PDA

View Full Version : New Pathfinder Class

Zedleppin
2016-06-20, 09:38 PM
Hey All! This is my first time posting on this site so I thought I'd hit the ground running and see if everyone here could help me finish off a class i'm inthe works with. Let me know what you think :)

Sublime Blade
Monk/Samurai (Sword Saint)
BAB: cleric
Hd: D8
Saves: reflex and will
Stats needed: dex and wisdom

Proficiency: no armour, katana, wakazashi, scimitar, bastard sword, long sword, short sword, cutlass, nodachi.

1) Quick Draw, ki pool, Flash strike
Flash strike: once per round, as an attack action, the Sublime Blade can draw his weapon as a part of a devastating lightning quick attack. If successful the attack an additional +1d6 points of damage. This damage is precision based and is not multiplied on a critical hit. At 3rd level, and every 2 levels thereafter, this damage increases by +1d6 (to a maximum of +10d6 at 19th level).

Ki pool: You gain a ki pool equal to 1/2 your class level + your wisdom modifier. As long as you have 1 ki point remaining you may perform your Flash Strike, and are always considered to have a running start for any Acrobatics check.

If you spend a ki point not in conjunction with a Blade Talent, you may add an additional attack at your highest attack bonus, add 20ft to you movement, or add +4 dodge bonus to your AC for 1 round.

At 10th level he also reduces the DC of any acrobatics checks made to jump by 1/2.

2) Evasion, Blade Talent.
Blade Talents: Will be added at a later date.

3) Finese Training: The Sublime Blade now adds his Dexterity to attacks and damage.

4) Weapon Training, Blade Talent
Weapon Training: Starting at 4th level, a Sublime Blade gains a +1 bonus on attack damage. This only can applied to a single weapon of his choosing which can never be changed.

5) Brutal Slash (Ex): At 3rd level, a Sublime Blade’s flash strike becomes even more deadly. If a Sublime Blade threatens a critical hit with his iaijutsu strike, he adds a bonus equal to 1/2 his class level to the attack roll to confirm a critical hit.

6) Vital Strike, Blade Talent
Vital Strike: At 6th level gains Vital Strike as a bonus feat, even he does not have the prerequisites for the feat.

7) Iaijutsu (Ex): At 7th level, a Sublime Blade applies his Wisdom modifier as well as his Dexterity modifier on initiative rolls (minimum 0). A Sublime Blade may also make attacks of opportunity when flat-footed.

8) Weapon Training +2, Blade Talent

9) Guided Blade: After so much practice of slashing with lightning speed, the Sublime Blade now adds his Wisdom to attack and damage with his chosen weapon.

10) Sublime Talents, Talent, Cleave
Sublime Talents: More power talents to choose from. Will be added at a later date.
Improved Evasion (Ex).

11) Superior Reflexes (Ex): At 11th level, the Sublime Blade can make a number of attacks of opportunity in a round equal to his Wisdom modifier (minimum 1). This effect stacks with the Combat Reflexes feat.

12) Weapon Training +3, Improved Vital Strike, Talent
Improved Vital Strike: At 12th level the Sublime Blade gains the Improved Vital Strike as a bonus feat, even if he does not have the prerequisites.

13) Great Cleave

14) Talent

15) AC bonus: At 15th level a Sublime Blade now adds his Wisdom modifier to his AC for every category.

16) Weapon Training +4, Talent

17) Greater Vital Strike: At 17th level a Sublime Blade gains Greater Vital Strike as a bonus feat, even he does not have the prerequisites.

18) Talent

19) Insightful reflexes: As a show of dedicated training, a Sublime Blade now adds his Wisdom modifier as well as his Dexterity modifier to his reflex saves.

20) Weapon Mastery, Weapon Training +5, Talent.
Weapon Mastery: At 20th level a Sublime Blade has surpassed most other mortals in the way of the sword. Any attacks made with his chosen weapon automatically confirm all critical threats and their damage multiplier is increased by +1 (x2 becomes x3, for example). In addition, he cannot be disarmed while wielding his chosen weapon.

bookguy
2016-06-24, 06:23 PM
Hello Zedleppin, and welcome! There are a few things about this class at which I think you might want to take a second look.

Flash Strike, as written, can be done in the same turn as sheathing a weapon. I don't necessarily think there's a balance problem here, since you have to take an AoO, but from a flavor perspective it seems kind of strange. Also, you can't do a flash strike with a charge, which is exactly what I'd expect to be able to do if I played a character of this class.

Overall, the class seems to grant a lot of offensive bonuses and virtually no defensive bonuses. That could lead to very fragile glass cannons, even if the player intended otherwise.

If you're granting Great Cleave as a bonus feat, you should grant Cleave as a bonus feat at a lower level (only because players will expect it).

This class seems primarily combat-focused, so it should have a full BAB.

You should specify whether or not Finesse Training stacks with Weapon Finesse.

Bookkeeping: You have a number of typos (inthe, Finese). The more clearly this is presented, the more likely people will read it and respond. Iaijutsu Strike is mentioned in Brutal Slash, but the ability itself is never awarded or explained. Also, you need to add skill points and class skills.

Good luck as you continue working and I look forward to seeing the completed class!