PDA

View Full Version : Warlock's Pact of the Chain question

Poltergeist
2016-06-20, 06:38 AM
I want to multiclass a few levels into Warlock and thus am choosing between Tome and Chain pacts.

Are Pact of the Chain's better familiars worth it, or simply getting the Find Familiar ritual is sufficient?

For Pact of the Tome, what are some good 1st-2nd level rituals you'll recommend?

MrFahrenheit
2016-06-20, 08:55 AM
1. If your DM allows the variant familiar rules, then absolutely! Also, given opposable thumbs (or dewclaws that replicate the same effect) + invisibility + decent dex scores = expendable minion to do all your thievery. Stands right behind you in combat to share magic resistance benefit. Since his own damage doesn't scale, he's better used on the helping front after early game, but still better than nothing.

2. Find familiar! Not as versatile as PoC's, but some hijinks can still ensue.

Dalebert
2016-06-20, 09:23 AM
It's a very subjective question that depends on plans for your character, of course, but I will give my reasons for picking tome with a character who dipped 3 levels of lock.

1) The extra utility ritual spells, even though just 1st and 2nd level, were really nice for a sorcerer with limited spells known. Unseen Servant (SO useful if you're smart with it), Detect Magic, Identify, Tensor's, Speak with Animals, Purify Food & Drink, Alarm, Magic Mouth, all added to my limited spells known.
2) If I did take the fancy familiar, I would feel obligated to take the accompanying invocation to make it worthwhile. If it had just been a freeby that didn't require you use an invocation, I would have given the fancy familiar more consideration.
3) I actually had plans for the blindsight of a bat. It can also see through magical darkness just a different way so I can darkness on its collar usually so I can move it wherever I want. But it also has the benefit of seeing invisible creatures so it can warn me of them and I can even target them with touch spells via the bat without disadvantage. So considering that a bat had some utility that the imp didn't even have, I opted for the package that gives me a bat familiar PLUS the other 1st and 2nd level ritual spells.

The imp is awesome though. Make sure you really exploit the crap out of it for scouting. If you don't have every area completely mapped out and know where all the (not well-hidden) monsters and a plan in place before moving in, you're doing it wrawng. I'm playing with a chain lock and he doesn't use his familiar enough to justify it IMHO.