PDA

View Full Version : DMG Random dungeon generator - is there an online version?

Scarey Nerd
2016-06-17, 08:52 AM
I loved the idea of the random dungeon generator tables in the DMG, but when I tried making one using it it was taking me forever. Has anyone converted those tables into a random generator online that you know of? Or does anyone know how I could go about doing so? Sorry if this is the wrong area for a question like this, I looked around but none seemed to suit.

MaxWilson
2016-06-17, 08:59 AM
Well, there's this: http://donjon.bin.sh/5e/dungeon/

I'm not sure if it uses the DMG tables or something else but it's pretty decent.

Telesto
2016-06-17, 09:05 AM
Wizards has the dice roller online (I don't have enough posts to post the link, sorry).

Use the type of die necessary, and much more importantly, batch roll numerous rolls at once, which will show you what the die roll is in a sum. Use each of the die rolls to generate what you need.

It isn't as nice as an actual random dungeon generator would be, however the programing on such a thing would be somewhat intense (starting location alone has to key for how many passage rolls you get, which is going to be much less straightforward than if it didn't). But this will speed up your own generating

Actually... Max that is my new favorite website. That's even more useful than what I had invisioned the OP asking for, and was what I had hoped a high end version of the tables would be

Scarey Nerd
2016-06-17, 09:12 AM
I use Donjon all the time for a lot of things, but I'm not a fan of the dungeon generator simply because all it does is create a map, whereas the random tables in the DMG also populate each room and tell you what sort of room it is, etc. I figured there wasn't one already, but I know 0 about programming so I guess I'm gonna have to spend some time learning Python. Yes, I'm so lazy that I'd rather learn a programming language and code a random dungeon generator than just roll it manually.

EDIT: My bad, it IS a lot different now, I hadn't noticed! Maybe this is what I need.