PDA

View Full Version : Best spells for Sorcerer (with non material components)

Naanomi
2016-06-18, 12:42 PM
I've played a sorcerer a few time who has no idea about her powers and what she is doing when she casts spells. Verbal and Somatic components can be anything, so pointing and screaming and the like is fine... but material components are specific and... we... arcane.

Someone ignorant in spell casting (but can do it anyways) always seems weird to still be carrying around spider's silk and what not. Ignore Material Component used to help, but doesn't exist in 5e. Focuses are a little bit easier to justify but... what is the best general spell list to build if you refuse to use material components?

My first run at it:
C) Mage Hand, Fire Bolt, Prestidigitation, Shocking Grasp, Frostbite, Mold Earth
1) Shield, Magic Missile, Mage-Armor/Detect Magic
2) Mirror Image, Misty Step
3) Counterspell, Dispel Magic
4) Dimension Door, Greater Invisibility
5) Animate Object, Telekinesis
6) Investiture of Wind / Arcane Gate <--- OPTIONS HERE ARE HORRIBLE?
7) Teleport
8) Dominate Monster
9) Wish

Paeleus
2016-06-18, 03:44 PM
I have a character who is in the same boat, albeit not a full sorcerer (fighter multiclass). I chose Hold Person as one of my spells, even though it has a material component: a piece of iron/steel (can't remember right now, afb). I talked with my dm, and even though he's not too worried about material components with spells, he ruled that my sword fulfills the requirement. I just can't wait until my guy is unarmed and tries to use it only to have it not work. I'm weird like that.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-18, 08:37 PM
I've always hated that Sorcerers and other spontaneous spellcaster even need material components.

They don't cast spells the same way that wizards do and they are supposed to have the magic run through them...

TheFlyingCleric
2016-06-18, 11:55 PM
You could have the sorcerer hoard things apparently at random. They don't know why, but they feel they wouldn't be complete without their collection of bat guano, dead glow worms, makeup, spider silk, bat fur, pieces of tentacle etc.

I doubt that anyone would ask why the crazy screaming sorcerer has all these random bits of animals. And expect a sane reply.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-19, 12:15 AM
You could have the sorcerer hoard things apparently at random. They don't know why, but they feel they wouldn't be complete without their collection of bat guano, dead glow worms, makeup, spider silk, bat fur, pieces of tentacle etc.

I doubt that anyone would ask why the crazy screaming sorcerer has all these random bits of animals. And expect a sane reply.

I view material components like people see PEDs (performance enhancing drugs).

LeBron James is a sorcerer. That dude does some black magic stuff that he pulls out of his butt. He is just that awesome and powerful. That power, speed, and endurance is just a part of who he is.

For other people, specifically other NBA players or someone like me, to get close to that level of power, apeed, or endurance we are going to need a bit of outside help. Some things that allows us to take out natural talent and do more than we ever could without PEDs.

With the fluff of a sorcerer I also don't see why they have a set spell list either but that's another issue all together.

They made a magic system and then shoved everyone under the same magic system even though they don't really fit.

Ashaman
2016-06-19, 10:41 AM
If you pick up one piece of pretty crystal (as an arcane focus) and turn it into a necklace, you can pretty much ignore most material components and still have a huge range of spells available.

Naanomi
2016-06-26, 09:05 AM
Mage Armor has M. Don't forget Meteor Swarm.
So it does... Good thing I was thinking of a dwarfceror anyways I guess

Starsinger
2016-06-26, 09:15 AM
Using an arcane focus instead of a component pouch lets you ignore material components that do not have a listed cost...

Naanomi
2016-06-26, 10:03 AM
Using an arcane focus instead of a component pouch lets you ignore material components that do not have a listed cost...
True, and while it is a little easier to justify; I still don't see someone who has no idea why they can do what they do also knowing they need a 'lucky charm' to do it

Wilko
2016-06-27, 05:13 AM
No reason the character needs to know that they need the focus, spec a crystal, shove it in a necklace they never take off and no one needs to know, you can even have it as a character moment where they lose the focus and realise that they needed it, part of the arc of finding out what they actually are...

Socratov
2016-06-27, 06:08 AM
True, and while it is a little easier to justify; I still don't see someone who has no idea why they can do what they do also knowing they need a 'lucky charm' to do it

I'd liek to direct you to Dombo (except the feather is required for his flight), the use of lucky charms, maybe a locket... hell I have a WMS with Harvey Twoface's coin as a focus.

Joe the Rat
2016-06-27, 07:54 AM
Having it be an old family heirloom works nicely too. For those few spells with M, you just reflexively grab your grandmother's pendant.

For sorcerers, I prefer the arcane focus as just that: a focus to make certain magics easier to channel. You can learn to cast without (still spell), but it takes effort (sorcery points). Take the lucky charm, take the metamagic for when you need to cast without, and wonder why it's so much harder

Naanomi
2016-06-27, 09:00 AM
Yeah but I'm thinking a more reluctant sorcerer... One who doesn't want their powers; and would get rid of the focus if it could let them 'escape their curse'

Although... I suppose I could instead say that the magic happens anyways (as Wild Surges) and the focus just helps 'give control'; a DM might go for that