PDA

View Full Version : So, I'm a Sorcerer...

zerojjc
2016-06-20, 05:47 PM
...and so far it's been fun. We play weekly and I tend to play melee but I decided to change it up. We began at lvl 6 and I chose Wild Magic, which has already back-fired on me at one point (I lost all of my beautiful highly charismatic hair). So I wanted to reach out to some more seasoned Sorcerer players and see if you all have any tips, tricks, or insight that you'd like to share about the Sorcerer spells and such. It could even be some interesting or fun ways you've used certain spells in your game. Since i'm fairly new to the caster class i'd enjoy all the inspiration I can find :smallsmile:

Here is a list of my spells in case you're interested:
(Cantrips) - Acid Splash, Friends, Fire Bolt, Frostbite, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation.
(1st) - Magic Missile, Thunderwave, Shield.
(2nd) - Maximillian's Earthen Grasp, Misty Step.
(3rd) - Blink, Hypnotic Pattern.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-20, 06:11 PM
Love that you picked Wild Magic, it's a super fun and cool Sorc to play. Just try to cast most of your spells more than 30 feet away from your party members so you don't give them any possibly negative effects from Wild Surge, but most of them are positive anyway.

Make sure to use your Tides of Chaos ability as much as possible, you can use it as much as you like as long as you take those Wild Surges, but that's the whole point, right?

I'd recommend getting Chromatic Orb as a first level spell, you can Twin it for some great damage. Scorching Ray and Mirror Image are good second level spells. Fireball and Counterspell are probably the most popular 3rd level spells.

Specter
2016-06-20, 10:31 PM
I'd like to know what are your metamagic options to give better advice.

famousringo
2016-06-21, 02:59 AM
Wild sorcerer is the best debuffer in the game. Take a save or suck spell, Twin or Heighten it, target the nastiest thing(s) on the battlefield, and Bend Luck on their saving throw. Costs a lot of sorcery points, but it wins encounters in a big way.

Good spells to use with this include Suggestion, Phantasmal Force, Banishment, Polymorph, Hold Person/Monster, and if you're already using your concentration, Blindness/Deafness. Get a few so you can target an enemy's weak save.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-21, 05:39 AM
Wild sorcerer is the best debuffer in the game. Take a save or suck spell, Twin or Heighten it, target the nastiest thing(s) on the battlefield, and Bend Luck on their saving throw. Costs a lot of sorcery points, but it wins encounters in a big way.

Good spells to use with this include Suggestion, Phantasmal Force, Banishment, Polymorph, Hold Person/Monster, and if you're already using your concentration, Blindness/Deafness. Get a few so you can target an enemy's weak save.

Yeah! I can see how that would be really great with the right spell.

zerojjc
2016-06-21, 08:06 AM
I'd like to know what are your metamagic options to give better advice.

I took Quickened Spell & Twinned Spell.

Socratov
2016-06-21, 11:21 AM
I can recommend this guide (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468899-GUIDE-Playing-Dice-with-the-Universe-A-Slant-Guide-to-Wild-Magic-Sorcerer).

Not only will it answer all your questions (and mine, in time), but it has been written very funnily as well.

I personally got (houserules) starting feat and bonus feat for some other rule changes. I got Spell sniper and Magic initiate to get 1 ranged attack cantrip, 1 melee attack cantrip and utility rest (so fun, i can really recommend mold earth and light for tricks)

Then the answer is get more spells. Good ones are included in the guide and specified before. I have, especially, had fun with Chromatic Orb. Other fun ones include Hold Person/Monster, Shield, etc. Just about any spell can be fun as long as you interpret it that way and get creative with your metamagic choices. by the way, if you like dealing damage with your spells (which I do because it'f un and my ingame int is like 8), be sure to pick up empower metamagic. Very useful.

famousringo
2016-06-21, 11:40 AM

Quicken combines nicely with Earthen Grasp. Use your action to direct the hand, then Quicken a full spell, but note that you can't do that the same turn you conjure the hand. There are a couple of other spells that can be used this way. Telekinesis and Sunbeam.

Careful not to burn too many resources. Sorcerers can chew through spell slots and sorcery points in record time. A quick burn at the start of an encounter to seize the momentum is a good idea. And BBEGs are obviously pedal to the metal.

zerojjc
2016-06-21, 05:20 PM
Quicken combines nicely with Earthen Grasp. Use your action to direct the hand, then Quicken a full spell, but note that you can't do that the same turn you conjure the hand. There are a couple of other spells that can be used this way. Telekinesis and Sunbeam.

Careful not to burn too many resources. Sorcerers can chew through spell slots and sorcery points in record time. A quick burn at the start of an encounter to seize the momentum is a good idea. And BBEGs are obviously pedal to the metal.

The only thing I found with Earthen grasp is after its initial cast, if/when the enemy moves away I would have to waste an action to move, and another to attack. So i almost have to quicken spell it to make it useful after initial cast.

famousringo
2016-06-22, 12:59 AM
The only thing I found with Earthen grasp is after its initial cast, if/when the enemy moves away I would have to waste an action to move, and another to attack. So i almost have to quicken spell it to make it useful after initial cast.

Yeah, it can be a little demanding. Best if placed near choke points or something you want to protect. If any of your team can force movement toward it, that's obviously a good idea. You can also try luring them towards it. Move back to it and use it as cover from ranged fire, and anybody who wants to tackle the wild mage will have to wrestle an earthen hand first. If they're all too scared of it, spend your action on something else and consider it a defensive spell.

Specter
2016-06-22, 08:27 AM

Against a single enemy, you can attack with a cantrip and then Quicken Hypnotic Pattern in the hopes that it will fail the save. If it doesn't, at least you dealt some damage.

Thunderwave is not good for metamagic. You should take more single-target stuff like Ray of Sickness, Ice Knife and Hold Person to twin and wreak havoc. I'd also trade Blink for Fly.

If at all possible, take two Fighter levels for Action Surge. That with quickened really breaks the game.

Dalebert
2016-06-22, 09:25 AM
Blink is not concentration though so you can use it and still do crowd control or something else. It's a great self-defense buff to have up while you're still capable of other things. It's SO frustrating to have a ton of spells to choose and so many of them are concentration.

Adderbane
2016-06-22, 10:27 AM
Depending on how much noncombat situations come up, Subtle spell is rally good

Dalebert
2016-06-22, 10:41 AM
Subtle is good in many combat situations also. It's a lot easier to maintain concentration when you're not being targeted specifically to break it because no one knows you're the caster. You can do other things to further obscure it like use Disguise Self to not look like a caster. Coordinate with a tank in your party and hold your concentration spell to go off on their turn right after they say some magicky words and do a magicky gesture (a free action).