PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Looking for a very specific item

Seppo87
2016-06-17, 05:33 AM
Basically an object that always comes in pair (call them A and B), where A is used to scry on B, but not vice-versa.
Might be permanent or trigger on a command word spoken by B (not by A!).
When functioning, A will be informed of B's location, and have a brief vision of the context (i.e. B is being attacked and needs help)

Owner of B does not need to know how it works - the object works regardless as long as you keep B in your possession. This is very important as this object is also meant for spying purposes.
If there is a command word, it is enough to activate the item.

The lesser the cost the better, so it would really be fine 1/day or even 1/week, or even discharged after 10 uses - as I'd like to mass-produce them. Quantity > durability

Naturally, the arcane link can be used to track A back from B by a powerful enough caster, with all the associated risks.
Furthermore, if the owner of B is protected from scrying/divinations, the item stops working unless activated willingly

----

Closest I found was: "Stone, Missive"
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/stone-missive

Unfortunately it doesn't actually work as required, and the cost is too much for casually giving it to unaware people.

I will definitely speak with my GM to find a solution if no official ones happen to be available;
However, if you know any, it would be very helpful to know. So thank you in advance :smallsmile:

(btw, if you were a GM, how much wuold you charge for this?)

Florian
2016-06-17, 05:43 AM
It will depend a bit on what exact spell effect you want to achieve.
An "item set" is always just one regular item when it comes to the item creation rules, unless you want to have one or the other item to have additional powers.

What you describe is a regular Wondrous Item that can use Scrying either at will or a number of times per day, even when described as two different items, say coins.

Seppo87
2016-06-17, 06:27 AM
It will depend a bit on what exact spell effect you want to achieve
-Scrying:
Limitless Range: Good
Information Provided: Way too much
Will Save: This is bad. It will not work.

-Locate Object:
Information Provided: Basically all I really need, knowing some more (a brief vision, really) would be ideal
No Will Save: Excellent
Range: Too short! It will not work.

It does not exist I'm afraid...?

Florian
2016-06-17, 06:53 AM
No. What exists is a coin that can be the focus of other divination spells and make it easier to for using them.

Arc_knight25
2016-06-17, 07:45 AM
For scrying, if you have a piece of the target (hair, finger nail, amutated foot) then they get a -10 to thew will save.

If you know them well that is another -5. Total of -15 to their will save. With down time, you can really max out the D/C for Scrying with Heighten Spell.

All it costs you is a mirror worth 1000gp and you can cast it on your target once per day.

Seppo87
2016-06-17, 07:48 AM
For scrying, if you have a piece of the target (hair, finger nail, amutated foot) then they get a -10 to thew will save.

If you know them well that is another -5. Total of -15 to their will save. With down time, you can really max out the D/C for Scrying with Heighten Spell.

All it costs you is a mirror worth 1000gp and you can cast it on your target once per day.

Problem is, my character is not a caster

duboisjf
2016-06-17, 08:00 AM
Maybe this

spy eyes (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/spy-eyes)

Only 10 miles and it will not give you location.

Maybe adding a capacity, using Guiding star (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/guiding-star) as requirement could allow the item to give you direction and distance from you.

Edit : Costly !