PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Overweight PC help.

CrackedChair
2016-06-18, 02:31 PM
Alright, so I am making a new character for a new campaign. I decided upon a rather brash High elf Wizard, who pretty much breaks the expectations of all elves being very lithe and thin. She is honestly, somewhere between Obese and Overweight, but I still need to fill out the specifics on the height and weight chart.

Ok, but the chart in the PHB only gives averages for expected height and weight. So Playground, how shall I figure out these numbers? And how would such a character play out in a campaign?

Temperjoke
2016-06-18, 02:40 PM
Do you mean mechanically or just from an RP perspective? Because they are drastically different things. Mechanically, they would have difficulty walking distances, back issues, breathing issues; I'd translate that mechanically as having disadvantage on most checks involving physical actions, if not automatically failing many athletic and dexterity checks. They'd have to pay extra for clothing that fits properly, spend more on food and drink to meet their needs (probably at least pay the equivalent of one step up for their present needs, like living in a modest lifestyle but paying comfortable rates).

If it's just from an RP standpoint, I'd describe it as what I did mechanically, but not actually deal with the mechanical changes.

This is based on experience from working with a dangerously obese coworker for 3 years.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-18, 02:43 PM
Alright, so I am making a new character for a new campaign. I decided upon a rather brash High elf Wizard, who pretty much breaks the expectations of all elves being very lithe and thin. She is honestly, somewhere between Obese and Overweight, but I still need to fill out the specifics on the height and weight chart.

Ok, but the chart in the PHB only gives averages for expected height and weight. So Playground, how shall I figure out these numbers? And how would such a character play out in a campaign?

First off I would make her a Warlock or Sorcerer so that you can break more steretypes.

If wizard than definitely a blade dancer + jump/expiditous retreat for hilarity.

There was a dude in street fighter or Tekken than was really fat but wasn't heavy. Rob I think... Favorite fighter. I lovebjow he can run and jump around.

Outside of that... It is a role-playing thing Not a mechanics thing.

CrackedChair
2016-06-18, 02:52 PM
Actually, making her a Sorcerer might be a bit better to break the mold.

I could do a bit of in between mechanical and roleplaying standpoints. She pretty much does not give a rat's butt about how fat she gets, mainly due to her enduring much from her elvish friends about her weight, so she could pay a lot more for lifestyle expenses, as for ability checks, I pretty much speced her out from her ability scores. High Charisma from her confidence and high wisdom, owing to how hardheaded she is. A dexterity deficit is from her obesity and constitution is obviously high. Strength is a dump stat, and Inteligence is rather average.

She pretty much joined our group just to show everybody else that she is not a useless person, even with her current position in life. As such, I am expecting alot of persuasion checks to be high for her, mainly due to people not taking her seriously, which is something that is really going to tick her off.

Regitnui
2016-06-18, 02:54 PM
A Discworld wizard, eh?

Mechanically, a lower Dexterity and Constitution, and maybe a hit to Charisma. The lower Constitution can translate quite well to low stamina, as mentioned above. Dexterity, self-explanatory. Charisma is an optional one, as there are a fair amount of cases of a jolly fat man (one in particular looms large in the Western world). Strength would be unaffected, as would Intelligence and Wisdom.

RP? Well, complain about having to miss meals, or even the lack of quantity. Demand that the rest of the party do the strenuous tasks, and play up the fact that you could have been living a life of luxury had you stayed in the wizarding academy. Of course, this is a fine line; don't overplay this or you risk irritating the rest of your group. See if you can talk the DM into giving you a bonus on grapple checks; you can just sit on smaller foes, like goblins and kobolds, and hold them in place that way.

However, you're likely going to fail a fair few Concentration checks until you boost it through ASIs. That can reflect your character losing some of the weight and replacing it with muscle.

CrackedChair
2016-06-18, 02:57 PM
A Discworld wizard, eh?

Mechanically, a lower Dexterity and Constitution, and maybe a hit to Charisma. The lower Constitution can translate quite well to low stamina, as mentioned above. Dexterity, self-explanatory. Charisma is an optional one, as there are a fair amount of cases of a jolly fat man (one in particular looms large in the Western world). Strength would be unaffected, as would Intelligence and Wisdom.

RP? Well, complain about having to miss meals, or even the lack of quantity. Demand that the rest of the party do the strenuous tasks, and play up the fact that you could have been living a life of luxury had you stayed in the wizarding academy. Of course, this is a fine line; don't overplay this or you risk irritating the rest of your group. See if you can talk the DM into giving you a bonus on grapple checks; you can just sit on smaller foes, like goblins and kobolds, and hold them in place that way.

However, you're likely going to fail a fair few Concentration checks until you boost it through ASIs. That can reflect your character losing some of the weight and replacing it with muscle.

Oh my god, sitting on goblins to squeeze information out of them is too good to pass up. I seriously better get inspiration if I do that. And your help on this is greatly appreciated. I will model my wizard around these tips.

Seriously, good work.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-18, 03:06 PM
Fair warning... If you have an overweight friend in the party or one with a significant other, friend, or family member who is obese this may be seen as very offensive and can cause out of character conflict.

Even if you are overweight yourself.

CrackedChair
2016-06-18, 03:08 PM
Eh, most of us are pretty much normal weight. I don't think anybody here will be offended.

BrianDavion
2016-06-18, 03:12 PM
maybe but the warnings still a good one. and more importantly, while playing "pointy ears mcfatty!" may sound hilarious, by the 2nd session or so it may start to be well.. boring and tiresome

ChillerInstinct
2016-06-18, 03:15 PM
I'm not sure exactly how you'd work it in terms of game mechanics, but when dealing with bladed weapons and such, fat provides an extra layer of protection that might make the difference between a serious injury and a fatal one. Maybe a built in DR to Slashing damage from daggers and other smaller weapon types (not so much for, say, a Greatsword, but ones with shorter blades)?

Could probably swing some sort of minor cold resistance as well. All depends on what the DM will let you get away with, I guess.

And maybe some sort of Balance trade-off where your lower center of gravity makes you harder to knock down, but in return it takes longer to get up from being knocked prone, etc.

mephnick
2016-06-18, 03:26 PM
One of my favourite characters ever in a book was Kruppe from the Malazan series. He was short, obese and also sly and badass.

He had all these great little character ticks like constantly producing food from hidden pockets and swiping food from serving trays without anyone noticing. His weight was constantly mentioned but it really wasn't what you remembered about the character. I'd say if you make a good, fun character and use her weight to add depth to the experience it could go over really well.

Keltest
2016-06-18, 03:28 PM
You may also want to give consideration as to why theyre overweight. Someone who eats too much and exercises too little probably wont stay overweight for long with an adventurer's lifestyle, but someone with some sort of condition (or curse!) could.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-18, 03:29 PM
I'm now picturing Danny Divito's Penguin as a Ranger who uses dueling atyle.

Belac93
2016-06-18, 03:46 PM
One of my favourite characters ever in a book was Kruppe from the Malazan series. He was short, obese and also sly and badass.

He had all these great little character ticks like constantly producing food from hidden pockets and swiping food from serving trays without anyone noticing. His weight was constantly mentioned but it really wasn't what you remembered about the character. I'd say if you make a good, fun character and use her weight to add depth to the experience it could go over really well.

He is one of my favorite characters, but I think Iskaral Pust might be a better example for this. There aren't as much references to him being obese, but he is a very nonphysical person, and they are both knocked over easily. There are remarkable similarities between the two though.

Regitnui
2016-06-18, 03:47 PM
maybe but the warnings still a good one. and more importantly, while playing "pointy ears mcfatty!" may sound hilarious, by the 2nd session or so it may start to be well.. boring and tiresome

Hence character development; nobody can live the life of.the adventurer for anything more than a few quests and stay fat. I'd recommend your first ASI get spent on +2 Constitution instead of a feat, and around then stop grumbling about food and work. Still bring it up, but less "Why is nobody casting heroes' feast for lunch" and more "Where do these goblins keep their larder? Got to be something good in there."

CrackedChair
2016-06-18, 03:52 PM
You may also want to give consideration as to why theyre overweight. Someone who eats too much and exercises too little probably wont stay overweight for long with an adventurer's lifestyle, but someone with some sort of condition (or curse!) could.

Well, considering her profession and disposition on her lifestyle, it's not really going to change for her anytime soon. So yeah.

I'm not sure exactly how you'd work it in terms of game mechanics, but when dealing with bladed weapons and such, fat provides an extra layer of protection that might make the difference between a serious injury and a fatal one. Maybe a built in DR to Slashing damage from daggers and other smaller weapon types (not so much for, say, a Greatsword, but ones with shorter blades)?

Could probably swing some sort of minor cold resistance as well. All depends on what the DM will let you get away with, I guess.

And maybe some sort of Balance trade-off where your lower center of gravity makes you harder to knock down, but in return it takes longer to get up from being knocked prone, etc.

Hopefully my DM will take some of these things into consideration. The Campaign setting does not have much cold areas to think of, being mostly a coastal area that is pretty warm all year. I have a mind to have her really whine and complain about the temperature.

Hehe, sure. I'm going to really make a mind to make her character fit in with the campaign, so he will still be roasting kobolds and such.

I still want her to sit on somebody to get information out of somebody, durnit.

Hence character development; nobody can live the life of.the adventurer for anything more than a few quests and stay fat. I'd recommend your first ASI get spent on +2 Constitution instead of a feat, and around then stop grumbling about food and work. Still bring it up, but less "Why is nobody casting heroes' feast for lunch" and more "Where do these goblins keep their larder? Got to be something good in there."

Sure thing. She will still be rather big as the adventure goes on, but adventuring could tone her up some, replacing some fat with muscle.

ChillerInstinct
2016-06-18, 03:53 PM
Another logical weakness would be falling damage. Force = mass x velocity after all. Let's say you're looking at, I dunno, a 350 pound character compared to a 200 pound party member, if they drop the same distance at roughly the same speed, the larger character would hit the ground with more force.

I'd probably go something along the lines of 1.25-1.5x falling damage. Coincidentally, since you've announced your intention to be a Wizard, this would be a hilarious opportunity to literally throw your character's weight around. As in, Flight-assisted flying press.

CrackedChair
2016-06-18, 03:56 PM
Another logical weakness would be falling damage. Force = mass x velocity after all. Let's say you're looking at, I dunno, a 350 pound character compared to a 200 pound party member, if they drop the same distance at roughly the same speed, the larger character would hit the ground with more force.

I'd probably go something along the lines of 1.25-1.5x falling damage. Coincidentally, since you've announced your intention to be a Wizard, this would be a hilarious opportunity to literally throw your character's weight around. As in, Flight-assisted flying press.

Even more opportunity for inspiration! I got a feeling this is going to be my favorite character made yet...

Regitnui
2016-06-18, 04:03 PM
As in, Flight-assisted flying press.

Dismiss feather fall about five feet above an enemy's head, ask the DM to adjudicate whether they got knocked prone and grappled or are now incapacitated.

Spiryt
2016-06-18, 04:04 PM

Is there a difference in falling damage between a halfling and an orc though?

Would be even more logical, but I don't think that any D&D edition had ever bothered with such things ever.

Hrugner
2016-06-18, 04:05 PM
Why make their con high if they're heavy in an unhealthy way (overweight/obese)? Not only are you less likely to have the general endurance that comes from con checks, but disease risk and wound healing are also more problematic with obesity. I'd dump both con and dex if they're truly obese.

Knaight
2016-06-18, 04:10 PM

For height and weight, one option would be to use BMI charts. Overweight-Obese is the 25-30 range, standard is 20-25, and while BMI is a bit of a sketchy indicator and adventurers are exactly the sort of people most likely to throw it off (the things that apply to professional athletes also apply to most martial classes), you could still get an elf standard. Figure out the standard BMI, bump it up by 5, and figure out the mass needed.

For the hypothetical standard elf, we have a base height of 4'6", and a base weight of 95 pounds (average of wood and high elves). Height modifiers average an additional 11", bringing them to 5'5". Weight modifier averages 5 pounds/extra inch, for 55 extra pounds that gets an even 150 average. That is a standard BMI of 25.0, or high average. So, figure out what works for 30, which is height dependent.

Sure, and then that same force gets divided by more mass on deceleration, which gets you effectively the same overall deceleration. Air resistance differences are negligible (which is what protects most small things falling), so this doesn't make much sense from a simulation perspective. It makes even less sense when you remember that falling damage isn't effected by equipment, so you're taking more damage falling than someone of average weight wearing heavy armor.

ChillerInstinct
2016-06-18, 04:34 PM
Sure, and then that same force gets divided by more mass on deceleration, which gets you effectively the same overall deceleration. Air resistance differences are negligible (which is what protects most small things falling), so this doesn't make much sense from a simulation perspective. It makes even less sense when you remember that falling damage isn't effected by equipment, so you're taking more damage falling than someone of average weight wearing heavy armor.

True. I keep forgetting that encumbrance isn't actually a factor in these things. >_<

Dismiss feather fall about five feet above an enemy's head, ask the DM to adjudicate whether they got knocked prone and grappled or are now incapacitated.

Intimidate Check: If you don't tell me what you know, I'll have no choice but to make you talk. I have the ability to Jump several dozen feet in the air, bolstered by the Jump spell I currently have applied. My Priest friend here happens to have Hold Person prepared today, so you will not be running away, yes? By my calculations you will have roughly ten seconds before 400 pounds of High Elf lands directly on the crown of your frail Gnomish skull. Care to wager who will suffer more from such a collision?

Truly, Wizard-assisted wrestling is the gift that keeps on giving.

Temperjoke
2016-06-18, 04:43 PM
I'd be careful about the whole jumping thing. It's not a good thing for the 400 lbs. person to fall, they are more likely to hurt themselves than they are the enemy, again experience with a coworker talking.

RickAllison
2016-06-18, 05:12 PM
Be in a caster class that can get Enlarge and make her enormous, then back it up with a decent strength score (and armor proficiency) and Athletics. A Bard would be great for this, actually. Then, have her jump on to massive beasts so her sheer encumbrance inflicts penalties!

Temperjoke
2016-06-18, 05:17 PM
Be in a caster class that can get Enlarge and make her enormous, then back it up with a decent strength score (and armor proficiency) and Athletics. A Bard would be great for this, actually. Then, have her jump on to massive beasts so her sheer encumbrance inflicts penalties!

I confess, I had to read this twice.

I blame binge-reading manga all afternoon.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-18, 05:39 PM
Eh, most of us are pretty much normal weight. I don't think anybody here will be offended.

Stunned. I've never played a D&D game where most players aren't totally overweight, and I say this being overweight myself. Nerds spend a lot of time eating at the computer.

CrackedChair
2016-06-18, 05:52 PM
Stunned. I've never played a D&D game where most players aren't totally overweight, and I say this being overweight myself. Nerds spend a lot of time eating at the computer.

We are a rare species, yes.

pwykersotz
2016-06-18, 05:56 PM

4 of my 6 players are super skinny. But yeah, my keyboard would have crumbs in it if I didn't clean it decently regularly. :smalltongue:

CrackedChair
2016-06-18, 06:10 PM
I've decided on the general idea of the character in question.

-----

Alright, our elf, named Lorara, was born to a family of elven nobles. She was not very wise in making decisions, not to mention that she was rather lazy, and ended up putting on weight. When her 40th birthday arrived, she was around 312.1 lbs and 5' 5', and was constantly teased about it. She honestly did not care, but still could not escape the family tradition of learning the ways of magic. Eventually, she got sick of all the teasing and the stress of her life already and left with a bunch of dudes with swords, alongside a cleric who has the hots for her. (Our Party). She wanted to make something of herself, despite the fact that she is the least ideal of elves when it comes to our world.

-----

Mr.Moron
2016-06-18, 06:49 PM
I can't imagine an overweight PC would remain overweight for long. Adventurers do a lot of overland marching and spend a lot of time on physical intensive activities. I'd imagine even spell casting is pretty caloric, given the amount of energy you have to channel/control while doing so. You're also subsisting on a limited supply of field rations and foraged food.

Even if you started as "Her Ladyship Pudgius Bloatmire with as many chins as limbs", you'd be down to a healthy weight after half a year out there. I mean you want to maintain your gloriously gelatinous physique you're going to have to be spending twice the money and more importantly storage space food.

EDIT

-----

Alright, our elf, named Lorara, was born to a family of elven nobles. She was not very wise in making decisions, not to mention that she was rather lazy, and ended up putting on weight. When her 40th birthday arrived, she was around 321.1 lbs and 4' 11', and was constantly teased about it. She honestly did not care, but still could not escape the family tradition of learning the ways of magic. Eventually, she got sick of all the teasing and the stress of her life already and left with a bunch of dudes with swords, alongside a cleric who has the hots for her. (Our Party). She wanted to make something of herself, despite the fact that she is the least ideal of elves when it comes to our world.

-----

Holy crap! That's a bit extreme man. That's way more than somewhere between "Overweight and Obese", she was obese 150lbs ago. At that weight & height her joints probably gave out years ago. A human skeleton with a good 7" on her can barely support that kind of weight, I can't imagine an elf would even be able move with those dimensions.

CrackedChair
2016-06-18, 07:00 PM
I can't imagine an overweight PC would remain overweight for long. Adventurers do a lot of overland marching and spend a lot of time on physical intensive activities. I'd imagine even spell casting is pretty caloric, given the amount of energy you have to channel/control while doing so. You're also subsisting on a limited supply of field rations and foraged food.

Even if you started as "Her Ladyship Pudgius Bloatmire with as many chins as limbs", you'd be down to a healthy weight after half a year out there. I mean you want to maintain your gloriously gelatinous physique you're going to have to be spending twice the money and more importantly storage space food.

EDIT

Holy crap! That's a bit extreme man. That's way more than somewhere between "Overweight and Obese", she was obese 150lbs ago. At that weight & height her joints probably gave out years ago. A human skeleton with a good 7" on her can barely support that kind of weight, I can't imagine an elf would even be able move with those dimensions.

Hmm... right... I am sorry, I am bad at physics or somesuch.

So eh, taller it is then. She is now around 5' 6'', so a foot taller. Those bones have been relieved a bit

Belac93
2016-06-18, 07:22 PM

No surprise. This is D&D we're talking about, the laws of physics are pretty much the equivalent of wet toilet paper, and our characters are paper shredders.

Hrugner
2016-06-18, 07:22 PM

I don't know, if she ate a few handfuls of goodberries every day she could probably keep the weight on.

RickAllison
2016-06-18, 07:27 PM

So eh, taller it is then. She is now around 5' 6'', so a foot taller. Those bones have been relieved a bit

That's one of the reasons why I like the strong, Athletic caster so much. It reflects that though she looks covered in fat, it is really just hiding her muscles.

Her Con could still be low, so she wouldn't have endurance.

lunaticfringe
2016-06-18, 07:39 PM
Malady: Maladies function like Diseases but are based on a character's habits or by environmental factors and thus can never cured permanently by Spells such as Lesser Restoration. Basically it's a purely roleplay thing that a player can change by working with the DM and changing the character's in game habits. Things like:

Obesity
Smoker's Cough
Black Lung (coal miner)
various Addictions (this never comes up in my groups so I honestly have no idea if 5e has addiction rules)

That way you can impose a penalty on specific checks while avoiding a blanket penalty to a stat. Obesity I would do a penalty to athletics and saves for fatigue/exhaustion. The more you weigh the more energy you expend during physical activity.

Hooligan
2016-06-18, 07:50 PM
http://www.aspirebariatrics.com/about-the-aspireassist/

lunaticfringe
2016-06-18, 07:57 PM
http://www.aspirebariatrics.com/about-the-aspireassist/

That's just creepy. It's basically purging that won't mess up your teeth, instead you have a hole in your body. Sorry if anyone has one.

Regitnui
2016-06-19, 12:49 AM
Truly, Wizard-assisted wrestling is the gift that keeps on giving.

May I sig this?

I'd also like to hold up my "skinny geek" card. I know more thin geeks than fat ones. In fact, a number of said geeks are in serious relationships or married with kids, so double down on busting nerd stereotypes.

ChillerInstinct
2016-06-19, 01:07 AM
May I sig this?

I'd also like to hold up my "skinny geek" card. I know more thin geeks than fat ones. In fact, a number of said geeks are in serious relationships or married with kids, so double down on busting nerd stereotypes.

Technically it was my quote, but yeah, go for it.

For what little it matters, I'm definitely one of the chubbier types of nerd, though I've also had height on my side so I'm not one of those "short and stout" types. Just plain... big. XD I guess you could say some of my viewpoints in this thread have been based on experience (though, thankfully, NOT the "extra fat cushions knife wounds" type)

Knaight
2016-06-19, 02:09 AM
May I sig this?

I know more skinny ones than fat ones, but I wouldn't consider fat the entirety of the stereotype. It's more of being either pretty heavy, or skinny in a way better described as scrawny than toned. With that caveat, it gets a bit more comprehensive. I've known a couple of geeks who were also athletes or who just spent a lot of time in gyms, but they are very much the exception.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-06-19, 02:27 AM

For being between overweight and obese by human standards: around 86 kg (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmi-m.htm) at a height of 1.70 meter. In other words: the party barbarian easily has 20 kg on her, and if she fell on the fighter he'd still catch her relatively gracefully. (The barbarian would let her fall and laugh at her, but he'd do that no matter what she weights.)

Speaking as someone of roughly the same BMI but a larger height: yes, I'm fat, and I could probably interrogate someone by sitting on them, but that's total weight, strength and judo experience, not BMI itself. I wouldn't be too impressed if someone tried to squash me with their mighty 90 kilo's, no matter how much of it is blubber. If you want to play up how heavy she is you're going to have to make her a lot more obese, or a lot taller.

EDIT: Right, learn to read the entire topic before you say something Lvl 2. She is no longer borderline obese but rather has a BMI of 52 now. I could pretty much eat a person, step on the scales before going to the bathroom and still not be that heavy. So yeah, forget any comparisons I made. And that's for the 5'5" and 312.1 pounds, the first attempt had a BMI of 65, I could eat my evil twin and still not be that big. You're going to need a bigger expert.

Regitnui
2016-06-19, 02:37 AM
We're talking about sitting on Small races, like goblins and kobolds, not Medium races. We're talking a substantial different in weight between the ideal BMI of a halfling and an elf, let alone if the naturally bigger race was above average in weight. I will agree with you that it wouldn't work on a fellow Medium race, though.

Ruslan
2016-06-19, 02:42 AM
A Discworld wizard, eh?

Carry a small folding chair. Once seated, try to never get up, not even if your life depended on it. Let Summoned Monsters, Invisible Servants, Tenser's Disks and Mage Hands do all the hard work. Special bonus if you can go through an entire combat while sitting down.

RyumaruMG
2016-06-19, 03:09 AM
Having read through this topic, OP, I am now picturing your character as the D&D Elf equivalent of Ellie from Borderlands 2 and it is awesome.

Knaight
2016-06-19, 04:00 AM
Speaking as someone of roughly the same BMI but a larger height: yes, I'm fat, and I could probably interrogate someone by sitting on them, but that's total weight, strength and judo experience, not BMI itself. I wouldn't be too impressed if someone tried to squash me with their mighty 90 kilo's, no matter how much of it is blubber. If you want to play up how heavy she is you're going to have to make her a lot more obese, or a lot taller.

The height is the big thing. I know one person who could probably pull that off by weight alone, and while yeah, they're fat, a bigger part of it is how they're pushing 7 feet tall. I'm a big guy (about 1.9 meters), I'm pretty sure this guy could grab one of me in each hand and toss us both a good ten feet. For a comparatively short elf though, even being really fat only gets them so heavy.

CrackedChair
2016-06-19, 12:23 PM
Ok, we played out the first part of the campaign if my character, and it wet very smoothly. I played out the necessary tips to keep in mind with a overweight PC and as such, it captured very well.

And yes, I did get inspiration for sitting on a goblin that will not fess up about some information. I am gonna cherish this moment.

Regitnui
2016-06-19, 12:36 PM
And yes, I did get inspiration for sitting on a goblin that will not fess up about some information. I am gonna cherish this moment.

I said it would be awesome!

Klorox
2016-06-19, 06:26 PM
The only mechanical thing I'd do is add the excess weight on as gear (the fat character might move more slowly or be encumbered).

Adding exhaustion levels or disadvantage on physical skills is just excessive: we're trying to have fun, right?

Slipperychicken
2016-06-20, 01:56 AM
When I want to play a character who's overweight, I mark down his weight as higher, and I might not put such a high score in constitution. After that, all you need is roleplay.

For an elf, I'd count normal human weight as overweight, and overweight-human weight as obese. Obviously she might not look fat by human standards, but elves would notice. I actually consider that a big reason why elves see themselves as superior to humans: Humans are fat, clumsy, and stupid in comparison.

As for "the adventuring lifestyle", I find that my PCs tend to adventure for about a month at a time, then return to a less-active life (downtime) for a few months to a year until the next adventure happens. It depends on the DM, but that's plenty of time to get the weight back.

Lombra
2016-06-20, 05:07 AM
Mechanically I'd give her disadvantage on athletics and acrobatics checks, halve the walking speed and carrying capacity if you are going the obese way.

It's not a good choice to not be fit for adventuring.

If these things are not a concern, make her eat and sleep a lot and make her avoid physical tasks of any kind. A perfect lazy-fat-girl.

And she could often use the excuse:"It's not my fault, it's the fact that I have big bones that make me look fat".