PDA

View Full Version : Druid PrCs? Druid Variants?

FireSpark
2007-06-29, 03:32 PM
Now first and foremost, let me just say that in this thread, I'm not really concerned with the overall balance of the druid class. Nor do I care if having wild shape, an animal companion, and full casting ability is overpowered or not. My questions deal mostly with the flavour of things. So if anything above is what you came to say, I reply "Thanks for the interest, but I believe there is already another thread on the subject." If you're still here, read on...

I've always wanted to play a druid in 3.x, but to this date have not. I couldn't really put my finger on why I haven't until recently. Wild shape. It isn't that I don't like the idea of a shapeshifting guardian of nature. But what not what I really want to play in a druid. So I figured that I should be able to find some help here.

Does anyone know of any druid PrCs that focus on the spellcasting, and on wild shape as little as possible (none at all preferably). If no Prcs come to mind (and yes I've looked, and they all seem to emphasize wild shaping), maybe there are some variants out there that focuses on spells more than shapeshifting. Personally, I've been thinking about designing a druid variant to satisfy my desires, but as with all of humanity, I'm lazy and would much rather be given what I want, instead of having to do it myself.:smalltongue:

So, anybody have any help for me?

JellyPooga
2007-06-29, 03:38 PM
Well, instead of Druid, you could play Spirit Shaman (Complete Divine)...similar flavour, same spell list, no wild shape. In a similar vein, Wu Jen (Complete Arcane) could also be an 'arcane druid' if slightly reflavoured.

If you're speciffically looking for PrC's then you might be out of luck...like you say, there's a lot that focus on wild shaping, but none that leave it out (that I know of anyway).

Arcane Heirophant is pretty spellcast-y, but you need to have Arcane spellcasting for that (and it advances Wild Shape)...that's about it as far as I know (unless you go for something like Ruathar or another "+1 level of existing spellcasting class" PrC...but I can't think of any that are particularly Druid-y).

Illiterate Scribe
2007-06-29, 03:43 PM
You're not interested in balance, but you are in druidic spell-casting?

I have two words for you then -

Planar. Shepherd. :smallbiggrin:

'tis truly one of the game's ultimate cheese engines.

Hey! Why not wild-shape into a Solar, by using your amulet of wildshaping?

Cast about a billion spell-like abilities? Check.

Cast druid spells? Check.

Prepare 5 castings of miracle, as well as the rest of the spells of a 20th level cleric? Why not?

Rad
2007-06-29, 03:59 PM
Just pick among the Cleric PrCs. There are no druid PrCs with emphasis on spellcasting because you can still enter almost any divine spellcasting class.
Contemplative? what about a Loremaster?

JellyPooga
2007-06-29, 04:07 PM
Just pick among the Cleric PrCs. There are no druid PrCs with emphasis on spellcasting because you can still enter almost any divine spellcasting class.

They're not particularly Druidic though are they? They're more generic Divine-Caster...y. I got the impression that the OP is after Druid flavour, but spellcsating focused rather than Wild Shape focus and there just isn't any PrC's like that really.

FireSpark
2007-06-29, 04:10 PM
Well, instead of Druid, you could play Spirit Shaman (Complete Divine)...similar flavour, same spell list, no wild shape. In a similar vein, Wu Jen (Complete Arcane) could also be an 'arcane druid' if slightly reflavoured.

Yeah, I like the Spirit Shaman too, but it just doesn't have the 'oomf' I was going for. But it was definately on my radar.

Hadn't thought of that, I'll have to re-check my books now.

Fixer
2007-06-29, 04:18 PM
Geomancers are a good druid prestige class if you have some arcane built in.
Verdant Lord from Masters of the Wild (not sure if its been reprinted).
Daggerspell Shaper (if you don't mind losing two levels of spellcasting).
Fochlucan Lyrist is a caster-focused class but you have to do some major multiclassing to get in.

All I can come up with off the top of my head.

Leon
2007-06-29, 05:01 PM
DMG
Heirophant, its broadly balanced for Both Clerics and Druids
Thaumaturgist - with a bit of wrangling this could work as well

Stormwrack
Storm Caster: Drops to a D4, loses 1 CL, gains Storm related abilites
Wavekeeper: Some Shapechanging, Very water orintated, loses 1 CL, Compainion continues to advance

Sandstorm
Lord of the Tide: Loses 1 CL, Gains water manipulation skills, elementals summons
Walker in the Waste: Promotes further waste spread, Desiccating abilities, Caps off in Lichdom, Loses 2 CL

Races of Stone
Earth Dreamer: Earth focused, D4 Hd

Lemur
2007-06-29, 05:44 PM
I'm surprised the hunter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid) variant druid from Unearthed Arcana hasn't been mentioned yet. For your non-wildshaping druid needs. Although I can't say that it focuses specifically on spellcasting more than a regular druid.

Duke Malagigi
2007-06-29, 05:52 PM
Well there is a free third party PrC class for Evily aligned primary spellcasters in general and druids in particular. If you want me to bring it up for you I will.

Leon
2007-06-29, 05:55 PM
I'm surprised the hunter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid) variant druid from Unearthed Arcana hasn't been mentioned yet. For your non-wildshaping druid needs. Although I can't say that it focuses specifically on spellcasting more than a regular druid.

Mixing that and the Druidic Avenger is a fun combo