PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Uluu Thalongh: Warlock Patron? In the right forum this time, and everything!

Seekergeek
2016-06-16, 11:38 PM
So I didn't want to hijack the thread which inspired me, but I have a game starting up in a week or two and have just been reminded about the existence of Uluu Thalongh (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Uluu_Thalongh) and have fallen head over heels with the idea of using this force as a homebrew warlock patron. How would you, the Giants, put this together? To me, Uluu Thalongh seems like a patron as concerned with control and manipulation as it is with death and destruction so I've tried to essentially strike a balance between what the fiend brings to the table and what the GOO offers without stepping on either patron's toes.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Alternate Familiar Options:
Twig Blight (yeah...it sucks, but seems to fit thematically)

Expanded Spells:
1st - Entangle, Sleep
2nd - Beast Sense, Detect Thoughts
3rd - Fear, Speak With Plants
4th - Everards Black Tentacles, Grasping Vine
5th - Awaken, Tree Stride

1st level: Feasting Vines - slightly modified Ensnaring Strike
At first level, when you strike a creature with a spell or weapon attack spell attack or a weapon attack, you can cause a writhing mass of vines ending in vicious toothy maws to appear at the point of impact, and the target must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be restrained by the magical vines until the end of your next turn. While restrained by the vines, the target takes piercing damage equal to your charisma modifier + you warlock level at the start of each of its turns as the eyeless jaws snap and tear into them. A creature restrained by the vines or one that can touch the creature can use an action to make a strength check against your spell save DC. On a success, the target is freed. Once you use this feature you cannot use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

6th level: Create Husk - slightly modified Animate Dead
At sixth level, as an action, you touch a small or medium creature you have killed within the last minute. Your patron imbues the target with a foul mimicry of life, raising it as an undead creature using the Zombie statistics from the Monster Manual.
On each of your turns, you can use a bonus action to mentally command the Husk if it is within 60 feet of you. You decide what action the creature will take and where it will move during its next turn, or you can issue a general command, such as to guard a particular spot. If you issue no commands, the creature only defends itself against hostile creatures. Once given an order, the creature continues to follow it until its task is complete.
The magic animating your husk expires after an hour. Once you use this feature you cannot use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

10th level: Terror Song - slightly modified Fear
At 10th level, you can spend an action to cause a tuneless droning to emanate from you in a 20 foot radius. Any hostile creature that can hear you within the area must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC or drop whatever it is holding and be frightened of you until end of your next turn. While frightened, a creature must take the Dash action and move away from you by the safest available route.
Once you use this feature you cannot use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

14th level: Blightstep - slightly modified Tree Stride/Polymorph combo
At 14th level, you gain the ability to enter a tree and move from inside it to inside another tree of the same kind within 500 feet. Both Trees must be living and at least the same size as you. You must use 5 feet of movement to enter a tree. You instantly know the location of all other trees of the same kind within 500 feet and, as part of the move used to enter the tree, can either pass into one of those trees or step out of the tree you’re in. If you have no movement left, you appear within 5 feet of the tree you entered.
Once per short or long rest, when you step within a tree, you can take the form of a Treant for up to one hour following the polymorph rules.

Final Hyena
2016-06-17, 06:38 AM
1st level: Feasting Vines - slightly modified Ensnaring Strike
At first level, when you strike a creature with a spell or weapon attack
This could be read that it works on spell attacks or on a creature affected by any spell.

Seekergeek
2016-06-17, 10:02 AM
This could be read that it works on spell attacks or on a creature affected by any spell.

Noted! Not the most scathing critique, either! Hooray for seeker?

Seekergeek
2016-06-20, 11:48 AM
Not a bump simply for bump's sake, but I thought Create Husk felt a little limp in whiteroom testing. I've tweaked it a bit and now I'm not sure if it is too much. I buffed the husk and changed it's recharge to long rest.

6th level: Create Husk -
At sixth level, as an action, you touch a small or medium creature you have killed within the last minute. Your patron imbues the target with a foul mimicry of life, raising it as an undead creature using the Zombie statistics from the Monster Manual. The Husk’s hitpoints are equal to its hitpoint maximum, or four times your Warlock level, whichever is higher. The husk adds your proficiency bonus to its AC, attack rolls, and damage rolls, as well as to any saving throws it must make.
On each of your turns, you can use a bonus action to mentally command the husk if it is within 60 feet of you. You decide what action the creature will take and where it will move during its next turn, or you can issue a general command, such as to guard a particular spot. If you issue no commands, the creature only defends itself against hostile creatures. Once given an order, the creature continues to follow it until its task is complete.
The magic animating your husk expires after an hour. Once you use this feature you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest.

Final Hyena
2016-06-20, 12:52 PM
Seems reasonable enough, although perhaps having its HP always be your warlock level x4 as creatures tend to have big pools of hp.