PDA

View Full Version : Nonmagical Armor Enhancement Bonus?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-19, 05:52 PM
As the thread title.

I know there's the kakita katana in Oriental Adventures, which is a nonmagical katana with a +2 enhancement bonus. Are there any nonmagical armors or shields that have a similarly nonmagical enhancement bonus?

DrMotives
2016-06-19, 06:05 PM
Dragon #358, "Masterforged" has a series of enhancements that can be built into armor and/or weapons along with "masterwork" during the crafting process. One of them is "reinforced" which increases the base armor AC bonus by +1. It is not referred to as an enhancement bonus.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-19, 08:25 PM
Dragon #358, "Masterforged" has a series of enhancements that can be built into armor and/or weapons along with "masterwork" during the crafting process. One of them is "reinforced" which increases the base armor AC bonus by +1. It is not referred to as an enhancement bonus.I specifically want a nonmagical enhancement bonus because it lets you have a workaround for magic weapon and armor costs.

For instance, the kakita katana is a nonmagical katana with a +2 nonmagical enhancement bonus. Magic weapons require an enhancement bonus of at least +1, but that enhancement bonus need not be magical (at least, by RAW). Oddly enough, the cost of magical enhancements is based on how many magical pluses (or their equivalents) there are on the item (and furthermore, the epic cap is for magical enhancements, so that's a bonus as well). So you can pay 9,000 gp for the nonmagical +2 enhancement bonus, and then enhance it for, say, the +1 equivalent flaming property for a mere 2,000 gp. This just about breaks even early on, but the savings really start to accrue when you start hitting the higher numbers, and it saves a huge amount when you have a +12 weapon, since the nonmagical +2 doesn't count.

The biggest issue is that I don't think the nonmagical +2 stacks with any magical enhancement bonuses you craft onto the weapon. So if, for whatever reason, you really need a sword with a +3 enhancement bonus (like to use a greater weapon crystal, for example), you'd have to pay for all +3 again, since it wouldn't stack with the nonmagical +2.

The kakita katana works for weapons. Now I just need something similar for armors and shields.

Gildedragon
2016-06-20, 12:29 AM
There are the items produced by the Master class from War of the Lance that act like masterwork but can up quintuple the bonus

rrwoods
2016-06-20, 02:13 AM
Where's the kakita katana in OA? I don't see it in the equipment section.

EDIT: Wait a minute, what's it doing in the magic items section? It's not magical... Anyway, mystery solved.

EDIT 2: I disagree with your rules interpretation here.

There's a line in the SRD that says you have to have a +1 enhancement bonus on a weapon before adding special abilities. You're taking that to mean any +1, not just magic +1s, which I think is fine. But if you're having that cake, you can't then eat it by saying that the line right before it that talks about pricing special abilities doesn't also include nonmagic enhancement bonuses.