PDA

View Full Version : Encounter Design Help: Forgemaster

Pope Scarface
2016-06-19, 08:12 PM
I'm looking for suggestions for an encounter. Shooting for the creature to be CR 4. The creature is a goblin forgemaster, and I'm looking for things to add to the Goblin Boss to bump it to CR 4 and give it some thematic abilities based on being a forgemaster. The only thing I've determined so far is that it is wearing an adamantine chain shirt, because it is a plot point that the goblins have access to adamantine, and resolving this encounter is to put an end to that problem.

gfishfunk
2016-06-20, 11:50 AM
I love these threads because I can make up so much stuff that I would not have room to put into my own games.

The flavor will be very location dependent. I'm assuming that this encounter will occur in the Forgemaster's forging area..... Also, I'm assuming this is sort of a 'boss style' character since you are looking for something specific to the forgemaster....

1. CR4 - by this, I'm assuming you mean just for the NPC, not for the entire encounter or whatever.

Forgemaster:

AC: 16
Special: the adamantine armor reduces all slashing / piercing / bludgeoning damage by 3 (similar to Heavy Armor Master feat).

Str: 16 (+3)
Dex: 13 (+1)
Con: 13 (+1)
Int: 10 (+0)
Wis 14 (+2)
Cha 8 (-1)

HP: 10d10 + 10
Speed: 25 ft

equipment:
Adamantine Armor
Maul of Forging (just a maul, but looks a giant smith's hammer): 2d6

Actions:
Multiattack: the Forgemaster may make one weapon attack with the Maul and one 'Call' Attack.

Maul: +6 to hit, 2d6+3 bludgeoning damage

Call: The Forgemaster can call up to the rafters where several goblins are working a lava trowel, normally used to pour lava into forging areas for heating adamantine for crafting. The Forgemaster will call out in goblin tongue to direct them to pour lava on someone. The target and all adjacent (within 5') creatures make a dex saving throw (with advantage if that specific creature is speaks goblin tongue). DC - say - 14. The target takes 2d4 on a failed save and adjacent creatures take 1d4 on a failed save. That space is now difficult terrain that deals 1d4 damage when stepping through it or at the beginning of each turn if occupied, but may be cooled by water or ice (magical or otherwise).

Pope Scarface
2016-06-20, 06:41 PM
Cool. I forgot to mention that the Forgemaster is supposed to have the possibility of escaping the PCs, and if he does, he joins the growing goblin anti-party (which attacks once enough of these bosses escape).

smcmike
2016-06-20, 07:50 PM
Pouring molten metal or magma is nice, I like that.

There should also be a big set of bellows which cause the primary fire to flare, dealing 1d4 fire damage nearby.

The forge master should have a heavy leather apron, mask, and gloves, which provide resistance to fire damage.

Also, there should be barrels of water in the room for the players to interact with. Steam effects!

manny2510
2016-06-20, 08:12 PM
He escapes by dousing the forge with clouds of steam and escaping through the chimney.

Occasional Sage
2016-06-20, 08:46 PM
What does he generally make? An encounter with a weaponsmith will be very different from an encounter with a clockwork artificer.

That said, I dig the lava and steam ideas. Expand on that: lighting will be dim and flaring, lots of smoke and noxious fumes. Force CON saves vs. various conditions from chemicals billowing through the air, which perhaps burn off when the bellows send that burst of flames through your space. Make the environment terrible and active, and the fight will be memorable all out of proportion.

Pope Scarface
2016-06-20, 10:14 PM
He forges weapons and armor.

gfishfunk
2016-06-21, 08:55 AM
What do you guys think about the stats, though? I went fairly low on the area effect damage because I was envisioning it lasting for multiple rounds and piling up.

Joe the Rat
2016-06-21, 10:37 AM
Call isn't inherent to the creature, but to the encounter. You now have a CR4 creature with a Lair Action, which is awesome.

Give him standard multiattack. Maul on a regular (small) goblin? Yikes. Maybe a Warhammer - then he can grab someone and smash them in the face.

Fire resistance wouldn't be out of place...

I think you're still in range for CR4 with that.

gfishfunk
2016-06-21, 10:52 AM
Call isn't inherent to the creature, but to the encounter. You now have a CR4 creature with a Lair Action, which is awesome.

Give him standard multiattack. Maul on a regular (small) goblin? Yikes. Maybe a Warhammer - then he can grab someone and smash them in the face.

Fire resistance wouldn't be out of place...

I think you're still in range for CR4 with that.

Most of my boss designs have a 'lair action' or a 'legendary action' of some sort, and I try to include things that provide terrain control as often as I can. It gives both the players and the monster reason to move around, which helps the encounter to feel less stagnant. I also like removing it from the Forgemaster, but having him flavor it by being involved. Give it its own initiative slot.

Agreed on lowering the weapon profile a little.