PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Jump DC

Grixis
2016-06-20, 09:48 PM
Long Jump from PHB 182: "you cover a number of feet up to your strength score if you move at least 10 feet"

What is odd about this is that it is not just setting a maximum result regardless of circumstances but is setting up a minimum result regardless of circumstances. It looks like this:

Str Score........Modifier...........Distance (ft).
09................... -1...................09.
10...................+0...................10.
11...................+0...................11.
12...................+1...................12.
13...................+1...................13.
14...................+2...................14.
15...................+2...................15.
16...................+3...................16.

As the distance covered does not require an ability check regardless of circumstances, I would liken the result to include taking a 10 on an ability roll. This gets us a new formula:

Long jump = die roll + strength score - 10

or

Long Jump = d10 + strength score

The oddity here is the ability check is based on the score itself and not the modifier. So if my player who has a 12 str wants to attempt to cover 16 feet of distance, that player would need to roll a 14 to do so.

Now let's factor in the Athletics skill. A skill modifier is made up of the relevant ability modifier + proficiency bonus. However, since the strength score is already factored into the Long Jump formula it makes sense to remove the ability modifier modifier from Athletics. The new formula becomes:

Long Jump = die roll + strength score + athletics proficiency bonus - 10

or

Long Jump = d10 + strength score + athletics proficiency bonus

This essentially creates new jump skill which complicates things a little bit but we can all thank Wizards for:
1. Basing a physical task on a score and not a modifier.
2. Not setting up example DCs

The maximum limitation I would put on jump distance is that it cannot exceed your movement capabilities of that turn. If your jump distance actually exceeds your movement speed then the player may need to use their action and movement in order to cover said distance.

I would appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Goober4473
2016-06-20, 10:06 PM
I probably wouldn't calculate the distance based on a check as older editions did, but rather ask for a check if the jump is either difficult (slippery ground or something) or a little outside their normal jump distance.

If you want a harder rule, maybe something like DC 15 Athletics lets you make a jump a couple of feet outside your normal range, and DC 20 lets you make a jump 5 feet more. If you fail less than 5, you can catch a ledge if applicable.

lperkins2
2016-06-21, 10:35 AM
I probably wouldn't calculate the distance based on a check as older editions did, but rather ask for a check if the jump is either difficult (slippery ground or something) or a little outside their normal jump distance.

If you want a harder rule, maybe something like DC 15 Athletics lets you make a jump a couple of feet outside your normal range, and DC 20 lets you make a jump 5 feet more. If you fail less than 5, you can catch a ledge if applicable.

Yeah, a 10' variance (or even 5') in how far you can longjump is silly. In track and field, most people who compete in the longjump vary by < 2', and that's with pushing yourself for maximum distance (thereby increasing the odds of a mishap). If you want to involve a roll, I'd recommend setting the distance jumped as STR feet + 1D20 inches. Obviously it only matters if those 20" make the difference between making the jump or not.

Easy_Lee
2016-06-21, 10:50 AM
Submitting for approval:

Use the normal jump rules according to strength score plus bonuses, etc.
If a move plus jump exceeds your total movement for that round, you must make a strength or dexterity save equal to the excess or fall prone where you land. Ex: Bob's move speed is 30', and he moves 20' then jumps 16'. He must make a DC 6 strength or dexterity save to avoid falling prone.

Edit: alternatively, just don't let people jump farther than they're allowed to move that round. However, this could lead to weirdness in situations where someone's jump speed exceeds their move, such as on difficult terrain after casting the jump spell.

Grixis
2016-06-21, 06:09 PM

Not a bad idea.