm a guard without a city. Hopefully I'll find redemption for my failure here."

Sith_Happens
2016-09-08, 10:53 AM
Kalek looks quizzically at Alena.

"And what failure would that be? It's hardly reasonable to fault yourself for not personally defeating a miles-tall behemoth and an army of Anathema; that was simply a matter of basic human limitations. You did what you could, lived to tell the tale, and found a new city to defend. There's no shame in that."

Rolling to instill that because I can (:smalltongue:). 11-13 dice depending on whether this meeting is "formal" enough that I can use Socialize:

[roll0]

If Socialize is a go: +[roll1]
If that works then I'm not picky on how you phrase the Minor Principle, though it should be something along the lines of "I did what I could for Thorns and should be proud of that."

I'm helping!:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Retracting that roll because the way I've been imagining this bit of dialogue Kalek isn't deliberately trying to convince Alena of anything so much as he's just casually opining on the matter.

Mono Vertigo
2016-09-16, 03:25 PM
Eo turns to see him. "Such things concern Still River. If you have a place of security where I could relate this information, I would happily enlighten you."

Chinoe cleans up her nails with a knife, pulling out her tongue with the intense air of someone trying to decipher First Age hieroglyphs before the trapped walls finish closing up.
"Don't mind me, I'm the boss' right hand", replies the bespectacled thief, pointing briefly at Eo with her improvised tool before resuming the manicure, "If my presence bothers you I'll just, y'know, disappear. Finding some soap to borrow, probably."
There are better ways to make a decent first impression, depending on what you want that impression to be.

HalfTangible
2016-11-09, 07:21 PM
Kalek bows his head back.

"Oh no, my apologies for pressing you to speak before you were ready. Anyways, I appreciate any aid you can provide and will leave you to your own devices to render it. At the very least your presence will certainly be interesting, sun-worshippers are quite rare these days after all. Though should any light-skinned monks bother you about following established festival days I do have to ask that you try your best to not make a scene."

The vizier directs a deferential nod towards Still River.

I suppose this is probably a good time to elaborate a bit on Kalek's attitude toward the Immaculate Philosophy, given how long Still River has presumably had to learn of it: though skeptical at best of its theological claims in general and of Dragon-Blooded spiritual primacy in particular, he's quite able to appreciate its teachings as a tool of social order. In particular he's actually quite the fan of the Immaculate Calendar and is well-known to follow it himself as a matter of personal preference, though he's also not averse to the occasional private prayer when it suits him.River frowned. "... Indeed."

As far as Kalek was aware, Still River was a believer in the Immaculate Philosophy, but not a zealous one. She'd never been caught doing anything particularly abhorrent and more than once had told off an Immaculate being foolish. She did, however, encourage its adoption.

Tepin gives a polite bow. She really liked doing that it seemed, or she may just be nervous in a new area. "I appreciate that advice, and will do my best to not disrupt the beliefs of anyone here." The girl was idealistic. Probably a bit naive as well. Though she didn't exactly seem helpless... she was not some waif of a priest, her limbs indicated someone used to physical activity. Hopefully she wouldn't have to exercise any of said physical activity.

"Just... avoid the immaculate temples. It's safer that way."

Kalek looks quizzically at Alena.

"And what failure would that be? It's hardly reasonable to fault yourself for not personally defeating a miles-tall behemoth and an army of Anathema; that was simply a matter of basic human limitations. You did what you could, lived to tell the tale, and found a new city to defend. There's no shame in that."

Rolling to instill that because I can (:smalltongue:). 11-13 dice depending on whether this meeting is "formal" enough that I can use Socialize:

[roll0]

If Socialize is a go: +[roll1]
If that works then I'm not picky on how you phrase the Minor Principle, though it should be something along the lines of "I did what I could for Thorns and should be proud of that."

I'm helping!:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Retracting that roll because the way I've been imagining this bit of dialogue Kalek isn't deliberately trying to convince Alena of anything so much as he's just casually opining on the matter.

River nodded. "Defeat is a bitter pill to swallow, but one we all must take; there was nothing you could have done."

Sith_Happens
2016-11-10, 06:39 PM
Kalek stays silent for some amount of time, waiting for any more responses from others. Hearing none, he speaks up himself.

"Well then, are there other matters that any of the three of you hoped to discuss or shall we adjourn?"

Ionbound
2016-11-10, 10:42 PM
Alena smiles slightly and says, "Thank you both. It just...Is hard to overcome." She shakes her head, dispelling the thoughts as she says, "In any event, other than that...I don't believe so."