PDA

View Full Version : Artificer dip for multiclass

schreier
2016-06-20, 01:18 PM
I am working on a crafter, and was curious how a crafting caster could use a dip in artificer (if at all) to meet requirements for spells.

Making an item has a minimum level for the creation, plus specific requirements (certain spells, etc)

If you had a wizard 19/artificer 1 - could the wizard craft an item that required a level 4 Cleric spell? What about a level 4 Paladin spell? You have a caster level of 19 if taking the higher of the two, or 22 if adding them together ...

Worst case would be using a caster level equal to the required skills (so this person would be a 19 caster on wizard items, or a level 3 with artificer)

Any thoughts?

Gildedragon
2016-06-20, 02:35 PM
Yes. Just as if the wizard were using a scroll of the stuff

But honestly; ditch the wizard levels. Pure artificer is amazing
Or midgard dwarf it up

schreier
2016-06-20, 03:00 PM
Yes means a 19 Wizard/1 Artificer could UMD a 4th level cleric spell but count as a level 19?

Gildedragon
2016-06-20, 03:06 PM
Yes means a 19 Wizard/1 Artificer could UMD a 4th level cleric spell but count as a level 19?

I ain't sure about that. But I figure it would work as a collaboration.
As if a wizard 19 and an artificer 1 worked on the same item.

schreier
2016-06-20, 04:29 PM
Basically - there are 2 pieces in a lot of items. There is a minimum caster level, and certain spells.

For the caster level, I would think you could definitely use either class. But if you don't have the spell in the main caster, you may need to use your artificer level ....

For the spells - if it is not on your list, can you use the artificer class UMD even if you used the casting class's caster level?

For determining if you can add a spell - is there a minimum artificer level for a spell? I know it counts as +2 - the example in the book is a lvl 3 (equivalent to 5) making a fireball scroll. If there is a minimum level - what is it? For example, do you use the artificer infusion chart (so never making anything above level 6) ... do you use the wizard/cleric chart (so lvl 17 lets you make anything)? What about a paladin or ranger spell? A paladin level 4 is a level 14 paladin for example ...

An example would be a wizard 19/1 artificer 1 trying to put favor of the martyr (level 4 paladin) on a magic item as a constant effect. Is that possible?

So the two options are:
level 19 caster, using UMD to create a level 4 spell
or a level 3 caster, which will automatically fail since he's below the caster level I'm sure (but if he was level 5, he would be a lvl 7 caster, so could do it)

At least as far as I see it

Maxrim
2016-06-21, 01:16 AM
You can UMD to emulate requirements like an Artificer, and do so with a caster level of 21 (19+2 from Artificer's Item Creation).

schreier
2016-06-21, 06:22 AM
Just found this:
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20041207a

"If you are multiclassed, you may have different caster levels for the spells you have by virtue of your various classes. For example, a 4th-level paladin/5th level sorcerer has a caster lever of 2 for paladin spells and a caster level of 5 for sorcerer spells..." (which is obvious ... it then goes on to say "If you draw on different classes to get access to different spells you need for an item, you must use the lowest of the various applicable caster levels."

Oh well ... that seems definitive sadly. The 19 Wizard / 1 Artificer would be a level 3 caster for making items that require any non-wizard spells.

It's good to get an answer directly from a source