PDA

View Full Version : What kind of character would be best?

Mrsixeriq
2016-06-16, 10:39 PM
I'm about to play a campaign with a group of people and I'm wondering what class I should play. The group has a Wizard, Barbarian, Druid, Bard, Fighter, and War Cleric. What would you guys suggest?

DivisibleByZero
2016-06-16, 10:52 PM
I suggest creating a concept for a character, not a class build.
Who is this person (not: what does this person do in fights)?
Create a character and run with it. Build from the ground up. You'll have much more fun that way.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-16, 10:55 PM
I'm about to play a campaign with a group of people and I'm wondering what class I should play. The group has a Wizard, Barbarian, Druid, Bard, Fighter, and War Cleric. What would you guys suggest?

Variant Human Urchin Shadow Monk (Feat: Magic Initiate Druid for Posoin Spray, Frostbite, and Fog Cloud).

You are now a ninja, a crafty sneaky ninja.

Edit: Replace poison spray or frostbite (my suggestion poison spray) for Magic Stone so you can have shurikens.

Hooligan
2016-06-16, 11:13 PM

I should take a Divisible's advice & create a character concept that is fun and appealing to you; use their background & personality to suggest a class. Mechanically your party is flush as it is. You can never go wrong in creating something that you think will be fun & will hold your interest.

Temperjoke
2016-06-16, 11:16 PM
I'd say rogue if it's an urban campaign, ranger if it's more of a wilderness campaign, with both built for scouting in their respective areas. Alternatively, you could also go as a Life Cleric and act as a more dedicated healer, since that many people can use one. What sort of game is it? Do they mostly focus on combat, or is there a balance of roleplay as well? If they have a mix of things, you might want to think about your character's personality, who they are and what they want, that will go a long way with integrating with the group.

TheProfessor85
2016-06-16, 11:26 PM
I'd recommend a Rogue of sorts. Perhaps Arcane trickster leaving the wizard to pewpew more, or Swashbuckler depending on if the Fighter goes Archer. Or you can go Mystic from the UA and bring psionics to the table.

bid
2016-06-16, 11:43 PM
Everything is covered:
- Int (wizard)
- Wis (cleric / druid)
- Cha (bard)
- expertise (bard)
- melee (barbarian / druid / fighter)
- healing (bard / cleric / druid)

You just need to bring your own fun.

Assuming the druid is moon and fighter is melee, I would pick a ranged character:
- ranger/hunter (if you like nature)
- rogue with crossbow expertise (for a second attack and more expertise)
- warlock/chainlock (for scouting)

But don't let that stop you from going monk or paladin if that feel better to you.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-17, 12:31 AM
Another suggestion.

V Human Life Cleric

Str: 16
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 12
Cha: 10

Background: Anything, pick up athletics via human.
Feat: Shield Master

Tactics: Shield Master and weapon attack, help action, and the bless spell.

If you think you can't prone a target, just Use the help action.

Focus on putting your allies in the best possible situation.

Bump Str and Con.

Thanks to your cleric features you will heal just as well as another cleric. 2 + Spell level bonus healing essentially takes the place of a high modifier.

TheFlyingCleric
2016-06-17, 03:57 AM
As said by others, that group already covers things quite well.

So basically I just have two suggestions;
- Think about what you wan't to be doing during the adventures (both in combat and out of combat), and pick a class accordingly.
- Try not to do the same 'thing' as another player (i.e. avoid stepping on another player's toes). For example, two wizards in a party is perfectly fine because there are many different subclasses of wizard... but picking the same subclass will probably not be as fun.

Herobizkit
2016-06-17, 04:51 AM
Variant Human Urchin Shadow Monk (Feat: Magic Initiate Druid for Poison Spray, Frostbite, and Fog Cloud).

You are now a ninja, a crafty sneaky ninja.

Edit: Replace poison spray or frostbite (my suggestion poison spray) for Magic Stone so you can have shurikens.I second all of this.

Optionally, go Half-Elf Dex/Int Rogue and be the Skill Monkey; Rogues get 4 skills, your background gets 2, and Half-Elf gives you 2 more.

You *could* also go Grappler Rogue (by taking Proficiency and Expertise in Athletics); basic strategy is to grab a guy, use your action to Shove him prone, then either drag him off, or towards your pals, and/or stab him with free Advantage. It's very mechanically involved and might not be your cup o'tea; here's a guide (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468737-The-Grappler-s-Manual-(2-0)-Grappling-in-5th-Edition) if you're interested.

Specter
2016-06-17, 05:55 AM
As others said, focus on non-Charisma skills; the group seems starved in that department. If going rogue, expertising Thieves' Tools might be a good idea.

Plaguescarred
2016-06-17, 06:24 AM
A rogue would be a good fit IMO

Reynaert
2016-06-17, 06:41 AM
Every base (arche)type seems to be covered (except rogue) so that leads to the question: What kind of wizard, what kind of cleric, etc. ?

Fumble Jack
2016-06-17, 07:01 AM
As others said, focus on non-Charisma skills; the group seems starved in that department. If going rogue, expertising Thieves' Tools might be a good idea.

I would 2nd this, though we would need a little more info on what archetypes your party went with. Also if it hasn't been thrown in, maybe Mastermind Rogue from SCAG

Herobizkit
2016-06-17, 08:42 AM
Also if it hasn't been thrown in, maybe Mastermind Rogue from SCAGOh for pete's sake, YES. A Mastermind is the perfect addition to such a large group.

"I love it when a plan comes together!"

Also, "We provide... leverage."

R.Shackleford
2016-06-17, 09:12 AM
Oh for pete's sake, YES. A Mastermind is the perfect addition to such a large group.

"I love it when a plan comes together!"

Also, "We provide... leverage."

My favorite Mastermind

V Human (moderately armored, +1 Str) Mastermind Rogue Sage

Str 14
Dex 14
Con: 14
Int: 14
Wis: 13
Cha: 8

AC 18 medium armored + shield
Athletics (6), Stealth (4) disadvantage when in medium armor for now, Arcana (4), History (4), Investigation (6), Religion (4), and Perception (3)

You will use your knowledge to help allies with their skill checks.

Action: Expertise (Shove Prone)
Bonus Acrion: Help

At level 4 you take resilence Wis if you aren't reaching high levels. Or you could pick up Observant, which I do suggest, and have a grand old time with +5 passive perception and investigation.

You really never need to raise your ability scores with this build. If you ever do want to do damage you can raise your strength to 18 and leave it there. Most of your damage comes from sneak attack.

IM DIRTY DAN
2016-06-17, 09:30 AM
Your party pretty much has all the major things you could need covered, so I would do something weird, wacky, and fun. Personally my personal favorite build that isn't the best mechanically is a Goliath Monk, have a scholar background, weirdly high INT and WIS (for a Goliath), dump CON because you have a natural +2 in it, and focus on STR for a STR monk, with all of that I've found you can do a refreshing take on both the Goliath and the Monk