PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Help on race design plz

Sir cryosin
2016-06-21, 07:08 AM
I really like the race from guild wars 2 the Sylvari. I was thinking +2 to wisdom and +1 to intelligence. And they get Druidcraft cantrip. I was thinking about shillelagh. I feel they need something else to be a option to compete with people picking other races. What do ya'll have to say about this.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-06-21, 07:16 AM
What do ya'll have to say about this.

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about Guild Wars 2.

My advice would be: a) start from an existing race and tweak as needed. Say, start with High Elf, change the ability score increases, swap the weapons training for a second cantrip and... call it good?

Or b) read through the Musicus guide (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/edit?pref=2&pli=1) and figure out what you want to spend your points on. Cantrips at 0.5 points, so +3 to stats and 2no cantrips leaves you a good amount of room for other features.

Sir cryosin
2016-06-21, 10:54 AM
Sylvari are plant people that are born as a adult and have the knowledge and memoris of the all that can befor them. They are curious and seekers of knowledge. There a kind race lawful good or neutral good.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-06-21, 01:39 PM
So, I did some reading, and they're basically elves (https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/146169/Sylvari_08_concept_art__Sylvari_Night_.jpg). If reskinning a D&D elf isn't good enough, I'd go for something along the lines of...

Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 2 and your Intelligence score increases by 1.

Age. You awakened 25 years ago.

Alignment. Sylvari follow the teachings of the Pale Tree, which leads them towards good alignments. Some reject these ideals, however, and embrace what they call 'The Nightmare'.

Size. Sylvari are typically shorter than humans. Your size is medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision. Accustomed to twilit forests and the night sky, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

Green Fingers. You have proficiency in the Nature skill.

Solar Power. While in direct sunlight, your base walking speed is increased by 10 feet.

Sylvari Magic. You know the Dancing Lights, Druidcraft and Shillelagh cantrips. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Sylvan.