PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Merfolk Race [PEACH]

DiscipleofBob
2016-06-19, 12:18 PM
I'm starting a new 5e game soon that, for the setting, requires access to a Merfolk race.

Not satisfied with what I've seen so far, I've written up a rough draft for a 5e race.

I'll stress this is a rough draft and that I currently do not have any subraces, the current race is supposed to be balanced as if it already includes its subrace.

Let me know what you think or if I've screwed up somewhere.

Merfolk

Ability Score Increase: Your Charisma score increases by 2, and your Dexterity increases by 1.

Size: Your size is Medium.

Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision: You have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and darkness as if it were dim light. This range is doubled if you are underwater.

Fey Ancestry: You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.

Aquatic Form: You can switch between two forms: one that is almost imperceptible from a human, albeit with a seemingly unearthly beauty, and one where the lower half of your body is replaced with a streamlined, fish-like tail. You can breathe underwater in both forms and have a swim speed of 40 feet, and do not suffer penalties from performing actions underwater. You can freely switch between the two forms as part of your Move action.

Siren's Song: You have proficiency with Persuasion and Performance when singing. You have advantage on Deception checks to pass off as a human.

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Aquan, and one extra language of your choice.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-06-19, 01:00 PM
Looks alright, balance-wise. The Aquatic Form ability is strangely-worded... it seems that the form itself is purely cosmetic and the benefits are just always on? That's fine, but it makes it sound strange.