PDA

View Full Version : Are spellcasters using only one Element viable?

NiklasWB
2016-06-17, 07:09 AM
Hi playground.

I was just wondering I anyone has had any experience with a spellcaster that is focused solely on one specific element, and if so, if you felt that that build was viable.

For example, the all-out fire-based wizard or sorcerer seems like a classic archetype, but I’m wondering if such a character would be too limited or if they would still function well.

I have previously been thinking about making a water themed druid and pick mostly water-based spells. I might throw some things like Frostbite (to have a damage cantrip… 'Hypothermia' instead of actual ice), Fairy Fire (the reflection of light on a watery surface) and Misty Step (turn into mist/vapor and move) and other spells into the mix things that may be fluffed to be semi water related, but mostly I will be picking things like Tidalwave, Tsunami, Maelstrom etc. Would this be viable or am I crippling myself by taking only one type of spell?

Also, would you guys rule that it would be allowed to make cold damage an effect of most water based attacks instead of bludgeoning so that such a character could better benefit from taking the Elemental Adept feat? It seems thematically appropriate that a creature that is vulnerable to cold is also vulnerable to water. However, not sure if this would be too powerful against some enemies that have resistance to the normal slashing/piercing/bludgeoning types. The four classical elements (other than fire) seems to have been screwed out of using that feat, while lightning, acid, thunder, and cold (which aren't even really elements), benefit from the feat...

smcmike
2016-06-17, 07:17 AM
Talk to your DM - it largely depends on how much refluffing you are willing to do, and DM buy-in on that refluffing is helpful. And, of course, if you are making a rock/paper/scissors sort of character, you need to trust that you won't get screwed by immunities and such.

If you are looking to refluff things, though, the list of spells that can work is actually pretty huge, from what I recall, particularly for an Elsa-style ice mage.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-06-17, 07:20 AM
I'd actually keep the blunt damage, for those few times you run into things with cold immunity. Make sure you pick up the usual few general purpose spells and yeah, you're good. Especially if you use Dragon Sorcerer or something to get element based bonus damage.

JackPhoenix
2016-06-17, 07:22 AM
It is viable, especially with Elemental Adept, but you will likely run in creatures that are outright immune to you. See here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?379165-MM-Resistances-Immunities-Vulnerabilities-and-Damage) for a number of immunities/resistances/vulnerabilities in MM

I don't see why creature vulnerable to cold should be vulnerable to blunt trauma caused by water. However, any spell causing direct physical damage bypasses resistance/immunity to non-magical physical damage by virtue of being a spell (http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/30/magic-resistance-against-physical-damage/). If the creature is resistant/immune to physical damage without regard for it being magical or not, you're out of luck (and so are martials, so it's only fair), though no such creature exists (AFAIK)

Corran
2016-06-17, 07:25 AM
Well, we have a druid in our party, who is playing exactly that very watery theme, and has picked all the water and ice spells she could. Race is water genasi for some additional flavour. We bent the rules a bit, such as allowing the druid to get ray of frost as a cantrip, or maybe she grabbed magic initiate and got it from there and I dont remember. Anyway, from what I have seen in our campaign, it works just fine, though I should mention that our campaign is not very combat-heavy, as that perhaps might test character builds more.

More generally, I think casters that stick with spells of a particular element are quite viable, provided they grab the elemental adept feat at some point. The only real restriction and possible downside, is if there are enough spells supporting the theme you are playing that you can use. Fire certainly has a lot of spells going for it, so I dont think a fire sorcerer or an evoker wizard focusing on fire spells would have much of a problem. I am not sure about the other types though. For example, how many spells does acid or poison have going for them? Maybe using spells of other damage type and just changing their damage type to the one you are using is a solution, one I've heard here and there when a similar topic arises, though I am not sure how balanced such a decision would be.

kaoskonfety
2016-06-17, 07:31 AM
So a single elemental "theme" woven into a spell selection can work great and help you get into being an architype.

The main questions: If all of you damage is say fire and you are fighting a fire immune foe or group of foes do you have enough non-damage options (control/buff/debuff) to contribute meaningfully to the encounter. "Did you grab hypnotic pattern/haste/whatever and fluff it for bonefire/bloodboil effects" and the like. Farie Fire is a great example - its a freaking great spell, does not damage and gets your round done doing something productive, while still having "fire" in the name (or moonlit shimmers for water, or or or).

At its heart be aware: you will, from time to time, be up against something you have zero good spells for (fire immune, strong on your De-buff saves, dispelling like lair actions removing your buffs). This is not a bad thing - well for you as a player its not a bad thing, your Character and his allies MAY feel differently. But such is the life of an adventurer!

"Seriously why did we bring Ignus the Fire Master to the Red dragon fight? To make us all immune to fire?... that is actually a really good reason..."

Democratus
2016-06-17, 07:50 AM
At its heart be aware: you will, from time to time, be up against something you have zero good spells for (fire immune, strong on your De-buff saves, dispelling like lair actions removing your buffs). This is not a bad thing - well for you as a player its not a bad thing, your Character and his allies MAY feel differently. But such is the life of an adventurer!

This is an important point. It is good storytelling to occasionally encounter something that your element is useless against. Rather than trying to find a "backup" spell that breaks the idiom to handle these situations, just roll with it and play the frustrated hero. It's good for character development.

RickAllison
2016-06-17, 08:27 AM
This is an important point. It is good storytelling to occasionally encounter something that your element is useless against. Rather than trying to find a "backup" spell that breaks the idiom to handle these situations, just roll with it and play the frustrated hero. It's good for character development.

"Ignus needs no spells! I have my dagger!"

My wizard plays like this. A lot. Although he uses his horns rather than a dagger.

BW022
2016-06-17, 08:44 AM
Almost all spell casters have enough of a range of spells that they will never be 100% relying on pure damage spells or those of one element.

* Almost everyone can fall back to a non-spell. An elven wizard can pull out a bow, a druid can wildshape, a cleric has a mace, etc.

* Most classes have non-direct damaging spells. Sleep, web, entangle, healing, etc.

* Many classes have low-level spells non-elemental based spells. Wizards and sorcerers tend to have magic missile. Just having one of these in memory, you can easily just cast it using higher level spell slots.

* Many classes have the ability to prepare spells from a larger list. A druid, cleric, or wizard may typically only prepare water spells... but during a rest can prepare fire or other spells if they know something is coming up. Other casters (excluding sorcerers) tend to not have a lot of elemental or direct damaging spells to start with. Sorcerer would be the most heavily affected, but just having magic missile gives you something most creatures aren't immune to.

* Even if a creature has resistance... you are still doing half damage. It could take awhile to blast through but it is still possible.

* Spell casters can also just carry scrolls (of other types) and use them in the rare cases where something is really immune, you can't win through non-offensive spells/tactics, and it isn't likely to happen that often.

* In most cases, you have a fair idea if this is going to be a problem. Most campaigns are set in areas and you can typically see if you are in a frozen north campaign, that lots of creatures might be immune to cold. In a random/typical campaign... expect a fair number of things to be immune to fire. Maybe 1 in 10 or 1 in 20. Enough to get annoying... especially if they are strung together in the same complex/area without time to plan/prepare.

Stan
2016-06-17, 08:44 AM
I was looking into this when thinking about an Avatar campaign. It can be done with only a bit of refluffing of a few spells. It really helps to makes use of the Elemental Evil spells, most of which are element spells. You can get the spells free here:
http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/EE_PlayersCompanion.pdf

When all else fails, have a physical weapon.

JackPhoenix
2016-06-17, 09:58 AM
Especially for a water-themed character, there are more options... after all, water has more than one form. Superheatedsteamball could be possible reffluff for Fireball, and despite D&D tradition of associating acid with earth for some reason, the spells use a liquid form.

Gastronomie
2016-06-17, 10:01 AM
It depends on whether you're power-gaming or trying to create a character. I personally believe the latter is more important, so I'm with it, but honestly, it does depend on the DM.

hymer
2016-06-17, 10:28 AM
You mention a druid, OP, and in that case I would highly suggest you don't limit yourself to certain spells entirely. Favouring certain spells heavily makes perfect sense to me, but there is a reason druids have access to their whole spell list: The game expects them to have this range of options.

Especially for a water-themed character, there are more options... after all, water has more than one form. Superheatedsteamball could be possible reffluff for Fireball, and despite D&D tradition of associating acid with earth for some reason, the spells use a liquid form.

Well, all the elements supposedly have three states of being (going on Rules Cyclopedia lore here). We're just much more familiar with water's, because it occurs at a fairly narrow range of temperature which is also close to our living conditions around here. :smallsmile:

RickAllison
2016-06-17, 02:05 PM

Not to mention changed spells. One of my favorites is the ice-based Comet Swarm. Yes, it is literally just Meteor Swarm, with ice shapes, but they can make for great fun.

mealar
2016-06-17, 02:49 PM
not sure how works for druid but one spell my guy was going to end up using alot for a frost theme was chromatic orb, as you choose its element you can also rework if you find an immunity

Baptor
2016-06-17, 03:58 PM
DM response here.

In 3.5 I had feats/magic items players could obtain that would allow them to utilize the natural effect of energy damage to avoid energy resistance.

Cold spells usually create ice shards, and so could be manipulated to deal piercing damage.

Fire spells create pressure and concussion, and so could be manipulated to deal bludgeoning damage.

Lightning spells tend to cause flesh to be rent, and so could be manipulated to deal slashing damage.

Were I to allow this in 5e, where both feats and MIs are greater expenses, I'd probably want to add something in with it. Here's a rough example of a feat.

Scion of Flame
You are a master at manipulating flames and explosions and can overcome those who normally do not fear fire.

Your fire spells deal fire or bludgeoning damage, your choice.
Your Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma increases by 1.

Happy hunting. :)

MintyNinja
2016-06-17, 04:14 PM
I was trying to do something similar with an Ice Wizard once, but just the party mechanics (3 others were fighters -_-) had me taking more buffs and utility spells. And Fireball, because I was an Evovation Savant and sometimes situations required just incinerating the ground and everything around me in a 20 ft radius leaving us 4 safe and sound.

I'm rambling a bit, but my intention is to mention that doubling down does decently, have you tried pairing up two elements for fun? My wizard character up there could very well have been a personalization of Ice and Fire (had a whistling sword singing songs as well). But there's a nice set of combos available: Thunder + Lightning are obvious, but try something like Acid + Fire for that burning sensation.