PDA

View Full Version : You Say Anachronism Like It's A Bad Thing

Neon Knight
2007-06-30, 12:19 AM
Alrighty. Once more I come begging to you for aid with a character(s). This time, the concept is interesting: A walking anachronism.

Basically, I've got a couple of concepts, and I'd like to see if you guys have any idea how to make them work/how to make them mechanically feasible/ how to make them rule. I'd like to avoid builds involving bows, Rogues, Scouts, and Use Magic Device if at all possible.

IDEA 1: Rifleman. Basically, an attempt to replicate a rifleman. I was thinking a repeating crossbow, and heavy use of grenade like items.

IDEA 2: Riot Shield. Every seen those SWAT officers with the huge shields and a pistol? Think a medival version of that, using tower shields and hand crossbows.

IDEA 3: Heavy Weapons Guy: Uses an oversized magically enchanted crossbow. The enchants make the bolts explode. Bascially a magical bazooka user.

IDEAS ON HOW TO MAKE THE ABOVE WORK: See if any D20 Modern feats could be applied. Also hombrew some stuff. Maybe a feat that lets you empty the clip on a repeating crossbow in one go.

Jasdoif
2007-06-30, 12:28 AM
For a start.
IDEA 3: Heavy Weapons Guy: Uses an oversized magically enchanted crossbow. The enchants make the bolts explode. Bascially a magical bazooka user.Complete Warrior has the Explosive weapon ability. Hits deal extra damage in a 5-foot spread. You can put this on a ranged weapon, which will bestow the property on ammunition it fires.

Leon
2007-06-30, 01:46 AM
Alrighty. Once more I come begging to you for aid with a character(s). This time, the concept is interesting: A walking anachronism.

Basically, I've got a couple of concepts, and I'd like to see if you guys have any idea how to make them work/how to make them mechanically feasible/ how to make them rule. I'd like to avoid builds involving bows, Rogues, Scouts, and Use Magic Device if at all possible.

IDEA 1: Rifleman. Basically, an attempt to replicate a rifleman. I was thinking a repeating crossbow, and heavy use of grenade like items.

IDEA 2: Riot Shield. Every seen those SWAT officers with the huge shields and a pistol? Think a medival version of that, using tower shields and hand crossbows.

IDEA 3: Heavy Weapons Guy: Uses an oversized magically enchanted crossbow. The enchants make the bolts explode. Bascially a magical bazooka user.

IDEAS ON HOW TO MAKE THE ABOVE WORK: See if any D20 Modern feats could be applied. Also hombrew some stuff. Maybe a feat that lets you empty the clip on a repeating crossbow in one go.

One answer for them all - Look at Iron Kingdoms stuff, you will be able to fit out any and all of your concepts quite well

Armads
2007-06-30, 06:31 AM

Lug a ship around with a ballista attached. Add all sorts of damage increasers like Triple-Capsules (from CAdv) and the Quickflame, Quickfrost, Quickspark (or wassit electricity) and get sneak attack. Turn invisible and fire. Marvel at hitting a vital part with a BALLISTA.

Inyssius Tor
2007-06-30, 09:23 AM
I would say that the entire upper half of your body would count as vital, yes...

Why a ship, though? Shrink item can't be that hard to get.

Neon Knight
2007-06-30, 09:28 AM
One answer for them all - Look at Iron Kingdoms stuff, you will be able to fit out any and all of your concepts quite well

Not quite what I'm looking for.

Kizara
2007-06-30, 12:01 PM
1) repeating crossbow + rapid reload feat
Now, get a magical one the does all the goodness you want, but have it cosmetically look like a real-life rifle. Just insist that mechanically its just a "magical repeating crossbow" and your DM will likely allow it.
Also, heavy crossbow + brilliant energy enchantment = bowcaster from Star Wars.

2) Just find a feat that lets you use a handcrossbow in one hand (gotta be one somewhere), rapid reload feat for a more pistol-like feel, and then take fighter + tower shield proficiency feat for your shield/armor. Is this build kinda silly yes? Is it mechanically doable? Also yes.

3) Take Monkey Grip for a heavy crossbow. You now have a Huge Heavy Crossbow (read: ballista), get it enchanted with exploding ammunition (CWar), seeking (missile-like feel) (CAdv I think) and probably distance (maybe not though). Take fighter levels, get heavy armor for the whole look.

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-01, 06:13 AM
Riot Police don't use guns much. I'd just give them Large/Tower shields, "disability" grenades(Tanglefoot, etc. Non-lethal subduing), and Clubs. Maybe Light Maces/Hammers if they're the elite.

Funkyodor
2007-07-01, 08:08 AM
Take some points in use magic device then maybe a Oversized Repeating Crossbow with an attached Wand of Fireballs. Make it a customizable feature that can be changed out with a Wand of Lightning Bolts or Wand of Wall of Fog (for the smoke grenade effect of course). Carry around various 'magazines' of ammunition. Make one Humanoid Bane & Merciful for 'Riot' suppression, another Holy and Undead Bane, or another Seeking and Distance Mag when fighting pesky foes like shadows & ghosts. Give him a beret of charisma and call him Gung-ho or something like that.