PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next An augmented "Oath of the eternal flame" [PEACH]

Feuerphoenix
2016-06-20, 07:31 PM
Hey guys,

first of all, most of this work is not my own, but the user OwenLeaf from dandwiki.com and his Oath of the Eternal Flame (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Oath_of_the_Eternal_Flame_(5e_Archetype)).

As I saw it for the first time, I fell in love with the oath's theme. But some things were not what I would consider as "beeing paladin like". Basically it was the oath about leadership, which I changed to protect the ones who do not disturb the balance, and add two spells for the theme of that (Sanctuary and Spirit Guardians, in exchange of command and revivify), and as the Phoenix being a central topic of the oath, I exchanged flame strike with a home-brewed spell "conjure phoenix", where you can conjure this phoenix (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Young_Phoenix_(5e_Creature)), but with lowered Hotpoint's (around 20-40 less, I still have to consider about that).

The most obvious change is its level 7 ability. Yes, true sight is strong, but on the other hand, it becomes available at level 18, and can be used twice at max, when you exceeded LV 19 with your paladin. Also it eats up a very rare resource. The dispelled ability+con success is an addition to keep this spell strong enough to consider it later on.

In the end, I exchanged a little thing a the capstone, namely being under protection from evil and good to being immune to fire, to stick more close towards phoenix and stuff, and replaced being immune to become frightened with immune to become blinded, as immunity to become frightened is already an aura and does not make sense.

PEACHing is always appreciated :)

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJM6viUH

Feuerphoenix
2016-06-21, 07:07 AM
Oath is now linked :)

JRDS
2016-06-21, 10:18 AM
For Red Knight's Blessing, the level 18 feature, does the person you grant the bonus to also gain Truesight?

Feuerphoenix
2016-06-21, 01:27 PM
No, only you. Two characters with true sight is a little bit too strong. :P

Feuerphoenix
2016-06-21, 08:40 PM
I would really appreciate a feedback. Is this oath on par with PHB Oaths, or is it too weak/ too strong?

JRDS
2016-06-21, 09:05 PM
Armor of Othrys is based on ARMOR OF AGATHYS, yeah?

I think your version though is strictly better. More Temp HP and comparable damage. The @ higher levels part is a bit wonky though; you're using the same bonus for ARMOR OF AGATHYS, but your spell doesn't work exactly the same way so you might want to reword it?

I think that your Capstone is good, but I find the vulnerability aura to be a bit... weird. Like, why should a fire elemental suddenly become vulnerable to fire, see? It ties in nicely though with all of your fire damage.

The level 15 ability seems to be a little bit too strong in comparison with the PHB. Compare it to the Oath of the Ancients level 15 feature.

Aside from that I think it's good.

Feuerphoenix
2016-06-22, 07:36 AM
Good points. So maybe exchange Armor of Othrys with Agathys and change the cold damage to fire damage? I did not really think about this spell, to be honest, I thought it was created to keep the flavor. ( and call this Armor of Othrys)

Well Why vulnerability? You are a knight of balance, taking this form, gives you absolute power to burn away, what threatens the balance. It is not, that their body, but their soul is burning, and this is what you attack in this form. I think it is pretty ok as a capstone, and with phoenix and fire as main topics, it feels somehow right.

The LV 15 ability is indeed pretty good. But still I like the flavor. Maybe changing it to sth like the warlock of the undying light.

Searing Vengeance
Starting at 6th level, the radiant energy you channel allows you to overcome grievous injuries. When you would make a death saving throw, you can instead spring back to your feet with a burst of radiant energy. You immediately stand up (if you so choose), and you regain hit points equal to half your hit point maximum. All hostile creatures within 30 feet of you take 10 + your Charisma modifier radiant damage and are blinded until the end of your turn.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Maybe weaking it, but this comes pretty close to what I imagine a phoenix knight come back ability. Probably removing the blinding aspect and reduce the HP and add one or two levels of exhaustion to keep the balance. What do you think?

Feuerphoenix
2016-06-23, 04:29 PM
The sheet has been updated, please share your thoughts with me :)

JRDS
2016-06-25, 10:47 AM
I think it's good. :)

Feuerphoenix
2016-06-27, 01:52 PM
Thanks :) This is the final version, I don't want to change it anymore, but if I overlooked sth, mentioning it is always welcome :)

Feuerphoenix
2017-09-10, 10:18 AM
Hey guys, I reworked the oath, to bring more in line with the other oaths.

1. Armor of Othrys was rebalanced around 1d6 fire damage (and scaling), to ensure to make it a worse version of Armor of Agathys ( 30% damage loss+ weaker damage type).

2. Reincarnate was removed, as the list felt a little too powerful in its current state, and was replaced by flame strike.

3. The lv 7 ability was shown to be too strong, to give a the full spectrum of a lv 7 feature to a PC. It was rebalanced around choosing between 3 different combinations of creature types to resist against. This way a DM may still "tech" against the ability, while at the same time it is keeping its usefulness as these creatures are much easier to fight. In order to prevent the obvious choice fiends+undead, the combinations of creature types was already made with one more, and one less often appearing creature type.
Still the paladin may switch between the types during a long rest.

4. The lv 15 ability mirrors the lv 14 ability of the revised warlock (celestial patron). But instead of a flat "regain half total" the ability burns through all Hitdice you have left. This way it has a clear downside, especially if you have a low amount of long rests.

5. The lv 20 ability directly maxes out all fire damage you deal during the one minute. This gives a much better and closer feeling of a lv20 ability.

PEACH of always welcome. Have nice day :)