PDA

View Full Version : Magelord Pre-reqs

Dhavaer
2007-06-29, 11:13 PM
Magelord (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050202a&page=2), from Lost Empires of Faerun.

The pre-reqs make it almost impossible to complete the PrC before epic levels, something that is apparently an error. How would you fix this?

Remove the requirement for Evasion? (This is apparently favoured by the class's creator)
Or lower the casting requirement to 4th or 3rd level spells?

I'd lower it to fourth, personally, it's a little too good to go into as a full caster.

Greyen
2007-06-29, 11:51 PM
Umm You could easily get into it at 12th level.

9 levels of caster for the 5th level casting req. Then either monk or rogue 2 for evasion. The skill and feat req are easy to cover at that point.
-------------------------
Edit : Sorry early morning post, You are talking about completing the PrC not entering it.

I would reduce the caster req to 4th.

MeklorIlavator
2007-06-29, 11:56 PM
Personally, I agree with Dhavaer, to lower spell casting to 3th or 4th. You lose a few caster levels, making it "hurt", but you get a ton of nice abilities. Forth would probably be better, as it is pretty powerful.

brian c
2007-06-30, 12:05 AM
Hm... what race has Evasion as a "racial trait" ? If one actually exists, then just be that race and take some caster levels.

Mavian
2007-06-30, 12:59 AM
Shadow Creature Template in Lords of Madness gives Evasion as one of its possible features, with a + 2 LA,

Then just go straight wizard

Tor the Fallen
2007-06-30, 01:00 AM
Shadow Creature Template in Lords of Madness gives Evasion as one of its possible features, with a + 2 LA,

Then just go straight wizard

It'd probably be better to take monk2 or rogue2 for the HD/saves/skill points/BAB.

Quietus
2007-06-30, 01:12 AM
It'd probably be better to take monk2 or rogue2 for the HD/saves/skill points/BAB.

A monk/caster hybrid? BLASPH... wait... I like it!

Nebo_
2007-06-30, 01:22 AM
Combat Medic from Heroes of battle gets evasion and full casting, but the flavour doesn't work well with magelord. The creator of the class is reported to have said that he intended that it was 4th level spells, not 5th.

Mavian
2007-06-30, 01:28 AM

True, but the Shadow Creature Template also gives you a speed increase, 4 special qualities, a choice of special abilities (1 per 4 HD) a

And unlike class levels the LA can be bought off

Tor the Fallen
2007-06-30, 01:38 AM
True, but the Shadow Creature Template also gives you a speed increase, 4 special qualities, a choice of special abilities (1 per 4 HD) a

And unlike class levels the LA can be bought off

1 special ability (since I guess you have 1 HD from your race), which is evasion. 4 special qualities could be... cool I guess. 2 levels of monk gives you 2 HD, all good saves, 3/4 BAB, 4+int skill points, and two bonus feats. Improved grapple and deflect arrows can both be pretty decent for a caster, esp. at low levels.

If mechanics were my only consideration, I'd go with monk or rogue.

Ramza00
2007-06-30, 01:40 AM
I don't believe its shadow creature, but there is a a "shadow template" in unapproachable ast for 1 la, roleplaying, and some gold.

Also the shape soulmeld option in Magic of Incarnum. Of course this takes even more feats and you are feat strapped as it is.

Rad
2007-06-30, 02:19 AM
It is a very nice continuation for an arcane trickster :-) Oh, and it is also another way to break the Ultimate Magus PrC.

As for the concern about not finishing it... I am usually ambarassed when PrCs finish before you get epic, then you have to level outside of it so I would not see that as an issue. I see no real reason not to have a lower spellcasting requirement though. Usually multiclassing PrCs have pretty low requirements for each of the intended entry classes.

Mavian
2007-06-30, 02:31 AM
1 special ability (since I guess you have 1 HD from your race), which is evasion. 4 special qualities could be... cool I guess. 2 levels of monk gives you 2 HD, all good saves, 3/4 BAB, 4+int skill points, and two bonus feats. Improved grapple and deflect arrows can both be pretty decent for a caster, esp. at low levels.

If mechanics were my only consideration, I'd go with monk or rogue.

Buying off the LA and replacing it with wizard gets you the 2HD, increases your casting, allowing you to get in before 10 level so you can finish it at twenty. so you lose the BAB, which as a caster isn't really all that important, and a couple of feats, and the saves.

And since the Shadow Creature template doesn't specify racial hit dice, you get 1 ability ever 4 HD, including those from class levels.

Tor the Fallen
2007-06-30, 02:33 AM
Buying off the LA and replacing it with wizard gets you the 2HD, increases your casting, allowing you to get in before 10 level so you can finish it at twenty. so you lose the BAB, which as a caster isn't really all that important, and a couple of feats, and the saves.

And since the Shadow Creature template doesn't specify racial hit dice, you get 1 ability ever 4 HD, including those from class levels.

That's only if you can buy off LA. I was working under the standard assumption that you can't.

cupkeyk
2007-06-30, 12:16 PM
I am considering the possibility that a Divine Oracle's Prescient Sense class feature would qualify as evasion for meeting the prerequisites of Magelord. So, with DM approval or with rules lawyerage interpretation of RAW, a Wizard5, Divine Oracle4 will qualify for Magelord.