PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Cordon of Arrows Optimizatioin

Belac93
2016-06-18, 11:17 PM
I love this spell. Level 2, takes an action and 2 pieces of ammunition for every spell level, and then damages enemies who go within 30 feet for 1d6 damage, and for 8 hours. This is awesome for so many characters. So, I'm going to make a character who revolves around stuff like this.

So, the spell is a ranger spell, right? Nah, I'll go bard for full casting. Start as a half elf with bonuses to dexterity and constitution. Make the stereotypical archer bard, using a hand crossbow, become a lore bard, make sure to take hold person, nothing else really matter at this point.

At level 6, take whatever magical secrets you want, and cordon of arrows. The thing about this spell, is that it is so cool! So, lets assume you just got it, you are a level 6 bard. After every time you rest, expend all your spell slots on cordon of arrows, maybe saving one for hold person. Say you decide to rest in your room after a non-stressful day in town, but you got a death threat. You cast this spell 6 times, for a total of 30 bolts, 6 shots every turn, and each one deals 1d6 damage. If you have hold person as well, its only 5 per round, and 26 bolts, but if they get affected by the spell, they are automatically hit by the arrows (auto fail dex saves).

I can just imagine a level 20 bard. A person in a foppish hat, sleeping in the middle of the woods, with 170 arrows positioned neatly around them. Anything that comes near immediately gets 18 crossbow bolts to the face. Assuming a +2 dex modifier, that is an average of 56 damage every round, without you even having to be awake.

Plaguescarred
2016-06-19, 07:40 AM
In the woods the spell would end quickly with all the animals and insects around since any creatures that comes within 30 feet of the arrows fire them :)

Inevitability
2016-06-19, 01:12 PM
In the woods the spell would end quickly with all the animals and insects around since any creatures that comes within 30 feet of the arrows fire them :)

Just make the spell ignore all animals smaller than a wolf or something like that.

Shining Wrath
2016-06-20, 12:22 PM
Just make the spell ignore all animals smaller than a wolf or something like that.

Such as, say, a ... STIRGE? J'accuse!

gfishfunk
2016-06-20, 12:48 PM

The roving band of rabid gnomes likes this plan.

RyumaruMG
2016-06-20, 01:00 PM

This was my concern upon reading the spell; how can I trust my security system when it's going to murder squirrels?

Fighting_Ferret
2016-06-20, 03:26 PM
The spell also doesn't detect friend or foe... unless you specifically say so... also it only fires 1 piece of ammunition per turn, not all of them.

Belac93
2016-06-20, 06:18 PM
The spell also doesn't detect friend or foe... unless you specifically say so... also it only fires 1 piece of ammunition per turn, not all of them.

Yes, but you can cast it multiple times. They are individual spells covering an area, it makes sense they would overlap.

Mellack
2016-06-20, 08:56 PM
So you need to keep it from attacking small critters to keep from killing squirrels, so that leaves you vulnerable to things like poisonous snakes, swarms and other such. If the opponent is ranged, they can easily avoid a 30' range. Seems good for a room protection though, unless they are a sniper type.

Actually, it might depend on the room size and DM ruling. The spell says it triggers on entry within 30'. Would it trigger when someone walks down the hall or enters the next room, hitting the wall? You might need to always get the presidential suite so you have enough space.