PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Gunslinger Deed confusion

Alphasez
2016-06-18, 04:33 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed...

Does the Gunslinger need to choose his deeds, or does he have access to all as long as he has a grit point? I see a lot of people stating they have access to all as long as they are the appropriate level.

The confusion is where it lists "Deeds" on the level progression chart at 1st, 3rd, and every 4th level thereafter. Why list it if they have access to all anyway?
And also, the level 20 Gunslinger ability says "choose 2 deeds that the gunslinger has access to.." Why use the verbage of "has access to", if at 20th level they have access to all anyway?

Thanks in advance!

Geddy2112
2016-06-18, 04:53 PM
Gunslingers do not choose deeds. They get access to any deed they meet for level requirement. Some deeds are only active so long as the gunslinger has a grit point, but the gunslinger still has them even if they have no grit. Some deeds require the gunslinger to spend grit, but they still know them at the level they get them.

I think the wording for gunslinger was to prevent any future feats or classes that have deeds(like swashbuckler) from auto qualifying from the capstone power. But it means the gunslinger can choose any deed they know.

Firest Kathon
2016-06-18, 04:58 PM
The gunslinger does not need to choose their deeds (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/gunslinger#TOC-Deeds) in advance, they have access to all deeds that their level allows to use (same as e.g. Bardic Performances for a Bard). The entries in the table show the levels where new deeds become available (e.g. Gunslinger Initiative, Pistol-Whip and Utility Shot at 3rd, Dead Shot, Startling Shot and Targeting at 7th etc.).

At 20th level, the Gunslinger chooses two deeds and reduces their Grit point cost. The language has been chosen because archetypes may modify the deeds available to the Gunslinger (e.g. Musket Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/gunslinger/archetypes/paizo---gunslinger-archetypes/musket-master) replaces Gunslinger's Dodge, so the latter could not be chosen for the True Grit ability).

Necroticplague
2016-06-18, 06:59 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed...

Does the Gunslinger need to choose his deeds, or does he have access to all as long as he has a grit point? I see a lot of people stating they have access to all as long as they are the appropriate level.
He qualifies for all deeds that he is of high enough level for. Some can be used grit-free, even.

The confusion is where it lists "Deeds" on the level progression chart at 1st, 3rd, and every 4th level thereafter. Why list it if they have access to all anyway?
That;s because all Deeds are level-locked. The class progression chart indicates a new level of deeds. I.e, at first lelvel, it says "deeds" because you get access to Deadeye, Gunslinger's Dodge, and Quick clear, while it says it at level 3 because that's when you get Dead Shot, Gunslinger's Initiative, and Pistol-whip.

And also, the level 20 Gunslinger ability says "choose 2 deeds that the gunslinger has access to.." Why use the verbage of "has access to", if at 20th level they have access to all anyway?

Thanks in advance!

Because Archetypes can modify what deeds you have access to by swapping out some deeds for others, while some feats can give you access to more deeds. So if you picked up Ricochet Shot Deed, you could apply True Grit to that, while a gunslinger without the feat couldn't (as without the feat, you don't have access to the deed). Consider a good form of idiot-proofing against people taking it for Archetype or Feat deeds they don't have.

Alphasez
2016-06-20, 03:22 PM
Thanks everyone, that clears it up.