PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Spells while attacking?

Requiem_Jeer
2016-06-18, 12:49 AM
Hey, I'm spitballing a character build involving Imbued Staff and Eliserv Style. The details are unimportant, but what I'm looking for is help finding all of the effects that let you unleash magical hell while full attacking with a weapon.

Currently, the list I'm looking through looks something like this:

Eliserv Style (DotU, magical staff use as swift)
Enlightened fist 3 (CArc, Touch spell through monk weapon, stunning fist use, free)
Spell Storing weapon (3rd level limit, offensive spell discharge, free)
Bloodstone weapon (Vampiric touch, empowered, otherwise as spell storing)
Duskblade 3/13 (Part of attack action/full attack action, touch spell)

Bonus points for obscure quarterstaff-specific bonuses.

Temotei
2016-06-18, 01:16 AM
I believe you could do an ordained champion/ruby knight vindicator build where you just flame strike a million times while full attacking for no reason after your enemies are charred remains of charred remains. Not specific to quarterstaff, obviously, but you could pick a deity with the War domain and quarterstaff as their favored weapon (I think Joramy and Panzuriel are the only ones).

Khedrac
2016-06-18, 01:49 AM
Son't overlook the Arcane Strike feat - not great compared to casting the spell but not too bad.

You have also missed the SpellSword.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-06-18, 01:58 AM
Pathfinders bloodrager can cast a spell as part of going into rage...

Requiem_Jeer
2016-06-18, 03:01 AM
Spellsword, yes that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. That said, I'm probably not going to use that specific class, but more along those lines would be nice.

Temotei, that is exactly the advice I'm NOT looking for. I'll make the build myself, I'm just trying to see if I can get more spells tossed around while attacking. I might need to just invest those levels in getting better at quarterstaff combat though.

noce
2016-06-18, 04:27 AM
Imbue familiar with spell ability is a 6th level spell that basically gives you bonus actions to cast spells. Don't know if you have a familiar though.

Troacctid
2016-06-18, 04:53 AM
Ordained Champion does actually do the thing you want. It lets you cast War domain spells during a full attack and it lets you channel spells through your weapon. So it's pretty good all around.

ILM
2016-06-18, 07:23 AM
I believe you could do an ordained champion/ruby knight vindicator build where you just flame strike a million times while full attacking for no reason after your enemies are charred remains of charred remains. Not specific to quarterstaff, obviously, but you could pick a deity with the War domain and quarterstaff as their favored weapon (I think Joramy and Panzuriel are the only ones).
Leaving aside the conflicting worship requirements (Hextor/Heironeous for OC, Wee Jas for RKV) this assumes a particularly enthusiastic reading of Divine Impetus. By RAW it's a standard action to activate since it's a (Su) ability. It wouldn't be unreasonable to houserule it a free action 1/round, but allowing it as a free action unlimited times per round (alongside unrestricted access to Nighsticks, I assume) is just the DM asking for his game to be broken.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-18, 08:23 AM
Don't forget Divine Metamagic, Persistent Spell, Quicken Spell, and (greater) celerity. Even a lesser metamagic rod of Quicken or Persist can be useful enough to use when needed, especially for arcane casters, who tend to have low level spells that are useful even at high levels. And if your DM is willing to go in for a few houserules on Weapons of Legacy (like cutting all the horrible penalties for using them), a legacy item can give you free Quickens several times per day.

If you're a psionic/spellcaster character (multiclass) or a psionic//spellcaster character (gestalt), psionics has a ton of fantastic ways to grant additional actions. Quicken Power, Linked Power, synchronicity, hustle, anticipatory strike, temporal acceleration, control body + solicit psicrystal + Psicrystal Affinity and more, many of which can be shared with your psicrystal (who may use UMD/UPD or metamorphosis to aid you). And since they grant extra actions (especially synchronicity Linked to to avoid having to waste actions buffing by replacing your standard action with [standard action + psionic power], you can use those extra actions to cast spells, attack, move elsewhere to set up better tactics, and so on.

People generally advocate gestalting an active class (like wizard) with a passive class (like monk), but psion/psywar/ardent/etc, despite being [I]extremely active classes, can grant so many actions that they pair very well with other active classes. They do the same through multiclassing, though to a lesser extent.