PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion

BelkarIsAGod
2007-06-29, 03:46 PM
Hey. I play Oblivion and I wondered if anyone else did.
If you do, please come in with tips and tricks, maybe how to beat that gladiator with the glass warhammer!(Incoherent mumblings)
Please, no cheats.

Emperor Ing
2007-06-29, 03:48 PM
Heres how I beat everyone
mass potions!!!
Besides, the glass warhammer orc is the LEAST of your problems. One match has you fighting 3 high leveled enemies at once! I wasted 30 potions on that 1 match!

Sereneprophet
2007-06-29, 03:52 PM
Definitely have pots on your side, always a good bet unless you are restorative.

Otherwise I suppose it would help to know what kind of character you are using, since depending on your build things can be "easier" or "harder" depending on what you have at your disposal.

Take me for instance, I have a Khajit who mainly specializes in stealth, so for me the arena can be a beast since I can't use my lovely sneak attack for uber damage. So I usually draw out my bow, and run around like crazy, firing off arrows until they die or I do, applying poisons with impunity.

BelkarIsAGod
2007-06-29, 04:02 PM
I generally play a dark elf/redguard whose major skills are blade, block, destruction, light armor, restoration(A great potion saver), security, sneak, and I can't remember what else. It makes a great custom class that works well in the dark brotherhood, and the thieves, mages, and fighters guilds, too.
Also, in the arena, why do they always turn around when you try to invisibly sneak attack?

Emperor Ing
2007-06-29, 04:06 PM
I go with Argonian (im addicted to those lizards, but theres an anatomical error...female argies have mammary glands! WTF!!! :smalleek: ) With blade, alchemy, sneak, heavy or light armor, (never both) destruction, illusion. Plus, Im the only one who can still dupe glitch! :smallbiggrin:

TheRiov
2007-06-29, 05:18 PM
poisons are incredibly underrated.

Find a good solid combination of Paralyze+Shock+Health damage (or something similar. 2 damages are def the way to go.
Tag with a poisoned arrow. Run. Rinse and repeat.

Poisons don't work so hot on most undead but work fine against living opponents.

Dihan
2007-06-29, 05:59 PM
Poison apples are weightless. Reverse pickpocket them onto people and next time they wake up or eat something, they'll eat the apple and die. Perfect for bounty-free assassinations.

Seraph
2007-06-29, 06:26 PM
master alchemy set + Poison Apple + Rat Poison = incurable death poison

BelkarIsAGod
2007-06-29, 10:48 PM
Poison apples are weightless. Reverse pickpocket them onto people and next time they wake up or eat something, they'll eat the apple and die. Perfect for bounty-free assassinations.

So THAT'S how they work. Thanks.:smallbiggrin:

NEO|Phyte
2007-06-30, 01:49 AM
master alchemy set + Poison Apple + Rat Poison = incurable death poison

Only because of how they work, its an incurable death POTION, so you can't apply it to weapons, unless they fixed/changed that at some point.

JellyPooga
2007-06-30, 09:29 AM
Only because of how they work, its an incurable death POTION, so you can't apply it to weapons, unless they fixed/changed that at some point.

Yeah, that really bummed me out...I spent hours and hours getting my Alchemy skill up to 100 so I could make potions out of 1 ingredient and I'd been saving tons of Poisoned Apples for ages for that single purpose, only to find that I could make a potion (not a poison) that isn't as effective at killing myself as eating the Poisoned Apple itself...not only that, but it was worth a single. gold. piece...aaaaaargh! I spent, like, 200 gold on each of those apples (or something like that anyway). The one really good use for the Alchemy 100 ability and they don't implement it...WHY? I ask you.

EagleWiz
2007-06-30, 09:32 AM
Anyone else have any expansion packs?
I have shivering isles and the 3 fortress type ones

TheRiov
2007-06-30, 10:09 AM
knights of the 9 wasn't a bad one. The armor set has some interesting (good) side effects if you wear it.

I beat the shivering isles pretty quickly, was a little frustrated by the rarity of various matrixes.

Arang
2007-06-30, 01:37 PM
The only good use I can think of for Master Alchemy is the Nirnroot, which has all negative effects (stat drains, I think).

The easiest way to beat the arena is to get obscene Sneak skills and/or Marksman skills, then run/stealth (using Chameleon cheese if necessary) around the arena shooting them without stopping. They'll die eventually.

Am I the only one who noticed the Arena combatants have ridiculous Speed scores? Something like 180 is the average.

BelkarPwnsAll!
2007-06-30, 01:51 PM
Personaly, I havn't played Oblivion, but I've seen a friend play it. He pwned everyone with only using 1 cheat! THE SUPER JUMP HACK!But if I have Oblivion, I would had died over 1,000 times a day!:smalltongue: HAHA! I'M A NEWB!:smallfrown:

Emperor Ing
2007-06-30, 04:10 PM
Hey! Wanna kno a superawesome speed cheat? Works on all systems! Get 4 skooma bottles, and drink them all at once. BAM!!! superspeed for 20 seconds. Trust me...its so worth it!

EagleWiz
2007-06-30, 05:51 PM
There are two real cheats i know.
#1: If you dont have expansions.
Get 2 or more arrows
Get 1 bow
Equip 1 bow and 2 or more arrows
Hold attack
Go to invintory
Select arrows
Drop another item.
You will end up coppying the item.

#2: With expansion packs double click a scroll that you have 2 or more on then drop an item.

Emperor Ing
2007-06-30, 05:53 PM
The infamous dupe glitch, 1 potion, 10 arrows, 10 new potions! :smallbiggrin:

Ya dont really need a bow, it works with every weapon!

BR4life
2007-07-01, 10:58 AM
One fun thing to do is sneak into goblin caves and steal the totem form the shaman. 100% cameleon helps because you dont want to kill the goblins. After you have done that to couple of tribes just give all the staffs to one of your followers and have them wait. Just wait for a little and you get to see a goblin war.

CrazedGoblin
2007-07-01, 11:00 AM
Oblivion rules :smallbiggrin:

EagleWiz
2007-07-01, 12:32 PM
You can kill the goblins, but they respawn.
The best thing to do with the staffs is to have them attack a city.
Just dump them all in the town square.

Emperor Ing
2007-07-01, 12:37 PM
I encountered this random orc in bandit caves and ruins twice, whos labeled as "adventurer". Hes not hostile, but I have never encountered this 'adventurer' before, but i saw him twice in a row in 2 different caves

BelkarIsAGod
2007-07-01, 04:46 PM
I just found this crazy lady called "Umbra". Anyone know what's the deal with that?:smallconfused:

Sereneprophet
2007-07-01, 05:19 PM
Yeah, for one of the Daedric Shrine Quests.

TheRiov
2007-07-02, 07:07 AM
*nod* the Umbra is potentially the best pure damage weapon in the game. (no weapon proc) but dont complete the quest: If you dont do the daedric shrine quest with maxed armorer+Maxed blade its a 33 damage weapon with the delay of just slightly behind a daedric dagger. That puts it ahead of most two-handed weapons. It also has 0 weight so fatigue is less of an issue.

Completing the quest means you get a weighted version. still fast but the added weight makes it lose effectivness.

Emperor Ing
2007-07-02, 07:28 AM
COMMON MISCONCEPTION: Umbra's Ebony Armor is NOT equal to regular ebony, its slightly weaker.
But the sword has soul trap 120 secs, and a LOT of charges. I think that its max dmg is 32.

TheRiov
2007-07-02, 07:42 AM
Umbra+reusuable soul gem=fun for all

Emperor Ing
2007-07-02, 08:13 AM
Azura's star cant hold NPC souls :smallfrown:

Jothki
2007-07-02, 12:29 PM
So I was walking into Skingrad when two dead NPCs fell from the sky. On inspection, one of them was carrying a stolen carrot, which I assume was what lead to them being dead.

If an NPC can die like that, does that mean that they probably weren't that important, and I don't have to worry about being cut out of a quest? I'm fairly sure neither of them started anything.

Emperor Ing
2007-07-02, 03:44 PM
In some towns, there are some NPCs that if you catch them at the right time, they will actively pickpocket someone. The most famous one is City-Swimmer, who steals bread. FOR THE LAST TIME CITY SWIMMER IS A SHE!!! :smallmad:

2nd, go up to a quest-related NPC, and notice that the dialogue icon is a crown. They will fall unconscious, instead of die.

BelkarIsAGod
2007-07-02, 05:07 PM
Not all quest-related people have crowns. The nirnroot guy doesn't, for instance.

CrazedGoblin
2007-07-02, 05:21 PM
I just found this crazy lady called "Umbra". Anyone know what's the deal with that?:smallconfused:

she is a rip off of Umbra from Morrowind, the morrowind version had a backstory and a history she doesent i don't think, but i cant stay 3 mins inside her cave before crashing to desktop :smallmad:

EagleWiz
2007-07-02, 06:45 PM
Ok here are all the facts you need to know about Umbra in Oblivion.
#1: You get the quest from a Dedra Lord (Clauvicus Vile) at level 20 (If you pay 500 gp)
#2: You then go to the town Pells Gate. Some guy tells you that Umbra was his apprentace, she wasn't named umbra but she found a sword named Umbra and left town.
#3: You then have to go in the cave and find her.
#4: Talk to her and she will let you leave without a fight, if you do this you can go talk to clauvicus vile and finish the quest (No reward)
#5: Kill her and take the blade
#6: Go to cluvicus vile shrine. Save your game. Talk to him.
If you give him the sword you get a crummy mask
If you dont you keep the sword
Either way it might lock up.

And Goldbrand is better.
Also you need to do the quest to do the final Dedra Shrine Quest
(Hermonious Motra) You want to do this quest.

JackMage666
2007-07-02, 08:46 PM
I love Oblivion, but it's so hard to play, since I play it on my MacBook. I have to run it through Oldblivion, and even then it crashes so often it's hard sometimes. The arena was ridiculously tough since I couldn't even look tot he sky without crashing. I've done most of the things in the game, But so far the most fun I've had was during the Dark Brotherhood quests. Or, going clothes collecting. I do love some of the clothes in the game (I love the Necromancer robes the most). I also love Springheel Jack's journal (those of you who've done the theives guild understand why).

I think there are a number of huge improvements over Morrowind, aside from the mechanical differences. For instance, I think the writing is alot better. The main quest jumps from nothing to exciting in like no time, and the leveled enemies make it constantly challenging. It's good.

JellyPooga
2007-07-02, 09:43 PM
I didn't like the main quest for Oblivion...you had to be the 'Good Guy'. I would have preferred the option of being Evil and/or Neutral.

Possibly the best thing about the game was the Dark Brotherhood missions...varied, detailed, fun...what more could you want? The other guilds' missions were too 'go fetch, go kill' for my liking (although the last mission for the Thieves Guild was a brilliant piece of work, apart from one really long bit that belonged in a Fighters Guild mission rather than the Thieves Guild).

I see Oblivion much as I saw Morrowind...an exercise in 'what can we do?'. Morrowind was 'How big can we make a game?', Oblivion was 'How detailed can we make a game?'. However, where Morrowind succeeded in making a really big game (any bigger and it may have been unplayably big), I don't think Oblivion was as detailed as it could have been...there were a lot of simplifications from Morrowind (combat skills and magic primarily), for all the details they did put in.

If Oblivion is just a 'stepping stone' to something better, then I'm happy with it, but if it ends there, I'll be a little disappointed...they've come so far, it'd be a shame to stop before the finish line.

Belteshazzar
2007-07-02, 10:32 PM
Oblivion deeply disappointed me after Morrowind. Some of the problems I understand (telekinesis is more useless than ever and gravity gun tactics aren't supported by the poorly implemented havok physics) Levitation and the joys it brought were completely cut because all cities were placed inside of ridiculous loading walls. I don't miss the cliff racers and their silly attacks( I always felt they should do flyby knockdowns and 'then' move in for the kill, like vultures) though.
The lack of people especially the lack of slums, road caravans, and the Imperial 'Legions' (as in thousands not the half a dozen who get their asses handed to them by runty scamps) broke some suspension of belief and made the cities and roads seem empty and sterile.
If they were going to remove availability to spellmaking (which they practically did for all you need to do to access it) then they should have made the spells more interesting.
All in all Oblivion was rushed through production and (I believe) artificially inflated to provide the 360 with a launch title without Halo 3 and it shows.
Some things i did like about the game were the new Mudcrabs, Dark Brotherhood quests, and the powers granted by the stones and quests.
I personally like rewards for my questing and exploration but the fact that everything was leveled to your power not the the relative danger of the location you were in made everything equally risk-less and worthless. Why does it matter that I just found Mitheral armor on a random bandit. In Morrowind such a find was special but here it was a common occurrence after a certain level. Buy the end of the game every random highwayman had a glass weapon and elvish amour not that it mattered because he still died in the same number of hits as the guys in leather 20 levels ago. Wonder were all of them went anyway?

CrazedGoblin
2007-07-03, 02:42 AM
Oblivion deeply disappointed me after Morrowind. Some of the problems I understand (telekinesis is more useless than ever and gravity gun tactics aren't supported by the poorly implemented havok physics) Levitation and the joys it brought were completely cut because all cities were placed inside of ridiculous loading walls. I don't miss the cliff racers and their silly attacks( I always felt they should do flyby knockdowns and 'then' move in for the kill, like vultures) though.
The lack of people especially the lack of slums, road caravans, and the Imperial 'Legions' (as in thousands not the half a dozen who get their asses handed to them by runty scamps) broke some suspension of belief and made the cities and roads seem empty and sterile.
If they were going to remove availability to spellmaking (which they practically did for all you need to do to access it) then they should have made the spells more interesting.
All in all Oblivion was rushed through production and (I believe) artificially inflated to provide the 360 with a launch title without Halo 3 and it shows.
Some things i did like about the game were the new Mudcrabs, Dark Brotherhood quests, and the powers granted by the stones and quests.
I personally like rewards for my questing and exploration but the fact that everything was leveled to your power not the the relative danger of the location you were in made everything equally risk-less and worthless. Why does it matter that I just found Mitheral armor on a random bandit. In Morrowind such a find was special but here it was a common occurrence after a certain level. Buy the end of the game every random highwayman had a glass weapon and elvish amour not that it mattered because he still died in the same number of hits as the guys in leather 20 levels ago. Wonder were all of them went anyway?

i think its quite funny how they change armour, one day they are in rusty iron the next they are in Dwarven armour, but i will allways keep my trusty steel armour, it has got me through many a tought fight, but the crazy physics generator has allowed for some awsome screenshots :smallbiggrin:

Morty
2007-07-03, 04:52 AM
Morrowind is vastly better than Oblivion. Oblivion is simply booooring. MQ in Oblivion is predictable, unoriginal and absolutely linear. Level scaling is one of the dumbest ideas of past 10 years. Regardless of your level, all fights will be the same challenge. Yeah. Bandits who start to wear mithril armor instead of leather and wield elven weapons instead of iron are even better.
MQ in Morrowind was quite interesting and much longer. Guilds in Morrowind were also better, mainly because there were more of them, and there were requirements in skills. These requirements could be fairly annoying at times, but at least they didn't allow orc barbarian to become archmage. Also, you couldn't finish whole guild in two days, as you had to eventually stop and do something else when requirements prevented you from advancing.

Emperor Ing
2007-07-03, 05:17 AM
I really hate it when people compare Oblivion to Morrowind, i mean its easy to make a great game look bad when you compare it to one of the best games of all time. Look at the game without comparing it to morrowind, is it really that bad?

Morty
2007-07-03, 05:24 AM
I really hate it when people compare Oblivion to Morrowind, i mean its easy to make a great game look bad when you compare it to one of the best games of all time. Look at the game without comparing it to morrowind, is it really that bad?

It is. Morrowind isn't really all that great -it's good, sure, but not great- and Oblivion is worse. And even without comparing it to Morrowind, Oblivion gets boring very quickly- after a week or two of playing, I realized that there's nothing more to see in that game. In these two weeks the game was quite fun, but later I deleted it and forgotten about it.

Tekar
2007-07-03, 06:06 AM
It is. Morrowind isn't really all that great -it's good, sure, but not great- and Oblivion is worse. And even without comparing it to Morrowind, Oblivion gets boring very quickly- after a week or two of playing, I realized that there's nothing more to see in that game. In these two weeks the game was quite fun, but later I deleted it and forgotten about it.
QFT. Morrowind is hardly one of the best games ever. It was a nice action RPG with some relatively original ideas and lots of stuff to explore but it had many flaws aswell. With Oblivion they kept the flaws and removed the good stuff... However it still got monster sales because people just keep getting trapped by hype machines. Please people, judge a game for what it is, not what the developper would make you believe it is!

CrazedGoblin
2007-07-03, 12:27 PM
if you want to kill things in one hit when you are high level put the difficulty slider down, i think leveling things up with your character keeps the challenge there, but the annoying downside is money becomes worthless at high level because you could buy a house after raiding a cave of bandits by selling their loot.

Jothki
2007-07-03, 01:30 PM
If you're playing on a computer, it's fairly simple to get a mod that locks the enemy levels in place. It does have the unfortunate side effect of forcing you to do other things instead of the main quest if you want to focus on that, since the enemies don't scale down to you. Kvatch was too tough for me when I first reached it, though I've upgraded my equipment and abilities a bit since then so I might have a chance now. I'm probably going to clear out a few more of the dungeons near the Imperial City first, though.

BelkarIsAGod
2007-07-03, 04:40 PM
If you don't like oblivion, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU POSTING IN THIS THREAD?!

Raiser Blade
2007-07-07, 03:26 PM
i agree with the guy who just posted

anyways i like the last thieves guild quest
i killed so manyguards my bounty was an insane number

Tekar
2007-07-07, 04:23 PM
If you don't like oblivion, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU POSTING IN THIS THREAD?!I tought this was a thread for discussing Oblivion, not praising it. I felt very dissapointed by how Oblivion turned out and since I played the game I tought people might like to hear my opinion as well. That's why I'm posting in this thread, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Mc. Lovin'
2007-07-08, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know where I can find / buy lockpicks? I'm on the last quest recomendation. It's the one where I have to do a prank on someone (at least thats what I know so far). I've been given a spel to unlock very easy locks, but I don't have enough skill in alteration(?) to cast it, and I'm out of lockpicks :(

Thanks for help (if any), and please no spoilers on the current quest that I'm on, or any for that matter :smallbiggrin: .

Arang
2007-07-08, 01:00 PM
There's a guy named Shady Sam hidden in a nook of the wall around the Imperial City. Basically, you fast travel to the stables, face the gate, and follow it to your left (towards the stable buildings). You'll find a guy dressed in black who sells 30 or so lockpicks.

Dragor
2007-07-08, 02:32 PM
There's also the first Thieves Guild Fence you meet who sells lockpicks (and all of the fences after him do, too.)

Emperor Ing
2007-07-08, 04:07 PM
if your level 17+ go to the Nocturnal Shrine, and complete the quest for the ultimate lockpick! :smallbiggrin:

Morty
2007-07-08, 04:11 PM
if your level 17+ go to the Nocturnal Shrine, and complete the quest for the ultimate lockpick! :smallbiggrin:

:smallconfused: Do you mean the shrine to Nocturne? I was able to pick that quest on level 10. The uber-lockpick you get in reward makes every lock in the game passable.

Sereneprophet
2007-07-08, 04:17 PM
I dont think oblivion is one of the best games ever, and always disliked and mainly ignored all the hype, since I thought it was rather stupid.

However, it is still a fun game, at least for me. Perfect? Not at all, but its still an above average game for me, and I like to leave it at that.

Emperor Ing
2007-07-08, 04:26 PM
:smallconfused: Do you mean the shrine to Nocturne? I was able to pick that quest on level 10. The uber-lockpick you get in reward makes every lock in the game passable.

No, i mean "Nocturnal". And your supposed to reciece the quest at level 17, so...huh?

Morty
2007-07-08, 04:31 PM
No, i mean "Nocturnal". And your supposed to reciece the quest at level 17, so...huh?

Alright, so where is that shrine, and what is that quest?

Arang
2007-07-08, 04:41 PM
It's at level 10, the quest involves finding and retrieving the Eye of Nocturnal for Nocturnal (duh), and the shrine can be found on the east bank of the river, north of Leyawiin. I think you can even see it (the shrine itself, not the marker) from the road.

Morty
2007-07-08, 04:44 PM
That's right, but The Randomizer apparently meant something else.

Emperor Ing
2007-07-08, 04:47 PM
No, im right. I know what I meant. Besides, Ive give you a link, but the web site im trying to link to is down. :smallfrown:

Arang
2007-07-08, 05:15 PM
You can take Nocturnal's quest at level 10 and up, unless you're using any mods that change it. I'm absolutely, 100% sure.

Morty
2007-07-09, 04:11 AM
On big site about TES series I'm reading, it says that you can get a quest from Nocturnal(dammit, I could swear it was Nocturne) at 10th level.

Actana
2007-07-09, 04:27 AM
Ah yes, the best quest ever. It really is. Go get it, it helps very much. Perhaps too much. :smallamused:

EDIT: IIRC, go north of Leyawin. Go along the road, the marker should give its position away. You can get the quest there.

Emperor Ing
2007-07-09, 04:38 AM
Ah, your right, ya get the quest at level 10, it was 17 last time I checked (a few months ago) and heres the site i was trying to link to before (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Nocturnal)

BelkarIsAGod
2007-07-13, 12:38 AM
I tought this was a thread for discussing Oblivion, not praising it. I felt very dissapointed by how Oblivion turned out and since I played the game I tought people might like to hear my opinion as well. That's why I'm posting in this thread, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

It's ok, but it can be kind of irritating when someone just picks at a game. Overall, I still like it.

Mc. Lovin'
2007-07-13, 12:05 PM
Hey you guys.

I need serious help. I was turned into a vampire, and being an idiot thought it would be cool and left it. So now I need 5 grand soul gems for the cure, and I can't find any. I searched the arcane university and found two empty ones (which you need). I also found one on a merchant I killed, although I would prefer not to kill him. I can't buy things offa people cus they just shout at me to go away, so it seems my only options are to take them from the mages guild (if there are any) or to cheat, which I'm usually very opposed to, but I will have to restart my charachter if I don't heal this :(, any sudgestions on how to help? Really need it.

Morty
2007-07-13, 12:14 PM
These sould gems can be problematic, I've had troubles with them myself. My advise is to hit Mages' Guilds in every town, they have empty soul gems in cabinets. Merchants can have them too- just drink someone to look less monstrous.

Mc. Lovin'
2007-07-13, 12:43 PM
Thanks, go tthe gems, and now I need the ingredients :smallfurious:

I need 2 bloodgrass, 6 garlic, 5 nightshade leaves, argonian blood and powerful vampire ashes *sigh*

Any help on these? :smallfrown:

Morty
2007-07-13, 01:24 PM
To get the blood, you can just attack some Argonian who likes you with the dagger, and then surrender to him- hold block and press "use". Then pay the guard.
Bloodgrass you can get in Oblivion(if gates are opening), or in alchemist shops. Garlic can be bought in taverns and Nightshade Leaves in alchemist shops. I tried to find Nightshade Leaves n the wilds, but I couldn't find any, despite the fact I encountered them quite often when I wasn't vampire:smallannoyed:
For vampire ashes, doesn't the woman who gives you that quest tell you where to find one?

North
2007-07-17, 02:46 PM
So to the OPs question

The best way Ive found for speeding thru the arena involves the "Bards Tale" style of fighting. This works great for the squishy chars who have a thieves or mage build

Basically I run around in circles summoning a fire imp. Or any other type of summon that involves. Switch to third person view for a better view and holster your weapon so you can run faster. Keep healing when they do manage to nick you. And your summoned minion will wear them down.

I blitzed my way thru most of the arena levels first thing out of the prison sewers. Gave some nice cash to start out with. :) Plus I love how everyone says how your so brave when all I did was run away :D

In later levels once you get an invisiblility spell its even easier. Vanish stab repeat :D

Mc. Lovin'
2007-07-23, 12:09 PM
Anyone know of a decent oblivion Co-op mod?

NEO|Phyte
2007-07-23, 12:18 PM
Anyone know of a decent oblivion Co-op mod?

Co-op? As in, multiplayer?

I haven't checked it in a while, but supposedly multiblivion or whatever they called it had a working beta/alpha, lemme see if I can't find it.
:edit: found it (http://csusap.csu.edu.au/~mloxto01/), the site hasn't been updated since 21/06/2006, quick browsing the forums to see whats going on in there

Mc. Lovin'
2007-07-23, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the help!