Bob_the_Mighty
2007-06-29, 04:43 PM
Size/Type: Large Construct
Hit Dice: 11d10+30 (90)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 50ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 21 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +13 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+22
Attack: Slam +17 Melee (2d8+15 plus launching slam)
Full Attack: Slam +17 Melee (2d8+15 plus launching slam)
Space/Reach: 10ft./10ft.
Special Attacks: Slam, spring barage, launching slam, extending limbs
Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction 10/adamantine, damage reduction 15/slashing or piercing, darkvision 60ft., immunity to magic, low-light vision, rebound blows,
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +3
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 9, Con --, Int --, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: Jump +20
Feats: Mantis Leap (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Mantis_Leap,SF)
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or gang (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: None
Alignment: Alsays Neutral
Advancement: 12-18 HD (Large) 20-27 HD (Huge)
LA: --

A spring golem is an odd construct made almost entirely of springs. The torso and head of a spring golem are made of many small springs, pressed tightly against a steel core and held in place by magic. The arms and legs of the golem are each made from one long spring.

Combat:
Spring Barage (Ex): When a spring golem is destroyed, the magic pressing the springs to the core at the torso and head of the golem disipates and the springs fly outward from the core. Creatures adjecent to the golem take 5d6 points of damage with no save as the springs hit them and pierce their skin, while other creatures within a 15 ft. radius are allowed a Reflex save (DC 10 + golems HD + golems Strength modifier) for half damage.

Launching Slam (Ex): When a spring golem hits with its slame attack, the target must make an opposed Strength check versus the golems Strength or be launched back 5 ft. and fall prone. The golems recieves a +4 bonus to this check.

Extending Limbs (Ex): A spring golem may stretch out his limbs when making a slam attack. This allows him to strike creatures up to 5 ft. out of his reach for half damage. Launching Slam is not applied to attacks made this way.

Pounce: If a spring golem charges it can make a full attack

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A spring golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

A magical attack that deals electricity damage slows a spring golem (as the slow spell) for 3 rounds, with no saving throw.

A magical attack that deals fire damage breaks any slow effect on the golem and heals 1 point of damage for each 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. A spring golem receives no saving throw against fire effects.

An spring golem is affected normally by rust attacks, such as that of a rust monster or a rusting grasp spell.

Rebound Blows (Ex): Any creature who hits a spring golem with a melee attack must make a DC 15 Strength check or take damage equal to the damage dice for the weapon used to make the attack as the weapon rebounds off of the golem back at the attacker.

Skills: Spring golems receive a +10 racial bonus on jump checks

Construction:
A spring golem's body must be crafted from at least 2,500 pounds of iron, smelted with rare metals and alloys worth at least 1000 gp. Assembling the body requires a DC 16 Craft (Trapmaking) check or a DC 16 Craft (Clockwork) check.

CL 10; Craft Construct, expeditious retreat, gea/quest, limited wish, caster must be at least 10th level; Price 35,000 gp; Cost 18,500 gp + 1400 XP

If anyone sees any mistakes or thinks any changes should be made, please tell me about them.

Bob_the_Mighty
2007-06-29, 08:01 PM
I don't know if this is necesary, but here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10520) a link to the first thread.

jindra34
2007-06-30, 09:01 AM
sinse it does not get additional attacks on full attack why give it pounce?

Anxe
2007-06-30, 09:15 AM
I can imagine this golem attacking my party with the Looney Tunes soundtrack playing in the background. Mitp: Yes

Poppatomus
2007-06-30, 09:21 AM
I like it. Every thing I was hoping it would have when I openend the thread is there, and more, plus I feel it would be a great encounter. Mitp vote: Yes

Jindra's right though. I think that, if you want pounce to work mechanically without giving the creature another attack, you should allow it to make two attacks with its Extended limbs, in addition to its launching slam, if it successfully charges. If your worried about that being too powerful, make it so that none of the three attacks can be directed at the same target.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-30, 09:26 AM
Quite a unique idea. MitP: Yes

adanedhel9
2007-06-30, 09:54 AM
You should specify the touch and flat-footed AC's on the AC line. They are 8 and 21, respectively.

Since it only has one attack, it should deal 1.5 * strength damage on it, so the slam should be 2d8+15.

The Full Attack line should look the same as the Attack line. (Assuming it only has one attack.)

There's no reason to specify Slam as a special attack.

You can simplify bludgeoning resistance by making it damage reduction 15/slashing or piercing.

Mantis leap should be marked as a bonus feat. (What book is this from? The name doesn't sound familiar.)

The DC on spring barrage seems to be arbitrary. Save DC's nearly always follow the formula 10 + 1/2 HD + ability modifier. If you choose to use this formula, you should specify in the text of the ability which ability modifier you chose. This way, anyone who advances your golem can work out what the new save DC is.

I'd say CR should be 10.

I like it. I could definitely see them roaming the halls of one species of Dwarf in my campaign world.

MitP Vote: Yes

CabbageTheif
2007-06-30, 09:58 AM
all i could think of was this
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EZL6RGkPjws

i agree with popotamous about having two attacks. although i like the balance and i dont want to see it changes, i am wondering about the motivation to have electricity slow it down.

MITP: YES

KingGolem
2007-06-30, 03:11 PM
Hmm, I've statted quite a few golems in my time (I started a thread on the WotC forums dedicated to making new ones (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=633415), thus forming the bulk of my ego-pad on those forums :smallcool: ) and the only real thing that strikes me about this golem is the construction of the physical body. Behold:

Construction:
A spring golem's body must be crafted from at least 2,500 pounds of iron, smelted with rare metals and alloys worth at least 1000 gp. Assembling the body requires a DC 14 Craft (Trapmaking) check or a DC 14 Craft (Locksmithing) check.

CL 10; Craft Construct, expeditious retreat, gea/quest, limited wish, caster must be at least 10th level; Price 35,000 gp; Cost 18,500 gp + 1400 XP

Now, observe the bolded and underlined section. I think that the DC should be changed to either 15 or 16, and that the skills should be Craft (Trapmaking) or Craft (Clockwork) (or mechanical, if you prefer to call it that). Yes, perhaps it's just a minor nitpick, but still, traps have plenty of springs, while archaic locks do not (I think so, I only vaguely remember how they work). Anyway, change that, and you've earned yourself a

Xuincherguixe
2007-06-30, 10:33 PM
all i could think of was this
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EZL6RGkPjws

i agree with popotamous about having two attacks. although i like the balance and i dont want to see it changes, i am wondering about the motivation to have electricity slow it down.

MITP: YES

I was thinking why not just make it an animated slinky :P (I don't know enough about the game to say if it's balanced or not, but I like it)

Bob_the_Mighty
2007-07-01, 12:44 AM
sinse it does not get additional attacks on full attack why give it pounce?Because I wasn't thinking. I'll change that.

You should specify the touch and flat-footed AC's on the AC line. They are 8 and 21, respectively.I'll fix that.

Since it only has one attack, it should deal 1.5 * strength damage on it, so the slam should be 2d8+15.Your right, I'll fix that, too.

The Full Attack line should look the same as the Attack line. (Assuming it only has one attack.)All right.

You can simplify bludgeoning resistance by making it damage reduction 15/slashing or piercing.I'll do that.

Mantis leap should be marked as a bonus feat. (What book is this from? The name doesn't sound familiar.)Where does a bonus feats line go, again?

Mantis Leap is from Sword and Fist. It was linked in the old thread, but the link didn't copy when I moved it. I'll put that back in.

although i like the balance and i dont want to see it changes, i am wondering about the motivation to have electricity slow it down.The iron golem has the same thing. I figured that the materials used to make them were similar enough that It'd apply to both of them.

The DC on spring barrage seems to be arbitrary. Save DC's nearly always follow the formula 10 + 1/2 HD + ability modifier. If you choose to use this formula, you should specify in the text of the ability which ability modifier you chose. This way, anyone who advances your golem can work out what the new save DC is.I'll change that, using strength for the save.

I think that the DC should be changed to either 15 or 16, and that the skills should be Craft (Trapmaking) or Craft (Clockwork) (or mechanical, if you prefer to call it that). Yes, perhaps it's just a minor nitpick, but still, traps have plenty of springs, while archaic locks do not (I think so, I only vaguely remember how they work).Thank you very much. The only reason I didn't have this done almost a year ago was that I couldn't think of any skills for the construction, and never had the motivation to think them up until last night. Lockmaking was the only other skill I could come up with that would be even remotely close to involving springs, but clockwork seems like a much better choice. I'll change that.

Thanks to everyone for their input and compliments. I didn't know it would be so well-liked.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-07-30, 07:48 PM
There are several spelling mistakes that need to be corrected, but I like the concept. MitP Vote: Yes.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-30, 08:12 PM
MitP Vote: YES.

Very original concept; a Slinky Golem. I like it.

DracoDei
2007-07-31, 12:39 AM