PDA

View Full Version : OOtS campaign setting

Angel in Black
2007-06-29, 03:09 PM
Alright, before I say anything, I want to make it known that I did, in fact, use the search function before posting this. Forgive me if it's been mentioned before.

Doesn't anyone else think Rich could make a ton of money by writing the OoTS campaign setting into book form? I'd buy it, and I'd probably use it, or get one of my DMs to. It's an extremely interesting place, whatever it's called.

Dalenthas
2007-06-29, 03:45 PM
He's probably waiting till the OotS have explored as much as they're going to explore. In other words, he doesn't want to give away plot points by giving a run down of what is where.
Plus he probably doesn't want to put up with fanboy's stating how the map clearly indicates comic such and such is incorrect because it says it takes X days to get from A to B but clearly it would take Y unless the OotS walk at 500 mph.... you get the idea.

PaladinFreak
2007-06-29, 04:05 PM
I think that that would be really cool, but, for the reasons stated above, he probably won't make one. :smallfrown:

Tolkien_Freak
2007-06-29, 04:27 PM
I think that that would be really cool, but, for the reasons stated above, he probably won't make one. :smallfrown:

Probably. (sigh)

Morty
2007-06-29, 04:28 PM
Yeah, besides there aren't much of a setting by now. We don't know anything about races, cultures, religion etc. We know only what we need to enjoy the comic.
Which is not to imply I wouldn't enjoy knowing more about the setting comic takes place in.

TheNovak
2007-06-29, 04:47 PM
This has actually popped up a few times, but the search function is pretty damn unreliable (despite what some may tell you).

I would absolutely love to see an OotS campaign setting, but yeah, I think it's a project for a later day. Maybe once the story wraps up, he'll start workin' on it. I think there's just too much D&D goodness in there to let it go to waste.

David Argall
2007-06-29, 06:52 PM
This is a comedy. A map just gets in the way. Take
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0226.html

A map showing these places just ruins the gag.

Distances are long or short depending on joke need.

Pronounceable
2007-06-29, 07:47 PM
If I may quote:

There are no maps. You can't map a sense of humor.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-06-29, 08:18 PM
As currently written, there isn't much to put into a campaign setting. A few small towns, a dungeon of indeterminatable size and shape, and two good sized cities. Part of the world is generic Europe, and part is generic Asia.

By design, OotSverse is pretty much generic. No unique races, no super-science mixed with sorcery, no gods meddling on a day to day basis. Thor pops in whenever he feels like it, but mostly left things up to an automated phone system. The Twelve Gods haven't done much besides Smite Miko, and send Thor back home before he screwed everything up.

Of course, robots do exist (see On the Origins of PCs), and the Western Continent is still unexplored by Our Heroes.

DraPrime
2007-06-29, 08:46 PM
There's really no way to make a campaign setting out of it. There's no way to ever take it seriously. What kind of a world has a kingdom called nowhere?

Unrepentant
2007-06-29, 09:00 PM
I think OotS wouldn't make a good traditional campaign setting, where you have maps, cultures, setting unique PrC's and spells, etc. However, a book or a document about how to run a campaign OotS-style, where the characters within are fully aware that they are player characters who are subject to the laws of gaming as well as the laws of physics and magic, now that would be good stuff. I'd buy it, and I'd seriously consider home-brewing such a campaign.

Which I would then proceed to merrily not share with anyone via electronic media, snail mail, print, etc, out of respect for Rich's IP rights. So neener.

the_tick_rules
2007-07-01, 08:54 AM
it'd be awesome if he did, but who knows. OOTS is cool cause it often breaks D&D rules. Making into a codified rule book may diminish it's flavor.

Tredrick
2007-07-01, 10:06 AM
If I may quote:

There are no maps. You can't map a sense of humor.

*Looks at his copy of The Diskworld Mappe*

Really?