PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need a hand understanding AoO with acrobatics.

Barbarian Horde
2016-06-20, 08:01 PM
Source:

http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9nic
Acrobatics allows you to make checks to move through the threatened area of foes without provoking attacks of opportunity. You must make a check the moment you attempt to leave a square threatened by an enemy, but only once per foe. The DC (which is based of the Combat Maneuver Defense of each foe), increases by +2 for each foe after the first in one round. The DC also increases by +5 if you attempt to move through a foe. In the case of moving out of the threatened square of two foes at the same time, the moving character decides which check to make first.

For example, a rogue is flanked by a meek goblin and a terrifying antipaladin. The rogue move away from both of them, provoking an attack of opportunity from both, but uses Acrobatics to attempt to negate them. She must move at half speed while threatened by these foes and can choose which to check against first. If she fails a check, she provokes an attack of opportunity from that foe. If she makes it, she does not provoke from moving through that foe's threatened space this turn.
---------------------------------------------------
So if I run through a threaten space then decide to leave it then does that mean two checks or one?

Kira_the_5th
2016-06-20, 08:39 PM
You only provoke an attack of opportunity when you leave the threatened square. If you're only moving 1 square, you can just 5 ft. step to avoid provoking. If you want to move 10 ft. or more (up to half of your normal speed), you need to either a) make an Acrobatics check against your opponent's CMD, or b) soak the AoO.

Moving through a single threatened square means you only provoke 1 AoO when you leave. If you provoked from entering a threatened square, then everyone would get to make attacks at range, since getting into melee would require moving into a threatened space, and therefore provoke.

Barbarian Horde
2016-06-20, 08:51 PM
I get that but if I do something like this how many rolls or just the one would work?
https://s31.postimg.org/u9zkbaot7/Example.png

Would it be one for moving through threaten space and one for leaving it? Or do you just need the one seeing how it says it only one check per enemy.

martixy
2016-06-20, 09:04 PM
I get that but if I do something like this how many rolls or just the one would work?
https://s31.postimg.org/u9zkbaot7/Example.png

You make a single check (once per foe), when, for the first time you leave a square that foe threatens.

Geddy2112
2016-06-20, 09:59 PM
You make a single check (once per foe), when, for the first time you leave a square that foe threatens.

Correct, this is even true if the foe has the ability to make multiple AoO's, you check once at the first time you would provoke.

The Random NPC
2016-06-22, 03:01 AM
Any action you take generally only provokes one AoO per enemy. So in the situation described by the picture, you only provoke once, and only have to make one Acrobatics check.
EDIT: I was wrong, see below for the correct answer.

Seppo87
2016-06-22, 03:24 AM
"Leaving threatened space" and "moving in threatened space" are not what provokes an aoo.

"Leaving a threatened square" does.

This is the first cause of misunderstandings for aoo rules.

Also note: the same movement only provokes once per opponent even if you leave multiple threatened squares. This is an exception to the general rule.
In general the same action can provoke multiple aoos if it includes multiple triggers.
I.e. a character without improved unarmed strike attacks unarmed a barbarian with come and get me. That's 2 aoos.

This is the second cause of misunderstandings on aoos rules