PDA

View Full Version : Help with curse of strahd

Asgkingkiller
2016-06-19, 04:37 PM
Ok so I'm starting a new campaign soon and we are going to be playing through curse of strahd. I've dmed before but only ever totally homebrewed campaigns, the official books had never really interested me but I read curse of strahd and really liked it, specifically strahd himself so I'm gunna end up running it. I'm just looking for some advice on how to run the official adventure books and specifically curse of strahd. It seems really open world so do I have to have the entire book always memorized?
Like how does running official adventures differ from homebrew campaigns and other advice
Thanks everyone

pwykersotz
2016-06-19, 05:22 PM
It's not necessary to have the whole book memorized, but it is necessary to be familiar with it. Moreso with CoS, because it's very sandboxy and players might surprise you by running into a nearby area without being appropriate level and without you expecting it. I recommend reading the book through twice, and then reading the section you anticipate the party going through the day before you run it. This is what I did and it worked very well.

If your group is accustomed to homebrew, a printed adventure will feel more rigid. You can make it not feel that way by making the module your own. Maybe the hunter and the mage already know and dislike each other. Maybe the werewolves have different agendas than what are printed. Maybe you don't like the ravens at all. Know what you're comfortable with and what you aren't, and adjust accordingly. The book presupposes a LOT of interactions that may not happen. Treat them all as scenarios that the PC's are free to solve any way and be prepared to adapt to it, and you'll be fine.

Caskwell
2016-06-19, 10:17 PM
I'm running it now for an AL table. While the potential is there for them to go a random direction, in practice they follow the hooks that I give them with whatever is closest or most pressing coming first, so they've proceeded pretty directly from Barovia to Tser to Vallaki. That tends to keep them on a much more linear track that you'd expect. If they do go in an unexpected direction, don't be afraid to use a raven cawing in their face or something to warn them back (i.e. Bonegrinder).

And I definitely second not trying to use everything in a chapter at once, especially with Vallaki. We've been in town for 3-4 sessions now and I think everyone's itching to move on, even with several unresolved plot points and special events. Actually, it seems designed to get them to 5th part way through Vallaki while also providing several more directions to proceed at the same point.

Aurthur
2016-06-20, 12:06 AM
http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com/2016/03/dungeons-dragons-guide-to-curse-of.html

This site is an a amazing CoS reference. Read through it for tips and suggestions.

Occasional Sage
2016-06-20, 12:15 AM
Know the sections you expect the players to encounter each session backwards and forwards. Know others well enough to fudge for a short time; if they head off on a tangent early in the day throw fluffy speedbumps in the way until you can wrap up with happy players and study up on the new next area before the next session.

CoS can feel very sandbox-y if run correctly, and if you're on your toes your players may never even notice the difference.

busterswd
2016-06-20, 01:05 AM
There are three towns, all of which can act as quest hubs, and the final dungeon. The order is generally going to be Barovia --> Vallaki --> Krezk.

To prep, know the travel encounter mechanics. Have the table bookmarked.

Prep the relevant town(s) your party will be dealing with, and know what quest hooks you may throw out to them, so you can prep those specific side areas. Decide on which events (the optional things at the end) you want to run, or play it by ear.

Study the relevant NPCs for each section, and know what makes them tick; there's information in the appendix the chapters don't list. Did you know Izek has a demon arm/amnesia, and that the party can encounter Strahd incredibly early on? Do you know Rictavio's backstory, and why it's hard to make him cooperate?

I usually make an outline of optional events in my notebook, as well as ongoing quest lines.

You'll prep anywhere from 2-4 chapters per session, probably.

When you get to the castle, it's huge. It'll probably take some extra special prep on your part.

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-06-20, 03:39 AM
If plot hooks and player decisions affects how the story plays out, a flowchart would be handy for DM's

busterswd
2016-06-20, 02:03 PM
If plot hooks and player decisions affects how the story plays out, a flowchart would be handy for DM's

A flowchart would mostly be pointless, though. The side quests are basically about shoring up your party's levels and equipment so Strahd doesn't wipe them when they finally do take him on. Additionally, most of the side quests have multiple points of entry, including signs/forks in the road. And to top that off, the Tarokka readings will change what and where are the most important locations to visit.

You can have 3 different people, for example, send you to investigate the Winery. The Bonegrinder mill can either be triggered by watching a witch collect children in Barovia, or by having your party see the sign and going that direction. And that's assuming you don't improvise rumors in towns. There are dozens of reasons to go to the castle, not the least of which Strahd actually giving you invitations to come.

So yeah. The adventure is even more open ended than Out of the Abyss.