PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Another Drunk Monk

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-17, 12:27 AM
I know there's been a few homebrew "drunken master" monks online but I wanted to provide my own take on it. Let me know what you think.

WAY OF THE DRUNKEN MASTER
Less a monastic tradition and more a fighting style that is as obscure as it is disreputable among other monks, the Way of the Drunken Master follows the secrets of an ancient manuscript that unlocked the ki-enhancing power of alcohol. Monks of this discipline must imbibe alcohol, typically ale or wine, to facilitate a fighting style that makes them difficult to hit and harm, as well as makes them more ferocious in combat.

DRUNKEN ELUSIVENESS
When you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you learn to move your body with fluidic grace in combat as a result of drinking alcohol, an attacking opponent has difficulty hitting you when it can’t predict in what strange way your body will lurch and sway.
Take a bonus action to drink a mug of ale or a pitcher/bottle of wine, and you will enter a “drunken state”. During this drunken state:
• You add +2 to your AC when not wearing armor or not wielding a shield.
• You can execute any drunken state ability that you gain from this tradition.
The drunken state ends after 1 minute or if you fall to 0 hit points. The number of times you can enter a drunken state equals your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus, this replenishes after taking a long rest.

DRUNKEN RAGE
At 6th level, you gain the ability to enter a drunken rage, increasing the damage you inflict with your unarmed strikes. While in a drunken state, as a bonus action you can spend 2 ki points to increase the damage of your unarmed strikes by +2 until the end of your drunken state. This damage increases to +3 at 11th level, and +4 at 17th level.

DRUNKEN ENDURANCE
At 11th level, your drunken state makes you more impervious to attacks, able to shrug off damage as if you didn’t even notice it. While in a drunken state and not wearing armor or wielding a shield, all damage that you take except psychic damage is reduced by 3.

DRUNKEN FISTS OF FURY
At 17th level, you have learned to channel your drunken ki into a furious whirlwind of attacks, turning yourself into a deadly tornado of fists and feet. While in a drunken state, take an action and spend 3 ki points. You may attack six times with your unarmed strikes during this attack action.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-23, 11:29 AM
No thoughts??? :frown:

Final Hyena
2016-06-23, 12:05 PM
I can't see any massive balance issues, however none of the abilities excite me. More AC, Damage, Damage Threshold and attacks.
I'm not sure what to suggest to help that though :/ maybe some sort of extremely smashed state which gives further bonuses, but drawbacks?

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-23, 02:42 PM
I can't see any massive balance issues, however none of the abilities excite me. More AC, Damage, Damage Threshold and attacks.
I'm not sure what to suggest to help that though :/ maybe some sort of extremely smashed state which gives further bonuses, but drawbacks?

The concept behind the subclass is really just to make a gnarlier martial arts fighter out of the monk with more damage and defense. Meant for those that love the concept of drunken kung fu and want to role play that.