PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Custom rule set to brutally murder/challenger your PC's.

p_johnston
2016-06-20, 09:42 PM
Hey all I've been running a 5e game for a couple months now with a new custom rule set, tweaking it as I go. I figured I'd post the rules changes here to see what the playground thought of them. Also any constructive suggestions would be welcome. If anyone has any question feel free to ask.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!Ah1xkdAG-Z8vgUKMFX38wmh9AxCF

1) I straight up stole the Dragon Dice idea from a dragon age game we tried for a couple of sessions. I liked the rule and not the setting.
2) I also adjust each monster to have vitality instead of HP. I also usually knock of a couple of hit die from their health also. I figured that on average you want monsters to have vitality equal to .6 of their old HP.
3) The injury/vitality system and the First part of the skills section contain the bulk of the changes.

Final Hyena
2016-06-21, 09:26 AM
At level 9 you can use a 9th slot? That's slightly broken.
Knocking out is incredibly strong, there is already a system for it, (PHB page 198).
Also if monsters can't get injuries than the injury table severely screws over fighters/monks.

sengmeng
2016-06-21, 11:44 AM
Your typo suggests that you intend to put the PCs through a space shuttle accident.

p_johnston
2016-06-21, 05:50 PM
The spell point system is actually just straight out of the DM's guide. It really should be in two tables one for spell cost and one for Points per level. I'll see about fixing it. Also it's worth noting the verbal component part is purely a product of the campaign I'm currently running. I made it to be a quirk of that particular world.

As for knocking Out the current system is any melee attack can knock someone out instead of killing them. That seemed really weird to me so I turned it to disadvantage in order to make it harder.

Monsters can get injuries but It matters less. Since, even in the new system, they tend to have much more vitality then the PC's massive damage is rare. So they typically get them on Fumbles or being Critically hit. The reason I implemented the injury system I made is that my group was using the Injuries system from the DM's guide (pg 272) and it ended up being that when you fell down you either rolled below three and were crippled or you got healed of the injury almost immediately. I really wanted something in between "oh Pelor where is my leg, WHERE IS MY LEG?!" and nothing.

Thanks for pointing out the typo. I think this means I have to put my players in a spaceship and crash it now.

Final Hyena
2016-06-21, 06:06 PM
As for knocking Out the current system is any melee attack can knock someone out instead of killing them. That seemed really weird to me so I turned it to disadvantage in order to make it harder.
Going from a 60% chance of doing say 10-15 damage to a 35% chance of knocking out.
Knocking out is rather strong, especially when extra attack kicks in, you can take out an opponent most turns.

Monsters can get injuries but It matters less. Since, even in the new system, they tend to have much more vitality then the PC's massive damage is rare. So they typically get them on Fumbles or being Critically hit. The reason I implemented the injury system I made is that my group was using the Injuries system from the DM's guide (pg 272) and it ended up being that when you fell down you either rolled below three and were crippled or you got healed of the injury almost immediately. I really wanted something in between "oh Pelor where is my leg, WHERE IS MY LEG?!" and nothing.
Aye that's what I wanted to check, I often see crit fumble systems that disproportionately hurt classes with many attacks, but as you have the fumble be applied to enemies on a crit it balances out nicely.

p_johnston
2016-06-21, 06:51 PM
Going from a 60% chance of doing say 10-15 damage to a 35% chance of knocking out.
Knocking out is rather strong, especially when extra attack kicks in, you can take out an opponent most turns.

Aye that's what I wanted to check, I often see crit fumble systems that disproportionately hurt classes with many attacks, but as you have the fumble be applied to enemies on a crit it balances out nicely.

Ok I think I see the confusion. In the base rules any time you would knock an enemy to 0 HP you could instead knock him out. I changed that rule. Now whenever you want to knock someone out you state so beforehand, role the damage, and if they reach 0 vitality they are unconscious instead. I'll change the rule to read more clearly.

Thanks for pointing that out by the way. I've been building up this rules over multiple sessions of play so sometimes I forget to put in import piece of information that both I and my PC's just know. I also just wrote that one in a stupidly confusing way so that was my bad.