PDA

View Full Version : How hard can a Dracolich be?

VertDeLion
2016-06-17, 05:31 AM
So, right at the start of the campaign, I was rolling two characters, one of which I asked the DM if she could carry an Andross Replica as a shield (It's a regular shield, but in appearance, it looks like an elven artifact shield, one of the Prothi artifacts). He agreed.
Fast forward to level 12, my friend and I stumble across a massive dracolich in the Shadowfell. As we were exchanging information, I learned that the dracolich was in possession of the head of the Epoch Lance, one of the other Prothi artifacts. In fact, it was the legendary artifact my character in the old Fate campaign we played previously used to defeat a tyrant leader and lead the drow to a new age.
Now, I wanted that spearhead. My monk has been wielding the broken shaft of the spear as a staff for a while now (Staff of Moment's Notice), So I offered the dracolich an exchange: a demon coin and the Andross Replica (I called it the Shield of Andross) for the spearhead. The DM made me do a charisma (persuasion) check, which i had a -1 on, but I managed a natural 20. With the exchange completed, we ran out of the temple, and managed to portal out of the Shadowfell before the dracolich/DM realized I just cheated him.

TL;DR, I probably have a pissed off dracolich to deal with at some point. As a 12'th level monk, blood hunter, and sorcerer, how screwed are we?
There are others in our party too (Paladin, Cleric, Rogue, Druid) but they are off doing god knows what. I think our rogue said something about stealing panties.

VertDeLion
2016-06-17, 05:33 AM
I was laughing when this happened actually because it was akin to what I just read about with the Health and Safety Druid. If you haven't read that, please do.

JackPhoenix
2016-06-17, 07:07 AM
Hard to say, Dracolich is a template applied to adult or ancient dragon, so lot of that depends what kind of dragon and how old it is. It could be anywhere between CR 13 (likely 14 to account for the immunities) for adult white or brass and CR 24 (25) for ancient red or gold.

Taejang
2016-06-17, 08:37 AM
Just keep the teleport handy and it won't matter how hard the dracolich is. Avoid it for a few levels and all's well that ends in a massive chunk of experience and a boatload of extra loot.

Chaosvii7
2016-06-17, 08:56 AM
Hard to say, Dracolich is a template applied to adult or ancient dragon, so lot of that depends what kind of dragon and how old it is. It could be anywhere between CR 13 (likely 14 to account for the immunities) for adult white or brass and CR 24 (25) for ancient red or gold.

This doesn't even take into consideration the possibility of it being an innate spellcasting Dragon. It'd only get 4-6 spells, but if it's lasted long enough to become a Dracolich chances are it chose what spells it studied well.