PDA

View Full Version : Optimization List of ways to make Unarmed Strikes/Natural Attacks ranged

Jowgen
2016-06-20, 01:25 PM
Very simple, I just want to make a quick shortlist of the different ways by which you can make a creature's Unarmed Strikes and/or natural attacks be ranged attacks rather than melee attacks. The point is just to compare options.

What I have down so far:

- Ring the Golden Bell (feat, Dragon comp)
- Bloodstorm Blade PrC
- +1 Throwing Amulet of Natural weapons
- Blood Wind spell

What else?

Psyren
2016-06-20, 01:33 PM
The Manticore Belt soulmeld gives you a ranged natural attack. Not sure if that meets your criteria though since it's not converting on existing one, but on the other hand, any of your stuff that buffs all natural attacks (e.g. an AoMF you're already wearing) will work on it too.

ShurikVch
2016-06-20, 02:05 PM
2 more feats (for completeness): Detach from Savage Species, and Ki Barrage from Dragon #306

Flickerdart
2016-06-20, 02:06 PM
There's a great way to make someone else's natural attacks into your ranged attacks:

https://rulestweak.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/83327.jpg

Also, a Kensai can add throwing to his natural attacks.

Prime32
2016-06-20, 02:17 PM
I have a list of ranged attack forms for monks here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=10747.0;msg=180474).

Jowgen
2016-06-21, 11:57 AM
Okay, so things that meet the NA=>RA qualifier that can be added thus far:

- Kensai PrC
- Ki Barrage feat (Drg 306)
- Northern Fist Mastery style-feat (Drg 315)
- Detach feat

ShurikVch
2016-06-22, 01:21 PM
One more previously unmentioned thing: Lightning Throw maneuver from Tome of Battle

Andezzar
2016-06-22, 01:38 PM
- +1 Throwing Amulet of Natural weapons
You forgot Returning. with that item your Unarmed Strike is gone once you throw it.

Jowgen
2016-06-22, 02:31 PM
One more previously unmentioned thing: Lightning Throw maneuver from Tome of Battle

I think technically that is a "melee attack at range", but I'd say it qualifies.

You forgot Returning. with that item your Unarmed Strike is gone once you throw it.

The qualifier for the list is that it makes the US/NA ranged, not that it makes it ranged and used repeatably. :smalltongue:

On serious note, while I don't see how this would work with unarmed strikes (especially if IUS is in play), I can admittedly see that being an issue with a lot of Natural Weapons. Shall make note, thank you.

Tiri
2016-06-22, 10:59 PM
You could Polymorph into a Golothoma and use the Assume Supernatural Ability feat to get its ability to use claw attacks at range. It has 18 HD, so by that level you might have Shapechange instead.