PDA

View Full Version : DM Help The players split the party

hymer
2016-06-18, 04:49 AM
A band of evil adventurers had headed for a particular ruined keep, and our brave heroes (including two paladins and a cleric, all three LG), set after them to thwart their plan. This proved easy enough, fighting the evil group at the ruined keep. But it left the question of what they had come after. It seemed better to secure whatever it was.
Standard dungeon crawling ensues, as the ruined keep is scoured, and its cellars prove (big surprise!) to contain something older and fouler. But, inevitably, our heroes tire, both physically and magically, and decide to take a break - except for the three guys who just want to use their magic wand to look for secret doors before retiring for the night. And having found some, decide that they can at least take a peek. And, as you'd expect, they pick the worst possible place to peek, and unleash the demon that the group should face gathered and probably near peak capacity, to have a good chance to win.
The three manage to barricade themselves in a narrow hallway, where the demon prefers not to fight for size reasons. It feels it can wait. One of them (perceived to be the one at fault for insisting on opening the secret door as well as physically opening it) manages to sneak out with magical aid to warn the others. They are now coming back down to try to rescure their comrades.

And there the session ended, and the next one begins tomorrow. The guy perceived to be at fault isn't going to be there for the big showdown, which admittedly is looking particularly grim - hints were dropped that this fight was meant to be the climax of the scenario. Two of the players will be driving for about three hours to attend this session (which is considered a lot in our small country).

So, dear playgrounders, all that in mind, do you let them have what the absent player wrought for them? Do you let the absent player's character escape death if the rest die? Add your own questions, and answer them if you care to!
Just wondering what the playgrounders feel about this situation. All views appreciated. :smallsmile:

Koo Rehtorb
2016-06-18, 05:27 AM
Talk to everyone and ask if they want to call it off until everyone can be there? Or alternatively ask the group if they want you to just play the missing person's character.

hymer
2016-06-18, 05:46 AM
Talk to everyone and ask if they want to call it off until everyone can be there? Or alternatively ask the group if they want you to just play the missing person's character.

Thanks for the thoughts! Let me just say I have things fairly in hand, and I think I'll be able to handle it decently and maturely. The key is to remind the players that for now they need to get everyone out and rest, not fight the demon. And we're going to play, because this group meets about twice per three months, and that's more than long enough between sessions.
I'm more interested in seeing how people react to the scenario in general. A sort of reality check for me, if you like.

nedz
2016-06-18, 06:24 AM
I'd leave it entirely up to the players.

You should remind the player's of their character's predicament during the recap of the last session, assuming you do those, but then let them figure out a solution.

hymer
2016-06-18, 12:20 PM
I'd leave it entirely up to the players.

You should remind the player's of their character's predicament during the recap of the last session, assuming you do those, but then let them figure out a solution.

No mercy for the travellers, eh? :smallyuk: Thanks for your thoughts!

nedz
2016-06-18, 12:45 PM
No mercy for the travellers, eh? :smallyuk: Thanks for your thoughts!

It's their decisions and actions - besides they may surprise you.

There's no reason why you couldn't give them an opening to escape, or even an opportunity to negotiate, but I wouldn't presume to cheapen their experience by dictating what they have to do.

My player's routinely travel further FWIW.

hymer
2016-06-18, 12:53 PM
You're very close to what I intend to have happen, anyway. I'm wondering, though, if some GMs would take something like that into account.
The players usually write their own summaries, but I wrote this one as nobody else did, and I stressed the current situation. And I intend to have them do as they will, but they do have a clever NPC with them at the moment. He will point out, in case the players have forgotten since last time weeks ago, that they need their resources refreshed before taking on this fight. Whether they actually do that is anybody's guess.

SirBellias
2016-06-18, 02:18 PM
Definitely a thing that happens. I'd just play it out as normal, no reason for giving them to easy of a solution to the climax. If some of them die, so be it. If you truly feel inclined to help, you could have said demon let them escape, thinking they are too easy of prey while weakened. It really depends on if you were planning on continuing the story arc of these characters or not.

I'd have one of the other players run the absent person's character.

Temperjoke
2016-06-18, 02:24 PM
Would it be possible to have the absent person "attend" via skype or something? Even if it's just input on non-combat decisions?

As to the scenario, I'd continue rolling with it, missing person or not. You've got too big a time gap between gaming sessions to waste opportunities to continue the plot, in my opinion, by cater t oa person who can't be there with the rest of them.

Of course, you should put it to a group choice, but I don't think it's fair to the people who are traveling to not continue the story, since it's presumably one of the reasons for their coming.

nedz
2016-06-18, 03:09 PM
Well you get to roleplay the demon and he doesn't have to just kill them out right - or even try too. He could just play with them like a cat with a mouse - which would make the encounter more exciting and provide an opportunity for escape, or an opening for an upset, whatever.

Whether you do any such thing depends upon your playstyle, and the playstyle of your players, but it's a thought.

hymer
2016-06-19, 09:43 AM
In case anyone was wondering, the players managed to extricate themselves, although they were sorely tempted once they encountered the demon to just fight and not run. It took a lot of (medium-loud) reminding from one of the players that the idea was to run.
Once they came back they were victorious, although they lost their NPC ally to a poorly executed healing after an initial drop. The NPC was left prone in reach of the demon, and without a turn between the healer and the demon.
Excrement occurs, I guess.

SirBellias
2016-06-19, 10:52 AM
Eh, they did it with a casualty to remember it by. I'd call that a success.

Aetis
2016-06-19, 12:17 PM
Two of the players will be driving for about three hours to attend this session.

You have some dedicated players.

hymer
2016-06-20, 01:54 AM
You have some dedicated players.

I like to think my freshly baked soft rolls have something to do with it. Well, that and that we have a lot of fun when we play. :smallsmile:

goto124
2016-06-20, 01:58 AM
I like to think my freshly baked soft rolls have something to do with it.

How many skill ranks do you have in Craft (Soft Rolls)?

hymer
2016-06-20, 06:40 AM
How many skill ranks do you have in Craft (Soft Rolls)?

Not many, but I grant myself some considerable circumstance bonuses. I'm the DM, I can do that.