PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help me make the most powerful character!

Belac93
2016-06-19, 09:43 AM
So, a bit of backstory:

I've been playing more and more solo games with my brother in the last little while, usually with me as the DM. He has a reputation for being a killer, and told me; Play whatever you want from UA/published books, roll 4d6 reroll 1s drop lowest, but no revanents.

So, I want help making a character that is ridiculously powerful, as otherwise I will probably not survive. I'd rather not go barbarian, and it is going to be a solo game.

My stats that I rolled are: 17, 17, 17, 15, 13, 12. I will be starting somewhere from levels 1-3.

hymer
2016-06-19, 10:01 AM
no revanents

I don't suppose he made this typo, too, and this is enough wriggle room to play what he doesn't want?

Anyway, it should come as no surprise I'd suggest a druid. Moon druids may not be strictly optimal over land druids, but for the bonus action stack of bonus hp, and sheer versatility, a moon druid ranks high as a useful solo character for a game where the DM prides himself on being harsh. Play mostly as you would a land druid, and use Stonemeld to hold rests as needed. Minionmancy works better in a solo game, where you aren't taking up other players' time, and you can take your time looking up spells, and the stats for minions and wild shapes.
I'd pick a sylvan elf, with str 12, dex 19, con 17, int 13, wis 18, cha 15 (perhaps switch cha and int depending on how much you interact with NPCs socially).

To be perfectly honest, I'd be inclined to make a character that isn't good at surviving at all, though. And then I'd never do anything dangerous. If I got in a fight, I'd surrender. And if I got killed anyway, I wouldn't give a flipping ****. But I suppose you have different tastes. :smallwink:

gfishfunk
2016-06-19, 10:07 AM
This looks like a good build for a Monk or a Paladin, which tons of multi-classing options. Alternatively, you could certainly do a Cleric, which would be great for sustainability due to self-healing.

17, 17, 17, 15, 13, 12

Monk Build:

Str: 12
Dex: 17
Con: 17
Wis: 17
Int: 13
Cha: 15

I think you can go Variant Human easily if you wanted to pick up a feat; halfing or wood elf would do pretty good. Alternatively, you could do a multiclass into Warlock to do Shadow Monk / Warlock. Not too shabby.

If you want to do Paladin, swap Dex and Str, and swap Wis and Cha.

Belac93
2016-06-19, 10:20 AM
To be perfectly honest, I'd be inclined to make a character that isn't good at surviving at all, though. And then I'd never do anything dangerous. If I got in a fight, I'd surrender. And if I got killed anyway, I wouldn't give a flipping ****. But I suppose you have different tastes. :smallwink:

Well, I'll probably have to do that anyway at some point, but I also pride myself in thinking up creative solutions to unsolvable problems. Last time we played a solo game, I took out an entire town with an axe and a couple vials of strategically placed alchemist's fire, and killed a nerfed death knight (didn't have his high level spells) at level 4.

One of my plans was just to make a human diviner wizard with the lucky feat so that I will never fail a roll when I need to.

I might do the druid option, it seems pretty neat. Although I would probably go ghostwise halfling instead of elf.

Naanomi
2016-06-19, 10:25 AM
Solo play opens up options that don't perform well in groups. I'd either want extreme minionmancy (winged feral Tiefling necromancer, or Druid/Conjurer?); stealth (rogue/monk? Half-Orc Assassin/Barbarian?); or something unique that would normally annoy parties (mastermind rogue master of disguise? Spell sniper warlock/sorcerer who engages at extreme range?)

Covering necessary skills can be tough in a solo party too, be very aware of things you will just fail in (i.e.: give up on more than one social tactic; never know stuff, etc)

Sir cryosin
2016-06-19, 10:33 AM
Rogue assassin lv3, shadow monk lv6, warlock lv2 then finish in rogue. Tech expertise and stealth. And be a ninja. You want to get as many surprise rounds as you can. If thing get to crazy drop the darkness and invocation devil sight goodness. You can go range weapons or melee if you want this build is great for both.

I would put the three 17's in Dex, con ,char, 12 in str, 15 in wis, 13 in int.
Warlock lv's
I would take the devil's sight and misty vision invocations. For spell I would take hex, I like armor of agathys but pick what you like.

Monk lvs
The main reason is for shadow step ability but you get all the other monk goodies.

Rogue lvs
Well at first I was going to suggest more warlock lvs but. I remember all the goodness of the rogues chassis like evasion, expertise, ect..

Naanomi
2016-06-19, 10:37 AM
Rogue assassin lv3, shadow monk lv6, warlock lv2 then finish in rogue. Tech expertise and stealth. And be a ninja. You want to get as many surprise rounds as you can. If thing get to crazy drop the darkness and invocation devil sight goodness. You can go range weapons or melee if you want this build is great for both.
Not bad, I might get one more level in warlock for a tome (guidance and rituals for much needed utility) or a pet (disposable scout good for solo play)

Although half elf has some amazing spreads, flight wins solo campaigns so say... Aaracokra stats 11/19/17/12/18/15

hymer
2016-06-19, 10:41 AM
I might do the druid option, it seems pretty neat. Although I would probably go ghostwise halfling instead of elf.

Good thought. Aarakocra is a strong option too, unless the DM tailors situations to the PC. Ghostwise does come with a little uncertainty, and quite a bit more with a harsh DM: Will telepathy work in wild shape? RAW it seems iffy, since no animal is 'physically capable' of telepathy. Just throwing that out there.

Belac93
2016-06-19, 10:49 AM
Good thought. Aarakocra is a strong option too, unless the DM tailors situations to the PC. Ghostwise does come with a little uncertainty, and quite a bit more with a harsh DM: Will telepathy work in wild shape? RAW it seems iffy, since no animal is 'physically capable' of telepathy. Just throwing that out there.

He has been fine with telepathy in animal forms before with other players, so this would fly. I didn't really want to go Aarakocra, as my last character from a solo game with him was one (and he was the guy who killed the town).

R.Shackleford
2016-06-19, 11:15 AM

You keep your Int while wildshaped so it should work. Rary's telepathic bond works on creatures with a score of 3 or more. I don't see why telepathic abilities wouldn't work for a Druid in animal form of their Int is high enough.

Had this happen recently

Me: I also use it (rary's telpathic bond) on the Ranger's wolf companion.
DM: It has an Int of 3 but even if it didn't it is a ranger companion and I would allow it.
Me: Wolf, what is your name?
Wolf: "Moon Moon"
Me: *to ranger* You might want to pick a new companion.

Naanomi
2016-06-19, 11:29 AM
17/17/17 makes me feel like a barbarian somehow

Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Rogue 3/Barbarian +16
19/17/18/12/14/13
Totem barbarian: elk/wolf/tiger
Survival, Athletics, Intimidation, Stealth, Perception, (Deception? Nature?)
Orcish, Common, Undercommon; Forgery Kit, +Theif Tools, +Disguise Kit, +poison kit
Assassin Rogue: expertise: stealth, (perception? Intimidation. Deception? Athletics?)
ASI: +1 Str/+1 Dex; GWM, Alert, +2 Con, +2 Dex

Sneak around with a great axe, charge out and murder people; run away and repeat if needed. Carry a battle axe, hand axes, and shield if needed on fringe cases. Intimidate and disguise to get through social situations.

TheProfessor85
2016-06-19, 12:00 PM
Rock Gnome Order of the Immortal Mystic/ Diviner Wizard
Take Lucky feat for rerolls

Rock Gnome gives Int and Con, Darkvision, Gnome Cunning, Tinker(which can be good for roleplaying as well as functional ie the lighter) Artificer's Lore.

Order of the Immortal Mystic gives an incredible amount of survivability with utility. Plus any armor and weapons.

Diviner Wizard gets you Portent which is amazing in its own right, plus ya know...wizard.

Belac93
2016-06-19, 12:53 PM
I considering a psychic assassin.

Would start as a mystic, and alternate between it and rogue until assassinate, and then go full mystic. Would probably be either a high elf or human, and would start with 2 of either third eye, mind vault, psionic weapon, or celerity, with awakened order for extra skills, and the blade meld talent.

Thoughts?

BurgerBeast
2016-06-19, 01:16 PM
I'm not much if an optimizer but 5/6 rolls landing on odd numbers seems to make the standard human more attractive.

Easy_Lee
2016-06-19, 02:06 PM
Gonna go out on a limb and suggest a variant human conjurer wizard with keen mind. Here's why:

The keen mind conjurer combination let's you make a copy of anything you've seen in the past month, as long as it's not too large. Keys, tools, maps, books, your spell book, all are possible by RAW.

Spells like rope trick, contingency, and teleport will make you exceedingly hard to kill. And with your stats, you can start with 18s in Int, Con, and Dex. Now that's one hell of a character. Add Mage armor, and you've got AC 17 from level 1. Add the shield spell, and you can just about decide when to be hit.

Your real survivability is going to come from utilizing your familiar, conjured creatures, and any followers you can find on a regular basis. Use the familiar to scout. Polymorph a follower into a misquote and have him spy on someone for you. Always have someone or something else enter rooms first.

Teleport trick: cast teleport as a held action, and release it in response to being attacked, if you expect an ambush. You'll teleport away as soon as someone hits you, provided you pass the concentration save.

The feats Lucky and Alert are also useful for general survival. Since you have such high stats, you can afford quite a few feats.

Just a thought. Wizards are viewed as a powerful class for a reason.

Edit: name your character Hal Jordan.

BurgerBeast
2016-06-19, 02:22 PM
Gonna go out on a limb and suggest a variant human conjurer wizard with keen mind... you can start with 18s in Int, Con, and Dex.

Okay, I take back what I said about standard human. I finally see why variant is so much more powerful. Three +1s and a half feat is decidedly better than five +1s especially since the last two +1s are probably not in stats you want them in.

Klorox
2016-06-19, 06:32 PM
Variant Human fighter 2/warlock X

Cast darkness on your helmet when you get into fights.

STR 18 DEX 12 CON 17 INT 13 WIS 14 CHA 18

RickAllison
2016-06-19, 07:39 PM
Variant Human fighter 2/warlock X

Cast darkness on your helmet when you get into fights.

STR 18 DEX 12 CON 17 INT 13 WIS 14 CHA 18

Swing around a whip or flail and cast it on that. Then they can't know where you are by pointing at the center!

XmonkTad
2016-06-19, 11:16 PM
Any votes for Knowledge Cleric? Guidance and proficiency with any tool you touch could be really important for a solo campaign. That plus cleric healing, spirit guardians/spiritual weapon when you get it.

AmbientRaven
2016-06-20, 12:12 AM
1 Rogue 7 Ancients Paladin 12 Sorcerer (Shadow or Favoured soul, your choice).

1 Rogue gets you 6 skills and expertise in 2. 7 Ancients gets +cha to saves, resistance to magic and smite. 12 Sorcerer gets you more spell slots. You can go war domain favoured soul for more aoe damage from spirit guardians and a good spell list, or life, but being paladin makes life redundant.

TheFlyingCleric
2016-06-20, 05:08 AM
I Could see a Wood Elf, Way of Open Hand Monk doing well. Starting AC of 18, which is ridiculous for a monk. 45 feet movement by level 2, and can bonus action dash for 1 ki. Hits hard in melee range, but also proficient in longbows that can be used quite well at long range (deflect missiles will let him win archer duels). Ability to self-heal.
Importantly, can fairly easily run away from combat. This will probably come in handy.
Also Diamond Soul, because no one likes failing saves.

hymer
2016-06-20, 06:32 AM
You keep your Int while wildshaped so it should work.

I'm wondering of you're arguing one side to what the DM should call, or if you misunderstood completely. Just in case it's the latter: It's not a question of the ability to be contacted telepathically. Ghostwise halflings gain telepathy as a racial ability. Racial abilities go away in wild shape unless the beast is 'physically capable' of the feature by RAW.

MaxWilson
2016-06-20, 07:08 AM
I'm wondering of you're arguing one side to what the DM should call, or if you misunderstood completely. Just in case it's the latter: It's not a question of the ability to be contacted telepathically. Ghostwise halflings gain telepathy as a racial ability. Racial abilities go away in wild shape unless the beast is 'physically capable' of the feature by RAW.

Well, that's actually backwards.

You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can’t use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense.

So, you retain all special abilities, but can only use them if the new form is "physically capable" of doing so. Telepathy isn't a physical activity, so it seems clear to me at least that it's usable while wildshaped. And that is 100% fine with me as a DM BTW. Seems intended.

hymer
2016-06-20, 07:32 AM
Well, that's actually backwards.

Fair enough. It doesn't 'go away', but whether you can use it is based on a DM call on the beast's (physical) capability. I'll agree the wording is awkward, and whether it's RAI is anyone's guess (and my guess is you're supposed to be allowed to do this).
Telepathy not being a physical act is... speculative. We don't really know anything about how it works, much like darkvision which does go away (if I may) in wild shape. Is ghostwise telepathy cultural and/or biological? Is it even magical? DM's call (though I'm pretty sure it is a (Su) ability in 3.5, for what that's worth).

5e goes out of its way to be non-specific. It's annoying, particularly for rules discussion in a forum like this, but that's the way it goes.

MrFahrenheit
2016-06-20, 07:51 AM
So, a bit of backstory:

I've been playing more and more solo games with my brother in the last little while, usually with me as the DM. He has a reputation for being a killer, and told me; Play whatever you want from UA/published books, roll 4d6 reroll 1s drop lowest, but no revanents.

So, I want help making a character that is ridiculously powerful, as otherwise I will probably not survive. I'd rather not go barbarian, and it is going to be a solo game.

My stats that I rolled are: 17, 17, 17, 15, 13, 12. I will be starting somewhere from levels 1-3.

First thought: it's a trap! Creating the most powerful character will make you public enemy #1 on a killer DM's hit list!

Second thought: power isn't about damage optimization, but CONTROL. Oddly enough, I just posted about this in the DM Proof thread: The most powerful character I ever saw did very little damage, but boy could he control the dice! With that in mind, here's my recommendation:

Halfling divination wizard. Preferably light foot but sub race doesn't totally matter. Take the lucky feat at level 4, then pump int. Stats should be 12/17/17/17/15/13. Take a two level dip in rogue for hiding as a bonus action, or (light foot only) make your stat array 12/17/15/17/13/17 and take a two level dip in warlock for agonizing blast. Whichever class you choose to take your dip in, be sure to grab portent and lucky first.