PDA

View Full Version : Exalted Necromancy [Variant]

Maerok
2007-06-29, 02:11 PM
Exalted Necromancy Character Option

A NG, LG, or CG character may take this character option when they take their first spellcasting class. That spellcaster may use animate dead, create undead, create greater undead, and plague of undead in a special way that does not violate their alignment (they gain the Good descriptor); any skeleton or zombie they creature gains the NG alignment (or the Deathless type, if available). This also applies to any NE undead that the other two spells could create; creatures of the CE and LE alignments cannot be created this way. Black onyx is replaced by an equal value of diamonds.

Though the body may or may not possess intelligence, the spirit is unharmed and has some say in what the body does - the former creature may terminate its undeath at will, reverting to an inert corpse which cannot be animated again. A corpse cannot be raised unwillingly (but can be if the spirit no longer exists; though it may destroy itself if used in a way contrary to its past life).

Application
Shawken is a Lawful Good cleric of Pelor who has taken the Exalted Necromancy option on his first cleric level. When he hears of an army of lizardmen , he informs his guild and they assemble an elite team of warriors from across the land. On the battlefield, things are going great as the reptilian skirmishers are being forced back down a hill where the final blows can be struck; but disaster strikes as a hidden lizardman sorceror unleashes a wail of the banshee, killing off all his soldiers. The enemy retreats, having won that battle, and sets off to conquer the city.

Left alone, Shawken says a few prayers in the name of his god. He cannot revive them all, and the few he could would not be able to fend off the lizards. With that, he begins his exalted plague of undead, knowing that many of them would allow it to defend their city. About 90% of their spirits agree, and so the newly awaken exalted zombies (NG) march on to catch the lizards from behind by surprise.

As the last of the lizards fall, the warriors decide to depart after honorable combat and their animated remains fall backwards into the graves they had dug. He returns to those who did not come to fight and prepares the rites for their own burial.

mikeejimbo
2007-06-29, 02:26 PM
Nice, I like this quite a bit! I've always wondered why Necromancy had to be evil.

Question though: Does this mean that they are powered by Positive Energy instead of Negative? So they are still healed by Positive Energy, hurt by Negative?

And if that's true, how does Turn/Rebuke Undead work with them?

Maerok
2007-06-29, 04:15 PM
Hmm. Ok, well they would definitely be formed by Positive Energy, so positive energy would heal and negative energy would hurt.

Now for turning and rebuking, I guess you could turn a good ghost with rebuking... (That brings up the Redcloak vs. the ghosts problem.) It'd be a "turn undead (sort of)" to use rebuking to turn and turning to rebuke.

Matthew
2007-07-06, 06:43 PM
I dunno. Side stepping the Good/Evil issues around Zombies and Skeletons? The thing is that such Animated Undead don't have any Spirits or Souls to speak of. They are just the reanimated corpses of departed Spirits, aren't they?

Winged One
2007-07-06, 07:12 PM
Question though: Does this mean that they are powered by Positive Energy instead of Negative? So they are still healed by Positive Energy, hurt by Negative?
Well, I was just poking around here, but I think I can answer this. They get the Deathless type if available, and that's what the Deathless type means.

And if that's true, how does Turn/Rebuke Undead work with them?
Basicly like Soon and company from OOTS did, if they're Deathless(evil or negative energy channeling clerics can turn and destroy them, good clerics or postive energy channeling clerics can rebuke and control them).

If a non-good character changes alignments to good, can they switch to this varient? I only ask because I'm making a redeemable wizard who has been known to use undead.

What's plague of undead from, the Libris Mortis? How many undead does it make normally?

Peregrine
2007-07-07, 12:01 AM
...and so the newly awaken exalted zombies (NG) march on to catch the lizards from behind by surprise.

...Unfortunately, being zombies, they never actually manage to catch up, and disaster befalls the city. :smallbiggrin:

Whether this works or not comes down entirely to how undead work in the specific setting. I think I've made my own preferred fluff (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36295) abundantly clear in the past. So I wouldn't allow this, not as written, not just taking the same old necromancy spells and making them A-OK.

I do, however, like the idea of some kind of benevolent "undead" or spirit beings, and the ability to call on them. Like the Sapphire Guard, or just like core ghosts, or something... I've made an abortive attempt or two to write up something like it.

In short, flavour yes, crunch no.

Duke Malagigi
2007-07-07, 01:09 AM
Just remove the [Evil] descriptor from animate dead. Then I'd go back to the spell's original material components flesh, bone and blood and if you're Good aligned, it has to be your own. I'd also let paladins cast any 1st to 4th level spells that a Lawful Good cleric could, well tailored per deity of course.

Jack_Simth
2007-07-07, 02:25 AM
...Unfortunately, being zombies, they never actually manage to catch up, and disaster befalls the city. :smallbiggrin:

Oddly, an army of Zombies made from 1st level Warriors will actually outpace an army made of living 1st level Barbarians over the course of a week.

Mostly because the Zombies can keep going 24/7 with no meaningful drawbacks. The Zombie can go full speed - at its one move action of 30 feet per round. Call it 3 miles per hour, 72 miles per day.

They can Forced March... but only for so long. If the barbarians all get REALLY lucky, they can maybe keep up a Forced March for a day and a half. After that? They're sunk. Over the course of a week, they're basically working with a 40 foot move for 8 hours a day - call it 4 miles per hour, 32 miles per day.