PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Is this house rule too much?

Nibbens
2016-06-21, 09:48 AM
So, my players are the creative type, and love to set up "combos" (as they've begun calling it).

A good example is that during combat, my druid will drench an enemy while the sorcerer will use a lightning spell against it. The PCs look to me to see if there will be an added effect.

I know that raw there is no bonus, but my players continuously seek out these little extras. While I encourage descriptive gameplay and role-play in and out of combat, I've been reluctant to give them a solid yes or no answer.

For the sake of consistency, I see no problem with rewarding my PCs with a numerical bonus to damage for extra description and the use of another PCs turn to pull off said "combos".

So, here's my thinking and my rough draft of my house rule:

Two or more players cooperating together to affect a single enemy with a spell or or attack may gain a bonus to damage or a bonus to the DC to resist a spell (players choice) as long as all the following criteria are met:
1) The "combination" affect will have 1 pc using a status effect, while the second seeks out damage.
2) The "combination" must have some level of creative description.
3) DM approval at that instance. I retain all rights to negate the effects or change the effects at will.

If all criteria are met, and the "combo" succeeds on all parts during play they players may gain one of two bonuses:
1) +1 damage per character level of the highest level character dealing damage. (non-multiplable, and always the energy type associated with the damage)
2) +1 to the DC of the spell in question (or -1 to a save, whichever is appropriate at the time)

It's a bit bloated, but I would like to reward them for creative gameplay. besides, getting +20 damage at max level is a whole lot less than what a max level druid could do. So it soaks up action economy for a lesser, yet more descriptive effect (plus whatever status spell was previously applied).

Thoughts?

Florian
2016-06-21, 10:11 AM
Tough topic, as there are "real" mechanical combos and then there´re what you describe.

The problems begin when you implement a house rule as described and then the actual combos that are available come into it. What to do then? Escalate it again one step or disregard the third step of added benefits?

I give you a simple example:
Ill Omen enforces rerolls, Djinni Form or Summon Monster for an Air Elemental changes the environment, using Call Lightining then upgrades the damage from 3d6 to 3d10 per Lightning, which is pretty hard to resist due to Ill Omen.

That is a "combo" that is already included within the core rules and the handling is fixed: Step up the damage dice under certain conditions.

Keep that in mind and also talk about your players for that.

FocusWolf413
2016-06-21, 10:20 AM
Just wing it every time.

Gildedragon
2016-06-21, 10:22 AM
Make the bonus effects not be damage but Conditions; look at the PF dirty trick combat maneuver for an idea of how to implement it.

dascarletm
2016-06-21, 10:24 AM
If you use hero points, let them use hero points to set up a combo, and increase the effects as you see fit. Case-by-case. I wouldn't put a hard-fast rule to it.

If no hero points, just do as above without costing the players. They will have fun, and feel like their creativity is being rewarded. Get creative with the bonus they gain. You can have clever enemies use similar combos on them as well. Use your judgement on what is or is not too much.

I would let them know that combos may not work the same every time.

Kurald Galain
2016-06-21, 10:24 AM
So, my players are the creative type, and love to set up "combos" (as they've begun calling it).
I like it a lot. It's great to encourage creativity.

Bear in mind that most combos rely on the first player doing something weaker than he could normally do, and that the combo only works if both moves connect. So you are well justified in giving a clear and substantial bonus to this. With that in mind, your first bonus is good, but your second suggestion is too weak to be noticeable in gameplay.

Other examples, depending on the combo used, are to give the victim the "prone" or "on fire" condition; push him 1d3 squares away from the effect; or to increase the area of effect of the second ability used.

Necromancy
2016-06-21, 11:20 AM
Make the bonus effects not be damage but Conditions; look at the PF dirty trick combat maneuver for an idea of how to implement it.

This, by far