PDA

View Full Version : The Crimson Ship in 5e

Afgncaap5
2016-06-17, 09:38 AM
tl;dr - The Crimson Ship in 5e: thoughts for combat? Recommendations?

I've been asked to run a game, and the players (previously only 3.5 players barring one brief foray into the fifth dimension) asked if I could run a 5e game for them, asked if I could make it a nautical game, and asked for either Greyhawk or Eberron since they knew I enjoyed both of those settings and they wanted to see an "official" setting instead of a home made one. I was delighted, and since I know the islands and coasts of Eberron more than I know Greyhawk's, I went that way.

And Eberron + Nautical said three things to me. The first was the Lhazaar Principalities. The second was The Bloodsails. The third, strangely enough, was The Crimson Ship from 3.5's Explorer's Handbook.

(Weird note: I love House Lyrandar, and they didn't occur to me until I started writing this post.)

For those unfamiliar, The Crimson Ship is basically a magical ghost ship piloted by a single captain and no other entities, a (probably?) non-evil Ultroloth who seems to be playing some larger, mysterious game the end result of which is unknown. He finds people... usually those marooned on islands or on sinking ships or other places where storms rage or blood has been shed (and flown from land to sea according to some accounts)... and offers them a single chance to take his ship on a trip to go literally anywhere connected to water (even in other planes) as long as they agree to engage in a single combat. Effectively, he's a mysterious, larger-than-life figure who offers a chance to get anywhere in the campaign setting really quickly with a single combat along the way.

Now, I'm hoping to introduce him early in the campaign, very early... so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for good, thematically mysterious combat scenarios for The Captain to offer. Examples from the original book included a duel with Rakshasas in the Lake of Fire in the Demon Wastes, killing a hydra on an abandoned beach, and fighting off two vampires who jump onto The Crimson Ship from their own shipwreck in the middle of a sargasso kelp sea that houses a dozen or so ruined warships.

Now, I love the example fights that the Explorer's Handbook offers, but given the high-ish levels of a lot of the suggested monsters, and the fact that 5e bumps up the challenges of a few of these things, it feels appropriate to me to tweak them or come up with new ones on my own. And since I'm doing that anyway, I thought I'd ask for some good no-context ship battles. So... any suggestions for what The Captain wants these players to do? Things that would present good options for fully healed and prepped level 3 to 5-ish players. I want The Captain introduced super early so that by the time it reaches the late game and players are used to identifying Bloodsails by their crimson sails, he'll be a nice surprise when he comes back to save them from something dire (in exchange for yet another combat, of course...)

And while I'm on the subject: has there actually been much talk about Eberron aside from that one Unearthed Arcana article from way, way back? Every time I try to do research into that, it looks like it's almost entirely Forgotten Realms support with a few nods to how things are handled in the various other settings.

Regitnui
2016-06-17, 10:30 AM
*cracks knuckles*

I'm also writing a campaign in the Lhazaar Principalities, so can offer a fair bit of help. Without referencing the MM, I can't recommend encounters, but the main strength of the Crimson Ship is that there's no discernible rhyme and reason to the Captain's motives. It's just one fight and you're pretty much where you need to be. My personal theory is that he's locked in proxy combat with another entity, and each battle the players win advances his cause, after which he waits until the other entity makes a move. Perhaps introduce another, similarly enigmatic being; a sphinx, perhaps; which has it's own go-to party.

<More will be added>

Afgncaap5
2016-06-17, 10:36 AM
*cracks knuckles*

I'm also writing a campaign in the Lhazaar Principalities, so can offer a fair bit of help. Without referencing the MM, I can't recommend encounters, but the main strength of the Crimson Ship is that there's no discernible rhyme and reason to the Captain's motives. It's just one fight and you're pretty much where you need to be. My personal theory is that he's locked in proxy combat with another entity, and each battle the players win advances his cause, after which he waits until the other entity makes a move. Perhaps introduce another, similarly enigmatic being; a sphinx, perhaps; which has it's own go-to party.

<More will be added>

I've considered the other similar being route, though I've also been toying with the idea that there's some power that The Captain is beholden to, and that he needs to perform these tasks for the greater will of whatever is making him do this, but the Conquer game sort of represents his ability to keep track of the *way* in which he's performing these services, possibly in the hopes that he can finagle freedom somehow.

JackPhoenix
2016-06-17, 10:39 AM
All right, Regitnui is here and he can speak about pirates in Eberron better than I ever could, so I'll answer the second question: there's no official Eberron material for 5e outside that one UA, and no telling if there ever will be. Keith Baker doesn't know if WotC are working on 5e Eberron, though he's posting some of his (system neutral) ideas on his site (http://keith-baker.com/). He wants to post Eberron materials on DMsG, when (and if) Eberron becomes available there, but for now, you'll have to depend on older material for fluff and homebrew for crunch.

Afgncaap5
2016-06-17, 11:15 AM
All right, Regitnui is here and he can speak about pirates in Eberron better than I ever could, so I'll answer the second question: there's no official Eberron material for 5e outside that one UA, and no telling if there ever will be. Keith Baker doesn't know if WotC are working on 5e Eberron, though he's posting some of his (system neutral) ideas on his site (http://keith-baker.com/). He wants to post Eberron materials on DMsG, when (and if) Eberron becomes available there, but for now, you'll have to depend on older material for fluff and homebrew for crunch.

Ah, well... I'd hoped I'd missed something somewhere, but it looks like I've got it all.

I confess I'm mainly going into the pirate scene blind. I have a few Dragonshards articles from 3.5 to reference and copies of most Eberron books, but I know I'm missing some things. (I know there was a big 4e Dragon article that highlighted the Bloodails, which is a group I want to use, but 4e Dragon material's trickier to get my hands on than I'd like.) Fortunately, what pirate info I have is likely sufficient for right now, but I'll be doing loads of research soon. I'm using far too many qualifying words in this post.

Regitnui
2016-06-17, 12:25 PM
I've considered the other similar being route, though I've also been toying with the idea that there's some power that The Captain is beholden to, and that he needs to perform these tasks for the greater will of whatever is making him do this, but the Conquer game sort of represents his ability to keep track of the *way* in which he's performing these services, possibly in the hopes that he can finagle freedom somehow.

Yeah, that's pretty much the same thought process i went through, but with the important difference that you don't play chess/Conqueror against a superior, but an equal. Both players of Conqueror are equally equipped, neither has a great advantage over the other. If a creature was able to gain a decisive advantage over the Captain, surely there would be no need to play the game; there would be clear winner.

But yeah. Message me, and we can work out a great and vibrant Lhazaar Principalities. My current campaign is based on the idea that there's a war brewing between the High Prince Rygar ir'Wyrnarn and the new Prince Roe Farwynd. They both want to unify the Principalities; Rygar wants to create One Fleet, Roe wants to create One Nation. Rygar is a conqueror, and Roe is a diplomat. I'm mostly working on the Home Base for the campaign, Port Verge, but I've devoted a bit of thought to the ongoing politics.

The Bloodsails, in my campaign, are the 'family' that Erandis Vol has assembled for herself. In a dark mirror of the Undying Court, a lot of the elders in Illmarrow Castle are undead. One of the characters in my campaign is the last 'living' lorekeeper of the original Vol family, and Erandis probably has a number of ancient undead who function specifically as 'revered ancestors'. The ships and face of the Bloodsails are living members, Shaen Tasil is their current Prince, but the Prince operates under Erandis' supervision, and defers to the 'Ancestors'. They stand largely neutral in the upcoming conflict; as the northernmost Principality, it's unlikely that any fighting would come to their doorstep, so Erandis' current strategy is to watch and wait for one of the sides to be clearly stronger before pledging allegiance.

I'll stop rambling there, but there's plenty of room for your party to run through the Principalities without getting caught up in the brewing civil war. I'd be happy to have someone to build with. It's always more fun when you can bounce off someone. I have about *counts* 9 Princes out of canonically a rough dozen, any one of which could show up in your campaign. Just ask. :smallwink: