PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Illumian Factotum Word variant

Kafana
2016-06-17, 10:57 AM
This probably should go in the homebrew section, but I find it's a bit too rule specific to put it in a general area and requires someone who knows the rules.

A player wants to play an illumian factotum (which fluff wise makes perfect sense), but he finds the Illumian words don't really fit the class (and I agree). In order to compensate I wanted to see if I can make a factotum word. Could you suggest any bonus, even very minor that fits the whole idea, has Naen and Hoon in it.

It could be something like using an inspiration point for X up to once or twice per day, but I really want X to add (even more) options to the class and be meaningful, though not necessarily powerful.

Doc_Maynot
2016-06-17, 11:58 AM
My attempt.

Fath- Add X to your effective class level for any class feature that turns undead or heals damage (So could be used on Clerics or Paladin Lay on Hands, but also Factotum's Opportunistic Piety, an I tried to word it so it wouldn't also increase CL on cure spells)

Fathhoon- At the beginning of an encounter an Illumian may expend a use of turn undead perform a special turning check (adding Fath bonus to this), treat the result of this check as a modifier on a Factotum's class level for determining how much Inspiration they have available to them.

Fathnaen- When using Cunning Knowledge, a factotum may expend a turn attempt to gain an extra use on a skill they have already used Cunning Knowledge on that day.

Gildedragon
2016-06-17, 01:15 PM
The illumian words can work with factotums with a bit of tweaking
As is, if you let them count their SLAs as spells for the words, UurNaen and NaenHoon work great
AeshUur is perfect as is for factotums
Tweak Vaulnaen to let them recast an SLA

If anything I'd make a sigil that boosts SLAs so as to boost warlock, binder, and factotum
Or that works with magic items...

Something like
Taab (making): +1 on craft, spellcraft/psicraft, umd/upd, and appraise checks

Naentaab : use intelligence for UMD / UPD activation... Something something speedy craft skill...
Taabkrau: 2/day use a spell written on spellbook one has mastered as a scroll with a UMD. The spell gets deleted from the spellbook, or the spellbook ceases to be mastered or something