PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Guisarme and attacks of opportunity [3.5]

KernelKertz
2016-06-19, 01:40 AM
So, I'm trying to make a zone-control Crusader, but I'm trying to use a guisarme/flail combo because I'm hesitant to burn a feat to get the spiked chain. However, the more I think about the mechanics of attacks of opportunity the more I think the guisarme doesn't work.

Let's say an enemy is running at me and ends up in an adjacent square. I have 1 real question and a few clarifying questions to accommodate the first:

1. If they only provoke an AoO as they leave a threatened space, aren't they already inside my guisarme-is-useless radius by the time I can resolve my AoO? In other words, does the guisarme's 5-10ft reach restrictions initiate an AoO that the guisarme can't resolve?

2. In the scenario above where they run at me and my guisarme ends up being useless, which of the following (if any) are viable options to trip using the AoO?

- Use a free drop-guisarme action and a move draw-weapon action to switch to my flail and attack
- Take a 5 ft step and attack with the guisarme
- Use an unarmed trip attack

Along those lines, does using an unarmed trip for that AoO provoke its own AoO?

I'm really resisting getting the spiked chain, but if my hunch is correct it's the only weapon that intersects the three points I want of reach, attacks of opportunity, and tripping. I guess there's a reason why ALL of the forums just say burn the feat and get the chain.

Please prove me wrong.

erikun
2016-06-19, 04:37 AM
You might be overthinking the situation.

An AoO "triggers" and happens when something leaves a threatened space, and so occurs before the movement is completed. If a character is using a sword and the trigger is an enemy moving away, then they can attack and hit the enemy before they reach the square 10' away (which would be out of range). If a character is using a guisarme and an enemy would move within the 10' reach, then the attack would hit when the enemy is still 10' away.

Also, if the AoO would prevent movement somehow (grapple, trip, etc) then the target gets stopped on the square that triggered the AoO, the square they moved from. They don't move to the next sqaure and THEN get tripped.

Assuming your flail is one-handed, you could take the Quick Draw feat and draw the flail for free, not needing to drop the guisarme. In fact, you could do so without a feat - hold the guisarme in one hand, and use a move action to draw the flail. You would need a move action to sheathe a weapon, such as putting away the flail to use the guisarme again.

KernelKertz
2016-06-23, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the clarification! It makes total sense with the sword scenario.

Mystral
2016-06-23, 06:00 AM
1. If they only provoke an AoO as they leave a threatened space, aren't they already inside my guisarme-is-useless radius by the time I can resolve my AoO? In other words, does the guisarme's 5-10ft reach restrictions initiate an AoO that the guisarme can't resolve?

AoO trigger before the triggering event resolves. So when someone steps out of a threatened square, you hit them while still in that square. If someone stands up, you hit them while they are still prone, and so on.

Quick draw wouldn't work, though. You can only take free actions during your own turn.

Jay R
2016-06-23, 12:28 PM
You get an Attack of Opportunity when the attempt to leave your threat range. If you successfully trip them, then they fail to leave it, and fall down in your threat range.

Troacctid
2016-06-23, 01:32 PM
Armor spikes or natural weapons are typically a more effective way of threatening adjacent squares. One of the nice things about warforged crusaders is that they can wield a reach weapon and still have their slam attack to bash anyone who gets too close.