PDA

View Full Version : Storm Sorcerer / Fighter multiclass?

TexasHays
2016-06-20, 09:47 PM
Creating a new character: Half-Elf storm sorcerer with either sailor or pirate background and I'm wanting to really play up the storm aspect, so that means taking spells like thunderwave and ray of frost which aren't the "best" spells I can choose.

Since many of those, as well as my subclass abilities, involve being within 10-15 feet of the enemy I was starting to think of multiclassing for survivability and RP flavor.
Tempest Cleric is the obvious choice but I really don't want to sacrifice my ability scores by choosing 13 Wisdom. So, perhaps one point in Fighter?
It grants me light armor, which would put me at 16 AC if I take "defense" fighting style (+3 DEX and +1 from Defense assuming I haven't raised my ability scores by then). It would also grant limited healing in "Second Wind", and a bit more HP (especially if I start fighter 1), and I really wouldn't sacrifice too much since I get my storm sorc capstone at 18. So as far as I'm aware I'll just be missing out on one sorcery point, one 7th level spell slot, and "Sorcerous Restoration".

Is it worth it? I imagine the character as a mainly spellcasting fighter who weaves through the battlefield with tempestous magic and using his rapier only when necessary/beneficial. I hope to mostly keep out of reach of enemies but since I need to be within relatively close range, it does get risky.

And if you do think its worth it, should I start as a fighter or sorcerer? I imagine the saving throw proficiencies as a Sorc are better, is that worth giving up 4 HP? Heavy armor is not a concern, so I "think" that's the biggest difference so my current plan is to start sorcerer. But I am very much a newbie so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Who knows, maybe I'm overthinking it and going straight Storm Sorcerer the full 20 levels is fine.

Edit: Oh, just in case this is relevant, here are my ability scores (unless my DM decides to have us roll) using point buy and my planned spells to start with.

Cantrips: Ray of Frost, Shocking Grasp, Minor Illusion, Frostbite
Spells: Thunderwave, Mage Armor (obviously Mage Armor would change if/when I took fighter for light armor)

STR: 8
DEX: 16
CON: 16
INT: 8
WIS: 10
CHA: 16

ES Curse
2016-06-20, 10:01 PM
Swashbuckler Rouge! The quintessential pirate, a 3 level dip gives you Expertise, Sneak Attack, Cunning Action, attacking with a weapon prevents opportunity attacks so you can run away, and you can even add your CHA modifier to initiative! The 13 DEX requirement should be fulfilled anyway, so you shouldn't have to tweak your stats too much.

pfctanman
2016-06-20, 10:05 PM
Hm, This build seems extremely interesting, but sounds limited, though I enjoyed reading it.

Veldrenor
2016-06-20, 10:12 PM
I think it's worth it, and I'd say start as a fighter for the extra HP. Or you could go with ES Curse's suggestion, play a swashbuckler, and take Booming Blade as one of your cantrips. If someone gets close enough that you have to use your rapier you hit them with Booming Blade, Fancy Footwork goes active so you can retreat, and they get blasted if they try to follow you.

bid
2016-06-20, 10:25 PM
So, perhaps one point in Fighter?
It grants me light armor, which would put me at 16 AC if I take "defense" fighting style (+3 DEX and +1 from Defense assuming I haven't raised my ability scores by then).
And medium armor for AC18 with defense style.

Specter
2016-06-20, 10:28 PM
1) At Sorcerer level 3, take Quicken Spell as one of your Metamagic options.
2) Take two fighter levels for Action Surge.
3) Use Action Surge and a quickened spell to cast two spells and a cantrip as a bonus action, or attacking-spell-cantrip, all in one turn.
4) Have fun destroying worlds.

Using a weapon is entirely optional to this build. You could use only a shield keeping a free hand for casting.

TexasHays
2016-06-20, 11:38 PM
Thanks everyone!

Swashbuckler does sound appealing but I really don't want to take more than one level not in Sorcerer.
Same with 2 levels of fighter, I think that costs me a bit more than I want to give up in my spell slots, etc.

Booming Blade does sound good! Once I have quicken plus more spell slots I can burn, it should combo well with my ability to fly 10 feet after casting spells (not cantrips unfortunately).

I think you're right about taking Fighter first, Veldrenor, its not as "fun" but the extra HP will be very helpful, plus I can use a shield for that one level, and it really only costs me my Charisma saving throw bonus, but my CHA is high anyway so having a bonus to my strength saving throw might be helpful. And luckily, I don't lose any of my desired skill proficiencies thanks to my race and background selections. The class ones overlap so I still end up with the same 6.

Another question: any suggestions with the cantrips? I think I might be forcing the flavor a tad too much and maybe I should grab fire bolt instead of either Ray of Frost or Frostbite (probably Ray, because Frostbite seems much more useful both to protect myself and utility to help out anyone about to get hit).

Laserlight
2016-06-21, 12:02 AM
Another question: any suggestions with the cantrips? I think I might be forcing the flavor a tad too much and maybe I should grab fire bolt instead of either Ray of Frost or Frostbite (probably Ray, because Frostbite seems much more useful both to protect myself and utility to help out anyone about to get hit).

See if your DM will let you refluff some spells as lightning/thunder-based.

Corran
2016-06-21, 12:31 AM
Seconding the rogue dip. Minimum of 2 levels, and then maybe grab a 3rd at some point later. Especially since you are going with a decent dex score. Plus extra skills and tool proficiencies are always nice.

Biggstick
2016-06-21, 01:43 AM
The 10' of movement from storm sorcerer is a bonus action, meaning you can't quicken a spell and utilize the movement on one turn.

MrStabby
2016-06-21, 02:01 AM
I think fighter is maybe a poor choice for a one level dip in this case.

Compare it to barbarian. Barbarian gets more hit points, +3 AC from unarmoured defence and rage. Fighter gets a load of proficiency you won't use and a fighting style.

TexasHays
2016-06-21, 07:56 AM
The 10' of movement from storm sorcerer is a bonus action, meaning you can't quicken a spell and utilize the movement on one turn.

You're right, I was far too tired last night and forgot all about that.

TexasHays
2016-06-21, 08:05 AM
I think fighter is maybe a poor choice for a one level dip in this case.

Compare it to barbarian. Barbarian gets more hit points, +3 AC from unarmoured defence and rage. Fighter gets a load of proficiency you won't use and a fighting style.

I didn't even think Barbarian! Rogue definitely does not work as a one level dip, it requires more commitment than I want, but Barbarian sounds perfect.

Barb will give me 16 AC starting out, 18 later on (I plan on getting both abilities to +4) with no armor, while studded leather plus fighter's "Defense" would give me a max of 17. (All numbers assuming no shield.)
I dismissed Rage earlier because two of the three parts are strength based, but the resistance to damage is helpful in certain situations.

It says you can't cast spells while raging, I'm assuming cantrips are included in that restriction? If so, that limits its usefulness but it allows me to end it as a bonus action so that's not a huge deal.

Arkhios
2016-06-21, 08:12 AM
I didn't even think Barbarian! Rogue definitely does not work as a one level dip, it requires more commitment than I want, but Barbarian sounds perfect.

Barb will give me 16 AC starting out, 18 later on (I plan on getting both abilities to +4) with no armor, while studded leather plus fighter's "Defense" would give me a max of 17. (All numbers assuming no shield.)
I dismissed Rage earlier because two of the three parts are strength based, but the resistance to damage is helpful in certain situations.

It says you can't cast spells while raging, I'm assuming cantrips are included in that restriction? If so, that limits its usefulness but it allows me to end it as a bonus action so that's not a huge deal.

Barbarian multiclass requires at minimum 13 Strength, which your current build cannot afford. It's a common misunderstanding, so as a friendly reminder:
You have to meet the prerequisites for multiclassing, both to and from a class.

Edit:
Seriously, Fighter is the best multiclass option for you as you can multiclass with either str OR dex 13.
Using a medium armor with which you are proficient doesn't apply any penalties whatsoever (you can wield a half-plate with only Str 8 and not be slowed down). Taking Medium Armor Master feat at some point would net you quite nice AC.

Half-plate 15+Dex (with MAM; max +3)+Defense (or Mariner* if DM allows it) = AC 19 and on top of that no penalties to Stealth either.

*Considering your background, I would definitely ask my DM to allow this fighting style. It only ever functions if you don't wear heavy armor and wield a shield, but it grants you +1 to AC and you have climb and swim speed equal to your land speed.

TexasHays
2016-06-21, 08:20 AM
Barbarian multiclass requires at minimum 13 Strength, which your current build cannot afford. It's a common misunderstanding so as a friendly remind: You have to meet the prerequisites for multiclassing, both to and from a class.

You're right! There's a reason I didn't think of them and when he made the suggestion I got too excited. It's the same reason I don't want to go Tempest Cleric, I don't need or want 13 wisdom.

And Mariner, while not quite as universal as Defense, is even better Flavor wise!

Arkhios
2016-06-21, 08:48 AM
As an answer to your earlier question regarding rage+cantrips. Unfortunately(?) Cantrips are still spells while they don't consume spell slots, so no, you couldn't cast cantrips while raging.

And by the way, mage armor (13+dex) is far better than light armor (at most 12+dex before magical bonuses)

TexasHays
2016-06-21, 08:51 AM
Yeah, medium armor will be the eventual goal, just the Fighter only gets either leather or chain mail to start unless I buy starting gear instead of choosing, which I might do. Otherwise I'll have to wait and buy it when I can.

Joe the Rat
2016-06-21, 09:08 AM
Studded leather + defense/mariner comes out the same as mage armor, so it's a bit of a wash.

Which makes me think about warlock2 - but not taking Eldritch Blast. Armor of Shadows (at will Mage Armor) and Fiendish Vigor (at will False Life) gives you the AC and pinch heal/durability, and two short rest 1st level slots (shield!), still letting you get up to sorc 18. Or swap out FV, and take Armor of Agathys for the thp (scalable by slot) and retributive damage.
You also get the light armor proficiency, but that's sort of moot here.

Bard1 would get you light armor and keep you on track for spell slots, but that leaves you one short on AC.

Seriously, though, if your goal is minimal dipping, ftr1 is probably your best option here.

Arkhios
2016-06-21, 09:11 AM
...responding in small drops...

About cantrips, I feel that too many people focus too much on the maximum possible damage potential and disregard very useful side-effects. While Firebolt is one of the more damaging cantrips, Fire is also one of the most resisted damage types, while cold resistance is more rare. Our sorcerer keeps using Ray of Frost whenever she doesn't feel like expending spell slots for magic missiles (that's her schtick; blast as much magic missiles per day as possible :D).

Anyway, Ray of Frost is reaaally good, 1d8 plus slowing the targets down works wonders and quite possibly even helps your allies (remember: D&D is supposed to be co-operative game, not just you against the whole world)

TexasHays
2016-06-21, 09:15 AM
Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I think that settles is and I'll be starting as Fighter 1, getting medium armor as soon as I can (or start with it if I can afford it and DM allows it).

One final question since you're all being awesome and letting me pick your brains: should I take Medium armor mastery feat?

I absolutely plan on taking "Elemental Adept" and since my starting abilities are 16,16,16,10,8,8 I plan on maxing CHA and was originally going to raise CON and DEX to 18 each. If I take MAM as well, that means one will have to stay 16.
I'm thinking DEX will stay at 16 since MAM only allows a max of +3 to AC from Dex so an extra +1 modifier won't mean much.

So, that means, at lvl 20 it would be 20, 18 CON, 16, 10, 8, 8 with Medium Armor Mastery and Elemental Adept.

Does that sound good, any recommendations outside of that?

TexasHays
2016-06-21, 09:17 AM

About cantrips, I feel that too many people focus too much on the maximum possible damage potential and disregard very useful side-effects. While Firebolt is one of the more damaging cantrips, Fire is also one of the most resisted damage types, while cold resistance is more rare. Our sorcerer keeps using Ray of Frost whenever she doesn't feel like expending spell slots for magic missiles (that's her schtick; blast as much magic missiles per day as possible :D).

Anyway, Ray of Frost is reaaally good, 1d8 plus slowing the targets down works wonders and quite possibly even helps your allies (remember: D&D is supposed to be co-operative game, not just you against the whole world)

I'm glad to hear someone else saying that! Sometimes people (including me) focus on optimizing too much. That makes me feel much more comfortable about my choices.

Arkhios
2016-06-21, 09:24 AM
Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I think that settles is and I'll be starting as Fighter 1, getting medium armor as soon as I can (or start with it if I can afford it and DM allows it).

One final question since you're all being awesome and letting me pick your brains: should I take Medium armor mastery feat?

I absolutely plan on taking "Elemental Adept" and since my starting abilities are 16,16,16,10,8,8 I plan on maxing CHA and was originally going to raise CON and DEX to 18 each. If I take MAM as well, that means one will have to stay 16.
I'm thinking DEX will stay at 16 since MAM only allows a max of +3 to AC from Dex so an extra +1 modifier won't mean much.

So, that means, at lvl 20 it would be 20, 18 CON, 16, 10, 8, 8 with Medium Armor Mastery and Elemental Adept.

Does that sound good, any recommendations outside of that?

That sounds good to me. Since you're focusing more on the casting and less on the whacking, Dexterity 16 with MAM is a-ok for the whole career. (It's only 2 points behind most other weapon users - so, don't sweat it).

You'll have great survivability from medium armor + defense/mariner, and can spare another known spell from not having to take mage armor which is welcome with your already limited selection.

Booming Blade might not see too much use for you, since I believe you'll prefer to stay away from melee as much as possible. Still, it's good to have if you can spare it.

In fact, our sorcerer is also a Storm Sorcerer and I've noticed that Thunderwave is amazing for Storm Sorcerers not wanting to stay in melee range (10 feet push away + 10 feet fly away) :P

MrStabby
2016-06-21, 09:37 AM

Sorry, I wasn't trying to recommend the Barbarian, just instead show that fighter was not a great choice.

Given the discussion about weaving in and out of combat I think rogue (2 levels) is more thematic and also more powerful. The skill expertise also helps you to have a broader set of abilities.

TexasHays
2016-06-21, 09:41 AM
Awesome, thanks for all the valuable information!

Yeah, Thunderwave is one of the main reasons I think I can pull the class off. I wish Elemental Weapon didn't require concentration, otherwise I might try for an even more "melee-ish" build but I can't complain.

Get close enough to trigger Heart of the Storm, Thunderwave and some wind spells to push them away, shocking grasp to help me get away from a metal armored enemy that got too close, and of course I still have the staples of mirror image, blink, and shield.

This character is finally starting to take shape!

TexasHays
2016-06-21, 09:49 AM
Sorry, I wasn't trying to recommend the Barbarian, just instead show that fighter was not a great choice.

Given the discussion about weaving in and out of combat I think rogue (2 levels) is more thematic and also more powerful. The skill expertise also helps you to have a broader set of abilities.

Oh I understand, I just got too excited lol. Rogue definitely fits from a flavor perspective but it doesn't really help my defense much compared to mage armor and sneak attack won't come up very much, especially as I start increasing in sorcerer levels. Cunning Action is definitely awesome though, would work well on the turns that I don't cast a spell that can trigger Tempestous Magic for my bonus action but I'm not sure if thats worth it.

I think I'll roll up two characters: one thats rogue 2/ sorc 1 and the other will be fighter 1 / sorc 2 and I'll send them through some simulated fights to see how it goes for my personal play style.

MrStabby
2016-06-21, 10:05 AM
Oh I understand, I just got too excited lol. Rogue definitely fits from a flavor perspective but it doesn't really help my defense much compared to mage armor and sneak attack won't come up very much, especially as I start increasing in sorcerer levels. Cunning Action is definitely awesome though, would work well on the turns that I don't cast a spell that can trigger Tempestous Magic for my bonus action but I'm not sure if thats worth it.

I think I'll roll up two characters: one thats rogue 2/ sorc 1 and the other will be fighter 1 / sorc 2 and I'll send them through some simulated fights to see how it goes for my personal play style.

Rogue doesn't help your defence much, if you just mean armour and hitpoints. If you mean your ability to stay alive then it is huge. Bonus action disengage, bonus action hide both contribute to you not taking damage. Being hidden also helps cover vs saves (so maybe not fireballs but targeted effects that need you to be seen) whereas armour doesn't.

If you do want a class for armour and weapon proficiencies then tweaking your starting stats to be able to take a level of cleric would get those without losing caster levels.

To throw some other stuff out there - how about a valor bard? Full caster with some martial backup, low on thunder/lightening spells but magical secrets can help. If you wanted to you could just go storm sorc (or tempest cleric) at some point when you have the levels you need.

ES Curse
2016-06-21, 02:13 PM

I would lean more toward Rouge 3 and add Sorc levels. Rouge 2 gives some interesting perks, but adding Rouge 3 (Swashbuckler) gives you a a better option to get out with Booming Blade/Fancy Footwork in that you not only don't take an opportunity attack, but your opponent can't chase you down on their turn without taking damage. Rakish Audacity is also amazing because it adds your CHA modifier to initiative (as a Sorcerer, you're going to buff the hell out of that anyway) and lets you use Sneak Attack anytime you only have one creature next to you.

If you just want straight armor, I'd say Fighter for a 1 level dip but Paladin if you are taking a 2 or 3 level dip. If you want your character overall enhanced with something that fits the background of a sailor or pirate, Swashbuckler Rouge 3 is the way to go.

Arkhios
2016-06-21, 02:20 PM
To throw some other stuff out there - how about a valor bard? Full caster with some martial backup, low on thunder/lightening spells but magical secrets can help. If you wanted to you could just go storm sorc (or tempest cleric) at some point when you have the levels you need.

This is getting a tad too far into the territory of telling the OP to do whatever he intended in a different way as you would want it, instead of respecting his wishes and goals.

He wants to make a Storm Sorcerer with as much sorcerer levels as possible. So let's respect that and keep our own personal preferences to ourselves. He doesn't want or need strength or wisdom. Let's respect that, and work from there. Let's try and suggest best options without trying to tell alternative paths to achieve something perhaps similar but still not the same.

Either rogue and fighter might seem reasonable, but let's face it, rogue requires the player to change his intended playstyle to make better use of rogue abilities. And on top of that, he would practically must take two levels in rogue to make the best of it.

Fighter only adds a few plain defensive abilities but on the other hand it doesn't require a single change in playstyle to be effective. Fighter doesn't require another level to gain the relevant benefits from the dip.

In the required minimal multiclassing sense, fighter is better than rogue.

Biggstick
2016-06-21, 03:13 PM
If you just want straight armor, I'd say Fighter for a 1 level dip but Paladin if you are taking a 2 or 3 level dip. If you want your character overall enhanced with something that fits the background of a sailor or pirate, Swashbuckler Rouge 3 is the way to go.

I absolutely agree with a Paladin dip for this character. Two levels of Paladin grants a ton of survivability as well as buffs to assist in melee combat (Bless, Divine Favor, Heroism, Shield of Faith). It's even early enough in Paladin levels that the PC hasn't made an Oath yet, which has all sort of fun meaningful implications for how s/he's played. It also grants you a level of spell caster, which would still allow for a Paladin 2 / Sorcerer 18 build, resulting in a level 19 spell caster. You'd only be behind 1 caster level overall compared to all the other casters. Plus you get to add Smites to your Booming Blades for even more damage!

This would lead to you potentially moving around assigned stats though, taking a 16 in Strength instead of Dexterity. I'd recommend dropping your assigned score of 15 in Con down to 14 (overall still a 15 with the Half Elf racial) and then eventually down the road taking Resilient Con (This would be at level 14 overall, assuming you maxed Charisma first). Taking the Defense fighting style and gaining Plate Armor plus a shield would have you at a base 21 AC. You are an extremely armored spell caster who can wade in with the best of them and still have access to level 9 spells.

This is getting a tad too far into the territory of telling the OP to do whatever he intended in a different way as you would want it, instead of respecting his wishes and goals.

He wants to make a Storm Sorcerer with as much sorcerer levels as possible. So let's respect that and keep our own personal preferences to ourselves. He doesn't want or need strength or wisdom. Let's respect that, and work from there. Let's try and suggest best options without trying to tell alternative paths to achieve something perhaps similar but still not the same.

Either rogue and fighter might seem reasonable, but let's face it, rogue requires the player to change his intended playstyle to make better use of rogue abilities. And on top of that, he would practically must take two levels in rogue to make the best of it.

Fighter only adds a few plain defensive abilities but on the other hand it doesn't require a single change in playstyle to be effective. Fighter doesn't require another level to gain the relevant benefits from the dip.

If you read the OP's post, s/he was actually asking for assistance in the choice of multiclassing. The only thing the OP really had an opposition towards was Cleric due to the Wisdom requirement. The OP also stated that the Sorcerer capstone at 18 was something they still wanted to have access to. You can still achieve all of the things the OP desired with multiclassing into Fighter, Rogue, or Paladin.

MrStabby
2016-06-21, 03:27 PM

The OP is free to do as they wish, obviously. The main point I took was:

"Is it worth it? I imagine the character as a mainly spellcasting fighter who weaves through the battlefield with tempestuous magic and using his rapier only when necessary/beneficial. I hope to mostly keep out of reach of enemies but since I need to be within relatively close range, it does get risky."

This gave the flavour and the mechanical style in which they saw the character being played - I simply saw the sorcerer as a means of achieving the style of play, rather than as an end in itself.

Hopefully this has caused no offence to anyone.

TexasHays
2016-06-21, 03:30 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Arkhios was dead-on though about me not wanting to change my abilities around much: increasing wisdom or strength, and wearing heavy armor, don't fit into my "character".

However, those are great ideas for multiclassing a storm sorc in general though and definitely helped me in my thought process and hopefully will help anyone who sees this thread in the future.

In an ideal world, Rogue would be the best choice but that means taking 2 or 3 levels in it which I'm not sure I want to do. I still want to be primarily a caster (and not much of a utility caster at that, he's all about Storm, both spells and temper) so I don't want to give up much.

Maybe 18 sorc / 2 rogue still fits. I'll have to play around with it.

But more than likely I'm going to go Fighter. Medium armor, Mariner fighting skill (perfect flavor), rapier in one hand, spells in the other, crowd control/evasion via shocking grasp, wind spells, thunderwave, etc while doing as much damage as I can with lightning spells and Elemental Adept/Heart of the Storm.

But thats what is perfect about D&D, all of these builds are very viable.

Arkhios
2016-06-21, 03:50 PM
But more than likely I'm going to go Fighter. Medium armor, Mariner fighting skill (perfect flavor), rapier in one hand, spells in the other, crowd control/evasion via shocking grasp, wind spells, thunderwave, etc while doing as much damage as I can with lightning spells and Elemental Adept/Heart of the Storm.

It just hit me. I realized that I once made exactly a character like this in Pathfinder when it was still new; A half-elf Fighter/Sorcerer with an elemental air bloodline (technically same as Storm Origin) waving a rapier. :D ...weird that it took so long for me to remember it.

eastmabl
2016-06-21, 04:39 PM

While you make good points about Ray of Frost, it is a misconception that cold resistance is rare. Looking at the 5e Monster Manual, 9 more monster entries are resistant to cold than fire.

Fire is the most common elemental immunity, which is a bigger deal in my mind.

Homework: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?379165-MM-Resistances-Immunities-Vulnerabilities-and-Damage