PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Soldier background variant?

ES Curse
2016-06-18, 01:46 AM
It occurs to me that the Soldier background doesn't include actual weapon/armor proficiencies, so I want to give it a shot. Would you replace the "military rank" feature with "military training" that gives proficiency in light/medium armor, one weapon (simple or martial) and shields? I know this wasn't included in the first place because 99% of characters with this background are martials who already have this training with their class, so this is more meant for something like a Warlock who was plucked from death on the battlefield by his patron.

Final Hyena
2016-06-18, 09:46 AM
One thing to consider is how strong it is on a class that doesn't get armour. Mountain Dwarves might get medium armour, but they do not allow you to get a bonus to any mental attributes.

Giving a weapon proficiency might be less awkward.

JBPuffin
2016-06-19, 11:44 PM
It occurs to me that the Soldier background doesn't include actual weapon/armor proficiencies, so I want to give it a shot. Would you replace the "military rank" feature with "military training" that gives proficiency in light/medium armor, one weapon (simple or martial) and shields? I know this wasn't included in the first place because 99% of characters with this background are martials who already have this training with their class, so this is more meant for something like a Warlock who was plucked from death on the battlefield by his patron.

One thing to consider is how strong it is on a class that doesn't get armour. Mountain Dwarves might get medium armour, but they do not allow you to get a bonus to any mental attributes.

Giving a weapon proficiency might be less awkward.

Backgrounds aren't meant to provide those kinds of bonuses. Beyond the two skills and two tools/languages, they don't give mechanical benefits; the feature is fluff that players and GM are encouraged to use to integrate the characters better into the story.

Wanna play a warlock plucked from death on the battlefield? Variant human, Weapon Master feat if you think that everyone on a battlefield is actually using a martial weapon or armor and isn't some peasant schmuck who got drafted. You can even make a custom background for them using the PHB's rules - you just can't give them a weapon proficiency from it.

The whole package is overkill no matter what, but the concept is better without homebrewed modification. If you simply can't abide by this, drop a tool prof for a weapon prof, and under no circumstances provide them armor, for the reasons Final Hyena pointed out.

Logosloki
2016-06-20, 08:26 AM
Soldier is the background for someone who wants to be a part of a military organisation. In the background itself you can choose (or roll) from a list of various roles in that organisation. Personally I think it should be an artisan tool of choice for proficiency rather than gaming set which would allow you better to reflect your role.

As an aside though, on my table I allow everyone to choose a weapon (and the proficiency to use it) and a ritual spell (which they may have to wait before they can cast). If you aren't proficient with the weapon it takes up one of your weapon options from the starting equipment and if you are already proficient then hey, you got an extra weapon. I find being a little relaxed on what you allow lets the players be a little more immersed. It isn't like every time they make a character they use the extra options so I don't feel like they are abusing it beyond what I expect.

Like a monk who wanted whip proficiency so they could have a Kusarigama (I went a little further and allowed the whip to be a monk weapon).

tombowings
2016-06-20, 08:49 AM
I would let a character select proficiency with a single martial weapon in exchange for the gaming set. Sounds fine to me.