Hey, i need some advice on what my level total should be as a monk/warlock

my character is a half elf with the following stats
str 8
dex 16
con 10
int 8
wis 16
cha 16

im planing on going monk 8(woS)/ warlock 12(feind pact and pact of blades) but not sure if i should go that or monk 6/warlock 14.

i feel i should go monk 8/warlock 12 so i can have 5 ability score boosts instead of 4, but if i go 14 warlock i would get a bonus spell the 7th level spell (finger of death) and hurl through hell which are large damage spells..no clue, any thoughts? aslo unsure if i should max dex and cha and and 2 in wis or max dex and wis and 2 points in cha

bid
2016-06-19, 06:36 PM
I've heard initial monk is too weak for melee and you need some ranged weapon early levels. Starting lock might solve that.

Also, monk is MAD with its Dex/Wis AC needs, you'll need 4 ASI to cap both. The warlock Cha requirement kinda kill that too, but you could dump to Wis13 and use armor of shadow (same AC as Wis16).

Half-elf can barely reach 9 16 14 8 13 16 and that's 4 ASI to cap Dex/Cha.

I wouldn't dump Con that hard, having Con12 is so cheap it's worth it.

Midobatsu
2016-06-19, 07:07 PM
I've heard initial monk is too weak for melee and you need some ranged weapon early levels. Starting lock might solve that.

Also, monk is MAD with its Dex/Wis AC needs, you'll need 4 ASI to cap both. The warlock Cha requirement kinda kill that too, but you could dump to Wis13 and use armor of shadow (same AC as Wis16).

Half-elf can barely reach 9 16 14 8 13 16 and that's 4 ASI to cap Dex/Cha.

I wouldn't dump Con that hard, having Con12 is so cheap it's worth it.

i've already started and am lvl 3 atm, im just not sure what ability scores to max and if i should go monk 8/warlock 12 or monk 6/ warlock 14

im leaning towards monk 8/warlock 12 since asi's are important and id rather not only have 4 instead of the 5 id get going monk 8, just not sure if that asi is worth more then 12 spells,a lvl 7 spell and hurl through hell

JellyPooga
2016-06-19, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't put too much focus on ASI's. You've got 16 in all your relevant Ability Scores and you may find Feats a more worthy investment. If you must bump one up, I'd boost Charisma before improving Dexterity or Wisdom; you're Warlock casting should probably be your main focus.

That said, Monk 6/Warlock 14 sounds pretty optimal to me. As you mention, access to that 7th level spell is fairly game-changing (at least for you) and you've got most of the salient points from Monk by level 6.

Midobatsu
2016-06-19, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't put too much focus on ASI's. You've got 16 in all your relevant Ability Scores and you may find Feats a more worthy investment. If you must bump one up, I'd boost Charisma before improving Dexterity or Wisdom; you're Warlock casting should probably be your main focus.

That said, Monk 6/Warlock 14 sounds pretty optimal to me. As you mention, access to that 7th level spell is fairly game-changing (at least for you) and you've got most of the salient points from Monk by level 6.

would missing out on that extra asi be worth the extra spells? i compare the 2 monk levels(evasion, still mind asi) to the 2 warlock levels(12 spells, 7th level spell and hurl through hell patron bonus)..i guess its really spells or asi im debating

plan is feind pact, pact of blades and way of the shadow

bid
2016-06-19, 08:08 PM
plan is fiend pact, pact of blades and way of the shadow
Bladelock does not work well with extra attack classes. Remember that lifedrinker requires bladelock 12 (class level).

Your empty hands will do 1d6 damage, trying to do more with your pact weapon will disable your bonus unarmed strike.

If you're already monk 3, it's too late to make bladelock valuable.
If you're bladelock 3, it's too late to make shadow step valuable.

Bladelock is mostly good when you have no other source of martial weapons (pure or MC sorcerer), or no other source of extra attack (MC rogue).

Midobatsu
2016-06-19, 08:11 PM
If you're bladelock 3, it's too late to make shadow step valuable..

im currently monk 1 warlock 2, pact of blade is not set in stone even then if the pact weapon is a short sword or a monk weapon would i not get the dex damage bonus?

i can change to another pact (since i have not picked one yet) i just thought that since monk weapons are simple weapons and short swords i could do that for my pact weapon and be a swiss army knife when it comes to damage tpes.

though i do want to go either monk 8/warlock 12 or (what seems to be the pointed towards) monk 6 warlock 14 maybe..just maybe monk 14/ warlock 6..maybe even monk 2 warlock 17(bladelock)... idk..

edit: also what level order should i take? currently monk 1 warlock 2 what about 3 to 20,pact of blade seems pointless now that i think about it way too late in game for that cha bonus damage so maybe pact of chain?

Waffle_Iron
2016-06-19, 09:44 PM
Bladelock does not work well with extra attack classes. Remember that lifedrinker requires bladelock 12 (class level).

Your empty hands will do 1d6 damage, trying to do more with your pact weapon will disable your bonus unarmed strike.

If you're bladelock 3, it's too late to make shadow step valuable.

Bladelock is mostly good when you have no other source of martial weapons (pure or MC sorcerer), or no other source of extra attack (MC rogue).

Not exactly. Both spear and quarter staff are monk weapons that do 1d8, and still allow martial arts.

That being said, I have a monk/warlock that is sitting at 5/5 right now. I went feylock (tome) /shadow, and I am the utility / clutch player. Range? EB. Melee? Monk with shillelagh. Cantrips? If you count mask of many faces, I've got nine. Control? My EB has repel, I've got thorn whip, Ray of frost, darkness.

I've got so many options in and out of combat, I've only been stuck scratching my head a few times.

It's not a "forums optimal" DPR monster build, but it is super fun, and really useful.

Midobatsu
2016-06-19, 09:48 PM
Not exactly. Both spear and quarter staff are monk weapons that do 1d8, and still allow martial arts.

That being said, I have a monk/warlock that is sitting at 5/5 right now. I went feylock (tome) /shadow, and I am the utility / clutch player. Range? EB. Melee? Monk with shillelagh. Cantrips? If you count mask of many faces, I've got nine. Control? My EB has repel, I've got thorn whip, Ray of frost, darkness.

I've got so many options in and out of combat, I've only been stuck scratching my head a few times.

It's not a "forums optimal" DPR monster build, but it is super fun, and really useful.

so what would you recommend i do? im not sure..blade? chain? tome monk 6/warlock 14, monk 8/warlock 12 idk thoughts? just want some advice with what i should get/do level pact wise

Veldrenor
2016-06-19, 11:03 PM
so what would you recommend i do? im not sure..blade? chain? tome monk 6/warlock 14, monk 8/warlock 12 idk thoughts? just want some advice with what i should get/do level pact wise

If you go chain your monk Shadowstep gets silly. Cast darkness on a rock and then have your invisible Devil's Sight imp familiar carry the rock around. EDIT: as to level order, you've got Devil's Sight from Warlock 2 which is the only thing you strictly needed. Crank Shadow Monk to 6 to get Shadowstep (since that's more or less the reason to go Shadow Monk). You've got 5 levels to go, you can figure out what to do next with your Warlock along the way.

Midobatsu
2016-06-19, 11:07 PM
i like these thoughts but my question is not answered monk 6/warlock 14, monk 8/warlock 12, max dex cha or dex wis all i got so far is chain would be a good idea and blad would not be truely viable due to not getting the cha damage bonus until super late

Veldrenor
2016-06-19, 11:22 PM
i like these thoughts but my question is not answered monk 6/warlock 14, monk 8/warlock 12, max dex cha or dex wis all i got so far is chain would be a good idea and blad would not be truely viable due to not getting the cha damage bonus until super late

Max dex definitely, as to wis or cha that's really a personal taste thing. Some people go heavy on the warlock spellcasting, so they crank dex and cha. Others don't go past the 2 level warlock dip, making wis much more important than cha. You seem interested in the warlock abilities beyond just picking up Devil's Sight, so I'd say go monk 6/warlock 14. Dealing an extra 10d10 on one attack every day can be pretty devastating.

Specter
2016-06-19, 11:26 PM
I'd leave Warlock at two levels, or three later on. You already have a ranged solution in Eldritch Blast and the whole see-in-magical-darkness cheese, so I'd say your monk is 'fixed'. Staying longer in monk gets you the way features, Evasion, Diamond Soul (it's soul good /pun) and extra damage much faster.

If you are going later on in Warlock, you should leave either WIS or CHA at an average number. I'd recommend WIS.

Easy_Lee
2016-06-19, 11:34 PM
Max dex definitely, as to wis or cha that's really a personal taste thing. Some people go heavy on the warlock spellcasting, so they crank dex and cha. Others don't go past the 2 level warlock dip, making wis much more important than cha. You seem interested in the warlock abilities beyond just picking up Devil's Sight, so I'd say go monk 6/warlock 14. Dealing an extra 10d10 on one attack every day can be pretty devastating.

This is likely the better build for your character, as it sounds like your focus is damage.

Regarding blade pact vs. others, check with your DM. Unarmed strike is on the weapon table and by RAW can be selected as a pact weapon, but that was errata'd or deemed not to work, unsure which, at some later point. If your DM allows it, making unarmed strike your pact weapon allows for some really good damage when you get Lifedrinker.

Otherwise, just pick up a quarterstaff and use it as your arcane focus. Crawford confirmed that this works (https://twitter.com/GamerJosh/status/509454115861434368). Go Tome or Chain, as both are better than blade for someone who already has extra attack. You're a bit squishy, so chain may be your preference for its superior scouting.

Max your dexterity first, followed by Charisma. Don't bother maxing out Wis, since 16 is fine for your purposes. 16AC is enough for someone who shouldn't be getting hit and has plenty of temporary HP from fiend pact.

Your character progression should be Warlock 2 -> Monk 6 -> Warlock 14. You've already started, so level as close to that from here on as you can.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-19, 11:37 PM
I personally think Monk 17/Warlock 3 is the best combo of this multiclass but you obviously want more warlock. Monk gets stronger with more levels and Warlock gets diminishing returns at higher levels in my opinion.

bid
2016-06-19, 11:57 PM
True, I forgot versatile.

Tomelock has more utility spells, while chainlock has better spying. It's more an RP choice than anything.

I would get monk 5 before lock 3, by that time you'll know which pact fits you best. As long as you have agonizing blast, you won't miss extra attack at (character) level 5.

As to which split to take:
- warlock 2 has a recurrent "die by a fiery death, you cheesy" thread
- warlock 3 at least has a pact
- warlock 11 has 3 slots
- monk 6 is a given for shadow
- monk 7 is too good imo

I'd go:
- monk 5
- warlock 3 (maybe 5)
- monk 6 (maybe 7)
- warlock 11
- monk 7
- 2 levels left for whatever suits your fancy.

Midobatsu
2016-06-19, 11:57 PM
I personally think Monk 17/Warlock 3 is the best combo of this multiclass but you obviously want more warlock. Monk gets stronger with more levels and Warlock gets diminishing returns at higher levels in my opinion.

i could still do this, with chain pact? would you recoment way of shadow or open palm? what stat boost would you recomend. this is my 1st multi class so honestly its all in the air i was just thinking those 2 based off what my friend mention what invocations should i use besides devils sight(i have not fully leveled him yet and the next game is not in a while but im leaning towards monk 6/warlock 14

edit: as it seems ill go 5 levels in monk before getting the 3rd level warlock so id have time to get a final vertic either m6/w14, or m17/w3, though im assuming way of the shadow is the most versitile with warlock or would open palm be better

still leaning towards m6/w14 ill go chain pact(since i wont get lifedrinker until lvl 20 or around that late) i just want to be able to do mass about of damage be it at range or in combat(prob going to be there a lot more than range)

Midobatsu
2016-06-20, 12:40 AM
True, I forgot versatile.

Tomelock has more utility spells, while chainlock has better spying. It's more an RP choice than anything.

I would get monk 5 before lock 3, by that time you'll know which pact fits you best. As long as you have agonizing blast, you won't miss extra attack at (character) level 5.

As to which split to take:
- warlock 2 has a recurrent "die by a fiery death, you cheesy" thread
- warlock 3 at least has a pact
- warlock 11 has 3 slots
- monk 6 is a given for shadow
- monk 7 is too good imo

I'd go:
- monk 5
- warlock 3 (maybe 5)
- monk 6 (maybe 7)
- warlock 11
- monk 7
- 2 levels left for whatever suits your fancy.

not a bad idea... how about monk 8/ warlock 12? tome pact? or chain? im assuming way of shadow would be best?
sorry for all the trouble

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-20, 12:40 AM
i could still do this, with chain pact? would you recoment way of shadow or open palm? what stat boost would you recomend. this is my 1st multi class so honestly its all in the air i was just thinking those 2 based off what my friend mention what invocations should i use besides devils sight(i have not fully leveled him yet and the next game is not in a while but im leaning towards monk 6/warlock 14

edit: as it seems ill go 5 levels in monk before getting the 3rd level warlock so id have time to get a final vertic either m6/w14, or m17/w3, though im assuming way of the shadow is the most versitile with warlock or would open palm be better

still leaning towards m6/w14 ill go chain pact i just want to be able to do mass about of damage be it at range or in combat(prob going to be there a lot more than range)

Well, it's your character, so do what ever you want! If I was doing it, I would open hand monk 17/warlock 3. IF you can get to monk level 17 (and that's a big if since you'd really need to get to level 20 since your warlock levels come earlier), then nothing beats the Open Hand monk's Quivering Palm, it's so frigging OP.

So I would have 3 levels of warlock, pact of the chain with an Imp who has Devil's Sight. I will have Devil's Sight in addition to Agonizing Blast. I'll make my imp fly around with a pebble in his hand that I cast darkness on. BOOM. You now have darkness move wherever you want it strategically while you fists of fury on enemies that can't see you but you can see them. No need to go up higher levels in warlock for Greater Invisibilty when you already have it at level 3 with Darkness, Devil's Sight, and your imp familiar. It may be cheesy, but it will own hard.

If you want more levels of warlock and less monk, I'd like to recommend the Long Death Monk from SCAG, that is just the best monk if you aren't hitting level 17 with it, it's 11th level ability is insanely good, it's 3rd level ability is also super-nice.

Midobatsu
2016-06-20, 12:49 AM
Well, it's your character, so do what ever you want! If I was doing it, I would open hand monk 17/warlock 3. IF you can get to monk level 17 (and that's a big if since you'd really need to get to level 20 since your warlock levels come earlier), then nothing beats the Open Hand monk's Quivering Palm, it's so frigging OP.

So I would have 3 levels of warlock, pact of the chain with an Imp who has Devil's Sight. I will have Devil's Sight in addition to Agonizing Blast. I'll make my imp fly around with a pebble in his hand that I cast darkness on. BOOM. You now have darkness move wherever you want it strategically while you fists of fury on enemies that can't see you but you can see them. No need to go up higher levels in warlock for Greater Invisibilty when you already have it at level 3 with Darkness, Devil's Sight, and your imp familiar. It may be cheesy, but it will own hard.

If you want more levels of warlock and less monk, I'd like to recommend the Long Death Monk from SCAG, that is just the best monk if you aren't hitting level 17 with it, it's 11th level ability is insanely good, it's 3rd level ability is also super-nice.

hmm ill look into that, i'm between your and bid's idea's, to be honest i do have a soft spot for fast punching massive damage monks(always loved monk classes in games).. but i wanted to mix it up a bit with warlock

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-20, 12:53 AM
I should add that if you are doing the M17/W3 build, you'd be better off just having min Cha (13, maybe bringing it up to 14) and Con 14. In fact, you might even want those stats with less monk more warlock build. Con is necessary to keep concentration, and the whole point in multiclassing with monk is so you can melee, you want Con for hit points too.

Frankly, I never make a character without at least 14 Con, it's too important for everybody.

A Con 10 character going into melee and trying to keep concentration is going to have a serious glass jaw.

Midobatsu
2016-06-20, 12:56 AM
I should add that if you are doing the M17/W3 build, you'd be better off just having min Cha (13, maybe bringing it up to 14) and Con 14. In fact, you might even want those stats with less monk more warlock build. Con is necessary to keep concentration, and the whole point in multiclassing with monk is so you can melee, you want Con for hit points too.
Frankly, I never make a character without at least 14 Con, it's too important for everybody.

yea i think ill go that route, im too much of a fan of monks how would i fix this =x, max dex put some in con and wis? hmm open palm is strong... long death seems strong too... tho darkness shadow step with way of shadow seems strong as well..

im thinking if i got monk 6/warlock 14 ill go way of shadows, though long death would have its use with that 6th skill... im not sure what ill go if i got monk 17/warlock 3...either long death or open palm.. ill go chain pack or tome if i go 17/3 or 6/14 regardless..how to fix this though i know im asking many questions and opinions please bear with me.

would pact of chain make me need the 10g worth of coal and al the other components to get the imp?

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-20, 03:13 AM
yea i think ill go that route, im too much of a fan of monks how would i fix this =x, max dex put some in con and wis? hmm open palm is strong... long death seems strong too... tho darkness shadow step with way of shadow seems strong as well..

im thinking if i got monk 6/warlock 14 ill go way of shadows, though long death would have its use with that 6th skill... im not sure what ill go if i got monk 17/warlock 3...either long death or open palm.. ill go chain pack if i go 17/3 and if i go 6/14 ill go either tome or chain..how to fix this though i know im asking many questions and opinions please bear with me.

would pact of chain make me need the 10g worth of coal and al the other components to get the imp?

Ha! Don't worry about that! By 3rd level, spending 10 gp on spell materials is not a big thing!

Picking the right race with a monk multiclass is always important if you are doing point buy. Half-Elf would be a good choice for monk/warlock, with point buy you could start with these stats:
Str 8
Dex 16
Con 14
Wis 15
Int 8
Cha 14
Not bad.

Midobatsu
2016-06-20, 03:19 AM
Ha! Don't worry about that! By 3rd level, spending 10 gp on spell materials is not a big thing!

Picking the right race with a monk multiclass is always important if you are doing point buy. Half-Elf would be a good choice for monk/warlock, with point buy you could start with these stats:
Str 8
Dex 16
Con 14
Wis 15
Int 8
Cha 14
Not bad.

ive already started im a half elf with
str 8
dex 16
con 10 (will have to work on sadly i messed up)
int 8
cha 16
currently monk 1/warlock 2

what way should i go with monk 17/ warlock 3? im stuck between open palm, way of shadow and long death if my dm allows it

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-20, 04:07 AM
ive already started im a half elf with
str 8
dex 16
con 10 (will have to work on sadly i messed up)
int 8
cha 16
currently monk 1/warlock 2

what way should i go with monk 17/ warlock 3? im stuck between open palm, way of shadow and long death if my dm allows it

Why would your DM not allow Long Death monk? It's in the SCAG and is AL legal.

Just do what you want, man. There's no "wrong" choice. And if you like monks like me you will try all different sorts of combos and subclasses.
I personally am partial to open hand (3rd and 17th level amazing) and Long Death (3rd and 11th level amazing).

I'm not a big fan of Shadow because I don't think it really gives you much. I mean, the 3rd level stuff is just a waste of Ki, especially when you can have things like Devil's Sight and Darkness from your warlock levels. The 6th level ability makes you use a bonus action to teleport and have your first attack have advantage. Urgh, I'd rather use flurry of blows for my bonus action and have FOUR attacks rather than teleport and only have 2 attacks, one with advantage. Also with warlock darkness and Devil's sight, you can have advantage on all four of those attacks instead. If it's the mobility you like, don't worry, you are speedy enough as a monk to get to your targets.

11th level cloak of shadows makes you invisible which is worthless because you've already got basically Greater Invisibilty with darkness and Devil's Sight. Way of Shadow is super-underwhelming but it's even more pointless with your warlock build.

bid
2016-06-20, 07:59 AM
Another vote for "whatever you want".

It's really an RP choice of how you see your character. Same thing with chain vs tome.

Midobatsu
2016-06-20, 12:03 PM
i've decided ill go monk 17/warlock 3 with chain pact and open palm (long death if the allow it,since they want to keep it simple and not past elemental evil)

regarding m y con problem.. should i just dump 2 asi in it to get it to 14 or maybe 12,1 asi in wis to 18 and put 2 asi in dex to get it to 20 and cha(maybe wis too) at 16? i do need to fix that.

Biggstick
2016-06-20, 12:20 PM
Why would your DM not allow Long Death monk? It's in the SCAG and is AL legal.

Just do what you want, man. There's no "wrong" choice. And if you like monks like me you will try all different sorts of combos and subclasses.
I personally am partial to open hand (3rd and 17th level amazing) and Long Death (3rd and 11th level amazing).

I'm not a big fan of Shadow because I don't think it really gives you much. I mean, the 3rd level stuff is just a waste of Ki, especially when you can have things like Devil's Sight and Darkness from your warlock levels. The 6th level ability makes you use a bonus action to teleport and have your first attack have advantage. Urgh, I'd rather use flurry of blows for my bonus action and have FOUR attacks rather than teleport and only have 2 attacks, one with advantage. Also with warlock darkness and Devil's sight, you can have advantage on all four of those attacks instead. If it's the mobility you like, don't worry, you are speedy enough as a monk to get to your targets.

11th level cloak of shadows makes you invisible which is worthless because you've already got basically Greater Invisibilty with darkness and Devil's Sight. Way of Shadow is super-underwhelming but it's even more pointless with your warlock build.

Totally disagree with you on the 3rd level stuff being a waste of Ki. Pass without Trace is an amazing ability that allows a group of people to sneak into places they wouldn't normally be able to sneak into (Yeah, even that Plate wearing Paladin). Depending on short rests, you could have a pretty large amount of Ki points to cast this and Darkness.

You're also underestimating the 6th level ability's utility. Being able to bonus action teleport with the only limiting factor being some sort of darkness is incredible. In a dark shady place at all and you can teleport 60' per turn. Stuck behind bars in a prison cell? Use the shadowstep to remove yourself from said shackles and step outside the bars.

Other uses for the Shadow Step involve staying a good distance away from your enemy, using the bonus action tp to gain advantage on your attack (Eldritch Blast), and remain at range from said enemy. You can kite for a pretty long time with Shadow Step, Monk MS, and Eldritch Blast range.

Farecry
2016-06-20, 02:42 PM
Other uses for the Shadow Step involve staying a good distance away from your enemy, using the bonus action tp to gain advantage on your attack (Eldritch Blast), and remain at range from said enemy. You can kite for a pretty long time with Shadow Step, Monk MS, and Eldritch Blast range.

It's advantage on your next melee attack, so no Eldritch Blast there.

Biggstick
2016-06-20, 02:45 PM
It's advantage on your next melee attack, so no Eldritch Blast there.

My mistake. AFB right now. Still an effective kiting strategy though.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-20, 05:15 PM
Totally disagree with you on the 3rd level stuff being a waste of Ki. Pass without Trace is an amazing ability that allows a group of people to sneak into places they wouldn't normally be able to sneak into (Yeah, even that Plate wearing Paladin). Depending on short rests, you could have a pretty large amount of Ki points to cast this and Darkness.

You're also underestimating the 6th level ability's utility. Being able to bonus action teleport with the only limiting factor being some sort of darkness is incredible. In a dark shady place at all and you can teleport 60' per turn. Stuck behind bars in a prison cell? Use the shadowstep to remove yourself from said shackles and step outside the bars.

If he is doing Darkness/Devil's Sight with his warlock, he's going to get advantage on all his attacks anyway. I'd rather have advantage on four attacks than advantage on one attack out of two.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-20, 05:20 PM
i've decided ill go monk 17/warlock 3 with chain pact and open palm (long death if the allow it,since they want to keep it simple and not past elemental evil)

regarding m y con problem.. should i just dump 2 asi in it to get it to 14 or maybe 12,1 asi in wis to 18 and put 2 asi in dex to get it to 20 and cha(maybe wis too) at 16? i do need to fix that.

If you character is still tier one (levels 1-4), you can totally rework your character and keep the same experience points, gold, and gear. Wish you started with different stats, proficiencies, even classes? You can change all of them if you are still tier one. Once your character gets to level 5, you are locked in though and can't change anything.

bid
2016-06-20, 05:30 PM
If you character is still tier one (levels 1-4), you can totally rework your character and keep the same experience points, gold, and gear. Wish you started with different stats, proficiencies, even classes? You can change all of them if you are still tier one. Once your character gets to level 5, you are locked in though and can't change anything.
That's an Adventure League rule, it might not apply.

RulesJD
2016-06-20, 05:41 PM
Hey, i need some advice on what my level total should be as a monk/warlock

my character is a half elf with the following stats
str 8
dex 16
con 10
int 8
wis 16
cha 16

im planing on going monk 8(woS)/ warlock 12(feind pact and pact of blades) but not sure if i should go that or monk 6/warlock 14.

i feel i should go monk 8/warlock 12 so i can have 5 ability score boosts instead of 4, but if i go 14 warlock i would get a bonus spell the 7th level spell (finger of death) and hurl through hell which are large damage spells..no clue, any thoughts? aslo unsure if i should max dex and cha and and 2 in wis or max dex and wis and 2 points in cha

1. Drop your Cha down to be at most 14. Put spare points into Con. You will die too easily otherwise.

2. Level Shadow Monk up to 6 first, ignore Warlock. Most important thing for you to get is Stunning Strike + Multiattack, followed by Shadow Step. Then, 2 levels of Warlock. After that it's up to you. 11 is nice for at-will Invisibility, but Warlock 3 gets you there practically speaking as well (through the actual Invisibility spell). None of the Invocations are really any good for you as a Monk, due to the fact that it's highly unlikely your campaign will reach the levels high enough to make it matter.

Farecry
2016-06-20, 05:51 PM
1. Drop your Cha down to be at most 14. Put spare points into Con. You will die too easily otherwise.

2. Level Shadow Monk up to 6 first, ignore Warlock. Most important thing for you to get is Stunning Strike + Multiattack, followed by Shadow Step. Then, 2 levels of Warlock. After that it's up to you. 11 is nice for at-will Invisibility, but Warlock 3 gets you there practically speaking as well (through the actual Invisibility spell). None of the Invocations are really any good for you as a Monk, due to the fact that it's highly unlikely your campaign will reach the levels high enough to make it matter.

You will want devil's sight invocation if you are going shadow monk.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-20, 06:02 PM
That's an Adventure League rule, it might not apply.

Oh, well hopefully he has a nice DM.

RulesJD
2016-06-20, 06:24 PM
You will want devil's sight invocation if you are going shadow monk.

Well yeah besides that one lol. I meant going deeper into Warlock wasn't terribly useful unless you are really attached to spell casting, in which case I'm not 100% sure why you are on the Monk chassis.

Midobatsu
2016-06-20, 06:45 PM
im not sure if my dm will allow that.. i know one of the players wont, so i might just have to up the con with asi
if they allow it though ill put con up to 14 though i doubt it

what book is this rebuilding from? i know you said adventurer's league but whats the exact name, i think they dont want to pass elemental evil

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-20, 06:54 PM
Yeah, either of those results is probably fine, although I'd rather go with the Wis 18 result for improved AC and Ki saving DC. Never underestimate how big stunning strike is going to be for you, it oftentimes makes you the MVP of the party. Stunning strike is huge.
EDIT: guess you edited your post, well you know what I'm talking about.

Midobatsu
2016-06-20, 07:08 PM
Yeah, either of those results is probably fine, although I'd rather go with the Wis 18 result for improved AC and Ki saving DC. Never underestimate how big stunning strike is going to be for you, it oftentimes makes you the MVP of the party. Stunning strike is huge.
EDIT: guess you edited your post, well you know what I'm talking about.

yea i edited it because i didnt notice this 2nd page and thought it was already answered so i didnt want to look dumb =x. i know what your talking about.. ill go
str 8
dex 20
con 12
int 8
wis 18
cha 16
thank you for the input, you have saved me a ton of head scratching :)
going to go open palm monk if i cant go long death

bid
2016-06-20, 07:15 PM
what book is this rebuilding from? i know you said adventurer's league but whats the exact name, i think they dont want to pass elemental evil
ALPGv3_print.pdf [Rage of Demons Edition: July 23, 2015 to March 15, 2016]
p7, Character Rebuilding

Veldrenor
2016-06-20, 07:22 PM
One thing to keep in mind if you go Long Death monk given that you're a fiend-lock, sources of temporary hitpoints don't stack. When you kill something Touch of Death and Dark One's Blessing won't combine to give you Wisdom modifier+monk level+Charisma modifier+warlock level temporary hitpoints, you'll get either your Touch of Death or your Dark One's Blessing temporary hitpoints.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-20, 08:03 PM
One thing to keep in mind if you go Long Death monk given that you're a fiend-lock, sources of temporary hitpoints don't stack. When you kill something Touch of Death and Dark One's Blessing won't combine to give you Wisdom modifier+monk level+Charisma modifier+warlock level temporary hitpoints, you'll get either your Touch of Death or your Dark One's Blessing temporary hitpoints.

This is a very good point.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-20, 08:05 PM
yea i edited it because i didnt notice this 2nd page and thought it was already answered so i didnt want to look dumb =x. i know what your talking about.. ill go
str 8
dex 20
con 12
int 8
wis 18
cha 16
thank you for the input, you have saved me a ton of head scratching :)
going to go open palm monk if i cant go long death

Sounds great, man, enjoy! The thing about 5e is that even though your ability scores are important, they're not nearly as crucial to having a playable character as some previous editions. You can have a character do just fine with less than optimal stats.

Veldrenor
2016-06-20, 08:35 PM
Depends on the GM. The most "GM-Proof" character is one that's non-adversarial participate in the games and makes a point of conceding some of their expectations to the GMs. A player that goes into a game with the attitude "What are we (me and the GM) trying to do here? And how can I support that?" Will rarely find their anything being unduly curbed. The player that goes in with the attitude "How can I do what I want regardless of the kind of game the GM wants to play, and how much can I try force away his hand with RAW" will almost always find the hand of god trying to swat them away.

If the GM is willing to change RAW as the OP points out, then there is obviously no bit of RAW that will stop the GM from doing what they want. There is literally no build, no class that the GM can't immediately brush aside with "It doesn't work that way because I say so". It's a losing battle so there's no point in going to look for the fight. Find a GM with expectations you share and strive to meet them for both your sakes, or back the **** off and stop trying to have your way when the only person that wants it.

You might be in the wrong thread. This is the one talking about monk/warlocks, the DM-proof character thread is currently further down.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-20, 08:43 PM
You might be in the wrong thread. This is the one talking about monk/warlocks, the DM-proof character thread is currently further down.

Mr. Moron gotta Mr. Moron. ;)

Mr.Moron
2016-06-20, 08:53 PM

Indeed I'll delete my post. How embarrassing. That's what tabbed browsing will do to ya.

Midobatsu
2016-06-20, 08:56 PM

i know i would not get both stack, but if i kill something at range i get temp hp from my fiend trait and up close my monk.. say i kill something at range id get say 4 temp hp from fiend if i move up and kill something up close and get 4 temp hp from monk do i have a total of 8 temp hp or does the 4 override the current 4?

Veldrenor
2016-06-20, 09:03 PM
i know i would not get both stack, but if i kill something at range i get temp hp from my fiend trait and up close my monk.. say i kill something at range id get say 4 temp hp from fiend if i move up and kill something up close and get 4 temp hp from monk do i have a total of 8 temp hp or does the 4 override the current 4?

The 4 overrides the current 4. When you have temp hitpoints and another source would give you temp hitpoints, the new source doesn't add on to the old like normal healing. You choose one of the two sources and keep that one.

Midobatsu
2016-06-20, 09:33 PM
The 4 overrides the current 4. When you have temp hitpoints and another source would give you temp hitpoints, the new source doesn't add on to the old like normal healing. You choose one of the two sources and keep that one.

hmmm i see...maybe fiend was a bad idea =x eh... i guess its fine the warlock side will be a death by range thing

thank you, regardless of that ill stick with long death since i got the ok to do so

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-20, 10:14 PM
hmmm i see...maybe fiend was a bad idea =x eh... i guess its fine the warlock side will be a death by range thing

thank you, regardless of that ill stick with long death since i got the ok to do so

Since you can use SCAG, maybe you should consider The Undying warlock class from SCAG. Thematically, it fits with the Long Death Monk and that 1st level trait that makes it hard for the undead to attack you is real nice. There's a lot of undead, ya know.

Midobatsu
2016-06-21, 05:50 PM
Since you can use SCAG, maybe you should consider The Undying warlock class from SCAG. Thematically, it fits with the Long Death Monk and that 1st level trait that makes it hard for the undead to attack you is real nice. There's a lot of undead, ya know.

cant switch stats once started no using rebuild rule otherwise id fix that dreaded 10 con mistake i made... gonna put it up to 12 with my first asi should of made it higher to begin with, kicking myself for not doing so in the first place...gotta live with it now =/

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-21, 06:24 PM
cant switch stats once started no using rebuild rule otherwise id fix that dreaded 10 con mistake i made... gonna put it up to 12 with my first asi should of made it higher to begin with, kicking myself for not doing so in the first place...gotta live with it now =/

I was just talking about doing a different path in warlock which you could still do if you were tier one and your DM isn't dickish.